ImageImageImageImageImage

"The CCJ Shrine to the Thoughts of CCJ"s / Restart Draft Thread with all thoughts WELCOME.

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 40,974
And1: 6,866
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: "The CCJ Shrine to the Thoughts of CCJ"s / Restart Draft Thread with all thoughts WELCOME. 

Post#21 » by Ruzious » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:19 pm

I should have been listening closer to CCJ when he was pushing Jalen Smith. BleacherReport is saying some scouts have him ahead of Okongwu. https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2905180-2020-nba-draft-lottery-buzz-the-mystery-begins-right-at-the-top.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true
"Look, you never know when you may need to borrow a cup of sugar, maybe some milk or a handgun" - Dan C. from Texas
payitforward
RealGM
Posts: 14,080
And1: 4,344
Joined: May 02, 2012
Location: On the Atlantic

Re: "The CCJ Shrine to the Thoughts of CCJ"s / Restart Draft Thread with all thoughts WELCOME. 

Post#22 » by payitforward » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:14 pm

It's an interesting article to be sure. & it's always a good idea to think carefully about anything CCJ posts!

I mentioned, yesterday I think, that I cannot remember ever seeing mock drafts with as much variation all over the map as I've been seeing this Summer.

Maybe one reason is just how interminably long a run-up to the draft we're having this year. Among other things, media sources feel they have to provide more stuff? Or they're bored? Who knows....

As to Jalen Smith & Okongwu, it's a little bit apples and oranges. Both guys put up monster numbers this year. But, Okongwu is a Freshman, while Smith is a Sophomore.

Smith did not put up monster numbers as a Freshman. He improved a whole lot this year. If Okongwu had decided to stay for his 2d year, who knows...? Maybe he'd have put up even more amazing numbers?

Had the draft taken place in normal order 2 plus months ago, Jalen Smith would have likely gone in the mid-late-20s, where he seemed like an incredible bargain to me. He was one of my trade-down targets.

Keep in mind that for every guy who goes up, another guy goes down. & there is no draft in which teams have accurately -- or near accurately! -- sequenced picks in a way that matches very well with players' results in the league.
Remember -- if you don't like the post above: blame Doc not me.
pcbothwel
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,194
And1: 1,536
Joined: Jun 12, 2010
     

Re: "The CCJ Shrine to the Thoughts of CCJ"s / Restart Draft Thread with all thoughts WELCOME. 

Post#23 » by pcbothwel » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:04 pm

Ruzious wrote:I should have been listening closer to CCJ when he was pushing Jalen Smith. BleacherReport is saying some scouts have him ahead of Okongwu. https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2905180-2020-nba-draft-lottery-buzz-the-mystery-begins-right-at-the-top.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true


Not buying it. Jalen Smith will be a solid NBA player, not the prospect OO is. I've heard PJ Brown, but I see him more as a Gorgui Dieng type if his shot translates. Thats a solid NBA player, but not a top 10 pick.
I dont think his frame and stiffs hips translate well to either the 4 or 5 defensively. He is a good athlete, but not "Bouncy"/ quick off his feet.
He's a good shooter, but he is really clumsy and awkward while not seeing the court particularly well.
He'll rebound, compete, and hit some 3's. But He's more appealing at 19 than 9.

I really think the early/mid 2nd is going to have a couple of interesting bigs in Tillman, Carey, Tillie, Reed, or Oturu fall.
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 40,974
And1: 6,866
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: "The CCJ Shrine to the Thoughts of CCJ"s / Restart Draft Thread with all thoughts WELCOME. 

Post#24 » by Ruzious » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:18 pm

pcbothwel wrote:
Ruzious wrote:I should have been listening closer to CCJ when he was pushing Jalen Smith. BleacherReport is saying some scouts have him ahead of Okongwu. https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2905180-2020-nba-draft-lottery-buzz-the-mystery-begins-right-at-the-top.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true


Not buying it. Jalen Smith will be a solid NBA player, not the prospect OO is. I've heard PJ Brown, but I see him more as a Gorgui Dieng type if his shot translates. Thats a solid NBA player, but not a top 10 pick.
I dont think his frame and stiffs hips translate well to either the 4 or 5 defensively. He is a good athlete, but not "Bouncy"/ quick off his feet.
He's a good shooter, but he is really clumsy and awkward while not seeing the court particularly well.
He'll rebound, compete, and hit some 3's. But He's more appealing at 19 than 9.

I really think the early/mid 2nd is going to have a couple of interesting bigs in Tillman, Carey, Tillie, Reed, or Oturu fall.

