Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,023

Re: NBA Season Suspended Indefinitely 

Post#121 » by dckingsfan » Mon May 25, 2020 7:17 pm

nate33 wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:There is word on the street of a play in tournament . Where some teams will have the chance to play in the the 7-8 see or some other version of a modified play of picture that would give teams a few games in contention to have a chance to make it in or participate .

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app

Seems like the old 15 team tourney would be the best.

Round 1 only the team with the best record gets a bye.

2 against 15
3 against 14
4 against 13
Etc.

I don't think the 15 seed in either conference should have the right to be involved in a play-in.

I could see a mini-tournament between the 7, 8, 9 and 10 seeds to earn the right to play the #1 seed and #2 seed (in each conference). It will at least be a fair way to resolve the tight standings in the bottom of the West where Memphis, New Orleans, Portland and Sacramento are fighting for the 8th seed.

I think if you even go to the 9th seed you should go all the way down... my 1/2 cent.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,359

Post#122 » by nate33 » Mon May 25, 2020 7:40 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
nate33 wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:Seems like the old 15 team tourney would be the best.

Round 1 only the team with the best record gets a bye.

2 against 15
3 against 14
4 against 13
Etc.

I don't think the 15 seed in either conference should have the right to be involved in a play-in.

I could see a mini-tournament between the 7, 8, 9 and 10 seeds to earn the right to play the #1 seed and #2 seed (in each conference). It will at least be a fair way to resolve the tight standings in the bottom of the West where Memphis, New Orleans, Portland and Sacramento are fighting for the 8th seed.

I think if you even go to the 9th seed you should go all the way down... my 1/2 cent.

My rationale, is that the 9th and 10th seeds had a legit shot at making the 8th seed if they simply went on a decent run during the 22 remaining games of the season that were cut short. A tournament gives them a chance. The 15th seed had no chance of making the playoffs, so why give them a chance now?
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#123 » by dckingsfan » Mon May 25, 2020 7:50 pm

nate33 wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:
nate33 wrote:

My rationale, is that the 9th and 10th seeds had a legit shot at making the 8th seed if they simply went on a decent run during the 22 remaining games of the season that were cut short. A tournament gives them a chance. The 15th seed had no chance of making the playoffs, so why give them a chance now?

I like your rational. A counter would be - if I wasn't eliminated, why shouldn't I have a chance?
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#124 » by nate33 » Mon May 25, 2020 11:15 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
nate33 wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:I think if you even go to the 9th seed you should go all the way down... my 1/2 cent.

I like your rational. A counter would be - if I wasn't eliminated, why shouldn't I have a chance?

There's "effectively eliminated" and "mathematically eliminated".

I'm not sure any team but Golden State is mathematically eliminated. Even Cleveland could conceivably win 12 more games than Orlando over the final 17, it's just not at all likely. It's not even remotely likely. Indeed I'd bet no team has made up an 7 game deficit in the final 17 games, much less a 12-game deficit. You would need a terrible team to finish out at something like 15-2 while also expecting a .500ish team like Orlando to collapse and go 2-15 down the stretch. No. Cleveland is effectively eliminated. As is Detroit, Minnesota, New York, Atlanta, Chicago and Phoenix. Frankly, the Wizards are pretty darn close to effectively eliminated too. Five Thirty Eight's Raptor system predicts the Wizards with a 2% chance of making the playoffs, which at least is a bit better than the "<1%" of all the other teams I mentioned. I'd feel a little guilty if the Wizards made it to a "play-in" game.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,735

Post#125 » by gambitx777 » Mon May 25, 2020 11:29 pm

Can you **** imagine if we come in and reck house in a play in situation and some bull **** happens and we make a little run lol

dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#126 » by dckingsfan » Tue May 26, 2020 1:23 am

nate33 wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:
nate33 wrote:My rationale, is that the 9th and 10th seeds had a legit shot at making the 8th seed if they simply went on a decent run during the 22 remaining games of the season that were cut short. A tournament gives them a chance. The 15th seed had no chance of making the playoffs, so why give them a chance now?

