Political Roundtable Part XXIX

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXIX 

Post#1581 » by Ruzious » Mon Mar 1, 2021 5:30 pm

"Them: Which key will you be singing in today?

Her: Oh, I brought my own"

"She was singing in the keys W, T, and F."
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#1582 » by FAH1223 » Tue Mar 2, 2021 4:40 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Read on Twitter
?s=21
Read on Twitter
?s=21
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1583 » by Ruzious » Tue Mar 2, 2021 4:44 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21
Read on Twitter
?s=21
Read on Twitter
?s=21

They do that knowing that the only purpose is to suppress votes - which is completely against what I was always taught America is about.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,334

Post#1584 » by dobrojim » Wed Mar 3, 2021 12:45 am

Ruzious wrote:They do that knowing that the only purpose is to suppress votes - which is completely against what I was always taught America is about.

As I'm sure you know, they know and they don't care. They are completely shameless about it.
But they would be really offended if you said they were racist.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,464

Post#1585 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Wed Mar 3, 2021 1:30 pm

The franchise is so fundamental to our democracy lasting. I wasn’t in favor of Dems eliminating the filibuster before the election. But I am now.

Suspend the rules to pass HR 1. It’s common sense, pro-democracy legislation that in normal times should get bipartisan support.

If the Supreme Court overturns it, suspend the filibuster and pack the court.
In Rizzo we trust
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,675

Post#1586 » by Pointgod » Wed Mar 3, 2021 6:58 pm

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:The franchise is so fundamental to our democracy lasting. I wasn’t in favor of Dems eliminating the filibuster before the election. But I am now.

Suspend the rules to pass HR 1. It’s common sense, pro-democracy legislation that in normal times should get bipartisan support.

Why were you against eliminating the filibuster before the election?
bsilver
Pro Prospect
And1: 466

Post#1587 » by bsilver » Wed Mar 3, 2021 8:34 pm

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:The franchise is so fundamental to our democracy lasting. I wasn’t in favor of Dems eliminating the filibuster before the election. But I am now.

Regardless of the pros and cons of suspending the filibuster, there's 0 chance of that happening. Joe Manchin has repeatedly said he will never support it. Maybe in 2022 it will be possible.
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics — quote popularized by Mark Twain.
bsilver
Pro Prospect
And1: 466

Post#1588 » by bsilver » Wed Mar 3, 2021 8:58 pm

It looks like the Supreme Court will uphold just about any of the new state voting restrictions. Despite that, there's still some reasons for optimism.

The restrictions are primarily aimed at African Americans. But from the conversations I've had, the more republicans try to suppress the African American vote, the more determined they are to vote.

Turnout of young people increased dramatically. From about 42-44% in 2016, to 52-55% in 2020. And young people for D. Hopefully this is not a one time occurrence.

Old people vote R, but baby boomers are not as conservative as the previous generation. So, old people dying helps, and that's what they do. Maybe I wouldn't have said this in the past, but I don't give a sht anymore.

More educated people increasingly vote D, and that group has the highest turnout.

The % white population of the total population keeps decreasing. The non-Trump faction of Rs seemed to care about this, but the R party is now Trumpism, and they're doubling down on racism.
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics — quote popularized by Mark Twain.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#1589 » by Wizardspride » Thu Mar 4, 2021 12:11 am

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,527

Post#1590 » by closg00 » Thu Mar 4, 2021 2:19 am

bsilver wrote:It looks like the Supreme Court will uphold just about any of the new state voting restrictions. Despite that, there's still some reasons for optimism.

The restrictions are primarily aimed at African Americans. But from the conversations I've had, the more republicans try to suppress the African American vote, the more determined they are to vote.

Turnout of young people increased dramatically. From about 42-44% in 2016, to 52-55% in 2020. And young people for D. Hopefully this is not a one time occurrence.

Old people vote R, but baby boomers are not as conservative as the previous generation. So, old people dying helps, and that's what they do. Maybe I wouldn't have said this in the past, but I don't give a sht anymore.

More educated people increasingly vote D, and that group has the highest turnout.

The % white population of the total population keeps decreasing. The non-Trump faction of Rs seemed to care about this, but the R party is now Trumpism, and they're doubling down on racism.

