ImageImageImageImageImage

The Washington Football Team Thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, montestewart, nate33

User avatar
long suffrin' boulez fan
Head Coach
Posts: 6,348
And1: 2,418
Joined: Nov 18, 2005
Location: Just above Ted's double bottom line
       

Re: The Washington Football Team Thread 

Post#841 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Wed May 19, 2021 12:19 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19


Read on Twitter
?s=19


Kind of a head scratcher.

Moses had his best year last year and was one of the most bought in players.

I guess they are looking to replace him with a younger, cheaper option to save cap room for Scherff.
In Rizzo we trust
Wizardspride
RealGM
Posts: 13,886
And1: 8,229
Joined: Nov 05, 2004
Location: Olney, MD/Kailua/Kaneohe, HI
       

Re: The Washington Football Team Thread 

Post#842 » by Wizardspride » Wed May 19, 2021 1:00 pm

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19


Read on Twitter
?s=19


Kind of a head scratcher.

Moses had his best year last year and was one of the most bought in players.

I guess they are looking to replace him with a younger, cheaper option to save cap room for Scherff.

Or to save money for Jonathan Allen.....
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 44,705
And1: 9,223
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: The Washington Football Team Thread 

Post#843 » by Ruzious » Wed May 19, 2021 1:18 pm

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19


Read on Twitter
?s=19


Kind of a head scratcher.

Moses had his best year last year and was one of the most bought in players.

I guess they are looking to replace him with a younger, cheaper option to save cap room for Scherff.

They're not gonna get much for him - after basically letting the entire NFL know they're not interested in keeping him. Looks like his 7.5 mil salary is not guaranteed for this year and next, so they might end up cutting him. Seems a shame to get little or nothing for him. I thought he actually did his best when filling in at LT. He's been called for an awful lot of penalties throughout the years, but there's no doubting his talent. It's funny - we had arguably the most talented pair of OT's for a few seasons with him and Trent Williams, and we never had a good O-line with them. Neither seemed particularly happy to be here.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 44,705
And1: 9,223
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: The Washington Football Team Thread 

Post#844 » by Ruzious » Wed May 19, 2021 1:37 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
BearlyBallin wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Read on Twitter
?s=20


Wasn’t Moses is the one that got injured? He came back injured and that really hurt the team. Maybe it’s best both parties move on

Yeah, give him credit for playing hurt, but when he did that - he hurt the team by impersonating a matador. I think the real problem RR had with him was when he backed up Trent Williams and said something to the effect that it was about time someone stood up to Skins' management. It's one thing to stick up for your teammate, but taking a shot at your own team's management is a bozo no-no when your contract isn't guaranteed.

I don't get the Skins handling it this way - strategically. I think Moses had significant trade value. Just wait till some team that needs a tackle panics, and then trade him. He was signed for a reasonable price for this year and next. They destroyed his trade value, because teams know they'll end up cutting him if they can't get something for him.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Wizardspride
RealGM
Posts: 13,886
And1: 8,229
Joined: Nov 05, 2004
Location: Olney, MD/Kailua/Kaneohe, HI
       

Re: The Washington Football Team Thread 

Post#845 » by Wizardspride » Wed May 19, 2021 8:21 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
BearlyBallin wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Read on Twitter
?s=20


Wasn’t Moses is the one that got injured? He came back injured and that really hurt the team. Maybe it’s best both parties move on

Yeah, give him credit for playing hurt, but when he did that - he hurt the team by impersonating a matador. I think the real problem RR had with him was when he backed up Trent Williams and said something to the effect that it was about time someone stood up to Skins' management. It's one thing to stick up for your teammate, but taking a shot at your own team's management is a bozo no-no when your contract isn't guaranteed.

I don't get the Skins handling it this way - strategically. I think Moses had significant trade value. Just wait till some team that needs a tackle panics, and then trade him. He was signed for a reasonable price for this year and next. They destroyed his trade value, because teams know they'll end up cutting him if they can't get something for him.

According to various beat reporters Moses didn't/doesn't have much trade value.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Wizardspride
RealGM
Posts: 13,886
And1: 8,229
Joined: Nov 05, 2004
Location: Olney, MD/Kailua/Kaneohe, HI
       

Re: The Washington Football Team Thread 

Post#846 » by Wizardspride » Wed May 19, 2021 8:22 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19


Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 44,705
And1: 9,223
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: The Washington Football Team Thread 

Post#847 » by Ruzious » Wed May 19, 2021 9:03 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
Wasn’t Moses is the one that got injured? He came back injured and that really hurt the team. Maybe it’s best both parties move on

Yeah, give him credit for playing hurt, but when he did that - he hurt the team by impersonating a matador. I think the real problem RR had with him was when he backed up Trent Williams and said something to the effect that it was about time someone stood up to Skins' management. It's one thing to stick up for your teammate, but taking a shot at your own team's management is a bozo no-no when your contract isn't guaranteed.

