ImageImageImageImageImage

Political Roundtable Part XXIX

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 41,445
And1: 7,198
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXIX 

Post#481 » by Ruzious » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:04 pm

pancakes3 wrote:i forget if anyone posted the footage of trumpers attempting to intimidate voters at early voting in Fairfax but (1) that went VIRAL and (2) was so infuriating.

i wish a trumper would. i'm saving my vote for in-person just to yell at trumpers in line.

I am so ready (not hoping for but ready) for a confrontation from a trumper(s) trying to intimidate people when I go to vote.
"Look, you never know when you may need to borrow a cup of sugar, maybe some milk or a handgun" - Dan C. from Texas
dckingsfan
RealGM
Posts: 20,243
And1: 7,722
Joined: May 28, 2010

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXIX 

Post#482 » by dckingsfan » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:22 pm

Okay, early voting here in Houston wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Twenty minutes.

Rice University (all outdoors) everyone was masked. They provide a link where you can see how long the wait is and show up accordingly.
dckingsfan
RealGM
Posts: 20,243
And1: 7,722
Joined: May 28, 2010

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXIX 

Post#483 » by dckingsfan » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:19 pm

Beto is the bomb... just saying

Read on Twitter
Pointgod
RealGM
Posts: 10,483
And1: 10,182
Joined: Jun 28, 2014

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXIX 

Post#484 » by Pointgod » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:22 pm

dckingsfan wrote:Beto is the bomb... just saying

Read on Twitter


You’ve earned a lot of respect from me for the work that you’re doing on the ground. Any gains made in Texas will be a direct result of your hard work. A lot of us in this thread talk, but you’re walking the walk.

Here’s to you DCkingsfan
Image
dckingsfan
RealGM
Posts: 20,243
And1: 7,722
Joined: May 28, 2010

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXIX 

Post#485 » by dckingsfan » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:26 pm

Awwww :cuddle
Pointgod wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:Beto is the bomb... just saying

Read on Twitter


You’ve earned a lot of respect from me for the work that you’re doing on the ground. Any gains made in Texas will be a direct result of your hard work. A lot of us in this thread talk, but you’re walking the walk.

Here’s to you DCkingsfan
Image
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 6,407
And1: 2,281
Joined: Mar 24, 2010
       

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXIX 

Post#486 » by Zonkerbl » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:06 pm

daoneandonly - "You just said all cities are liberal. Cities are in states, so how the heck can all cities be liberal but all states arent? because you're full of crap"
dobrojim
RealGM
Posts: 13,746
And1: 1,691
Joined: Sep 16, 2004

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXIX 

Post#487 » by dobrojim » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:14 pm

The ballot tracking tool in Fairfax county (board of elections) is somewhat
misleading for someone like me who hand deliver their ballot. It says I have not voted
but if I go to the citizen portal on the county’s more general website,
it confirms I have voted.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity
User avatar
queridiculo
RealGM
Posts: 14,375
And1: 5,740
Joined: Mar 29, 2005
Location: Maximum Pain Zone
   

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXIX 

Post#488 » by queridiculo » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:35 pm



Sent my absentee ballot request for Florida on September 29th.

Foolishly only checked to receive electronically and according to the ballot tracking website I should have received my ballot October 9th.

What I did receive was a barrage of campaign emails asking to support Ken Cooper for major, but no ballot.

A call to the supervisor of elections on Monday has yielded a we will call you back, since then crickets...

I have made a request to have the ballot sent to my overseas address now, let's see how that one turns out.
Wizardspride
RealGM
Posts: 13,125
And1: 7,297
Joined: Nov 05, 2004
Location: Olney, MD/Kailua/Kaneohe, HI
       

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXIX 

Post#489 » by Wizardspride » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:27 am

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Pointgod
RealGM
Posts: 10,483
And1: 10,182
Joined: Jun 28, 2014

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXIX 

Post#490 » by Pointgod » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:51 am

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19


Read on Twitter
Wizardspride
RealGM
Posts: 13,125
And1: 7,297
Joined: Nov 05, 2004
Location: Olney, MD/Kailua/Kaneohe, HI
       

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXIX 

Post#491 » by Wizardspride » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:57 am

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
User avatar
long suffrin' boulez fan
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,906
And1: 1,977
Joined: Nov 18, 2005
Location: Just above Ted's double bottom line
       

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXIX 

Post#492 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:33 pm

Pointgod wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19


Read on Twitter


Even for that D-bag that was bad.

Not voting for Joe Biden is the fundamental description of white supremacy? Wow, just wow.
In Rizzo we trust
dckingsfan
RealGM
Posts: 20,243
And1: 7,722
Joined: May 28, 2010

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXIX 

Post#493 » by dckingsfan » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:45 pm

“As Texas goes, so too will the rest of the country. As Harris County goes, so too will Texas,” one GOP lawsuit read. “If President Trump loses Texas, it would be difficult, if not impossible, for him to be reelected.”

And this goes for the country on a pretty permanent basis... just saying, we might be seeing an interesting change.

Texas shatters another election record with 16.95 million registered voters

AUSTIN — A historic week for voter turnout in Texas concluded with one last piece of record-setting news: 16.95 million Texans have registered to vote in this year’s elections, the Texas secretary of state’s office revealed late Friday. That is a jump of 1.85 million from the 15.1 million registered voters in the 2016 presidential election. The final figure is just a fraction higher than the 16.9 million registered voters the agency reported earlier in the week.


https://www.dallasnews.com/news/elections/2020/10/16/texas-shatters-an-election-record-with-1695-million-registered-voters/?utm_content=buffer5191b&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer
Pointgod
RealGM
Posts: 10,483
And1: 10,182
Joined: Jun 28, 2014

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXIX 

Post#494 » by Pointgod » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:20 pm

dckingsfan wrote:“As Texas goes, so too will the rest of the country. As Harris County goes, so too will Texas,” one GOP lawsuit read. “If President Trump loses Texas, it would be difficult, if not impossible, for him to be reelected.”

