Game 57: WIZ (20-36) vs NETS (26-30) Wed, 2/26 @ 7PM

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,873

Re: Game 57: WIZ (20-36) vs NETS (26-30) Wed, 2/26 @ 7PM 

Post#61 » by payitforward » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:49 pm

DCZards wrote:
payitforward wrote:We were very lucky to win that game. Which we did because, & only because of the combined shooting & rebounding of Bonga, Bryant & Brown. Why they only played 17, 15 & 13 minutes respectively I will never understand. Is Bryant on a 15 minute time limit...?

Or, if you prefer, you could say we won only because the Nets managed to turn the ball over 18 times & miss 11 of 35 FTAs. It really wasn't our performance that won the game; it was theirs that lost it.

Still... nice to get a win!

Beal is the reason the Zards won this game. If he doesn’t score 17 pts in the fourth quarter we lose. (Yes, points and scoring do matter. :))

Offensively it was essentially two (LeVert & Dinwiddie) against one (Beal) in that fourth quarter. No one else on the Zards was much of a factor on offense in that quarter...or a threat to create their own offense. In fact, at times it looked like the other Zards were scared to even shoot the ball. Thankfully, Robinson took the shot that mattered most…after Beal found him open.

Role players like Bonga, Brown and Bryant were important contributors...but what wins most games are stars like Beal who can take over when the game is on the line.

I thought Bryant had a good game. He just needs to stay healthy. Seems like just when he’s getting his groove from the 2018-19 season back he has to sit a few games with an injury. Thomas is not playing on back-to-back games so, yeah, he might also be on a minutes restriction.

Beal shot the ball pretty well overall, just slightly better than his season average. & -- absolutely -- without his 4th quarter points, you are right, we would not have won.

OTOH, if Bonga, Brown, Bryant hadn't played really well -- better overall than Brad -- it wouldn't have mattered what Brad did; we would have had no chance to win.

Above all, however, the Nets gave the game away with their TOs & their horrible FT shooting.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,334

Post#62 » by nate33 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:16 am

payitforward wrote:
DCZards wrote:
payitforward wrote:We were very lucky to win that game. Which we did because, & only because of the combined shooting & rebounding of Bonga, Bryant & Brown. Why they only played 17, 15 & 13 minutes respectively I will never understand. Is Bryant on a 15 minute time limit...?

Or, if you prefer, you could say we won only because the Nets managed to turn the ball over 18 times & miss 11 of 35 FTAs. It really wasn't our performance that won the game; it was theirs that lost it.

Beal is the reason the Zards won this game. If he doesn’t score 17 pts in the fourth quarter we lose. (Yes, points and scoring do matter. :))

Offensively it was essentially two (LeVert & Dinwiddie) against one (Beal) in that fourth quarter. No one else on the Zards was much of a factor on offense in that quarter...or a threat to create their own offense. In fact, at times it looked like the other Zards were scared to even shoot the ball. Thankfully, Robinson took the shot that mattered most…after Beal found him open.

Role players like Bonga, Brown and Bryant were important contributors...but what wins most games are stars like Beal who can take over when the game is on the line.

I thought Bryant had a good game. He just needs to stay healthy. Seems like just when he’s getting his groove from the 2018-19 season back he has to sit a few games with an injury. Thomas is not playing on back-to-back games so, yeah, he might also be on a minutes restriction.

Beal shot the ball pretty well overall, just slightly better than his season average. & -- absolutely -- without his 4th quarter points, you are right, we would not have won.

OTOH, if Bonga, Brown, Bryant hadn't played really well -- better overall than Brad -- it wouldn't have mattered what Brad did; we would have had no chance to win.

Above all, however, the Nets gave the game away with their TOs & their horrible FT shooting.

Bryant, Bonga and Brown did not play better overall than Brad. That's ridiculous. Beal had a TS% of .582 with much of his offense created on his own. The rest of the team had a collective TS% of .530 while Beal was drawing the bulk of the defensive attention.

Beal carried the offensive load at an efficiency way better than the rest of the team. Bryant, Bonga and Brown could not have done that. If Beal wasn't there to carry the load, the extra marginal attempts that fell to other players would have been at an even lower efficiency.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#63 » by payitforward » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:00 am

Yes, nate, all that is straightforwardly true. Nor, did I say anything which contradicts it. For example, I didn't say that anyone "played better overall" than anyone else.

