ImageImageImageImageImage

Political Roundtable Part XXIX

Moderators: montestewart, LyricalRico, nate33

Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 6,592
And1: 2,537
Joined: Mar 24, 2010
       

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXIX 

Post#1741 » by Zonkerbl » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:32 pm

Pointgod wrote:
Zonkerbl wrote:Will be interesting to see how the courts respond. I don't think even Trump appointees would let a law stand that basically allows a political party to overturn the results of a free and fair election, because if that's legal then Dems can just pass similar laws in states they control and there will never be meaningful elections again. We'll just have the current makeup of Congress frozen in amber forever. Well, to be precise we'll have the current makeup of state governments frozen in amber forever. And we'll have states controlling the outcome of federal elections, that's insane.

They didn't support Trump's imaginary fraud claims and they probably won't allow these laws to stand either.


I don’t trust John Roberts and I don’t trust the **** Trump appointees to do the right thing instead of basically saying welp, the states can have their own election laws. The problem is that Republicans are fine with voter suppression as long as it’s done on a partisan basis despite the fact that it violates constitutional rights


Well I'm not saying they're going to do the right thing regarding voter suppression, just the part where they say the political party in power can overturn elections if it wants. Not even Trump appointed judges are that stupid, that is a TERRIBLE idea - Dem controlled states will be able to do the same. Republicans won't want that.
These go to eleven.
Wizardspride
RealGM
Posts: 13,700
And1: 8,015
Joined: Nov 05, 2004
Location: Olney, MD/Kailua/Kaneohe, HI
       

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXIX 

Post#1742 » by Wizardspride » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:53 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Pointgod
RealGM
Posts: 12,188
And1: 11,938
Joined: Jun 28, 2014

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXIX 

Post#1743 » by Pointgod » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:26 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:
Pointgod wrote:
Zonkerbl wrote:Will be interesting to see how the courts respond. I don't think even Trump appointees would let a law stand that basically allows a political party to overturn the results of a free and fair election, because if that's legal then Dems can just pass similar laws in states they control and there will never be meaningful elections again. We'll just have the current makeup of Congress frozen in amber forever. Well, to be precise we'll have the current makeup of state governments frozen in amber forever. And we'll have states controlling the outcome of federal elections, that's insane.

They didn't support Trump's imaginary fraud claims and they probably won't allow these laws to stand either.


I don’t trust John Roberts and I don’t trust the **** Trump appointees to do the right thing instead of basically saying welp, the states can have their own election laws. The problem is that Republicans are fine with voter suppression as long as it’s done on a partisan basis despite the fact that it violates constitutional rights


Well I'm not saying they're going to do the right thing regarding voter suppression, just the part where they say the political party in power can overturn elections if it wants. Not even Trump appointed judges are that stupid, that is a TERRIBLE idea - Dem controlled states will be able to do the same. Republicans won't want that.


It’s not the part about overturning elections that I’m worried about, it’s the fact that the Conservative judges will allow states to make their own voting laws even if it entrenches minority rule. Remember Republicans don’t care if Democrats do it because they control more state legislatures and governorships. They already have a built in advantage and what they’ll do is cement permanent minority rule in those state legislatures, gerrymander the House and ensure minority rule in the Senate. The playbook is obvious and you can’t count on the courts to save anyone. That **** John Roberts already gutted the voting rights act. Listen if you think Republicans can’t possibly sink any lower they always will.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 6,592
And1: 2,537
Joined: Mar 24, 2010
       

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXIX 

Post#1744 » by Zonkerbl » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:21 pm

The bottom for the GOP is full on Nazism. And they'll only stop there if the rest of the world decides to invade us and overthrow our totalitarian state.

No one's coming to save us, probably. We have to stop this slide towards dictatorship ourselves, somehow.
These go to eleven.
Wizardspride
RealGM
Posts: 13,700
And1: 8,015
Joined: Nov 05, 2004
Location: Olney, MD/Kailua/Kaneohe, HI
       

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXIX 

Post#1745 » by Wizardspride » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:49 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Wizardspride
RealGM
Posts: 13,700
And1: 8,015
Joined: Nov 05, 2004
Location: Olney, MD/Kailua/Kaneohe, HI
       

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXIX 

Post#1746 » by Wizardspride » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:57 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19


Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Pointgod
RealGM
Posts: 12,188
And1: 11,938
Joined: Jun 28, 2014

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXIX 

Post#1747 » by Pointgod » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:22 pm

Read on Twitter
User avatar
pancakes3
General Manager
Posts: 8,353
And1: 1,809
Joined: Jul 27, 2003
Location: Virginia
Contact:

