RealGM
And1: 9,866

Re: The Washington Football Team Thread 

Post#1341 » by Wizardspride » Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:09 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=wh2I0K8XpAfZvLSP88GBVA&s=19

Read on Twitter
?t=vc8zPsg2VtXxVDHMxwZ9Hw&s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1342 » by Ruzious » Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:36 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Ok, so at least we've replaced Flower with Norwell as the left guard. I don't know what the dollars are, but he's almost certainly more expensive than Flowers would have been. RR is very familiar with him. 30 years old, so this is a win now move or a bad move He's enormous at 6'6 340 and very durable. Sounds like it's Schweitzer or Charles at RG.

Cam Simms... good at little things like blocking and special teams, but not good at the big things like getting open and actually catching the ball.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1343 » by Wizardspride » Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:50 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=bXV0TZTMkWYdTCQ3vXnZ-w&s=19

Read on Twitter
?t=FZighI9EdHYfztQW8CqutA&s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1344 » by Ruzious » Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:22 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?t=bXV0TZTMkWYdTCQ3vXnZ-w&s=19

Read on Twitter
?t=FZighI9EdHYfztQW8CqutA&s=19

I like that he's a better pass blocker than run blocker, but 9 penalties against him last year is awful. Hopefully that was a fluke.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1345 » by Wizardspride » Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:10 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=SlF7_0u_uOioHYby-0VgeA&s=19
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,892

Post#1346 » by TGW » Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:52 pm

I'm still in favor of upgrading the receiving group. I'm not sold on Brown, Samuels, or Sims. Drake London looks like the physical freak of the class, but 11 is too high for him.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1347 » by Ruzious » Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:23 pm

I'm guessing that because Matt Ryan was just traded for a 3rd rounder, some will say - that's proof we over-paid for Wentz. Nah, Matty Ice will turn 37 before the season starts, and he's been slowly declining - year after year. Sounds like Atl will try to get Mariota - who I still think can be a good starting QB.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#1348 » by Kanyewest » Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:36 pm

I do think Wentz and Ryan are in similar tiers. Just felt like the Falcons were not very good offensively as they were in the past with Julio Jones and Calvin Ridley being out - IIRC they were both banged up the prior season as well. With Wentz and Ryan it seems like that everything needs to be perfect around them. I guess Pitts/Patterson are talented although the Colts also had Johnathan Taylor and a better team than Ryan did - not to mention a much softer division.

I think it may have made sense to bring in Ryan only because it seemed like the asking price was less - and from my understanding Atlanta is eating some of the salary which may mean that Ryan is taking a smaller part of the cap than Wentz (although I could be wrong). But yeah both are stopgaps. Wentz's final season with Philadelphia was pretty bad - have to admit I didn't watch him as closely last season- at least his numbers were impressive.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1349 » by Ruzious » Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:59 pm

Kanyewest wrote:I do think Wentz and Ryan are in similar tiers. Just felt like the Falcons were not very good offensively as they were in the past with Julio Jones and Calvin Ridley being out - IIRC they were both banged up the prior season as well. With Wentz and Ryan it seems like that everything needs to be perfect around them. I guess Pitts/Patterson are talented although the Colts also had Johnathan Taylor and a better team than Ryan did - not to mention a much softer division.

I think it may have made sense to bring in Ryan only because it seemed like the asking price was less - and from my understanding Atlanta is eating some of the salary which may mean that Ryan is taking a smaller part of the cap than Wentz (although I could be wrong). But yeah both are stopgaps. Wentz's final season with Philadelphia was pretty bad - have to admit I didn't watch him as closely last season- at least his numbers were impressive.

The major difference is that Wentz could be more than a stop-gap. Ryan is too old to be more than that.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#1350 » by gambitx777 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:12 pm

Wentz is 29 and could still turn it around I mean look at Kurt Warner as an example of a guy who turned it around mid to late.

Wentz has been great he can get back there he has the tools. You need to build the offence to enhance his good point and hide his weak points.

Ryan is going to be 38 he's clearly cooked and isn't Tom, he is a stop gap.

Ryan is an ok studio apartment that you're paying too much for.

Wentz is an old house that hasn't been up dated since the 70s that needs some work on a good chunk of land. You can possibly make something out of it.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1351 » by Ruzious » Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:32 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Ok, so at least we've replaced Flower with Norwell as the left guard. I don't know what the dollars are, but he's almost certainly more expensive than Flowers would have been. RR is very familiar with him. 30 years old, so this is a win now move or a bad move He's enormous at 6'6 340 and very durable. Sounds like it's Schweitzer or Charles at RG.

