2020 2nd Round Draft Pick(s)

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

WizarDynasty
Veteran
And1: 192

Re: 2020 2nd Round Draft Pick(s) 

Post#301 » by WizarDynasty » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:41 pm

good guy
Build your team with five shooters using Paul Pierce Form deeply bent hips and lower back arch at same time. before rising into shot. Elbow not pointing to the ground! } Avdija=young Paul Pierce
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#302 » by Ruzious » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:01 pm

WizarDynasty wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:
Ruzious wrote:More on Malachi Flynn:
Read on Twitter

Could he be the Wizlets pick at 37?

He would be a great pick. Tre Jones looking healthy and showing high end athleticism after his hip issues is big too.
Add in Pritchard, Riller, and Winston as well... and there is no reason NOT to get a PG in this draft.

I see issues with his hip bend. Can move explosively and keep his hips bent. Bad knees i think. He probably needs to be alot longer to make it on the wiz.

It might be tough for him to get a lot longer.

Remember the scouting reports on Fred VanVleet. He's not quick enough to get separation, he's not long enough (6'2 wingspan) to defend, he can't do this, he can't do that, he's got mediocre facial hair, etc. But damn, can he play basketball. Sometimes it's better to look at what a player can do rather than what he can't.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,367

Post#303 » by doclinkin » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:40 pm

Hip bend is the new bowlegged. Welcome back wiznasty.
WizarDynasty
Veteran

Post#304 » by WizarDynasty » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:21 pm

doclinkin wrote:Hip bend is the new bowlegged. Welcome back wiznasty.

Yeah i was like a prophet for the board back in those days. Opening curious eyes to another dimension heavily influenced their behavior but they had no clue why. Those were the good days.
Build your team with five shooters using Paul Pierce Form deeply bent hips and lower back arch at same time. before rising into shot. Elbow not pointing to the ground! } Avdija=young Paul Pierce
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#305 » by payitforward » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:43 am

Ruzious wrote:...Sometimes it's better to look at what a player can do rather than what he can't.

IMO, that's one of the most difficult & most important skills -- to be able to find & assess that.

It is always easier, always more efficient, & usually the optimal thing, to whittle down negatively. Much easier to eliminate. This point Ruz makes is along the same lines.

At a certain moment, you have to have a vision of a player. It has to be based on who he really is, for sure, what is in the numbers -- otherwise it's based in your own head, & that will not work. But it has to see negatives -- or, better, limitations -- within a vision of positives.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#306 » by payitforward » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:45 am

WizarDynasty wrote:

Yeah i was like a prophet for the board back in those days. Opening curious eyes to another dimension heavily influenced their behavior but they had no clue why. Those were the good days.

No, man. Now are the good days -- welcome back. Now stay. Be a voice, a new voice come back.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#307 » by payitforward » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:18 pm

Every single year there is at least one terrific player to come out of R2. We have the #37 pick this year. & we may buy a pick from Philly (#34 or #36).

Moreover, this draft, while arguably thin at the top, is extremely deep. There will be some terrific prospects for us to choose from.

We need WizarDynasty to spend some time finding us the targets for our #37 pick -- & at least 1 or 2 more picks that we may wind up with.

So far, WD, you've only checked in about 4 guys who will likely be there at #37 -- Flynn, Carey, Perry & Woodard -- & all of those takes were negative. We need you to point to some candidates with potential to surprise.

& we also need to find the guy we should try to buy a pick for further down in the round. Not to mention someone who might go undrafted yet could still turn out well.

Now... I assume you're a busy guy, WD. I'm not trying to take you away from the more important activities of daily life!

Yet, still... let's have it, man! :) You can do it!
WizarDynasty
Veteran

Post#308 » by WizarDynasty » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:28 pm

depressing stats for sure
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,465

Post#309 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:40 am

Not to mention musclegrabby
In Rizzo we trust
payitforward
RealGM

Post#310 » by payitforward » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:49 pm

WizarDynasty wrote:
payitforward wrote:Every single year there is at least one terrific player to come out of R2. We have the #37 pick this year. & we may buy a pick from Philly (#34 or #36).

