Game 36: Celtics @ Wizards - 7PM

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,015

Re: Game 36: Celtics @ Wizards - 7PM 

Post#81 » by dckingsfan » Tue Jan 7, 2020 6:06 pm

DCZards wrote:
Ruzious wrote:While Mathews is out, I just hope Beal can play like Mathews has the last few games. Wow, did I say that out loud? It's true. Beal can learn from watching the way Mathews plants his feet for the corner 3 and how he is able to draw contact after the shot. Obviously Beal is the better all-around player, but the other guys get more of an opportunity to use their skills when he's not playing.

Yes, Beal needs to shoot the 3 ball a LOT better. And he definitely needs to take a step back at times and let his teammates shine. But there's a lot more that Mathews can learn from watching Beal than vice versa. Then maybe Mathews will someday have a 25-5-5 season like Beal did last season.

I don't know - this year's version of Beal hasn't been all that. Last year's model of Beal - absolutely.

Come back healthy (and work on your 3 point shot) Brad.
CntOutSmrtCrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,159

Post#82 » by CntOutSmrtCrazy » Tue Jan 7, 2020 7:03 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
DCZards wrote:
Ruzious wrote:While Mathews is out, I just hope Beal can play like Mathews has the last few games. Wow, did I say that out loud? It's true. Beal can learn from watching the way Mathews plants his feet for the corner 3 and how he is able to draw contact after the shot. Obviously Beal is the better all-around player, but the other guys get more of an opportunity to use their skills when he's not playing.

Yes, Beal needs to shoot the 3 ball a LOT better. And he definitely needs to take a step back at times and let his teammates shine. But there's a lot more that Mathews can learn from watching Beal than vice versa. Then maybe Mathews will someday have a 25-5-5 season like Beal did last season.

I don't know - this year's version of Beal hasn't been all that. Last year's model of Beal - absolutely.

Beal has had a mediocre December, he was really good before that. He became an inefficient shooter taking a lot of hero ball, but do you expect him to exert max effort when this team is obviously going nowhere this season. Some of you are fickle as hell.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#83 » by dckingsfan » Tue Jan 7, 2020 7:28 pm

CntOutSmrtCrazy wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:
DCZards wrote:Yes, Beal needs to shoot the 3 ball a LOT better. And he definitely needs to take a step back at times and let his teammates shine. But there's a lot more that Mathews can learn from watching Beal than vice versa. Then maybe Mathews will someday have a 25-5-5 season like Beal did last season.

Beal has had a mediocre December, he was really good before that. He became an inefficient shooter taking a lot of hero ball, but do you expect him to exert max effort when this team is obviously going nowhere this season. Some of you are fickle as hell.

Yes, as the leader of this young team. It is "the thing" I most expect him to do. And it is the standard that I would want Brooks to hold him.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#84 » by Ruzious » Tue Jan 7, 2020 7:58 pm

nate33 wrote:
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:Mostly, we’re a lot better on defense without Beal. Less IT means less 4 on 5.

Beal has been lousy on D, but so has Hachimura and Bryant. It's not all Beal's fault. I actually think Hachimura is the weakest link (except IT, of course).

And the presence of Mahinmi, a legit rim protector, is a big change as well. It's not just that Bryant is kinda bad, it's that Mahinmi is actually quite good on D.

I just looked at 82games.com and was shocked to see how bad the Wiz D has been this season with Beal on the court. -15.6 per 100 defensive possessions http://www.82games.com/1920/19WAS8.HTM - with him on the court vs with him off the court. So, as bad as the Wiz defense has been this season, it's been far worse when Beal's played. Otoh, he has a +4.3 on offense, giving him an overall -11.3.

The Rui vs Bertans +/- situation... Rui's got a -14.8 (ouchouchouch), while Bertans has a +12.9. It's early in Rui's career, but it's a questionmark for Tommy.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,974

Post#85 » by DCZards » Tue Jan 7, 2020 8:01 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
CntOutSmrtCrazy wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:I don't know - this year's version of Beal hasn't been all that. Last year's model of Beal - absolutely.

Yes, as the leader of this young team. It is "the thing" I most expect him to do. And it is the standard that I would want Brooks to hold him.

Pretty sure Beal's teammates don't have any problem with him taking some time off (like he is now) or even taking some plays off, if he feels it necessary. They know how competitive he is and how hard he plays...he doesn't need to prove anything to them.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#86 » by dckingsfan » Tue Jan 7, 2020 8:49 pm

DCZards wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:
CntOutSmrtCrazy wrote:Beal has had a mediocre December, he was really good before that. He became an inefficient shooter taking a lot of hero ball, but do you expect him to exert max effort when this team is obviously going nowhere this season. Some of you are fickle as hell.

