ImageImageImageImageImage

The Washington Football Team Thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 41,445
And1: 7,199
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: The Washington Football Team Thread 

Post#41 » by Ruzious » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:59 am

gambitx777 wrote:Haven't watched a game this year , honestly I've retreated from sports lately other than the ufc. But I've heard Haskins can't take his eyes off the man he's tossing too and he telegraphs too much ? True or false ?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app

Not more than any other QB - how many ints did he have in his previous 6 games? His problem has been accuracy.
"Look, you never know when you may need to borrow a cup of sugar, maybe some milk or a handgun" - Dan C. from Texas
User avatar
queridiculo
RealGM
Posts: 14,375
And1: 5,740
Joined: Mar 29, 2005
Location: Maximum Pain Zone
   

Re: The Washington Football Team Thread 

Post#42 » by queridiculo » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:52 pm

Ruzious wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:Haven't watched a game this year , honestly I've retreated from sports lately other than the ufc. But I've heard Haskins can't take his eyes off the man he's tossing too and he telegraphs too much ? True or false ?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app

Not more than any other QB - how many ints did he have in his previous 6 games? His problem has been accuracy.


Wide, short, too high, he just can't find location.

Most of it looks to be his terrible footwork.

When he is on a short drop and the ball comes out on slants and the likes he's not that all that bad, but when he has to move or goes through his progressions it seems like he rushes his throws.

I wonder if he lacks faith in his offensive line, or if he's just consistently sloppy and can't help himself.
User avatar
doclinkin
General Manager
Posts: 9,848
And1: 1,973
Joined: Jul 26, 2004
Location: .wizuds.

Re: The Washington Football Team Thread 

Post#43 » by doclinkin » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:32 pm

queridiculo wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:Haven't watched a game this year , honestly I've retreated from sports lately other than the ufc. But I've heard Haskins can't take his eyes off the man he's tossing too and he telegraphs too much ? True or false ?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app

Not more than any other QB - how many ints did he have in his previous 6 games? His problem has been accuracy.


Wide, short, too high, he just can't find location.

Most of it looks to be his terrible footwork.

When he is on a short drop and the ball comes out on slants and the likes he's not that all that bad, but when he has to move or goes through his progressions it seems like he rushes his throws.

I wonder if he lacks faith in his offensive line, or if he's just consistently sloppy and can't help himself.


This. I recall watching college highlights where his WRs would break loose on deep balls, and be startled at how much time he had behind a dominant offensive line. WIthout that cushion he was going to rush things. The Fedexskins have never invested much in their Oline aside from an occasional Trent Williams. If you look at rankings of various measures or subjective judgements we are usually placed in the bottom third of the league in Oline play. Small wonder we constantly are crushed by spotty play at QB or devastating injuries at that spot.
User avatar
TGW
General Manager
Posts: 9,663
And1: 3,358
Joined: Oct 22, 2010

Re: The Washington Football Team Thread 

Post#44 » by TGW » Sun Oct 4, 2020 8:15 pm

Time for a QB switch. This experiment is over for now.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
Wizardspride
RealGM
Posts: 13,125
And1: 7,297
Joined: Nov 05, 2004
Location: Olney, MD/Kailua/Kaneohe, HI
       

Re: The Washington Football Team Thread 

Post#45 » by Wizardspride » Sun Oct 4, 2020 8:20 pm

TGW wrote:Time for a QB switch. This experiment is over for now.

Really?

I feel just the opposite.... :dontknow:
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
User avatar
TGW
General Manager
Posts: 9,663
And1: 3,358
Joined: Oct 22, 2010

Re: The Washington Football Team Thread 

Post#46 » by TGW » Sun Oct 4, 2020 8:22 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
TGW wrote:Time for a QB switch. This experiment is over for now.

Really?

I feel just the opposite.... :dontknow:


Yes really. Who have you been watching exactly? It can't be Haskins if you "feel the opposite." He was terrible for a large chunk of the game.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
Wizardspride
RealGM
Posts: 13,125
And1: 7,297
Joined: Nov 05, 2004
Location: Olney, MD/Kailua/Kaneohe, HI
       

Re: The Washington Football Team Thread 

Post#47 » by Wizardspride » Sun Oct 4, 2020 8:25 pm

TGW wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:
TGW wrote:Time for a QB switch. This experiment is over for now.

Really?

I feel just the opposite.... :dontknow:


Yes really. Who have you been watching exactly? It can't be Haskins if you "feel the opposite." He was terrible for a large chunk of the game.

I was watching Dwayne Haskins.....and obviously we saw different things.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
User avatar
queridiculo
RealGM
Posts: 14,375
And1: 5,740
Joined: Mar 29, 2005
Location: Maximum Pain Zone
   

Re: The Washington Football Team Thread 

Post#48 » by queridiculo » Sun Oct 4, 2020 9:14 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
TGW wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:Really?