I don't have him up there with the Big O either, but he's nothing like Dieng, and I don't get the clumsly and awkward descriptions at all, tbh. Agreed that he's more 19 than 9.
"Look, you never know when you may need to borrow a cup of sugar, maybe some milk or a handgun" - Dan C. from Texas
User avatar
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
Posts: 46,496
And1: 5,626
Joined: Aug 05, 2001
Location: Mililani, Hawaii (Oahu)
Contact:
       

Re: "The CCJ Shrine to the Thoughts of CCJ"s / Restart Draft Thread with all thoughts WELCOME. 

Post#25 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:46 am

Ruzious wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:
Ruzious wrote:I should have been listening closer to CCJ when he was pushing Jalen Smith. BleacherReport is saying some scouts have him ahead of Okongwu. https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2905180-2020-nba-draft-lottery-buzz-the-mystery-begins-right-at-the-top.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true


Not buying it. Jalen Smith will be a solid NBA player, not the prospect OO is. I've heard PJ Brown, but I see him more as a Gorgui Dieng type if his shot translates. Thats a solid NBA player, but not a top 10 pick.
I dont think his frame and stiffs hips translate well to either the 4 or 5 defensively. He is a good athlete, but not "Bouncy"/ quick off his feet.
He's a good shooter, but he is really clumsy and awkward while not seeing the court particularly well.
He'll rebound, compete, and hit some 3's. But He's more appealing at 19 than 9.

I really think the early/mid 2nd is going to have a couple of interesting bigs in Tillman, Carey, Tillie, Reed, or Oturu fall.

I don't have him up there with the Big O either, but he's nothing like Dieng, and I don't get the clumsly and awkward descriptions at all, tbh. Agreed that he's more 19 than 9.


Pascal Siakim

He's got way more offense than PJ Brown or Dieng. When Smith is hitting threes and averaging 18-20 ppg within his first 2-3 seasons, on his way to being an all star, perhaps, we'll talk again.
2020 Wizards SHOULD Draft:

(Unless they move up in the top to draft Wiseman/Okongwu)

JALEN SMITH and either Xavier Tillman, Paul Reed, Udoka Azubuike, or TYLER BEY (if they get lucky and he slips in the draft).
User avatar
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
Posts: 46,496
And1: 5,626
Joined: Aug 05, 2001
Location: Mililani, Hawaii (Oahu)
Contact:
       

Re: "The CCJ Shrine to the Thoughts of CCJ"s / Restart Draft Thread with all thoughts WELCOME. 

Post#26 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:07 am

Moments ago 35-year-old Paul Millsap helped the Denver Nuggets defeat the LA clippers in a playoff game in the year 2020. I remember posting about Paul Millsap a year and a half before his draft. Wizards could’ve had that guy
2020 Wizards SHOULD Draft:

(Unless they move up in the top to draft Wiseman/Okongwu)

JALEN SMITH and either Xavier Tillman, Paul Reed, Udoka Azubuike, or TYLER BEY (if they get lucky and he slips in the draft).
User avatar
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
Posts: 46,496
And1: 5,626
Joined: Aug 05, 2001
Location: Mililani, Hawaii (Oahu)
Contact:
       

Re: "The CCJ Shrine to the Thoughts of CCJ". ? 

Post#27 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:11 am

doclinkin wrote:Ha! The topic is Paul Millsapp: Go!
And the topic still is! :nod:
2020 Wizards SHOULD Draft:

(Unless they move up in the top to draft Wiseman/Okongwu)

JALEN SMITH and either Xavier Tillman, Paul Reed, Udoka Azubuike, or TYLER BEY (if they get lucky and he slips in the draft).
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 40,974
And1: 6,866
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: "The CCJ Shrine to the Thoughts of CCJ". ? 

Post#28 » by Ruzious » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:05 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
doclinkin wrote:Ha! The topic is Paul Millsapp: Go!
And the topic still is! :nod:

He's half man; half Millsapian.

He's actually half PF; half SF. He probably should be a PF, but he plays with PF's, so he's adapted. This Denver team has really given the more talented Clippers a battle.
"Look, you never know when you may need to borrow a cup of sugar, maybe some milk or a handgun" - Dan C. from Texas
pcbothwel
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,194
And1: 1,536
Joined: Jun 12, 2010
     

Re: "The CCJ Shrine to the Thoughts of CCJ". ? 

Post#29 » by pcbothwel » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:52 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
doclinkin wrote:Ha! The topic is Paul Millsapp: Go!
And the topic still is! :nod:

He's half man; half Millsapian.

He's actually half PF; half SF. He probably should be a PF, but he plays with PF's, so he's adapted. This Denver team has really given the more talented Clippers a battle.


I think he could be a real wild card in FA for a team like Houston.

Return to Washington Wizards