Post#161 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Thu Jun 4, 2020 5:05 am

I’m pissed that Wall won’t play.
In Rizzo we trust
dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Re: NBA Season Suspended Indefinitely 

Post#162 » by dlts20 » Thu Jun 4, 2020 4:49 pm

I'm pretty sure at this point that when our team returns, Wall will probably be practicing full time with them so at that point, you might as well play.

I would even speed the minutes restriction along. The NBA already said no b2bs. Give him 15min the first 2 games, 20 the next 2, 25 the next 2, and 30 the last 2. Then play 30 plus in the playoffs.

The thing is because of the suspension, John really isn't behind anyone. It's not like he's coming back while everyone is in mid season form or playoff form. They will have been off for months by then and starting cold turkey like Wall. It's as good of a time as any and he won't have questions going into next season.

Like I said, most guys just aren't built like that anymore. Wall included. I mean the Knicks went to the finals in the strike season as the 8th seed. This is when upsets happen. The bucks have one true super star and we have been to games 6 and 7 of the 2nd round twice. They aren't unbeatable to the point that you don't even try. Look at GS being the 8th seed and taking out Dallas with their 1 star
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#163 » by Ruzious » Thu Jun 4, 2020 5:02 pm

dlts20 wrote:I'm pretty sure at this point that when our team returns, Wall will probably be practicing full time with them so at that point, you might as well play.

I would even speed the minutes restriction along. The NBA already said no b2bs. Give him 15min the first 2 games, 20 the next 2, 25 the next 2, and 30 the last 2. Then play 30 plus in the playoffs.

The thing is because of the suspension, John really isn't behind anyone. It's not like he's coming back while everyone is in mid season form or playoff form. They will have been off for months by then and starting cold turkey like Wall. It's as good of a time as any and he won't have questions going into next season.

Like I said, most guys just aren't built like that anymore. Wall included. I mean the Knicks went to the finals in the strike season as the 8th seed. This is when upsets happen. The bucks have one true super star and we have been to games 6 and 7 of the 2nd round twice. They aren't unbeatable to the point that you don't even try. Look at GS being the 8th seed and taking out Dallas with their 1 star

Let's get real. The Wiz chances of beating Milwaukee are slim... well actually none and none. If the season was over, they'd have statistically the 5th best defense... ever. https://www.forbes.com/sites/shaneyoung/2020/05/28/contextualizing-the-milwaukee-bucks-league-leading-defense/#12e3654a3e52 And they're kinda good on offense and have easily the best record in the NBA.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,699

Post#164 » by montestewart » Thu Jun 4, 2020 5:14 pm

payitforward wrote:In short, for me at least, the more games we play the better. & the more games we win the more games we play. So... win 'em all..\

So, in theory, the Wizards could take each series to the maximum, and get the maximum playoff experience? In theory, they could win each series, and get the NBA Title? And, in theory, they could win the lottery, and get the #1 pick? Can all those things happen?
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#165 » by Ruzious » Thu Jun 4, 2020 5:46 pm

montestewart wrote:
payitforward wrote:In short, for me at least, the more games we play the better. & the more games we win the more games we play. So... win 'em all..\

So, in theory, the Wizards could take each series to the maximum, and get the maximum playoff experience? In theory, they could win each series, and get the NBA Title? And, in theory, they could win the lottery, and get the #1 pick? Can all those things happen?

I don't thinks so - though I could be wrong. It sounds like the only thing that's really changing as far as playoffs is that there will be a play-in for each conference's 8th seed (and they might lower the amount of games in some of the rounds). I think both the draft lottery and draft will be essentially the same as they were. Again, I could be wrong, but how often does that happen?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,699

Post#166 » by montestewart » Thu Jun 4, 2020 5:51 pm

Ruzious wrote:
montestewart wrote:

I don't thinks so - though I could be wrong. It sounds like the only thing that's really changing as far as playoffs is that there will be a play-in for each conference's 8th seed (and they might lower the amount of games in some of the rounds). I think both the draft lottery and draft will be essentially the same as they were. Again, I could be wrong, but how often does that happen?

So whichever team wins the 8th seed is outside the lottery, and the remainder revert to their pre-playoffs standings? Sorry, I haven't read a full breakdown of how all this is going to play out. Playing catch up.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,916

Post#167 » by DCZards » Thu Jun 4, 2020 6:20 pm

montestewart wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
montestewart wrote:So, in theory, the Wizards could take each series to the maximum, and get the maximum playoff experience? In theory, they could win each series, and get the NBA Title? And, in theory, they could win the lottery, and get the #1 pick? Can all those things happen?

So whichever team wins the 8th seed is outside the lottery, and the remainder revert to their pre-playoffs standings? Sorry, I haven't read a full breakdown of how all this is going to play out. Playing catch up.