Georgia Republicans have a lot of dirty tricks in their toolbox, they will try again to do voter roll purges, and probably reduce the number of polling places in large black population areas, when you add them all up (the new restrictions), they will be able to shave-off the desired number of voters. HR1 is the last hope to save the U.S from Jim Crow 2.0
Pointgod
RealGM

Post#1591 » by Pointgod » Thu Mar 4, 2021 3:26 am

bsilver wrote:

Regardless of the pros and cons of suspending the filibuster, there's 0 chance of that happening. Joe Manchin has repeatedly said he will never support it. Maybe in 2022 it will be possible.

Chuck Schumer needs to take Joe Manchin and put him in a **** head lock until he votes to remove the filibuster.
Pointgod
RealGM

Post#1592 » by Pointgod » Thu Mar 4, 2021 3:49 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#1593 » by FAH1223 » Thu Mar 4, 2021 4:21 am

Pointgod wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Useless if you can’t get past the filibuster
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,053

Post#1594 » by queridiculo » Thu Mar 4, 2021 8:48 am

bsilver wrote:

Idiot democrats.

Always thinking that the moral high ground is worth a damn, while the GOP laughs their collective asses off breaking one rule after another.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1595 » by Ruzious » Thu Mar 4, 2021 8:54 am

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

Chris Miller is either an incompetent boob, or he should be tried for treason. Actually, that's not fair - he could be both.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,464

Post#1596 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Thu Mar 4, 2021 1:36 pm

Pointgod wrote:

In general I’m against rule changes to pass legislation. It almost always results in a tit for tat and accelerates polarization.

At this point though, we’re talking structural changes that will permanently disenfranchise millions, especially people of color. Do it Dems!
In Rizzo we trust
Pointgod
RealGM

Post#1597 » by Pointgod » Thu Mar 4, 2021 3:14 pm

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
Pointgod wrote:

In general I’m against rule changes to pass legislation. It almost always results in a tit for tat and accelerates polarization.

At this point though, we’re talking structural changes that will permanently disenfranchise millions, especially people of color. Do it Dems!

I understand most people are but it’s based on the faulty belief that Republicans are acting in good faith. The Democratic Senators represent 40 million more people than the Republican Senators. Keeping the filibuster is actually minority rule.

And if the Republicans got rid of the filibuster I wouldn’t say anything either. If they believe that strongly in their legislation, and they’re in control then go for it.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,626

Post#1598 » by pancakes3 » Thu Mar 4, 2021 3:39 pm

basically calling their bluff to pass legislation that would directly harm their constituents. i'm for it.
Bullets -> Wizards
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,184

Post#1599 » by Zonkerbl » Thu Mar 4, 2021 5:32 pm

All of these antiquated rules were all based on "gentlemen's agreements" that each side would respect the other. Republicans have abandoned all the gentlemen's agreements and the Dems are under zero obligation to cling to them and it doesn't make any sense to continue to do so.

OF COURSE eliminating the filibuster means laws flip flop from one thing to another as the ruling party switches sides. It means chaos and unpredictability and is bad for business and bad for America. Maybe McConnel should have thought of that before making a decision to break all rules necessary to get his judges appointed.

I think the Republicans need to relearn why civilized behavior is important. The sooner the filibuster is eliminated, the sooner the "learning" starts.
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,605

Post#1600 » by Fairview4Life » Thu Mar 4, 2021 7:33 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:All of these antiquated rules were all based on "gentlemen's agreements" that each side would respect the other. Republicans have abandoned all the gentlemen's agreements and the Dems are under zero obligation to cling to them and it doesn't make any sense to continue to do so.

OF COURSE eliminating the filibuster means laws flip flop from one thing to another as the ruling party switches sides. It means chaos and unpredictability and is bad for business and bad for America. Maybe McConnel should have thought of that before making a decision to break all rules necessary to get his judges appointed.

I think the Republicans need to relearn why civilized behavior is important. The sooner the filibuster is eliminated, the sooner the "learning" starts.

In practice it actually promotes more bipartisan legislation and actually gets legislation passed, as opposed to the current idiocy of attaching things to must pass bills and trying to get them crammed through because no one wants to vote against funding the troops or whatever. The way the senate was actually designed to function, with majority rule, blocs of like minded senators, like, say, Joe Manchin and Mitt Romney or whoever, can actually accomplish their policy goals, if they actually have any.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.

Return to Washington Wizards