ImageImageImageImageImage

Jerome Robinson thread

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

pcbothwel
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,536

Re: Jerome Robinson thread 

Post#101 » by pcbothwel » Fri Aug 7, 2020 12:35 pm

Kanyewest wrote:Robinson's bubble stats - 17 ppg 3 rpg 2 APG in 29 minutes per game with a 58.7 TS%.

I said when we made the trade that it was a clear win. We had no cap room this next year, but were far under the tax. So taking a flyer on a prospect like Robinson was well worth it. I see a lot of Gary Harris to his game. Good, not great athlete with high level college experience. Disappointing as a shooter compared to college, but better overall scorer and defender than originally thought.

I could see him having breakout year in the next year or 2 on paper if his shot falls (See 2016-17 Harris), but doesnt create, draw fouls, or rebound at a high level.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 4,344

Post#102 » by payitforward » Fri Aug 7, 2020 1:28 pm

prime1time wrote:
I_Like_Dirt wrote:
prime1time wrote:Who said he's floundering? He just played 30 minutes a game. Shot 4-8 from the field, 2-4 from 3 and had 2 rebounds, 2 assists and 2 steals. Tbh, I don't understand what you're saying. Scott Brooks see's it fit to give him 30 minutes a game. Why would we send him to the G-League. Perhaps you should first argue he doesn't deserve any minutes. Then when he doesn't get minutes, we can argue the merits of him going to the G-League. As it stands since he's been acquired by the Wizards he's gotten consistent minutes. If he's going to get consistent minutes with the NBA squad saying we should send him to the G-League is bizarre. Not sure how that isn't clear.

Who are you? Jerome Robinson's auntie or something?

Nobody is saying the Robinson is terrible and should be cut loose. You're just making up random straw men in your own mind. If people actually wanted him gone they'd be suggesting Robinson should just be cut. Sending him to the d league IS an argument for developing him down there. That's basically the argument absolutely everyone is making and you're changing it because it's easier to argue against something else. He had one game where he was okay and hasn't been good at all otherwise. The argument isn't to dump him; it's to give someone else an opportunity.

If the Wizards are going to give him a chance, you're right, there's nothing anybody can do here. Based on that premise, though, there is 0 reason to actually discuss anything because there's nothing any of us can do about anything. It's a logical trap that renders everything meaningless. And the thing is, the Wizards can't actually send him to the d league next season without his consent. That only works in his first two seasons. It's quite possible there's more to it and he isn't consenting but the early returns really aren't impressive.

Yes, I'm Jerome Robinson's auntie. But back to the actual conversation, perhaps I'm a fan who watches basketball and understands that players need to be given opportunities. Why would you trade for a player then send him to the D-League when the team sucks? We are literally one of the worst teams in the league. If this team was genuinely competitive and Robinson was hurting us? Fine. Sending him to the D-League would make sense. BUt n a team that's struggling and obviously separating chaff from wheat and deciding who's staying and who's going, what purpose would it serve. The only person creating a logical trap is yourself. Read what you wrote, either everyone jumps on board with sending Robinson to the D-League or there's nothing to discuss. There's a ton to discuss. Like ways that Jerome Robinson could improve his game to become a better player. Is that such a crazy concept?

I think primetime's pov here is common sense.

Robinson is guaranteed for this year, & the deadline for picking up his 2021-22 contract ($5+ m) is only 7-8 weeks away! We need to make a judgment about him. He should play 30 minutes a game!
Remember -- if you don't like the post above: blame Doc not me.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 2,237

Post#103 » by DCZards » Fri Aug 7, 2020 3:02 pm

payitforward wrote:
Robinson is guaranteed for this year, & the deadline for picking up his 2021-22 contract ($5+ m) is only 7-8 weeks away! We need to make a judgment about him. He should play 30 minutes a game!

I think that decision has already been made. Robinson has played well enough during the restart to prove that he deserves a longer look. I expect his 2021-22 contract to be picked up.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#104 » by payitforward » Fri Aug 7, 2020 4:07 pm

DCZards wrote:
payitforward wrote:Robinson is guaranteed for this year, & the deadline for picking up his 2021-22 contract ($5+ m) is only 7-8 weeks away! We need to make a judgment about him. He should play 30 minutes a game!

I think that decision has already been made. Robinson has played well enough during the restart to prove that he deserves a longer look. I expect his 2021-22 contract to be picked up.

You might be right that the decision has already been made. But even if it hasn't, I also expect them to pick up the option.

& I can understand the decision: after all, Robinson cost us nothing to acquire, & we are a bad team. We aren't going to be a good team in 2021-22 either. Not enough "there" there. So it makes sense to give him some rope.

If he works out, great. If not, his spot will open up.

Of course, if we were a good team, why then it would not make sense to pick up that option. That's why the Clippers, who are a good team & who did have a cost to acquire Jerome Robinson gave him away for nothing whatever (except to save the cost of his 2020-21 salary).
payitforward
RealGM

Post#105 » by payitforward » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:56 pm

Worth noting what Jerome Robinson did during the bubble. Here are the overall shooting numbers. Anyone who has other info could add it...

Overall, Jerome went 53-134 -- 39.6%

But, he went 24-69 on 3-point attempts -- 34.8% -- which brought his efg% up 48.5%. The average efg% for an NBA wing is 51.8%

Those numbers, btw, are virtually identical to his overall season numbers as a Wizard.

Return to Washington Wizards