ImageImageImageImageImage

Political Roundtable Part XXVIII

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

WIZKID
Senior
Posts: 677
And1: 14
Joined: Jun 02, 2002

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXVIII 

Post#1301 » by WIZKID » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:24 pm

As a Maryland transplant safe & secure in Bend Oregon.
I am watching way too much tv!
I cant help but notice how much more attractive the CNN Female anchors are than the fox female anchors.

Its startling.

Same goes for brains.

All trump fans look 1 generation from imbreding,
or less.
Wizardspride
RealGM
Posts: 12,777
And1: 6,686
Joined: Nov 05, 2004
Location: Olney, MD/Kailua/Kaneohe, HI
       

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXVIII 

Post#1302 » by Wizardspride » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:48 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
payitforward
RealGM
Posts: 13,741
And1: 4,264
Joined: May 02, 2012
Location: On the Atlantic

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXVIII 

Post#1303 » by payitforward » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:57 pm

Remember -- if you don't like the post above: blame Doc not me.
payitforward
RealGM
Posts: 13,741
And1: 4,264
Joined: May 02, 2012
Location: On the Atlantic

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXVIII 

Post#1304 » by payitforward » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:01 pm

Ruzious wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:
dobrojim wrote:^ in other words, and if this holds, tRump is going to have his @ss handed to him assuming he permits the election to even happen.

It seems clear at the moment that tRump is incapable of realizing what worked in 16 against HRC (see the Adam Serwer piece DCK(?) linked) is not working. And the madder/more frustrated he gets, the stupider he becomes.

And the stupider he becomes, the more he tweets and talks and the less question of how incredibly stupid this unfettered idiot actually is.

I have flipped to the zonk mode. Every sitting R senator has to go before I will consider voting for any R at the local or state level regardless of how much more qualified they are... The Rs no longer have any kind of governing principal - and Trump puts that on display daily with the complicit silence of the rest of the complicit R party.

Plus 1,000

Ditto.

Let's hear from nate on the subject of the rule of law.
Remember -- if you don't like the post above: blame Doc not me.
bsilver
Senior
Posts: 598
And1: 259
Joined: Aug 09, 2005
Location: New Haven, CT

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXVIII 

Post#1305 » by bsilver » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:47 pm

Trump is getting frustrated by teflon Joe.

Trump said he could shoot someone in plain sight on Fifth Avenue, and his supporters would still love him, and he was right.

Now he running against an old man, who plays loose with the truth, and has strongly supported a lot of bad policies, and it doesn't matter. Trump's mismanagement, and general evilness has managed to make Biden immune from attack.

Hillary Clinton was the opposite of teflon. Everything stuck. Maybe it was sexism. I was not a fan of HRC, but I have some sympathy that she was held to a different standard than Trump and Biden.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 6,235
And1: 2,063
Joined: Mar 24, 2010
       

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXVIII 

Post#1306 » by Zonkerbl » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:22 am

Here's what I find when I google image "zonk mode":

Image

Apparently I am a kpop social media subversive
daoneandonly - "You just said all cities are liberal. Cities are in states, so how the heck can all cities be liberal but all states arent? because you're full of crap"
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 6,235
And1: 2,063
Joined: Mar 24, 2010
       

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXVIII 

Post#1307 » by Zonkerbl » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:30 am

I think Hillary's mistake was she had the integrity to ran as who she was - a perfectionist. That's fine but all the jocks in the world resent the hell out of that. That's not nearly as attractive as Joe's true self - a kindly, squishy grandpa who genuinely loves everybody, and you know it's true because he's been through horrible tragedy and is the same Mr. Rogers clone that he was before. How can you not like the guy. Even if he is a bit of a mess sometimes. *Because* he's a bit of a mess sometimes. You know he means well and that's what counts. That's all we want - someone who's *trying* to do good. Instead of malignantly and deliberately being evil.

