ImageImageImageImageImage

Game 48: Wizards (16-31) vs Nets (21-26) Sat, 2/01 @8 PM ET

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Re: Game 48: Wizards (16-31) vs Nets (21-26) Sat, 2/01 @8 PM ET 

Post#21 » by WallToWall » Sun Feb 2, 2020 5:26 am

gambitx777 wrote:I've said it before Bryant is a great back up center as is. He needs time to grow into a full time starter. Some how moving bertains for capella and keeping Bryant makes more sense by the day !

Finding another big who can shoot the 3-ball as well as Bertans would be hard. Bertans moves well without the ball, and he can rebound well enough. I wouldnt trade him. Wagner, once he puts some more time in the weight room, could be the starting C. He would be a good average C.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 885

Post#22 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sun Feb 2, 2020 5:55 am

Whole team played hard especially Beal, as well as Bonga,, Bertans, Bryant, Ish, Mahinmi, TBJ, GP2.... And they played defense! Rebounded, got loose balls, contested shots.... great game and total team effort! Love it.
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,043

Post#23 » by queridiculo » Sun Feb 2, 2020 9:53 am

WallToWall wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:I've said it before Bryant is a great back up center as is. He needs time to grow into a full time starter. Some how moving bertains for capella and keeping Bryant makes more sense by the day !

Finding another big who can shoot the 3-ball as well as Bertans would be hard. Bertans moves well without the ball, and he can rebound well enough. I wouldnt trade him. Wagner, once he puts some more time in the weight room, could be the starting C. He would be a good average C.

Bertans has struggled to get open for quite some time now, and there's not much else he's giving you offense when he isn't getting the attempts.

He's a terrible defender, and a below average rebounder.

I am not sure I'd be willing to bet $10-14 million on a one trick pony.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#24 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sun Feb 2, 2020 1:54 pm

queridiculo wrote:
WallToWall wrote:

Bertans has struggled to get open for quite some time now, and there's not much else he's giving you offense when he isn't getting the attempts.

teams

It's because teams are keyed in on him ... It'll be harder for teams to do with John on the floor .
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,281

Post#25 » by nate33 » Sun Feb 2, 2020 2:38 pm

queridiculo wrote:
WallToWall wrote:

I don't think he's a terrible defender at all. I think he's fine. He's no stopper or anything, but he does his job. Looking at the hustle stats, he contests more shots per minute than any non center on the roster. His DFG% is better than all the bigs on the roster except Bonga and Mahinmi (who are just slightly better). He gets more deflections than everyone except Payton, Mahinmi, Brown, Bonga and Wagner. He draws more charges than everyone except Wagner and Pasecniks.

His big weakness is rebounding, but he rebounds better than Bonga and only slightly worse than Hachimura.

You aren't wrong that he is having more trouble getting shots up lately. But that doesn't necessarily mean he isn't helping the offense. The opposing defense really has to extend the defense far to contain Bertans, which opens things up for others. It might not be a coincidence that Beal and Brown are playing better offensively lately. Bertans' on/off differential has remained insanely good even though he's slumping a bit from 3.

I'm not saying I wouldn't consider trading him. I definitely would. I just disagree with the characterization that he's a "one trick pony". And I don't think something in the $10-14M range is a dramatic overpay.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#26 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sun Feb 2, 2020 2:51 pm

nate33 wrote:
queridiculo wrote:
WallToWall wrote:Finding another big who can shoot the 3-ball as well as Bertans would be hard. Bertans moves well without the ball, and he can rebound well enough. I wouldnt trade him. Wagner, once he puts some more time in the weight room, could be the starting C. He would be a good average C.

I don't think he's a terrible defender at all. I think he's fine. He's no stopper or anything, but he does his job. Looking at the hustle stats, he contests more shots per minute than any non center on the roster. His DFG% is better than all the bigs on the roster except Bonga and Mahinmi (who are just slightly better). He gets more deflections than everyone except Payton, Mahinmi, Brown, Bonga and Wagner. He draws more charges than everyone except Wagner and Pasecniks.

