ImageImageImageImageImage

Political Roundtable Part XXVIII

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,015

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXVIII 

Post#1861 » by dckingsfan » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:35 pm

Ruzious wrote:How are there so many morons like this in power?

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/florida-sheriff-forbids-staff-visitors-164500089.html

Can you say civil lawsuit?
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#1862 » by pancakes3 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:41 pm

Ruzious wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:
Ruzious wrote:I very much hope getting the virus makes you immune from getting it again. It looks like it does, but there are some doubts.

This is going to be the issue moving forward. Is this going to be like the flu with various strains or will a vaccine give you immunity and for how long. I haven't seen anything definitive on this - you?

I'll check with my microbiologist acquaintance on this to see what's the latest.

it's fairly established that coronaviruses in general are not nearly as mutative as flu viruses, and covid-19 specifically is not particularly mutative even for a coronavirus, though we've identified something like 5 different strains of covid-19 out there currently.

so basically, this is a one-and-done vaccine and even if it mutates, the existing vaccine will be similar enough that it'll do in a pinch.

for reference, flu vaccines are throwing darts. last year's vaccine is modified, predictively as to what potential/common mutations dictate that next year's new strains might look like. so when it's a "bad" year it means the vaccine missed and is not as effective.
Bullets -> Wizards
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#1863 » by dckingsfan » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:03 pm

pancakes3 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:This is going to be the issue moving forward. Is this going to be like the flu with various strains or will a vaccine give you immunity and for how long. I haven't seen anything definitive on this - you?

I'll check with my microbiologist acquaintance on this to see what's the latest.

it's fairly established that coronaviruses in general are not nearly as mutative as flu viruses, and covid-19 specifically is not particularly mutative even for a coronavirus, though we've identified something like 5 different strains of covid-19 out there currently.

so basically, this is a one-and-done vaccine and even if it mutates, the existing vaccine will be similar enough that it'll do in a pinch.

for reference, flu vaccines are throwing darts. last year's vaccine is modified, predictively as to what potential/common mutations dictate that next year's new strains might look like. so when it's a "bad" year it means the vaccine missed and is not as effective.

That is definitely the hopeful side. If the efficacy of the virus is even moderately high and the above holds - we should be in pretty good shape.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#1864 » by dckingsfan » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:41 pm

Seen this? A different way of looking at the election outcome vs. just a number...

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2020-election-forecast/
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#1865 » by dckingsfan » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:59 pm

Don't know if anyone follows worldometers… but, we were falling nicely and now seem to be plateauing at 50K new cases per day.

If you go to the charts below the states, you can click on the 7 day moving average check box.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,530

Post#1866 » by closg00 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:14 pm

dckingsfan wrote:Seen this? A different way of looking at the election outcome vs. just a number...

All of these models need to be thrown into the trash given the sophistication of the mail sabotaging and suppression scheme.

Trump is way to dumb to have thought this up, who do you think is the architect of this plan?
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#1867 » by dckingsfan » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:25 pm

closg00 wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:Seen this? A different way of looking at the election outcome vs. just a number...

All of these models need to be thrown into the trash given the sophistication of the mail sabotaging and suppression scheme.

Trump is way to dumb to have thought this up, who do you think is the architect of this plan?

Suppression has been in the playbook for a long time. I think now they are just saying it out loud and are all-in.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#1868 » by dckingsfan » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:25 am

Worthwhile read...

Read on Twitter
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#1869 » by dckingsfan » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:35 am

100K here, 100K there - eventually it becomes a real number... How many dead by November, anyone? Bueller?

Read on Twitter
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#1870 » by FAH1223 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:57 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

This is the “return to normalcy” that the Party wants. Repeating the same bullshyt that brought Trump. Democrats will be in for a rude awakening if Biden doesn't govern going after concentrated power. This is a great opportunity for Dems to lower their deficits in rural America but it looks like they're squandering it.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,185

Post#1871 » by Zonkerbl » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:16 pm

Wow, look how tall Barron is now, he was the same height as his dad earlier this year

Read on Twitter
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#1872 » by FAH1223 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:16 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1873 » by Zonkerbl » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:21 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
[snip!]

This is the “return to normalcy” that the Party wants. Repeating the same bullshyt that brought Trump. Democrats will be in for a rude awakening if Biden doesn't govern going after concentrated power. This is a great opportunity for Dems to lower their deficits in rural America but it looks like they're squandering it.

I worked in the Economic Research Service of the USDA from 1999 to 2003. Yeah, monopoly power in agriculture is an issue that got buried every time we tried to bring it up.

Having said that, Trump has been an idiot about agriculture - promoting protectionist policies, and eliminating the ethanol additive requirement in gasoline that gave corn producers $2 billion in WTO-immune subsidies each year - that Biden is trying to capitalize on.

Don't worry farmers are only 1/2% of GDP and 2% of employment and shrinking each year, so it actually doesn't really matter. Kind of fascinating to see the amount of political influence ag has actually. It's because of the subsidies, which gives them a huge amount of free money that they basically reinvest each year into lobbying to preserve their subsidies.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1874 » by Ruzious » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:43 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:Wow, look how tall Barron is now, he was the same height as his dad earlier this year

Read on Twitter

Maybe he can get a college scholarship. Probably 6'6ish at 14. Hey, if he can play basketball, I don't care what his politics are.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#1875 » by dckingsfan » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:49 pm

@FAH, have you read the Unity Platform document?
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,338

Post#1876 » by dobrojim » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:42 pm

pancakes3 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:This is going to be the issue moving forward. Is this going to be like the flu with various strains or will a vaccine give you immunity and for how long. I haven't seen anything definitive on this - you?

I was a biologist, now retired, at NIH. From everything I've heard to date, we simply don't know
whether a COVID vaccine will confer lasting immunity. It's absolutely early days.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#1877 » by dckingsfan » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:04 pm

dobrojim wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:I'll check with my microbiologist acquaintance on this to see what's the latest.

I was a biologist, now retired, at NIH. From everything I've heard to date, we simply don't know
whether a COVID vaccine will confer lasting immunity. It's absolutely early days.

Definitely early days, efficacy and the duration of immunity are two of the keys (I guess side-effects and the percentage that are willing to take the vaccine are the other two).

Both early and interesting days.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,162

Post#1878 » by AFM » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:42 pm

Anyone know how I can get my hands on this vaccine Putin cooked up
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#1879 » by dckingsfan » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:08 pm

AFM wrote:Anyone know how I can get my hands on this vaccine Putin cooked up

Connecting you to my source... he seems happy and should be able to hook you up...

Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1880 » by Zonkerbl » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:14 pm

The one based on oleander, which is deadly poisonous and will kill in an extremely horrible and painful way?

Return to Washington Wizards