Cam Simms... good at little things like blocking and special teams, but not good at the big things like getting open and actually catching the ball.

I was way off. They got a great deal with Norwell, and Flowers probably had to be cut considering his cap price.
Read on Twitter
Kanyewest
General Manager

Post#1352 » by Kanyewest » Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:44 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Kanyewest wrote:I do think Wentz and Ryan are in similar tiers. Just felt like the Falcons were not very good offensively as they were in the past with Julio Jones and Calvin Ridley being out - IIRC they were both banged up the prior season as well. With Wentz and Ryan it seems like that everything needs to be perfect around them. I guess Pitts/Patterson are talented although the Colts also had Johnathan Taylor and a better team than Ryan did - not to mention a much softer division.

The major difference is that Wentz could be more than a stop-gap. Ryan is too old to be more than that.

Perhaps- although the age for quarterbacks seems to be going up. Tom Brady is still playing at 44 years old. Aaron Rodgers just signed a 3 year contract extension at 37. Drew Brees retired at 42. I wouldn't rule out Ryan being better than he was over the last 2 seasons- although he's not in the same tier as those listed.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1353 » by Ruzious » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:06 pm

Kanyewest wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

Perhaps- although the age for quarterbacks seems to be going up. Tom Brady is still playing at 44 years old. Aaron Rodgers just signed a 3 year contract extension at 37. Drew Brees retired at 42. I wouldn't rule out Ryan being better than he was over the last 2 seasons- although he's not in the same tier as those listed.

Those 3 are the exceptions to everything - all time great 1st ballot HOFers. Matty Ice ain't.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1354 » by Wizardspride » Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:31 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=HLmXyVkc19oykyDwME9bSw&s=19
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1355 » by Ruzious » Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:48 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?t=HLmXyVkc19oykyDwME9bSw&s=19

Wow. That's 5 picks, but... the highest are the 29th pick and the 50th pick. Honestly, I think that's a cheap price. And yeah, if I was the Commies, I would have tried to get him.
Kanyewest
General Manager

Post#1356 » by Kanyewest » Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:54 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Kanyewest wrote:
Ruzious wrote:The major difference is that Wentz could be more than a stop-gap. Ryan is too old to be more than that.

Those 3 are the exceptions to everything - all time great 1st ballot HOFers. Matty Ice ain't.

True- but he has been better than Wentz at his peak anyways. All in all- I would rather have the extra 3rd rounder and keep playing the QB carousel.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1357 » by Ruzious » Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:13 pm

Kanyewest wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
Kanyewest wrote:

True- but he has been better than Wentz at his peak anyways. All in all- I would rather have the extra 3rd rounder and keep playing the QB carousel.

I mean... there's a 7 year age difference, and Wentz was clearly better last season. At this point in their careers, their values are vastly different. It's not that Wentz is all that good. It's that Ryan has negative value and most likely very little future as a starter.
Kanyewest
General Manager

Post#1358 » by Kanyewest » Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:31 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Kanyewest wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Those 3 are the exceptions to everything - all time great 1st ballot HOFers. Matty Ice ain't.

I mean... there's a 7 year age difference, and Wentz was clearly better last season. At this point in their careers, their values are vastly different. It's not that Wentz is all that good. It's that Ryan has negative value and most likely very little future as a starter.

Wentz was slightly better - he was 14th in QB rating while Ryan was 18th. Still the Colts had an easier schedule, a better defense, a more talented roster which could explain the statistical difference and with all that only had 2 more wins than the Falcons.

I suppose it is more likely that Wentz is a long term answer - although given the past with this team I'm getting ready for another QB search relatively soon.

The Colts ended up with more draft picks by trading Wentz and getting Ryan. So their fanbase seems to be relatively happy with the move.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1359 » by Ruzious » Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:41 pm

I'd agree with you if they were the same age - or even if there was a 2 year difference; but 7 years makes too much of a difference.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,465

Post#1360 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:11 pm

Do the Commodes have enough cap space for both Wagner and the Honey Badger?

If so, we could use the draft to load up on offensive talent, taking a WR like Wilson and an OL with our first two picks.
In Rizzo we trust

Return to Washington Wizards