ImageImageImageImageImage

Potential Free Agent Signings

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,369

Re: Potential Free Agent Signings 

Post#81 » by doclinkin » Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:40 pm

payitforward wrote:Why not just buy a pick to grab Azubuike? As far as bumps from the backside go, he'd send Cousins flying....Azubuike's career FG% at Kansas is .746. Why do we need Grandpa Cousins?

Same d@mn thing every off-season.... Next we'll hear from someone who wants to sign Melo.

I like Azibuike, except for his FT shooting he would be a significant stealth bargain where he is mocked. Every team needs a dominant and intimidating interior defender a few nights a year or on late game possessions. But no. Azibuike would be calmly bulldozed off his spot. When DMC commits to playing in the interior he is a dominant player. He has both strength and leverage from that low center of gravity. You will never see Azibuike post a destructive 40-20-10 triple double, like DMC has multiple times in his career.

The thing is DMC doesn't play to his strengths and is seemingly only really coachable by peer approval. And yes if his legs are shot then his defense will be to foul and and foul harder and pick up techs and get a sour attitude.

But aside from that. ASIDE from that. A healthy and focused DMC with the right scheme, coaching, shot selection, peer leadership, could be offensively monstrous as an oversized Draymond Green in the pivot. What I was sorta talking about in the metagaming thread, though I'd prefer the defensive version of the above as well.

Also, sure, let's hire the rejuvenated Melo to tutor Rui.

:clown:
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#82 » by doclinkin » Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:50 pm

That said, yeah he is a better fit with LeBJ and old head professionals on that squad. He wouldn't do well with young cats and learning pains. We do need an infusion of attitude and toughness. But. In a winning way.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#83 » by doclinkin » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:55 pm

Read on Twitter
Ed Wood
Sixth Man
And1: 262

Post#84 » by Ed Wood » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:04 pm

So Wall is less gung ho to do it but at least it worked out poorly when he did.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#85 » by doclinkin » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:14 pm

And that way lies DeMarcus Cousins.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,359

Post#86 » by nate33 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:40 pm

doclinkin wrote:And that way lies DeMarcus Cousins.

Or maybe Nerlens Noel? They didn't play together, but Wall and Noel must know each other from all the Kentucky Wildcat reunions.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,876

Post#87 » by payitforward » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:39 am

Wall can go talk to Noel about it, but... both guys have to wear masks!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Post#88 » by pcbothwel » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:26 pm

Sounds like Gallo is headed to ATL... which means Bertans is really down to NYK or Detroit if he wants more than the MLE.
Sorry, but there is no way im going a penny over 15M in this case. He's not taking a 30% pay cut to go elsewhere and if he gets big money from NY, so be it.

I'd offer 3/40M with declining salaries.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#89 » by Rafael122 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:13 pm

Can we all agree if the WIzards pick Precious or Okungwu, there's no need for them to sign a center in free agency? It literally makes no sense to double dip, especially when they would have just drafted a center, and can play Bryant and Rui at the 5.

I think someone mentioned Crowder and Grant. They would be my top 2 choices, but Grant is too expensive and what does Miami do with Dragic, Crowder, Jones etc? I assume there plan is to keep the '21 free agency powder dry to make another run at it but does that mean they sign Crowder to a big 1 year deal?
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,876

Post#90 » by payitforward » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:50 pm

I think the Crowder powder will be high not dry, while if Jerami won't take care of we (i.e. assume doom: Grant can't), Precious may refresh us.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#91 » by Ruzious » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:21 pm

pcbothwel wrote:Sounds like Gallo is headed to ATL... which means Bertans is really down to NYK or Detroit if he wants more than the MLE.
Sorry, but there is no way im going a penny over 15M in this case. He's not taking a 30% pay cut to go elsewhere and if he gets big money from NY, so be it.

I'd offer 3/40M with declining salaries.

Atlanta's going to be loaded with talent. Only question is - will they gell as a team.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#92 » by Ruzious » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:24 pm

Actually, sounds like Gallo is going to Dallas in a sign and trade.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Gig18
Junior
And1: 138

Post#93 » by Gig18 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:49 pm

Small bit of good news; Fred Katz is reporting that the Wiz extended a qualifying offer to Garrison Matthews. that makes him a restricted free agent.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Post#94 » by pcbothwel » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:58 pm

Gig18 wrote:Small bit of good news; Fred Katz is reporting that the Wiz extended a qualifying offer to Garrison Matthews. that makes him a restricted free agent.