I fully expect the lottery and not lottery draft positions to be the same as it always has been. If you're an 8th seed and in the playoffs you're out of the lottery. And non-lottery draft positions will be based on the same system as it has been in the past.
dlts20
RealGM

Post#168 » by dlts20 » Thu Jun 4, 2020 6:27 pm

What is the use of going if Wall isn't playing? All we are doing is risking losing a lottery pick and a serious injury to Beal
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,561

Post#169 » by pcbothwel » Thu Jun 4, 2020 6:57 pm

dlts20 wrote:What is the use of going if Wall isn't playing? All we are doing is risking losing a lottery pick and a serious injury to Beal

Devils advocate. For a young team like ours... getting a few months off to heal, reflect, and get better... then come back to a few weeks of training camp and then 8 game season could be VERY helpful for them going into this offseason and starting up in December.

Last thing you need is young guys with money and no guidance and time table for a return. This keeps them moving and improving.
Again, its not just the 8 games, but the few weeks of practice with their teammates that they havent seen in months.
Hopefully we go 2-6, get some good work in, and get ready for next year.
DCZards
General Manager

Post#170 » by DCZards » Thu Jun 4, 2020 8:00 pm

I love that the Zards are one of the 22 teams invited to play in Orlando. Our youngins' get an opportunity to learn and grow together playing against some of the league's top teams...in the kind of "no spectators" atmosphere that might be what they'll also see when the 2020-21 season opens. I really don't see a downside.

If Wall and the Zards FO are comfortable with him playing that would be great. But if not, I'm fine with that too.
dlts20
RealGM

Post#171 » by dlts20 » Thu Jun 4, 2020 8:15 pm

DCZards wrote:I love that the Zards are one of the 22 teams invited to play in Orlando. Our youngins' get an opportunity to learn and grow together playing against some of the league's top teams...in the kind of "no spectators" atmosphere that might be what they'll also see when the 2020-21 season opens. I really don't see a downside.

If Wall and the Zards FO are comfortable with him playing that would be great. But if not, I'm fine with that too.

He already said that he's not playing
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#172 » by Ruzious » Thu Jun 4, 2020 8:19 pm

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:I’m pissed that Wall won’t play.

I'm guessing it's about insurance money - so they can't say anything about it - but it's just a guess.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#173 » by Ruzious » Thu Jun 4, 2020 8:45 pm

Here's the plan. https://www.nba.com/article/2020/06/04/board-of-governors-approves-nba-return-official-release

NBA Season Restart: Competitive Format Plan

The 22 returning teams for the season restart would be the Milwaukee Bucks, Toronto Raptors, Boston Celtics, Miami Heat, Indiana Pacers, Philadelphia 76ers, Brooklyn Nets, Orlando Magic and Washington Wizards from the Eastern Conference and the Los Angeles Lakers, LA Clippers, Denver Nuggets, Utah Jazz, Oklahoma City Thunder, Houston Rockets, Dallas Mavericks, Memphis Grizzlies, Portland Trail Blazers, New Orleans Pelicans, Sacramento Kings, San Antonio Spurs and Phoenix Suns from the Western Conference.

Each returning team would play eight seeding games, as selected from its remaining regular-season matchups. At the conclusion of the seeding games, the seven teams in each conference with the best combined records across regular-season games and seeding games would qualify for the playoffs.

If the team with the eighth-best combined record in its conference is more than four games ahead of the team with the ninth-best combined record in the same conference, then the team with the eighth-best record would earn the eighth playoff seed.

If the team with the eighth-best combined record in its conference (Team A) is four games or fewer ahead of the team with the ninth-best combined record in the same conference (Team B), then Teams A and B would compete in a play-in tournament to determine the eighth playoff seed. To earn the eighth playoff seed, Team A would need to defeat Team B once and Team B would need to defeat Team A two games in a row.

The 2019-20 season would conclude with a traditional playoff format with best-of-seven series in the first round, conference semifinals, conference finals and the NBA Finals.

I believe this does gives the Wiz a surprisingly real chance to get that 8th spot - though it would certainly be a tough chance. If so, expect the media to question the decision to not play Wall.

I'm surprised they're sticking with best of 7 series' for all the rounds (other than play-ins).
DCZards
General Manager

Post#174 » by DCZards » Thu Jun 4, 2020 8:49 pm

From June 3 article by Chase Hughes at NBC Sports Washington

Here's what Wall said:

"I won't play at all. I will wait until next season. The decision has been already made. No, I'm not," he said.

Wall was reiterating what he and the Wizards have said for months, including at different stops along the way as the NBA has floated other return-to-play scenarios. As he and general manager Tommy Sheppard have explained it, bringing Wall back after all this time off away from the team is just not as easy as it may sound.

They have a plan and are sticking to it. They are looking past this season for Wall, hoping the extra time will help him come back healthy and also preserve the investment they have made in him with a supermax contract.

Is it worth bringing Wall back for that likely result? He would be thrown into the fire after 20 months off. Remember, he hasn't played since December of 2018.