I don't get the Skins handling it this way - strategically. I think Moses had significant trade value. Just wait till some team that needs a tackle panics, and then trade him. He was signed for a reasonable price for this year and next. They destroyed his trade value, because teams know they'll end up cutting him if they can't get something for him.

According to various beat reporters Moses didn't/doesn't have much trade value.

He doesn't now - but that's because they basically told the NFL that they're going to cut him if his agent can't find a trade. I think he did before the Skins did that.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 44,705
And1: 9,223
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: The Washington Football Team Thread 

Post#848 » by Ruzious » Wed May 19, 2021 9:19 pm

One good thing - Moses leaving gives Saddiq Charles a legit chance to play next season - competing with Cosmi at RT or perhaps being the 3rd tackle. He doesn't have to move to guard.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
BearlyBallin
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,311
And1: 451
Joined: Mar 27, 2017
     

Re: The Washington Football Team Thread 

Post#849 » by BearlyBallin » Thu May 20, 2021 8:58 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=2o

Too bad they couldn’t trade either one of them. Wonder who takes them off waivers...
Tsze-Kung asked, "Is there one word which may serve as a rule of practice for all one's life?"

The Master said, "Is not Reciprocity such a word? What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others."
~ Confucius about 500 BC
Wizardspride
RealGM
Posts: 13,886
And1: 8,229
Joined: Nov 05, 2004
Location: Olney, MD/Kailua/Kaneohe, HI
       

Re: The Washington Football Team Thread 

Post#850 » by Wizardspride » Thu May 20, 2021 11:28 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 44,705
And1: 9,223
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: The Washington Football Team Thread 

Post#851 » by Ruzious » Fri May 21, 2021 12:25 am

BearlyBallin wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=2o

Too bad they couldn’t trade either one of them. Wonder who takes them off waivers...

Very odd that they didn't at least wait a while for someone to make an offer for Moses. I get them wanting to move on from him, but I don't get not trying harder to get something for him.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Wizardspride
RealGM
Posts: 13,886
And1: 8,229
Joined: Nov 05, 2004
Location: Olney, MD/Kailua/Kaneohe, HI
       

Re: The Washington Football Team Thread 

Post#852 » by Wizardspride » Fri May 21, 2021 12:40 pm

Ruzious wrote:
BearlyBallin wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=2o

Too bad they couldn’t trade either one of them. Wonder who takes them off waivers...

Very odd that they didn't at least wait a while for someone to make an offer for Moses. I get them wanting to move on from him, but I don't get not trying harder to get something for him.

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Moses Was Essentially a Free Agent

I had been thinking it to myself, and then OffSeasonOptimist articulated it perfectly in one of the Moses’ threads:

The economic mindset is that if you have a player with little to no dead money on his contract then each year the philosophy is to approach them like a free agent. If Moses was a free agent, would we pay him 7.5 million right now?

With no guaranteed money left on his contract in 2021 (just dead cap from the $1.9M signing bonus left), Moses was indeed, basically a free agent under the team’s control. I suspect that once they looked around and found that a starting left tackle, in Charles Leno, was costing them $5M (or less, we still haven’t seen the contract details), that they determined it wasn’t good value to be paying Moses $2.5M more than that at right tackle. And, I think that determination has been vindicated over the past week or so, as no one else seems interested in paying it either.

This is an incredibly sound way to evaluate players under contract, at or near the end of their guaranteed dollars, and in a year where the cap has taken 10% dip, it’s tough to be a player getting evaluated. At this point, Washington is paying Charles Leno and Cornelius Lucas, combined, what they are saving by releasing Moses ($7.5M).


A Trade Is a Zero Sum Game for the Team and Player

I haven’t seen it explicitly said, but I find it very difficult to imagine Washington didn’t try to shop Moses on the trade market before “letting him trying to find a trade partner himself.” To me, what that means is, the team received no interest given the current terms of Moses’ contract, and if he didn’t believe them, he was welcome to try for himself.

Of course, at this point, Moses found out what the team already had: No one is interested in paying $7.5M for an aging, though sturdy, right tackle, particularly if they have to give up a draft pick to do so. Any attempt to include draft capital in the trade would come directly out of the salary compensation Moses would be seeking, and my guess is the cost-benefit trade off - if there was even one on the table - of the salary Washington would have to eat in order to move Moses for a pick simply didn't make sense.