One guy that did not get tendered... Shaq Harrison from the Bulls.
27, Jack of all trades, two-way G/F that plays good defense, can make shots, and creates possessions(I.E. 2.5:1 AST:TOV and causes turnovers). Plays with energy and athleticism. He would be one of my top targets in the 2/4M range.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,359

Post#95 » by nate33 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:21 pm

After the draft, and assuming we resign Bertans, our roster looks something like this:

PG Wall/Ish/Winston
SG Beal/Brown/Robinson
SF Bonga/Avdija/Schofield
PF Hachimura/Bertans
C Bryant/Wagner

That's 13 players. Let's assume Mathews is retained on a 2-way. That still leaves 2 roster spots.

The Wizards have made it clear that they want to boost the defense, and they didn't really do that in the draft, so we can be sure that they'll seek defensive players in free agency and/or the trade market. As luck would have it, there are quite a few defensive big men available: Noel, Thompson, Cauley-Stein, Poeltl (RFA), etc. I'm pretty sure we'll acquire one of them.

We could also use a true starting caliber defender at wing, but I just don't think we have the money or roster room to get one. The guys available (Justin Holiday, Mo Harkless, Derrick Jones) aren't really full time starters, and will probably cost too much while creating a log jam at the position. I'd prefer to just hope that Bonga and Brown can continue to improve to fill that role.

I'd love to see some type of trade that consolidates our roster a bit. Something like Schofield, Robinson and Wagner to San Antonio in a S&T for Poeltl. Not seeing the motivation for San Antonio, unless they really want a stretch 5 like Wagner and they don't want to pay Poeltl to be a backup. But one can dream.
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,448

Post#96 » by mhd » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:39 pm

nate33 wrote:After the draft, and assuming we resign Bertans, our roster looks something like this:

PG Wall/Ish/Winston
SG Beal/Brown/Robinson
SF Bonga/Avdija/Schofield
PF Hachimura/Bertans
C Bryant/Wagner

That's 13 players. Let's assume Mathews is retained on a 2-way. That still leaves 2 roster spots.

The Wizards have made it clear that they want to boost the defense, and they didn't really do that in the draft, so we can be sure that they'll seek defensive players in free agency and/or the trade market. As luck would have it, there are quite a few defensive big men available: Noel, Thompson, Cauley-Stein, Poeltl (RFA), etc. I'm pretty sure we'll acquire one of them.

We could also use a true starting caliber defender at wing, but I just don't think we have the money or roster room to get one. The guys available (Justin Holiday, Mo Harkless, Derrick Jones) aren't really full time starters, and will probably cost too much while creating a log jam at the position. I'd prefer to just hope that Bonga and Brown can continue to improve to fill that role.

I'd love to see some type of trade that consolidates our roster a bit. Something like Schofield, Robinson and Wagner to San Antonio in a S&T for Poeltl. Not seeing the motivation for San Antonio, unless they really want a stretch 5 like Wagner and they don't want to pay Poeltl to be a backup. But one can dream.

Forgot about Baynes (and some supposedly "insider" Wiz twitter people say they are interested in him).
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#97 » by Ruzious » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:51 pm

I think Tommy's plan A to improve the Wiz interior defense was Okongwu. I have no idea what his plan B was - or if he even had one. The offseason's real short, so we'll find out soon. If we go into next season with Wagner as the #2 center, that's a sign that he's dropped the ball.
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,976

Post#98 » by DCZards » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:58 pm

[list=][/list]
Ruzious wrote:I think Tommy's plan A to improve the Wiz interior defense was Okongwu. I have no idea what his plan B was - or if he even had one. The offseason's real short, so we'll find out soon. If we go into next season with Wagner as the #2 center, that's a sign that he's dropped the ball.

Tommy knew that drafting Okongwu was not a sure thing so I'm certain he had a Plan B. (I thought it might be drafting Paul Reed when he was available at 53). It remains to be seen if TS can execute his Plan B.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#99 » by Rafael122 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:04 pm

Likelihood of being able to split the MLE between Noel and Derrick Jones Jr?
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#100 » by Ruzious » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:06 pm

DCZards wrote:[list=][/list]
Ruzious wrote:I think Tommy's plan A to improve the Wiz interior defense was Okongwu. I have no idea what his plan B was - or if he even had one. The offseason's real short, so we'll find out soon. If we go into next season with Wagner as the #2 center, that's a sign that he's dropped the ball.

Tommy knew that drafting Okongwu was not a sure thing so I'm certain he had a Plan B. (I thought it might be drafting Paul Reed when he was available at 53). It remains to see if TS can execute his Plan B.

Well, I haven't heard a plan B Wiz rumor so far, and training camp is scheduled to open on... December 1st, so he best get to business on that plan B.

Return to Washington Wizards