I feel just the opposite.... :dontknow:


Yes really. Who have you been watching exactly? It can't be Haskins if you "feel the opposite." He was terrible for a large chunk of the game.

I was watching Dwayne Haskins.....and obviously we saw different things.


I suppose you didn't watch the first 3 quarters.
User avatar
queridiculo
RealGM
Posts: 14,375
And1: 5,740
Joined: Mar 29, 2005
Location: Maximum Pain Zone
   

Re: The Washington Football Team Thread 

Post#49 » by queridiculo » Sun Oct 4, 2020 9:17 pm

TGW wrote:Time for a QB switch. This experiment is over for now.


What's the point exactly?

They don't have anybody to bring along, and as long as the defense only shows up for the second half of games a QB change isn't going to really make a difference.

Washington needs to see what they have in Haskins no matter how many games they drop this season.
User avatar
TGW
General Manager
Posts: 9,663
And1: 3,358
Joined: Oct 22, 2010

Re: The Washington Football Team Thread 

Post#50 » by TGW » Sun Oct 4, 2020 10:55 pm

queridiculo wrote:
TGW wrote:Time for a QB switch. This experiment is over for now.


What's the point exactly?

They don't have anybody to bring along, and as long as the defense only shows up for the second half of games a QB change isn't going to really make a difference.

Washington needs to see what they have in Haskins no matter how many games they drop this season.


The problem is there’s other guys on the team who need to be evaluated, and we can’t do that fairly without another quarterback. Not only that, but it must be frustrating to be getting open, and the ball either sailing 2 yards over your head or behind you. Players are getting frustrated.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
User avatar
long suffrin' boulez fan
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,906
And1: 1,977
Joined: Nov 18, 2005
Location: Just above Ted's double bottom line
       

Re: The Washington Football Team Thread 

Post#51 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Mon Oct 5, 2020 3:07 am

Haskins reminds me of Jason Campbell.

I think our offense would look instantly better with a different QB.
In Rizzo we trust
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 41,445
And1: 7,199
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: The Washington Football Team Thread 

Post#52 » by Ruzious » Mon Oct 5, 2020 10:24 am

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:Haskins reminds me of Jason Campbell.

I think our offense would look instantly better with a different QB.

Not me. JC was never going to make it, imo, because he was mechanically flawed - his windup took too much time - combined with him being slow to react. Haskins needs to get rid of the ball quicker, but that's probably because he simply lacks experience. It's still too soon to decide on Haskins, imo. I'm still optimistic on him - though there obviously has to be a lot of improvement this season. He still needs to stop focusing on one receiver, he still needs to stop throwing flat balls that can be easily deflected, he still needs to move his feet smarter in the pocket, and he still needs to be more accurate. These are all things I expect he will improve on. Interesting note - Haskins stats aren't far behind Cousins' this year.
"Look, you never know when you may need to borrow a cup of sugar, maybe some milk or a handgun" - Dan C. from Texas
User avatar
queridiculo
RealGM
Posts: 14,375
And1: 5,740
Joined: Mar 29, 2005
Location: Maximum Pain Zone
   

Re: The Washington Football Team Thread 

Post#53 » by queridiculo » Mon Oct 5, 2020 10:40 am

TGW wrote:The problem is there’s other guys on the team who need to be evaluated, and we can’t do that fairly without another quarterback. Not only that, but it must be frustrating to be getting open, and the ball either sailing 2 yards over your head or behind you. Players are getting frustrated.


Whom do you feel we need to evaluate that is currently being held back by Haskins?

Gibson is doing is thing, McLaurin consistently shines.

Beyond that we have a journeyman on one of the skill positions that consistently leaves plays on the field with untimely drops.

Also worth pointing out, Haskins is not getting much help from his line and the offensive gameplan leaves a lot to be desired as well.

I don't see a clear offensive identity yet.
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 41,445
And1: 7,199
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: The Washington Football Team Thread 

Post#54 » by Ruzious » Mon Oct 5, 2020 11:12 am

I'm guessing it's because of the lack of experience that he hasn't played, but to me - they need to start playing Love - and alternating him with Gibson at RB. McKissic and Barber are very limited veterans. Edit - have to wait till week 7 to activate Love.
"Look, you never know when you may need to borrow a cup of sugar, maybe some milk or a handgun" - Dan C. from Texas
User avatar
TGW
General Manager
Posts: 9,663
And1: 3,358
Joined: Oct 22, 2010

Re: The Washington Football Team Thread 

Post#55 » by TGW » Mon Oct 5, 2020 3:23 pm

queridiculo wrote:
TGW wrote:The problem is there’s other guys on the team who need to be evaluated, and we can’t do that fairly without another quarterback. Not only that, but it must be frustrating to be getting open, and the ball either sailing 2 yards over your head or behind you. Players are getting frustrated.


Whom do you feel we need to evaluate that is currently being held back by Haskins?

Gibson is doing is thing, McLaurin consistently shines.