Pretty sure Beal's teammates don't have any problem with him taking some time off (like he is now) or even taking some plays off, if he feels it necessary. They know how competitive he is and how hard he plays...he doesn't need to prove anything to them.

If he needs to take plays off he should signal to the coach to take him out. If he wants to lead, effort will be one of the prerequisites.

What we don't need is a player that feels like he has nothing to prove.

I don't mean to twist your words but look at the best players in the L - they try to prove themselves every time they step on the court.
Meliorus
Analyst
And1: 1,185

Post#87 » by Meliorus » Tue Jan 7, 2020 9:21 pm

Ruzious wrote:
nate33 wrote:
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:Mostly, we’re a lot better on defense without Beal. Less IT means less 4 on 5.

Beal has been lousy on D, but so has Hachimura and Bryant. It's not all Beal's fault. I actually think Hachimura is the weakest link (except IT, of course).

And the presence of Mahinmi, a legit rim protector, is a big change as well. It's not just that Bryant is kinda bad, it's that Mahinmi is actually quite good on D.

I just looked at 82games.com and was shocked to see how bad the Wiz D has been this season with Beal on the court. -15.6 per 100 defensive possessions http://www.82games.com/1920/19WAS8.HTM - with him on the court vs with him off the court. So, as bad as the Wiz defense has been this season, it's been far worse when Beal's played. Otoh, he has a +4.3 on offense, giving him an overall -11.3.

The Rui vs Bertans +/- situation... Rui's got a -14.8 (ouchouchouch), while Bertans has a +12.9. It's early in Rui's career, but it's a questionmark for Tommy.

Rui's trade value is the highest it will ever be right now (and I doubt we can even get anything but a late 1st rounder). Furthermore, it's no surprise how bad the defense is with Beal on the court. He never rotates and he never cares. A lot of our older, established veterans on the team walk around and display horrible body language during games. The hungry players care more
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#88 » by Illmatic12 » Tue Jan 7, 2020 9:52 pm

nate33 wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:Bonga legitimately looks like a player now, he's probably undergone the most drastic transformation of anyone on the roster. His frame looks stronger and less "teenagery", he is switching 1-5 seamlessly, is very aware and twitchy on help defense and sniffs out plays before they happen. And on offense he's using his stride length to get into the paint and threaten the rim .

I can't believe Bonga played 32 minutes, and the entire time, it looked like he belonged out there. Usually, I hold my breath while he is on the court, hoping that the other team doesn't figure out that he is useless on offense and a foul magnet on defense. But, lo and behold, he WASN'T a liability at either end of the floor!

If he keeps playing like that, he might be better than Hachimura (at least, for now). At least he is defensively aware and makes sure that anyone penetrating the lane will have to navigate over his outstretched arms. I really like that he is making the switch from a wanna-be ball-handling guard into a defensively-switchable role-playing power forward who can occasionally surprise you by putting the ball on the floor and making a play. If he can just develop a 3-ball, he'll be a real useful player in this league.

Bonga was a weird player to figure out when he first came here but the coaching staff is starting to help him understand what he does well. When he is playing aggressively he reminds me of a younger Boris Diaw type player. He can be a unique Swiss Army knife who does a lot of little things on the court for us. Especially his defensive activity , if we had 1-2 more players like him our D would be set.

Re: Hachimura - think I’ve seen you posting some stuff about his defensive numbers . To me it’s too early to judge what he’ll be defensively. He started his career off on the wrong foot - playing heavy minutes with IT, Bertans, Bryant plus they were mostly sitting in a soft 2-3 zone which doesn’t foster defensive engagement/communication the way switching does. Some players are terrible off the ball but when you ask them to switch they are more engaged . Jaylen brown is a perfect example, an absolute space cadet off-ball but everyone seems to think he’s a great defender. It’s just that they mainly ask him to switch and use his physical tools on-ball. Tatum is a bit soft in 1v1 defense , but he’s a brilliant help defender for a young wing & they use him to his strengths.

The emergence of Bonga, AP, Payton, even Mahinmi being playable and TBJ improving make this a different team defensively from the early season roster. They now have guys who can switch and guard POA - when Rui returns I’d like to see a larger sample size of him playing with this group. To me, his path to being a plus defender has to be in a switching scheme not sitting in the back of a zone. Physically I think he can switch onto bigger wings better than anyone else we have.. for ex these moves by Tatum last night probably wouldn’t have worked if Rui was defending him (bc he’s way stronger than TBJ or Bonga will ever be ):

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Read on Twitter
?s=21

My overall point is if Rui has bad off-ball instincts but shows that he can use his tools to switch , he isn’t a lost cause. They just have to plan on building a Celtics-style defense and factor that into the draft/FA strategy. Atm I feel pretty adamant on wanting Sheppard to draft an athletic wing with elite team defense IQ to pair with Rui (*cough* Isaac Okoro).

Return to Washington Wizards