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXIX 

Post#1748 » by pancakes3 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:59 pm

not a single thing of consequence will come from this Gaetz story. that's an indictment on both R's and D's.
Bullets -> Wizards
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 43,826
And1: 8,664
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXIX 

Post#1749 » by Ruzious » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:02 pm

Pointgod wrote:
Read on Twitter

Wear that pedophile "badge of honor" proudly, Gaetz. He might be the weirdest dude in Congress.
"Look, you never know when you may need to borrow a cup of sugar, maybe some milk or a handgun" - Dan C. from Texas
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 6,592
And1: 2,537
Joined: Mar 24, 2010
       

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXIX 

Post#1750 » by Zonkerbl » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:12 pm

pancakes3 wrote:not a single thing of consequence will come from this Gaetz story. that's an indictment on both R's and D's.


I disagree, yesterday Gaetz poured gasoline all over himself and was like "I've got a match and I'm not afraid to use it!"

Last time I saw this much self inflicted damage it was, well, Trump, but Gaetz is no Trump. Dude is going down in flames.
These go to eleven.
User avatar
pancakes3
General Manager
Posts: 8,353
And1: 1,809
Joined: Jul 27, 2003
Location: Virginia
Contact:

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXIX 

Post#1751 » by pancakes3 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:27 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:not a single thing of consequence will come from this Gaetz story. that's an indictment on both R's and D's.


I disagree, yesterday Gaetz poured gasoline all over himself and was like "I've got a match and I'm not afraid to use it!"

Last time I saw this much self inflicted damage it was, well, Trump, but Gaetz is no Trump. Dude is going down in flames.


i don't consider the individual demise of Gaetz to be of any consequence. i'm talking more about changing hearts and minds of the GOP base.
Bullets -> Wizards
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 6,592
And1: 2,537
Joined: Mar 24, 2010
       

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXIX 

Post#1752 » by Zonkerbl » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:46 pm

pancakes3 wrote:
Zonkerbl wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:not a single thing of consequence will come from this Gaetz story. that's an indictment on both R's and D's.


I disagree, yesterday Gaetz poured gasoline all over himself and was like "I've got a match and I'm not afraid to use it!"

Last time I saw this much self inflicted damage it was, well, Trump, but Gaetz is no Trump. Dude is going down in flames.


i don't consider the individual demise of Gaetz to be of any consequence. i'm talking more about changing hearts and minds of the GOP base.


:warms hands by Gaetz' burning political career: I'm sorry, you were saying?
These go to eleven.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 6,592
And1: 2,537
Joined: Mar 24, 2010
       

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXIX 

Post#1753 » by Zonkerbl » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:49 pm

These scum are all dirty. You have to be scum to spew the lies the way they do. They all have dirt like this - Jim Jordan in particular. You're not going to change these people's minds, but at least you can stop the scum they elect from seizing power and imposing their dystopian totalitarianism on us. Shedding sunlight on what scum they are is as good a method as any.

I'm intrigued by Gaetz' story about being blackmailed by a former DOJ person, because that person had to be from the Trump admin. Such a thick, twisty turny plot.
These go to eleven.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 13,996
And1: 7,042
Joined: Feb 25, 2009

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXIX 

Post#1754 » by montestewart » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:30 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:These scum are all dirty. You have to be scum to spew the lies the way they do. They all have dirt like this - Jim Jordan in particular. You're not going to change these people's minds, but at least you can stop the scum they elect from seizing power and imposing their dystopian totalitarianism on us. Shedding sunlight on what scum they are is as good a method as any.

I'm intrigued by Gaetz' story about being blackmailed by a former DOJ person, because that person had to be from the Trump admin. Such a thick, twisty turny plot.

Didn't he say he was blackmailed for $25 million? Does he have anything like that kind of money? Exaggerate much? Lie much? Or maybe his purported net worth of half a million is a lie. His public statements have the stream-of-consciousness feel of someone who is convinced of the infallible persuasion of his own words. "The sound of my voice should convince everyone of my innocence."

If he starts taking a fall, maybe he'll name names in his panic. Already spat out Beau Tye. Then maybe, he'll have a mysterious accident. Otherwise, all will be forgiven by those who love him best, the sword and steel toe fantasy crowd.
Pointgod
RealGM
Posts: 12,188
And1: 11,938
Joined: Jun 28, 2014

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXIX 

Post#1755 » by Pointgod » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:34 pm

pancakes3 wrote:not a single thing of consequence will come from this Gaetz story. that's an indictment on both R's and D's.