Still my last choice in terms of executing the exhausting policy reform program that has to happen, probably in just two years, but I understand why he's kicking Trump's a$$ right now. He's the President we *want.* Hopefully he'll put together a cabinet of leaders we need.
daoneandonly - "You just said all cities are liberal. Cities are in states, so how the heck can all cities be liberal but all states arent? because you're full of crap"
Wizardspride
RealGM
Posts: 12,777
And1: 6,686
Joined: Nov 05, 2004
Location: Olney, MD/Kailua/Kaneohe, HI
       

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXVIII 

Post#1308 » by Wizardspride » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:04 am

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Read on Twitter
?s=19


Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
User avatar
doclinkin
General Manager
Posts: 9,618
And1: 1,799
Joined: Jul 26, 2004
Location: .wizuds.

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXVIII 

Post#1309 » by doclinkin » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:07 am

Zonkerbl wrote:I think Hillary's mistake was she had the integrity to ran as who she was - a perfectionist. That's fine but all the jocks in the world resent the hell out of that. That's not nearly as attractive as Joe's true self - a kindly, squishy grandpa who genuinely loves everybody, and you know it's true because he's been through horrible tragedy and is the same Mr. Rogers clone that he was before. How can you not like the guy. Even if he is a bit of a mess sometimes. *Because* he's a bit of a mess sometimes. You know he means well and that's what counts. That's all we want - someone who's *trying* to do good. Instead of malignantly and deliberately being evil.

Still my last choice in terms of executing the exhausting policy reform program that has to happen, probably in just two years, but I understand why he's kicking Trump's a$$ right now. He's the President we *want.* Hopefully he'll put together a cabinet of leaders we need.


Slight disagreement. I think Hillary was stung by the nasty turn of politics in the Newt Gingrich "Contract on America" era (sic), and ever since was overly protective of her personal opinions and private self. Frankly the Hillary that was leaked in her emails would have been a better candidate: tough, sarcastic, focused on the right details, with a pointed sense of humor and smart priorities. Instead she kept a tight sphincter control of her image and instead came off as sour, persnickety, and business-as-usual in an era where Business has been one of the dangers. She lost momentum to Bernie who was a clear choice for change, and Trump who was a force for change but not in a good way.

As for Biden. He's a wishy washy Democratic answer to Ronald Reagan and Shrub Bush: a good natured fella you can invite to any picnic. Politically he's a windsock. Whoever blows the most wind will find him turning in their direction. Right now progressive ideas are blowing that mighty wind so he turns that way for influence on policy.

I do think his running mate is critical. They are the back up point guard behind a veteran who has a lot of miles on court...
User avatar
long suffrin' boulez fan
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,858
And1: 1,950
Joined: Nov 18, 2005
Location: Just above Ted's double bottom line
       

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXVIII 

Post#1310 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:22 am

doclinkin wrote:
Zonkerbl wrote:I think Hillary's mistake was she had the integrity to ran as who she was - a perfectionist. That's fine but all the jocks in the world resent the hell out of that. That's not nearly as attractive as Joe's true self - a kindly, squishy grandpa who genuinely loves everybody, and you know it's true because he's been through horrible tragedy and is the same Mr. Rogers clone that he was before. How can you not like the guy. Even if he is a bit of a mess sometimes. *Because* he's a bit of a mess sometimes. You know he means well and that's what counts. That's all we want - someone who's *trying* to do good. Instead of malignantly and deliberately being evil.

Still my last choice in terms of executing the exhausting policy reform program that has to happen, probably in just two years, but I understand why he's kicking Trump's a$$ right now. He's the President we *want.* Hopefully he'll put together a cabinet of leaders we need.