Beyond that we have a journeyman on one of the skill positions that consistently leaves plays on the field with untimely drops.

Also worth pointing out, Haskins is not getting much help from his line and the offensive gameplan leaves a lot to be desired as well.

I don't see a clear offensive identity yet.


I actually like all the receivers. Inman, Sims, and the other kid (blanking on his name) actually have done decently considering the circumstances. McCalurin is an obvious stud, and will produce with any QB.

I also don't think the o-line has done that poorly. It's not their fault that Haskins footwork is trash, and he doesn't know how to slide in the pocket properly. The first and goal play where he tried to spin out of a sack and ended up losing 15 yds was a perfect example.

I also read a stat on Twitter that Haskins threw 52 times yesterday, and only 4 of them went over 10 yards. So he's a game managing QB at this point, which I have no gripes with, but as that type of QB you need to keep sacks and bad throws to a minimum, which he does not.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 41,445
And1: 7,199
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: The Washington Football Team Thread 

Post#56 » by Ruzious » Wed Oct 7, 2020 6:51 pm

So Haskins has been benched after 4 games. Any chance that it's because the team really thinks they have a chance at the division title... with Allen at QB?
"Look, you never know when you may need to borrow a cup of sugar, maybe some milk or a handgun" - Dan C. from Texas
User avatar
queridiculo
RealGM
Posts: 14,375
And1: 5,740
Joined: Mar 29, 2005
Location: Maximum Pain Zone
   

Re: The Washington Football Team Thread 

Post#57 » by queridiculo » Wed Oct 7, 2020 7:32 pm

Ruzious wrote:So Haskins has been benched after 4 games. Any chance that it's because the team really thinks they have a chance at the division title... with Allen at QB?


I think it's more of Riviera being a man of his word and is holding Haskins accountable for his performance just as he would any other players.

There's also talk that Haskins seems allergic to coaching and has been openly defiant against the staff, so I would not be surprised if this move also serves as a means to knock the young fella down a notch.

You have to earn your spot, the QB included.
User avatar
TGW
General Manager
Posts: 9,663
And1: 3,358
Joined: Oct 22, 2010

Re: The Washington Football Team Thread 

Post#58 » by TGW » Wed Oct 7, 2020 9:06 pm

Or he just needs to sit, learn the offense, and correct his footwork and mechanics.

Haskins will get his chance to start again because Allen is average at best, but he needs to take this time to humble himself and perfect his craft.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 30,316
And1: 679
Joined: May 23, 2002
Location: Back into the fray!
Contact:
       

Re: The Washington Football Team Thread 

Post#59 » by LyricalRico » Wed Oct 7, 2020 10:19 pm

queridiculo wrote:I think it's more of Riviera being a man of his word and is holding Haskins accountable for his performance just as he would any other players.

There's also talk that Haskins seems allergic to coaching and has been openly defiant against the staff, so I would be surprised if this move also serves as a means to knock the young fella down a notch.

You have to earn your spot, the QB included.


Yeah, I think this is a first-year coach flexing his muscles with longterm team culture in view. And it could absolutely be that this isn't just about what happens on Sundays. His stats this last game weren't bad, but we don't know if he deviated from the game plan or failed to execute something specific the coaches were looking for. We also don't see practice or team meetings.

TGW wrote:Or he just needs to sit, learn the offense, and correct his footwork and mechanics.

Haskins will get his chance to start again because Allen is average at best, but he needs to take this time to humble himself and perfect his craft.


Agreed, he's clearly not ready and nobody's saying he won't get another chance. If Allen blows chunks between now and the bye week, they can always go back to Haskins. I really don't see a problem, would happen with any other position IMO.
mhd
General Manager
Posts: 8,066
And1: 604
Joined: Mar 25, 2004

Re: The Washington Football Team Thread 

Post#60 » by mhd » Thu Oct 8, 2020 3:46 am

I would have thought Haskins would have corrected the work-habits issue last year (especially after AP got on him to learn the playbook). From the WAPO:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/10/07/washington-kyle-allen-dwayne-haskins-benched/

“Teammates have tried to motivate Haskins, according to a person with knowledge of the situation. Earlier this season, the person said, at least one teammate told the 23-year-old he needed to work harder by pointing out that Smith, then the third-stringer, arrived earlier and prepared better than he did. This did not lead to a change in Haskins’s behavior, the person added.”

You can't control talent, but you can control how hard you work. Gilbert was a legendary gym-rat for example. He's a 2nd rounder who simply outworked everyone else to be a premier NBA player. The QB has to be hardest working player on the team. Haskins has horrible work-habits. I get it, if you're a rookie and need reminding of to study the playbook and devote the time. Haskins came in as the starter and captain, and Alex Smith is outworking him. It's inexcusable.

He's a bust. He's got horrible mechanics, has lead feet in the pocket, and is significantly inaccurate (how many simple swing passes to the backs will be mess by not hitting them in stride or flat out overthrowing them)?

Return to Washington Wizards