Moreover, this draft, while arguably thin at the top, is extremely deep. There will be some terrific prospects for us to choose from.

We need WizarDynasty to spend some time finding us the targets for our #37 pick -- & at least 1 or 2 more picks that we may wind up with. ...

Look Bro, 90 Percent of the picks taken in after 20 won't be in the league. ....

Well... sorry to rattle your cage, bro, & since my question is one you're not interested in -- which is fine, obviously! -- I won't ask again: peace!

Still...
Spoiler:
...we both know that "90 Percent... won't be in the league" bit is... let's say 'exaggerated.' :) After all, here are a few names: Ryan Anderson, Serge Ibaka, Nicolas Batum, George Hill, Nikola Pekovic, DeAndre Jordan, Mario Chalmers, & Goran Dragic. All taken #21 or later, half of them in R2, & all from the same draft.

Plus, still from that same draft, I seem to have left out Omer Asik, Luc Mbah a Moute, Courtney Lee, & Kosta Koufos. No great players there, obviously, but long careers & useful guys. Every one of them was better, for example, than half of the top 14 picks that same year. Unless a person would prefer Joe alexander, Jerryd Bayless, Jason Thompson, Brandon Rush, or Anthony Randolph.

Not to mention that, if some GM had been really lucky & had both the #2 & #3 picks that year, he'd have come away with O.J. Mayo & Michael Beasley -- not just one but both of them! :)
WizarDynasty
Veteran

Post#311 » by WizarDynasty » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:55 pm

payitforward wrote:
WizarDynasty wrote:
payitforward wrote:Every single year there is at least one terrific player to come out of R2. We have the #37 pick this year. & we may buy a pick from Philly (#34 or #36).

We need WizarDynasty to spend some time finding us the targets for our #37 pick -- & at least 1 or 2 more picks that we may wind up with. ...

Look Bro, 90 Percent of the picks taken in after 20 won't be in the league. ....

Well... sorry to rattle your cage, bro, & since my question is one you're not interested in -- which is fine, obviously! -- I won't ask again: peace!

Still...
Spoiler:
...we both know that "90 Percent... won't be in the league" bit is... let's say 'exaggerated.' :) After all, here are a few names: Ryan Anderson, Serge Ibaka, Nicolas Batum, George Hill, Nikola Pekovic, DeAndre Jordan, Mario Chalmers, & Goran Dragic. All taken #21 or later, half of them in R2, & all from the same draft.

Plus, still from that same draft, I seem to have left out Omer Asik, Luc Mbah a Moute, Courtney Lee, & Kosta Koufos. No great players there, obviously, but long careers & useful guys. Every one of them was better, for example, than half of the top 14 picks that same year. Unless a person would prefer Joe alexander, Jerryd Bayless, Jason Thompson, Brandon Rush, or Anthony Randolph.

Not to mention that, if some GM had been really lucky & had both the #2 & #3 picks that year, he'd have come away with O.J. Mayo & Michael Beasley -- not just one but both of them! :)

Here is issue, I already see alot of players projected to go as high as top 12, that look like 2nd round picks to me. For instance, for instance, Okongwu is a plodder and undersized. He has alot of bully to his game that won't translate to the next level. He is mid to late 1st round pick in talented drafts.
Okoro late first round. Haliburton is late first round pick, Devin Vassell would be a second rounder. I personally only see about 8 starters in this draft. I see like 2 or 3 high impact starters, and none of the players is all nba level-- like alot of the greats entering the league. There might be a some Euro like Jokic who no has enough video but shows the physical traits that he shows right now. That is the type of player that everyone is looking for now anyways. So to get that kind of guy in the 2nd round is going to be difficult unless its a prospect that doesn't have alot of video available but is eligible for the draft.
WizarDynasty
Veteran

Post#312 » by WizarDynasty » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:11 pm

Remember the scouting reports on Fred VanVleet. He's not quick enough to get separation, he's not long enough (6'2 wingspan) to defend, he can't do this, he can't do that, he's got mediocre facial hair, etc. But damn, can he play basketball. Sometimes it's better to look at what a player can do rather than what he can't.