Slight disagreement. I think Hillary was stung by the nasty turn of politics in the Newt Gingrich "Contract on America" era (sic), and ever since was overly protective of her personal opinions and private self. Frankly the Hillary that was leaked in her emails would have been a better candidate: tough, sarcastic, focused on the right details, with a pointed sense of humor and smart priorities. Instead she kept a tight sphincter control of her image and instead came off as sour, persnickety, and business-as-usual in an era where Business has been one of the dangers. She lost momentum to Bernie who was a clear choice for change, and Trump who was a force for change but not in a good way.

As for Biden. He's a wishy washy Democratic answer to Ronald Reagan and Shrub Bush: a good natured fella you can invite to any picnic. Politically he's a windsock. Whoever blows the most wind will find him turning in their direction. Right now progressive ideas are blowing that mighty wind so he turns that way for influence on policy.

I do think his running mate is critical. They are the back up point guard behind a veteran who has a lot of miles on court...


Say it loud!

Andre Miller for Veep
In Rizzo we trust
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
Posts: 28,258
And1: 5,585
Joined: Jul 12, 2003
Location: Boardman gets paid!

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXVIII 

Post#1311 » by I_Like_Dirt » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:32 am

doclinkin wrote:Slight disagreement. I think Hillary was stung by the nasty turn of politics in the Newt Gingrich "Contract on America" era (sic), and ever since was overly protective of her personal opinions and private self. Frankly the Hillary that was leaked in her emails would have been a better candidate: tough, sarcastic, focused on the right details, with a pointed sense of humor and smart priorities. Instead she kept a tight sphincter control of her image and instead came off as sour, persnickety, and business-as-usual in an era where Business has been one of the dangers. She lost momentum to Bernie who was a clear choice for change, and Trump who was a force for change but not in a good way.

As for Biden. He's a wishy washy Democratic answer to Ronald Reagan and Shrub Bush: a good natured fella you can invite to any picnic. Politically he's a windsock. Whoever blows the most wind will find him turning in their direction. Right now progressive ideas are blowing that mighty wind so he turns that way for influence on policy.

I do think his running mate is critical. They are the back up point guard behind a veteran who has a lot of miles on court...


I think there was a significant dose of sexism there. She suffered the same fate against Obama in the primaries, too, only Obama was dramatically better at winning elections than Bernie was. When put under the microscope, I do think women face some obstacles that men simply don't. I don't love everything about Hillary or agree with everything she proposes but she's always been tough, super competent and doesn't suffer fools. That doesn't play well for women electorally when it comes to building a broad base. Biden, on the flipside is basically Trump but with his heart in the right place for the most part so nothing sticks to him for the same reasons. Hillary wasn't nearly so bullet proof. Obama wasn't, either, but just took everything and drowned it out with African American voter turnout everywhere. We know Obama took those hits, though, because those issues came out in Hillary's campaign, too.
Bucket! Bucket!
User avatar
FAH1223
RealGM
Posts: 11,125
And1: 3,939
Joined: Nov 01, 2005
Location: Laurel, MD
       

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXVIII 

Post#1312 » by FAH1223 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:16 am

montestewart wrote:
dobrojim wrote:^ in other words, and if this holds, tRump is going to have his @ss handed to him
assuming he permits the election to even happen.

It seems clear at the moment that tRump is incapable of realizing what
worked in 16 against HRC (see the Adam Serwer piece DCK(?) linked)
is not working. And the madder/more frustrated he gets, the stupider
he becomes.

People were free in 2016 to speculate on what Trump as president might be. A lot of people were in for a surprise. Even a lot of Republicans who would never vote for a Democrat seem pretty astonished at the relentless ineptitude, unintelligibility, vulgar callousness, flagrant disregard for ethical standards, and narcissism. And the authoritarianism. My stepfather is a lifelong Republican who probably voted for Trump but surely will not this time around, and I heard him recently call Trump a fascist. My father, a moderate-Democrat-who-occasionally-votes Republican (Reagan 1980, at least) and has never been outspoken politically is recently quite critical of everything, everything that Trump does. The others that voted for Trump seem pretty silent, and my aunt seems a little embrarrassed that her boyfriend supports Trump.