His big weakness is rebounding, but he rebounds better than Bonga and only slightly worse than Hachimura.

You aren't wrong that he is having more trouble getting shots up lately. But that doesn't necessarily mean he isn't helping the offense. The opposing defense really has to extend the defense far to contain Bertans, which opens things up for others. It might not be a coincidence that Beal and Brown are playing better offensively lately. Bertans' on/off differential has remained insanely good even though he's slumping a bit from 3.

I'm not saying I wouldn't consider trading him. I definitely would. I just disagree with the characterization that he's a "one trick pony". And I don't think something in the $10-14M range is a dramatic overpay.

Just to add on a side note, all indications are they have every intention of keeping him. Supposedly he wants to sign, his wife REALLY likes it here. It has played into them signing his fellow countryman AP who has the same agent. The Wizards like his fit on the team especially with Wall's return, and word is they've told teams he's not available at the trade deadline....
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,959

Post#27 » by dckingsfan » Sun Feb 2, 2020 5:00 pm

Best defensive game for Beal that I have seen for him this season... BTW, I would rather see Bryant and Beal together in the starting lineup. And Mahimni, Smith, Brown, Bertans as the second unit.

As we make our push for the playoffs :D
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,623

Post#28 » by pancakes3 » Sun Feb 2, 2020 5:02 pm

Bertans isn't usually a bad defender but he was getting burned last night. I think he's worth keeping. Also I don't think it's Bertans not getting open as of late but rather the team's.not running sets to get him open. He's been setting more picks than getting them - and they're not really looking for him as much, instead looking to get Beal and Thomas going in the paint more. Also, less minutes.
Bullets -> Wizards
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,729

Post#29 » by gambitx777 » Sun Feb 2, 2020 5:49 pm

I don't think he's terribly on D. He's just serviceable enough. I just get Ryan Anderson flash backs on him and I wouldn't be mad trading him for a good return now.
queridiculo wrote:
WallToWall wrote:

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
Meliorus
Analyst
And1: 1,185

Post#30 » by Meliorus » Mon Feb 3, 2020 3:50 am

gambitx777 wrote:I don't think he's terribly on D. He's just serviceable enough. I just get Ryan Anderson flash backs on him and I wouldn't be mad trading him for a good return now.
queridiculo wrote:
WallToWall wrote:Finding another big who can shoot the 3-ball as well as Bertans would be hard. Bertans moves well without the ball, and he can rebound well enough. I wouldnt trade him. Wagner, once he puts some more time in the weight room, could be the starting C. He would be a good average C.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app

Bertans is below average, but if you want to talk terrible, look at Rui Hachimura and Thomas Bryant (at a position where defense is most valued).
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#31 » by Illmatic12 » Mon Feb 3, 2020 4:24 am

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:
queridiculo wrote:

teams

It's because teams are keyed in on him ... It'll be harder for teams to do with John on the floor .

If anything, we are going to be able to sign Bertans for a bargain.

All of his stats and percentages will go up next year with Wall setting him up.
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#32 » by I_Like_Dirt » Mon Feb 3, 2020 3:38 pm

dckingsfan wrote:As we make our push for the playoffs :D

The NBA this season is just odd. There are currently 13 teams playing .600 or better basketball right now and 17 teams below .500. There is basically no middle ground at all and not enough good teams to take all the playoff spots. It's not unusual for 8th seeds and such to not be as good as the top end teams but there are a lot of good teams and even more terrible teams.
Bucket! Bucket!
DANNYLANDOVER
Veteran
And1: 438

Post#33 » by DANNYLANDOVER » Mon Feb 3, 2020 4:32 pm

Beal's all-star snub might be a blessing in disguise. He's actually been playing defense the last two games. No surprise that we've won both of them.

Return to Washington Wizards