Well Dems can’t really kick him out of House Leadership or remove him from committees. And the Justice Department needs to be given time to investigate. If Gaetz didn’t actually commit a crime then there’s really nothing you can go off of.
Pointgod
RealGM
Posts: 12,188
And1: 11,938
Joined: Jun 28, 2014

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXIX 

Post#1756 » by Pointgod » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:38 pm

montestewart wrote:
Zonkerbl wrote:These scum are all dirty. You have to be scum to spew the lies the way they do. They all have dirt like this - Jim Jordan in particular. You're not going to change these people's minds, but at least you can stop the scum they elect from seizing power and imposing their dystopian totalitarianism on us. Shedding sunlight on what scum they are is as good a method as any.

I'm intrigued by Gaetz' story about being blackmailed by a former DOJ person, because that person had to be from the Trump admin. Such a thick, twisty turny plot.

Didn't he say he was blackmailed for $25 million? Does he have anything like that kind of money? Exaggerate much? Lie much? Or maybe his purported net worth of half a million is a lie. His public statements have the stream-of-consciousness feel of someone who is convinced of the infallible persuasion of his own words. "The sound of my voice should convince everyone of my innocence."

If he starts taking a fall, maybe he'll name names in his panic. Already spat out Beau Tye. Then maybe, he'll have a mysterious accident. Otherwise, all will be forgiven by those who love him best, the sword and steel toe fantasy crowd.


If you can’t watch the whole thing, skip to the last part. There’s nothing more idiotic than tipping off someone who’s being investigated by the FBI that they’re part of a sting.

Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 43,826
And1: 8,664
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXIX 

Post#1757 » by Ruzious » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:23 pm

Speaking of dumbasf congressfolks, https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/marjorie-taylor-greene-mark-of-the-beast-090016763.html

These people are really batshyt nuts, and is anyone stupid enough to think they'll change? This is what they are and will always be. If there are aliens in the world, they're them. Kidding - not kidding. Lol, that expression on Gaetz' face is priceless.
"Look, you never know when you may need to borrow a cup of sugar, maybe some milk or a handgun" - Dan C. from Texas
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 6,592
And1: 2,537
Joined: Mar 24, 2010
       

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXIX 

Post#1758 » by Zonkerbl » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:16 pm

montestewart wrote:
Zonkerbl wrote:These scum are all dirty. You have to be scum to spew the lies the way they do. They all have dirt like this - Jim Jordan in particular. You're not going to change these people's minds, but at least you can stop the scum they elect from seizing power and imposing their dystopian totalitarianism on us. Shedding sunlight on what scum they are is as good a method as any.

I'm intrigued by Gaetz' story about being blackmailed by a former DOJ person, because that person had to be from the Trump admin. Such a thick, twisty turny plot.

Didn't he say he was blackmailed for $25 million? Does he have anything like that kind of money? Exaggerate much? Lie much? Or maybe his purported net worth of half a million is a lie. His public statements have the stream-of-consciousness feel of someone who is convinced of the infallible persuasion of his own words. "The sound of my voice should convince everyone of my innocence."

If he starts taking a fall, maybe he'll name names in his panic. Already spat out Beau Tye. Then maybe, he'll have a mysterious accident. Otherwise, all will be forgiven by those who love him best, the sword and steel toe fantasy crowd.


His Dad is wealthy. And he's the one who got the $25 million demand. Allegedly.

"From most of his 10 years in the Florida Senate, Don Gaetz was the chamber’s richest member. His wealth comes from having a pioneering role in the hospice industry. In the late 1970s, Gaetz formed Hospice Care Inc., a nonprofit hospice facility. He then became a leading force behind passage of Florida’s hospice licensing law, which gave nonprofits like the one he founded an early head start over for-profit facilities."

https://www.politico.com/states/florida/story/2021/03/31/gaetzs-father-backs-up-son-matts-claims-of-extortion-over-doj-probe-of-involvement-with-teen-1370695
These go to eleven.
dobrojim
RealGM
Posts: 13,924
And1: 1,871
Joined: Sep 16, 2004

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXIX 

Post#1759 » by dobrojim » Thu Apr 1, 2021 2:34 pm

Pointgod wrote:
Read on Twitter


Ironic how clear it's becoming that the Q folks were focusing on the wrong party
when it comes to pedophiles. Not that either party is completely free of
ne'er do wells.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity
dobrojim
RealGM
Posts: 13,924
And1: 1,871
Joined: Sep 16, 2004

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXIX 

Post#1760 » by dobrojim » Thu Apr 1, 2021 2:35 pm

Pointgod wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:not a single thing of consequence will come from this Gaetz story. that's an indictment on both R's and D's.


Well Dems can’t really kick him out of House Leadership or remove him from committees. And the Justice Department needs to be given time to investigate. If Gaetz didn’t actually commit a crime then there’s really nothing you can go off of.


This seems wrong. Didn't the dems kick MTG off all her committees? Why couldn't they do the same to MG?
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

Return to Washington Wizards