I'm not sure any team but Golden State is mathematically eliminated. Even Cleveland could conceivably win 12 more games than Orlando over the final 17, it's just not at all likely. It's not even remotely likely. Indeed I'd bet no team has made up an 7 game deficit in the final 17 games, much less a 12-game deficit. You would need a terrible team to finish out at something like 15-2 while also expecting a .500ish team like Orlando to collapse and go 2-15 down the stretch. No. Cleveland is effectively eliminated. As is Detroit, Minnesota, New York, Atlanta, Chicago and Phoenix. Frankly, the Wizards are pretty darn close to effectively eliminated too. Five Thirty Eight's Raptor system predicts the Wizards with a 2% chance of making the playoffs, which at least is a bit better than the "<1%" of all the other teams I mentioned. I'd feel a little guilty if the Wizards made it to a "play-in" game.

I think I could make an argument all the way down to SA. And if you are going to take ten in the west then you take 10 in the east?

At least then you could have 5-8 match up against 9-12?
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#127 » by nate33 » Tue May 26, 2020 1:52 am

dckingsfan wrote:
nate33 wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:I like your rational. A counter would be - if I wasn't eliminated, why shouldn't I have a chance?

I think I could make an argument all the way down to SA. And if you are going to take ten in the west then you take 10 in the east?

At least then you could have 5-8 match up against 9-12?

I agree with that. If you take 10 in the West, you have to take 10 in the East, which means the Wizards are in it. We don't really deserve it, but that's the way it is.

That opens up the argument for eliminating conferences altogether. But with things already being so weird, I don't think it would be wise to junk things up even further. The champion is already going to have an asterisk.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,466

Post#128 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Tue May 26, 2020 3:58 am

I know they all keep saying no, but would Wall play if we were in a play in round.

It’s been a year and a half for gawds sake.
In Rizzo we trust
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,735

Post#129 » by gambitx777 » Tue May 26, 2020 6:49 am

What's worse is what of one of these lower seed teams that have no reason being there up set the 1 or 2 . Or wins a chip? Talk about asterisk . I doubt wall plays. He needs a full camp to get in shape. If wall came back now he would be on a minute restriction and how much help is that really. ??

dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#130 » by dckingsfan » Tue May 26, 2020 1:35 pm

nate33 wrote:The champion is already going to have an asterisk.

!?*?! :rofl:
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#131 » by Ruzious » Tue May 26, 2020 3:05 pm

How long will the asterisk last? By 10 years, I'll have forgotten all about it - even if I'm not more senile than I am now.

Sounds like they want to finish the last week or 2 of the regular season, but I can't see them changing the playoffs - other than making them best of 5 series', maybe best of 3 in the 1st round. Of course, I'm probably biased seeing as my other team has the best record in the NBA... by a lot. :)
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#132 » by LyricalRico » Fri May 29, 2020 9:15 pm

And now we have a date...

Read on Twitter

And for what it will look like...

In a survey of all 30 general managers, which was viewed by ESPN, 16 said they would prefer the league come back with just the typical 16 playoff teams, with the teams and seedings based on the standings when the season was suspended March 12.

That was one of four potential return-to-play options presented, and it earned more votes than the other three options combined:

• Resume the regular season with all 30 teams followed by a play-in tournament (8 votes);

• Go straight to the playoffs with either a play-in tournament or a World Cup-style group stage (5 votes);

• Resume the regular season with all 30 teams and then go straight to the playoffs (1 vote).

Lots more good stuff in the article about votes regarding roster sizes, etc:
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29241787/majority-nba-gms-vote-restart-season-going-straight-playoffs
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#133 » by Ruzious » Fri May 29, 2020 11:00 pm

LyricalRico wrote:And now we have a date...

Read on Twitter

And for what it will look like...

In a survey of all 30 general managers, which was viewed by ESPN, 16 said they would prefer the league come back with just the typical 16 playoff teams, with the teams and seedings based on the standings when the season was suspended March 12.

