Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Re: The Washington Football Team Thread 

Post#301 » by Wizardspride » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:40 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,894

Post#302 » by TGW » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:24 pm

Looks like they're hiring Marty Hurney as GM. Local guy...he's from Wheaton and went to Good Counsel and then Catholic. He also worked for the team back in 89. The glory days.

Hopefully they retain Kyle.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#303 » by Ruzious » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:58 pm

TGW wrote:Looks like they're hiring Marty Hurney as GM. Local guy...he's from Wheaton and went to Good Counsel and then Catholic. He also worked for the team back in 89. The glory days.

Cool that he's a local guy. I grew up hanging out in Wheaton - living next door in Aspen Hill. And he's even older than I am - by 6 years. 8-)
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
badinage
Bench Warmer
And1: 884

Post#304 » by badinage » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:51 pm

And — a former sportswriter!
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,465

Post#305 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:30 pm

Ruzious wrote:
TGW wrote:Looks like they're hiring Marty Hurney as GM. Local guy...he's from Wheaton and went to Good Counsel and then Catholic. He also worked for the team back in 89. The glory days.

Cool that he's a local guy. I grew up hanging out in Wheaton - living next door in Aspen Hill. And he's even older than I am - by 6 years. 8-)

Hey Ruz.

Where'd you go to HS and when did you graduate?

I grew up in Strathmore-Bel Pre, graduated Kennedy in 1984.
In Rizzo we trust
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#306 » by Wizardspride » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:05 pm

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

Hey Ruz.

Kennedy, Class of 95 here.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#307 » by Ruzious » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:26 pm

Ruzious wrote:

Hey Ruz.

Close. Peary Huskies class of 1979. They closed the school in 1984.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#308 » by Wizardspride » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:41 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#309 » by Ruzious » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:51 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

Everything I've heard about Mayhew as an Exec is positive, and it's great to have talent upstairs, but... are their too many cooks, and are they forcing out chefs who are going to be stars elsewhere?

Here's a link to a 1990 article about young Mayhew playing with veteran Darrell Green and their prep to play against... SF - who's WR's were kinda good - Jerry Rice and John Taylor. https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xpm-1990-09-14-1990257100-story.html
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager

Post#310 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:00 am

Wizardspride wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Cool that he's a local guy. I grew up hanging out in Wheaton - living next door in Aspen Hill. And he's even older than I am - by 6 years. 8-)

Hey Ruz.

Kennedy, Class of 95 here.

‘Sup fellow Cav
In Rizzo we trust
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#311 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:37 am

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

If the WFT ever play Tampa Bay again I predict pain.

I hope to hell Green Bay beats them.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#312 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:45 am

Ruzious wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

Everything I've heard about Mayhew as an Exec is positive, and it's great to have talent upstairs, but... are their too many cooks, and are they forcing out chefs who are going to be stars elsewhere?

Here's a link to a 1990 article about young Mayhew playing with veteran Darrell Green and their prep to play against... SF - who's WR's were kinda good - Jerry Rice and John Taylor. https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xpm-1990-09-14-1990257100-story.html

I’ve got a good ... no, a great feeling about the direction in which the WFT is headed.

I predicted playoffs at the beginning of the season. No matter how dubious that came to fruition. We played the Buccaneers competitively. Now, I see competency, continuity and accountability are about to align from top down—with less input from an owner who I think might be real close to getting forced out.

Defense wins. We’ve got that, but we need a DeShaun Watson leader at QB if he can be obtained without giving too much. We also need help on the offensive line and perhaps at linebacker.

Overall, this team is trending positively.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#313 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:42 am

Every now and then my genius IQ shows up.

The WFT should plan on inviting Heinicke, Smith, and Colin Kaepernick to camp.

They should also draft in the mid to late rounds the QB with THE MOST potential so they can groom him the same way Rodgers, Brady, and Kurt Warner came along—slowly and in the best way.

DeShaun Watson for free would be better; but, realistically, that guy will cost too much. My idea is way, way better. Pay Smirh his full contract one more season if he doesn’t mind being a team guy for Taylor and Kap. Let their practice reps decide.

The team will play for any and all three. The future QB (I SUGGEST THEY INVITE COLE MCDONALD—an even better prospect than Colt Brennan. I think he’s got BETTER TOOLS than Tua Tagovailia. I live in Hawaii. Trust me on this).

This time I’m pretty confident because there are many layers of thought woven into my idea.

Kap not Cam. Bring back two joyous QBs even if neither is the long term QB. Trust CAPTAIN KEN on this one: Cole McDonald needs nurturing but I think he’s even better than Taylor.

But draft someone who might be...
Bye bye Beal.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,894

Post#314 » by TGW » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:24 pm

Haskins is signing with the Steelers, and I have to say that is a phenomenal pairing. Haskins gets to go to a no pressure situation with one of the best organizations in the league. The Steelers get a look at a possible Ben replacement with arguable first round talent.

If Haskins works hard and competes, maybe he gets a starting job. But he'll have to put in wayyyyy more time and dedication than he did in Washington for that to happen.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
RealGM

Post#315 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:47 pm

It’s a great landing for Haskins. Ideal to the max.
Bye bye Beal.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager

Post#316 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:19 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:It’s a great landing for Haskins. Ideal to the max.

Completely agree. My dream for him when the WTFs drafted him was that he’d become like Ben R.

He was never going to be a good runner, but I hoped he’d be a big armed, not afraid to get hit, maneuver within the pocket QB leader type.

He may well now become that... just not here.
In Rizzo we trust
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#317 » by Wizardspride » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:32 am

Read on Twitter
?s=19
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#318 » by Kanyewest » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:47 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Every now and then my genius IQ shows up.

The WFT should plan on inviting Heinicke, Smith, and Colin Kaepernick to camp.

They should also draft in the mid to late rounds the QB with THE MOST potential so they can groom him the same way Rodgers, Brady, and Kurt Warner came along—slowly and in the best way.

DeShaun Watson for free would be better; but, realistically, that guy will cost too much. My idea is way, way better. Pay Smirh his full contract one more season if he doesn’t mind being a team guy for Taylor and Kap. Let their practice reps decide.

The team will play for any and all three. The future QB (I SUGGEST THEY INVITE COLE MCDONALD—an even better prospect than Colt Brennan. I think he’s got BETTER TOOLS than Tua Tagovailia. I live in Hawaii. Trust me on this).

This time I’m pretty confident because there are many layers of thought woven into my idea.

Kap not Cam. Bring back two joyous QBs even if neither is the long term QB. Trust CAPTAIN KEN on this one: Cole McDonald needs nurturing but I think he’s even better than Taylor.

But draft someone who might be...

I wish Washington had traded Cousins when he was being franchised the first time for San Francisco's pick and they could have taken DeShaun Watson. Also I hoped that Washington would have signed Kap back when Smith had his almost career ending injury instead of Mark Sanchez.

Even bringing Heinicke and Smith to camp is fine and if they don't mortgage their future would be fine with me.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#319 » by Ruzious » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:02 am

One of the reasons to not bring back Smith at his current unguaranteed amount is that the NFL has a cap carryforward that allows teams to carry forward unused cap from the prior year - so each team works with a different cap. In the NFL, you really need a capologist to work with the GM.
RealGM

Post#320 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:54 am

Ruzious wrote:

Ruz, If my memory is anywhere near correct you and I are around the same age. We were at Maryland around the same time frame. Of course I went to Bowie most of the time...I grew up in Fort Washington Maryland and you probably remember that.
Bye bye Beal.

Return to Washington Wizards