What I did say, however, was that we were lucky to win.

In order to win, you have to actually have the opportunity to do so. We had that opportunity because in less than 19% of our minutes, Bonga/Bryant/Brown had over 40% of our rebounds. Hell, they had almost 1/2 our offensive boards. They also shot a combined .699 TS%.

Yet, even in that case, we only won the game b/c the Nets gave it to us by shooting 68% from the line & turning the ball over 18 times.

The word "analyis" means "detailed examination of the elements or structure of something." It's what you have to do to understand how/why something complex happens.

But, don't get me wrong; I'm not claiming any great feat of it in what I said -- any idiot could see that Brooklyn gave the game away, & any idiot could see that the combined rebounding & TS% of Brown/Bonga/Bryant put us in a position where we had a chance to win, &, yes, any idiot could look up at the scoreboard & see who scored the most points. All 3 of those things are equally obvious.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Meliorus
Analyst
And1: 1,185

Post#64 » by Meliorus » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:42 am

Bryant was really bad. Every late game drive to the rim from Brooklyn’s guards was met with a late jump contest from Bryant.
Shoe
Bench Warmer
And1: 956

Post#65 » by Shoe » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:15 am

payitforward wrote:Yes, nate, all that is straightforwardly true. Nor, did I say anything which contradicts it. For example, I didn't say that anyone "played better overall" than anyone else.

What I did say, however, was that we were lucky to win.

In order to win, you have to actually have the opportunity to do so. We had that opportunity because in less than 19% of our minutes, Bonga/Bryant/Brown had over 40% of our rebounds. Hell, they had almost 1/2 our offensive boards. They also shot a combined .699 TS%.

Yet, even in that case, we only won the game b/c the Nets gave it to us by shooting 68% from the line & turning the ball over 18 times.

The word "analyis" means "detailed examination of the elements or structure of something." It's what you have to do to understand how/why something complex happens.

But, don't get me wrong; I'm not claiming any great feat of it in what I said -- any idiot could see that Brooklyn gave the game away, & any idiot could see that the combined rebounding & TS% of Brown/Bonga/Bryant put us in a position where we had a chance to win, &, yes, any idiot could look up at the scoreboard & see who scored the most points. All 3 of those things are equally obvious.

I await nates response with bated breath. Two titans of basketball philosophy duking it out.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#66 » by payitforward » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:45 pm

nate, rui & zards -- in no particular order -- are my favorite sparring partners! Could add a few more, of course (you know who you are), but... I love them the best!

As to my post above, I was in quite a bad mood yesterday (it's been a busy & somewhat trying week). Today, I'd write in a less testy way!!
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#67 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:45 pm

They did win...
Ruzious wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Who else knew/didn't know about realgm's game preview feature, which is located under scores?

EVERY game has some preview info before AND has advanced stats available after games if you're into that sort of "kinkiness". I associate geeks with freaks. Stat geek<-->stat freak. Analogous or similar like alternatives of the same word in a thesaurus.

IF I KNEW HOW, I could probably screen capture and post more stuff in a visual/picture is worth a thousand words format.

I'm real curious how Brooklyn (26-30) @ Washington (20-36) will go down...

Nice - I did not know that was there. But they don't tell us what the final score will be.

Hey, the Wiz took the Bucks to OT, so it's a given that they'll beat Brooklyn.

Dinwiddie's become a good player. If he can get his 3 point shooting up to a good percentage, he'd be all-star quality.

Sent from my SM-A205U using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#68 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:14 pm

As far as I am concerned next season the Wizards will be fine with Bonga, Bryant, and Brown, playing with Wall and Beal. I did not even mention Rui Hachimura, who I think of as an ideal sixth-man. (Recall Kevin McHale)

Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#69 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:15 pm

I am confident that he will turn his game around and play well before all is said and done.
DCZards wrote:Robinson has not shot the ball well at all. Maybe last night will help jumpstart that aspect of his game. But he has been a good rebounder and he's a better defender than I realized.

Bye bye Beal.

Return to Washington Wizards