And this goes for the country on a pretty permanent basis... just saying, we might be seeing an interesting change.

Texas shatters another election record with 16.95 million registered voters

AUSTIN — A historic week for voter turnout in Texas concluded with one last piece of record-setting news: 16.95 million Texans have registered to vote in this year’s elections, the Texas secretary of state’s office revealed late Friday. That is a jump of 1.85 million from the 15.1 million registered voters in the 2016 presidential election. The final figure is just a fraction higher than the 16.9 million registered voters the agency reported earlier in the week.


https://www.dallasnews.com/news/elections/2020/10/16/texas-shatters-an-election-record-with-1695-million-registered-voters/?utm_content=buffer5191b&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer


How many votes did Beto lose by in 2018?
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 6,407
And1: 2,281
Joined: Mar 24, 2010
       

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXIX 

Post#495 » by Zonkerbl » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:39 pm

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
Pointgod wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19


Read on Twitter


Even for that D-bag that was bad.

Not voting for Joe Biden is the fundamental description of white supremacy? Wow, just wow.


Just like not voting for Republicans is Socialism. These guys are masters of propaganda. Dems need to learn to respond with pithy, easily memorable phrases. "Trump hates you." "Make America Decent Again." "Vote for Biden - he won't try to kill you for money"

The biggest mistake you can make online is to respond to something like this with a four paragraph thesis on the importance of norms in avoiding the slide into authoritarianism that other democracies have suffered. If you go past four words, you lost the argument.
daoneandonly - "You just said all cities are liberal. Cities are in states, so how the heck can all cities be liberal but all states arent? because you're full of crap"
dckingsfan
RealGM
Posts: 20,243
And1: 7,722
Joined: May 28, 2010

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXIX 

Post#496 » by dckingsfan » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:17 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
Pointgod wrote:
Read on Twitter

Even for that D-bag that was bad.

Not voting for Joe Biden is the fundamental description of white supremacy? Wow, just wow.

Just like not voting for Republicans is Socialism. These guys are masters of propaganda. Dems need to learn to respond with pithy, easily memorable phrases. "Trump hates you." "Make America Decent Again." "Vote for Biden - he won't try to kill you for money"

The biggest mistake you can make online is to respond to something like this with a four paragraph thesis on the importance of norms in avoiding the slide into authoritarianism that other democracies have suffered. If you go past four words, you lost the argument.

I agree with this - there are two different media - one where analysis works and one where quick answers work.

I have been working on my neighbor, an ER doc. I have long conversations with him. He voted for Biden (as did his wife). Quick piffy answers wouldn't have worked.

But online - go past a couple of sentences and people tune out.

And my favorite: You can't fix stupid but you can vote it out...
User avatar
doclinkin
General Manager
Posts: 9,848
And1: 1,973
Joined: Jul 26, 2004
Location: .wizuds.

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXIX 

Post#497 » by doclinkin » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:33 am

Pithy. Containing the heart of the matter in a concise memorable statement. PIFfy means either 1) Beating a dead horse in a pedantic and condescending manner or 2) trading down as many times as possible. :clown:
User avatar
pancakes3
General Manager
Posts: 8,247
And1: 1,685
Joined: Jul 27, 2003
Location: Virginia
Contact:

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXIX 

Post#498 » by pancakes3 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:45 am

my dad voted Trump in 2016 but is voting Biden in 2020 so, phew.
Bullets -> Wizards
Pointgod
RealGM
Posts: 10,483
And1: 10,182
Joined: Jun 28, 2014

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXIX 

Post#499 » by Pointgod » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:19 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
Pointgod wrote:
Read on Twitter


Even for that D-bag that was bad.

Not voting for Joe Biden is the fundamental description of white supremacy? Wow, just wow.


Just like not voting for Republicans is Socialism. These guys are masters of propaganda. Dems need to learn to respond with pithy, easily memorable phrases. "Trump hates you." "Make America Decent Again." "Vote for Biden - he won't try to kill you for money"

The biggest mistake you can make online is to respond to something like this with a four paragraph thesis on the importance of norms in avoiding the slide into authoritarianism that other democracies have suffered. If you go past four words, you lost the argument.


One of the worst things about Trump is the pure shamelessness and blatant lying. The wheels have really fallen off and they’re not even trying to run on anything. For real just try to think of what actual policy issue any Republican is running on. Sadly unless there’s a historic loss for these **** they won’t learn a lesson. Even then Trumpism is going to always feature in the Republican Party. May God have mercy on our souls.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 6,407
And1: 2,281
Joined: Mar 24, 2010
       

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXIX 

Post#500 » by Zonkerbl » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:29 pm

I worry a little that they're not preparing for flatout armed insurrection. Will be interesting to see what the votes in the military are, rumor has it he's lost them with the suckers and losers crap.

You at least have to be prepared for right wing terrorism. Although, perversely, the more people right wing terrorists murder, the easier it will be to shout that argument down.

Democrats hatch plans to counter Trump's attempts to cast doubt on election results
daoneandonly - "You just said all cities are liberal. Cities are in states, so how the heck can all cities be liberal but all states arent? because you're full of crap"

Return to Washington Wizards