Wall would have to, on a surgically repaired Achilles, get up to speed very quickly and then play in high-intensity games. If he waits until the 2020-21 season, he would get preseason games to work out the kinks, then essentially be in the same boat as everyone else at the beginning of the regular season campaign.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#175 » by Ruzious » Thu Jun 4, 2020 9:51 pm

RealGM Wiretap
NBA Sets Lottery For August 25th, Draft For October 15th
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,853

Post#176 » by payitforward » Thu Jun 4, 2020 9:54 pm

doclinkin wrote:
payitforward wrote:I was thinking the same thing.... Of course it would be fun to get into the playoffs, but as doc points out it would cost us draft spots. In fact, worst of all would be if we won the title! In that case -- my God! -- we'd have the lowest pick in R1. There's no way to get a good player that low in the draft! What a drag?

Do I have that right, doc? That's what you meant. Yet... you were saying you'd be interested to see hyper-defender Rui Hachimura -- the best rookie defender in years, I believe you called him? -- up against the Greek Freak.

So, what exactly are you saying? That we should trade Rui? Because that way we wouldn't make the playoffs? Is that it?

Ha! Nope. None of the above. I think you’re getting Partzheimers old man. Not ALLZheimers, not losing it all, just dribs and drabs. Here you’re dribbling a little bit. Let me get a napkin and clean it up for you. There you go:

Above I’m saying let’s see what we get. I for one don’t think we’d even beat Orlando twice in a row. But if we did I’m happy. I think they’re talking about letting us play the rest of our schedule first. And in that case hell, we may even slip. But that’s not bad either. It’s all Wins as far as I’m concerned: we get to play longer and get valuable experience (unlikely) —or— we slip and marginally improve our lotto odds. That ‘Luck’ stuff that you don’t believe in...

I'd be a fool not to believe in luck, doc, given the amount of it that has come my way.

&, of course, I was joshing about the up above part -- like you or any of us, there is nothing I'd like more than to finish up the season 8-0, probably bypass the play-in, & then go win a series! Or... all of 'em!

doclinkin wrote:(But even you cede that the Top 3 in most years do tend to pan out....

That's what I thought too, until I took a look -- check out my post in the draft thread.
Edit: I should have asked what you mean by "pan out." It's true that the majority of guys taken #1-3 do play several years in the league. But, no, the majority do not justify their pick position -- not by any means!

doclinkin wrote:...We might get a chance to pick the next Kwame Brown!!!!!)...

Poor Kwame -- he had (I suppose he still has) small hands. If he'd had mitts, I think he'd likely have been a terrific player.

doclinkin wrote:...my thing on Rui is he’s learning quickly so he’s one of our best prospects if his effort can let his skill set catch up with his significant raw talent....

Agree totally. Not to mention that he seems an incredibly nice kid!

doclinkin wrote:You must be recalling any of a dozen other peeps who mess with you. :clown:

Nah, you are the only one I remember, doc -- the only one that counts. & above all, I remember that it was you who told me I ought to come join this shindig. So I'm grateful. This being a week for sincerity, you can take that to the bank old buddy.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,458

Post#177 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Thu Jun 4, 2020 11:58 pm

Ruzious wrote:
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:I’m pissed that Wall won’t play.

I'm guessing it's about insurance money - so they can't say anything about it - but it's just a guess.

That makes more sense than anything else I’ve heard.

The injury/basketball reasons they’ve been giving are absurd.
In Rizzo we trust
dlts20
RealGM

Post#178 » by dlts20 » Fri Jun 5, 2020 12:05 am

I thought we passed the Wall insurance number a long time ago
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#179 » by I_Like_Dirt » Fri Jun 5, 2020 12:44 am

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:The injury/basketball reasons they’ve been giving are absurd.

Having watched Oladipo trying to jump right back into the game midseason, I don't think extreme caution with Wall is out of line.

I think the league is clearly allowing teams to dictate if they want in or not with an eye to getting specific teams/players in. There are no home games here. This is all about TV revenues which (nationally) get split equally amongst teams, though I'm sure a few teams lobbied to be included to fulfill on local TV contracts.

Unless they have some other means of adding revenue to the winning teams, I'm curious to see what they do with the lottery. It doesn't inherently have to be tied to how the playoffs are handled but without additional home games to pad income as compensation for missing out on the lottery, I wonder if they won't do something a little more extreme. I'm definitely curious.
Bucket! Bucket!
dlts20
RealGM

Post#180 » by dlts20 » Fri Jun 5, 2020 1:28 am

I_Like_Dirt wrote:
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:The injury/basketball reasons they’ve been giving are absurd.

Having watched Oladipo trying to jump right back into the game midseason, I don't think extreme caution with Wall is out of line.

I think the league is clearly allowing teams to dictate if they want in or not with an eye to getting specific teams/players in. There are no home games here. This is all about TV revenues which (nationally) get split equally amongst teams, though I'm sure a few teams lobbied to be included to fulfill on local TV contracts.

Unless they have some other means of adding revenue to the winning teams, I'm curious to see what they do with the lottery. It doesn't inherently have to be tied to how the playoffs are handled but without additional home games to pad income as compensation for missing out on the lottery, I wonder if they won't do something a little more extreme. I'm definitely curious.

That's almost the point. Wall is not coming in like Oladipo. I could understand them saying no if he were returning with 8 games left and everyone is in playoff form but everyone will have been off for months and will be going cold turkey just like John

Return to Washington Wizards