Trump's approach seems to challenge supporters to be 100% all in, without criticism, or stand on the outside with the other losers. Perhaps a few of those on the fence have chosen to break away from dangerous fantasy toward the grey area of sanity.

However, with all the voter fraud tricks that the GOP, Republican Senate, and White House routinely signal they are prepared to employ, there is no reason to be confident of defeating Trump. The Trump party wears its comically veiled intent on its Iron Sleeve, seemingly as a promise to supporters to counter polls and bad press.

They intend to try to steal a righteous victory. If they do, Trump will appropriately brag, "Like George Washington said, [APPLAUSE] I cannot tell a lie. [APPLAUSE] I'm the Comeback King. [APPLAUSE] This country [APPLAUSE] is my home. [APPLAUSE] I stole home [APPLAUSE] and won the Super Bowl [APPLAUSE] for America. [APPLAUSE] Did I mention I?" [APPLAUSE]

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Image
User avatar
FAH1223
RealGM
Posts: 11,125
And1: 3,939
Joined: Nov 01, 2005
Location: Laurel, MD
       

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXVIII 

Post#1313 » by FAH1223 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:51 am

Read on Twitter
Image
User avatar
gtn130
Analyst
Posts: 3,499
And1: 2,722
Joined: Mar 18, 2009

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXVIII 

Post#1314 » by gtn130 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:18 pm

doclinkin wrote:I think Hillary was stung by the nasty turn of politics in the Newt Gingrich "Contract on America" era (sic), and ever since was overly protective of her personal opinions and private self.


Yeah, I agree with this, and I think it pretty much defined her identity as a politician since then. In the 80s/90s she was a vocal advocate for change and was genuinely a progressive feminist. The Newt Gingrich class of Republicans beat her into submission with constant barrages of unfair misogynistic criticism that totally shaped the narrative around her to the point that she had to remake herself as a boring technocratic centrist. Her willingness to compromise and cave to Republican criticism really doomed her in a lot of ways.

I watched the Hillary documentary on Hulu a few months ago and it changed my perspective about her a little bit - I think she was constantly forced into lose-lose situations by bad actors.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 13,335
And1: 5,873
Joined: Feb 25, 2009

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXVIII 

Post#1315 » by montestewart » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:21 pm

WIZKID wrote:As a Maryland transplant safe & secure in Bend Oregon.
I am watching way too much tv!
I cant help but notice how much more attractive the CNN Female anchors are than the fox female anchors.

Its startling.

Same goes for brains.

All trump fans look 1 generation from imbreding,
or less.

TV News leans toward pretty plastic looking people in general, a look that is heightened by TV makeup and lights (the first impression I ever had of Shepard Smith was his pancake makeup). My impression is Fox New has a less diverse look in general, which only heightens for me what is already an unattractive look. TV News is and always has been selling looks )and titillation), and I don't want to contribute to that, but beyond that, the freeze dried look is not that appealing to me.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 13,335
And1: 5,873
Joined: Feb 25, 2009

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXVIII 

Post#1316 » by montestewart » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:26 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:Here's what I find when I google image "zonk mode":

Image

Apparently I am a kpop social media subversive

I saw that, at zonkas****.com
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 13,335
And1: 5,873
Joined: Feb 25, 2009

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXVIII 

Post#1317 » by montestewart » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:34 pm


In 2004, many promoted Bush reelection with variations of the weak backhand rationalization that you don't change presidents during a war. Trump is looking to remix that sweet song, "I may have sunk the ship, but you don't change horses on the Titanic." Listen for some people to offer that excuse as we approach election day. Look for battered-voter-syndrome types to eat it up.
dobrojim
RealGM
Posts: 13,624
And1: 1,529
Joined: Sep 16, 2004

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXVIII 

Post#1318 » by dobrojim » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:47 pm