Going back and looking at VanVleet at Wichita state, the big thing that stands out about him is that he has exceptional hip bend while dribbling. He can explode, stop, and still maintain his hip bend. He also shoots with a high elbow which shows that his shot mechanics are really refined, not amateur. He also had very sturdy build, usually players with that type of build can't maintain a long duration hip bend while dribbling.
Malachi Flynn does not have hip bend, and its not something you can fix. Hip bend is related to your core muscles, you spine, ankle and calfs. Guys who haven't done it their whole life, try to do, and develop knee injuries very quickly.
Its like speaking a foreign language, if you wait to late in life, it becomes very difficult because your brain's motor coordination begins to harden. Same thing with when we say a younger player has more potential in most cases than an older player. Their body is still growing and adjusting to physical forces it experiences. After a certain point, your bones stop growing and if they haven't experienced certain forces, they won't adapt where as if they experience them while they are still growing, the bones will mold to the forces.
If you don't see a long hip bends in points guards in scouting videos, they are not going to magically develop it after you draft them.

VanVleet had amazing hip bend while dribbling and he could maintain that bend when accelerating and deaccelerating. When he crosses through his legs, he has a low to the ground hip bend, and he maintains it, its gives an advantage over the the defender who can't switch his feet without returning to an upright position.

and I am not talking about slight hip bends, i am talking about a deep hip bend with a wide balanced stance. Being able to keep a deep hip bend while accelerating and stopping multiple times is like doing a hakeem dream shake. It's a super power that should be highly valued, especially if the point guard has power in his frame.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#313 » by payitforward » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:18 pm

Very interesting, WD. But, really, this just changes the question before us slightly: if it ain't Malachi Flynn, is there someone else? If so, who is it?

IOW, looking at a bunch of R2 guard prospects, does one of them stand out in this regard? Or more than one? E.g.

Skylar Mays:

Nate Hinton:

Ty-Shon Alexander:

Payton Pritchard:

Hey, I'm not going to ask you to spend your time any way but however you want! But... if you do want... :)

I'm particularly interested in how you see Pritchard's shot/shooting form.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Post#314 » by pcbothwel » Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:06 am

PIF... You know my feelings about it... LOVE Pritchard and think he might be the gem of the PG group in the 2nd.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#315 » by payitforward » Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:37 am

Pritchard has really amazing range on the 3-ball doesn't he?
payitforward
RealGM

Post#316 » by payitforward » Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:40 am

One thing I'm seeing in recent mocks is a precipitous fall in where they have Paul Reed spotted -- this most recent one suggests that he'll go at #50. Wasn't long ago we were seeing him routinely mocked in the early 20s.

What does this mean? Nothing obviously!

For a long time, the draft was like some distant event, seemingly getting more distant rather than closer. Now it's 4 weeks away; I'm becoming nervous.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,904

Post#317 » by TGW » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:03 am

Totally off-topic, but Admiral Schofield is an embarrassment. If they pick another dud like him in the second round, then this front office is officially going to be garbage to me. I'm already questioning most of their moves so far.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
WizarDynasty
Veteran

Post#318 » by WizarDynasty » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:17 am

payitforward wrote:Very interesting, WD. But, really, this just changes the question before us slightly: if it ain't Malachi Flynn, is there someone else? If so, who is it?

IOW, looking at a bunch of R2 guard prospects, does one of them stand out in this regard? Or more than one? E.g.

Skylar Mays:

Nate Hinton:

Ty-Shon Alexander:

Payton Pritchard:

Hey, I'm not going to ask you to spend your time any way but however you want! But... if you do want... :)

I'm particularly interested in how you see Pritchard's shot/shooting form.

Pritchard shooting form is advanced, nice landing mechanics, great hip bend, excellent high elbow of the above the eyesocket.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager

Post#319 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:42 pm

Wow. That tape on Pritchard is impressive. Range all day long and is an incredible array of low elevation finishes at the rim.
In Rizzo we trust
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager

Post#320 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:45 pm

This is absolutely the year to buy a 2nd rounder. Get two of the following:

Tillman
Pritchard
Diakite
Flynn
Reed