That was one of four potential return-to-play options presented, and it earned more votes than the other three options combined:

• Resume the regular season with all 30 teams followed by a play-in tournament (8 votes);

• Go straight to the playoffs with either a play-in tournament or a World Cup-style group stage (5 votes);

• Resume the regular season with all 30 teams and then go straight to the playoffs (1 vote).

Lots more good stuff in the article about votes regarding roster sizes, etc:
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29241787/majority-nba-gms-vote-restart-season-going-straight-playoffs

It's later than I'd like, but I'm just glad they picked a date. 60% want a 72 game season. That would be 8 more games for Washington. I think they gotta factor in more that they're not leaving much time between the end of this season and the beginning of next. The Bucks will have to go straight from winning the championship to training camp. :nod:
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#134 » by queridiculo » Sat May 30, 2020 9:11 am

The Wizards made the playoffs :lol:
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,466

Post#135 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Sat May 30, 2020 11:41 pm

queridiculo wrote:The Wizards made the playoffs :lol:

Cake for everyone!!!!

Let’s get John a uni and run the table on this motha
In Rizzo we trust
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,371

Post#136 » by doclinkin » Sun May 31, 2020 4:06 am

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:

Cake for everyone!!!!

WHERES THE CAKE! Bring that cake in.

If it plays out this way then this honestly is the best of both worlds. Our position in the standings is frozen, so we are still in the lotto. Our young cats get to taste high pressure basketball, to learn in the crucible of basketball that matters. Beal gets to resume his killer season. I like the one-two high throttle game of Ish and Shabazz and the chemistry that was developing with Bazz and the young cats. No Isaiah Thomas. Defense matters in the playoffs. We have no pressure, any success is a big win.

And we get to watch basketball again.

I suspect there are in$urance reason$ why John can't play. But yeah, it would be so cool if he was able to return for this and play a few high caliber spot minutes to give a taste of what we can do next year. In a good way.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,877

Post#137 » by payitforward » Sun May 31, 2020 11:55 am

doclinkin wrote:...If it plays out this way then this honestly is the best of both worlds. Our position in the standings is frozen, so we are still in the lotto. Our young cats get to taste high pressure basketball, to learn in the crucible of basketball that matters. Beal gets to resume his killer season. I like the one-two high throttle game of Ish and Shabazz and the chemistry that was developing with Bazz and the young cats. No Isaiah Thomas. Defense matters in the playoffs. We have no pressure, any success is a big win.

And we get to watch basketball again....

What a relief that will be!!

& of course it would be great, for us or any team, to play with a shot at something, which would have to mean a play-in tournament. Otherwise, why would teams near the bottom want to bother... esp. to empty stadiums?

OTOH, I have no trouble understanding why GMs seem to want to go right to the playoffs.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,971

Post#138 » by FAH1223 » Tue Jun 2, 2020 8:37 am

doclinkin wrote:
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:

Cake for everyone!!!!

WHERES THE CAKE! Bring that cake in.

If it plays out this way then this honestly is the best of both worlds. Our position in the standings is frozen, so we are still in the lotto. Our young cats get to taste high pressure basketball, to learn in the crucible of basketball that matters. Beal gets to resume his killer season. I like the one-two high throttle game of Ish and Shabazz and the chemistry that was developing with Bazz and the young cats. No Isaiah Thomas. Defense matters in the playoffs. We have no pressure, any success is a big win.

And we get to watch basketball again.

I suspect there are in$urance reason$ why John can't play. But yeah, it would be so cool if he was able to return for this and play a few high caliber spot minutes to give a taste of what we can do next year. In a good way.

Read on Twitter
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#139 » by Ruzious » Tue Jun 2, 2020 11:14 am

LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,889

Post#140 » by LoveMyRaps » Tue Jun 2, 2020 7:29 pm

Ruzious wrote:So, Washington is the 22nd team of the 22 teams that will be playing? https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/258314/NBA-Moving-To-Complete-Details-Of-22-Team-Resumption-Of-Season

:rofl: :rofl:
In Masai We Trust :meditate:

Return to Washington Wizards