I_Like_Dirt wrote:
doclinkin wrote:Slight disagreement. I think Hillary was stung by the nasty turn of politics in the Newt Gingrich "Contract on America" era (sic), and ever since was overly protective of her personal opinions and private self. Frankly the Hillary that was leaked in her emails would have been a better candidate: tough, sarcastic, focused on the right details, with a pointed sense of humor and smart priorities. Instead she kept a tight sphincter control of her image and instead came off as sour, persnickety, and business-as-usual in an era where Business has been one of the dangers. She lost momentum to Bernie who was a clear choice for change, and Trump who was a force for change but not in a good way.

As for Biden. He's a wishy washy Democratic answer to Ronald Reagan and Shrub Bush: a good natured fella you can invite to any picnic. Politically he's a windsock. Whoever blows the most wind will find him turning in their direction. Right now progressive ideas are blowing that mighty wind so he turns that way for influence on policy.

I do think his running mate is critical. They are the back up point guard behind a veteran who has a lot of miles on court...


I think there was a significant dose of sexism there. She suffered the same fate against Obama in the primaries, too, only Obama was dramatically better at winning elections than Bernie was. When put under the microscope, I do think women face some obstacles that men simply don't. I don't love everything about Hillary or agree with everything she proposes but she's always been tough, super competent and doesn't suffer fools. That doesn't play well for women electorally when it comes to building a broad base. Biden, on the flipside is basically Trump but with his heart in the right place for the most part so nothing sticks to him for the same reasons. Hillary wasn't nearly so bullet proof. Obama wasn't, either, but just took everything and drowned it out with African American voter turnout everywhere. We know Obama took those hits, though, because those issues came out in Hillary's campaign, too.


I keep going back to the same story on HRC. She was flawed by having been the victim of a decades
long and vicious propaganda campaign which did an amazingly successful job on accentuating her
flaws.

The thing I remember most is how one of the late night people (Jimmy F or Conan) did a segment
where they completely made up the 'latest scandal' that she was implicated in. Then went out
on the street and asked people if they had heard this latest awful story. A remarkable number
of people would say 'YES and isn't it terrible?' With a public perception like that, it's remarkable
she came as close to winning as she did. That said, she and the dems needed to do a better job
to diminish that perception. They thought they could win anyway and with a lot of things
going against her, especially Comey but also the Russians, they came up just short.
America paid the price, a horrible one, for this miscalculation.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 40,318
And1: 6,555
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXVIII 

Post#1319 » by Ruzious » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:48 pm

Ladies and gents, the comedy stylings of Donald "Shecky" Trump:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-says-push-for-less-coronavirus-testing-was-sarcasm/ar-BB15YZZz?li=BBnb7Kz

He'll be here all week; actually several more months.
"Look, you never know when you may need to borrow a cup of sugar, maybe some milk or a handgun" - Dan C. from Texas
dobrojim
RealGM
Posts: 13,624
And1: 1,529
Joined: Sep 16, 2004

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXVIII 

Post#1320 » by dobrojim » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:51 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
dobrojim wrote:^ in other words, and if this holds, tRump is going to have his @ss handed to him assuming he permits the election to even happen.

It seems clear at the moment that tRump is incapable of realizing what worked in 16 against HRC (see the Adam Serwer piece DCK(?) linked) is not working. And the madder/more frustrated he gets, the stupider he becomes.

And the stupider he becomes, the more he tweets and talks and the less question of how incredibly stupid this unfettered idiot actually is.

I have flipped to the zonk mode. Every sitting R senator has to go before I will consider voting for any R at the local or state level regardless of how much more qualified they are... The Rs no longer have any kind of governing principal - and Trump puts that on display daily with the complicit silence of the rest of the complicit R party.


This. 1000x this.

The GOP does not believe in democracy. They only crave power to enrich themselves and their patrons.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

Return to Washington Wizards