With his release, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Moses end up taking a 1-year deal in the $3-4M range, in an attempt to bide his time until 2022.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 44,705
And1: 9,223
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: The Washington Football Team Thread 

Post#853 » by Ruzious » Fri May 21, 2021 1:12 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
BearlyBallin wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=2o

Too bad they couldn’t trade either one of them. Wonder who takes them off waivers...

Very odd that they didn't at least wait a while for someone to make an offer for Moses. I get them wanting to move on from him, but I don't get not trying harder to get something for him.

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Moses Was Essentially a Free Agent

I had been thinking it to myself, and then OffSeasonOptimist articulated it perfectly in one of the Moses’ threads:

The economic mindset is that if you have a player with little to no dead money on his contract then each year the philosophy is to approach them like a free agent. If Moses was a free agent, would we pay him 7.5 million right now?

With no guaranteed money left on his contract in 2021 (just dead cap from the $1.9M signing bonus left), Moses was indeed, basically a free agent under the team’s control. I suspect that once they looked around and found that a starting left tackle, in Charles Leno, was costing them $5M (or less, we still haven’t seen the contract details), that they determined it wasn’t good value to be paying Moses $2.5M more than that at right tackle. And, I think that determination has been vindicated over the past week or so, as no one else seems interested in paying it either.

This is an incredibly sound way to evaluate players under contract, at or near the end of their guaranteed dollars, and in a year where the cap has taken 10% dip, it’s tough to be a player getting evaluated. At this point, Washington is paying Charles Leno and Cornelius Lucas, combined, what they are saving by releasing Moses ($7.5M).


A Trade Is a Zero Sum Game for the Team and Player

I haven’t seen it explicitly said, but I find it very difficult to imagine Washington didn’t try to shop Moses on the trade market before “letting him trying to find a trade partner himself.” To me, what that means is, the team received no interest given the current terms of Moses’ contract, and if he didn’t believe them, he was welcome to try for himself.

Of course, at this point, Moses found out what the team already had: No one is interested in paying $7.5M for an aging, though sturdy, right tackle, particularly if they have to give up a draft pick to do so. Any attempt to include draft capital in the trade would come directly out of the salary compensation Moses would be seeking, and my guess is the cost-benefit trade off - if there was even one on the table - of the salary Washington would have to eat in order to move Moses for a pick simply didn't make sense.

With his release, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Moses end up taking a 1-year deal in the $3-4M range, in an attempt to bide his time until 2022.

I think that's 100% a rationalization. Successful negotiating is like a poker game. When you give away your hand - by telling everyone what your cards are - you're basically... a sucker. Telling everyone you're shopping Moses was the bozo no-no. And the thing is - there was no rush. Just be patient, and you will most likely get an offer.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Wizardspride
RealGM
Posts: 13,886
And1: 8,229
Joined: Nov 05, 2004
Location: Olney, MD/Kailua/Kaneohe, HI
       

Re: The Washington Football Team Thread 

Post#854 » by Wizardspride » Fri May 21, 2021 4:50 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Very odd that they didn't at least wait a while for someone to make an offer for Moses. I get them wanting to move on from him, but I don't get not trying harder to get something for him.

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Moses Was Essentially a Free Agent

I had been thinking it to myself, and then OffSeasonOptimist articulated it perfectly in one of the Moses’ threads:

The economic mindset is that if you have a player with little to no dead money on his contract then each year the philosophy is to approach them like a free agent. If Moses was a free agent, would we pay him 7.5 million right now?

With no guaranteed money left on his contract in 2021 (just dead cap from the $1.9M signing bonus left), Moses was indeed, basically a free agent under the team’s control. I suspect that once they looked around and found that a starting left tackle, in Charles Leno, was costing them $5M (or less, we still haven’t seen the contract details), that they determined it wasn’t good value to be paying Moses $2.5M more than that at right tackle. And, I think that determination has been vindicated over the past week or so, as no one else seems interested in paying it either.

This is an incredibly sound way to evaluate players under contract, at or near the end of their guaranteed dollars, and in a year where the cap has taken 10% dip, it’s tough to be a player getting evaluated. At this point, Washington is paying Charles Leno and Cornelius Lucas, combined, what they are saving by releasing Moses ($7.5M).


A Trade Is a Zero Sum Game for the Team and Player

I haven’t seen it explicitly said, but I find it very difficult to imagine Washington didn’t try to shop Moses on the trade market before “letting him trying to find a trade partner himself.” To me, what that means is, the team received no interest given the current terms of Moses’ contract, and if he didn’t believe them, he was welcome to try for himself.

Of course, at this point, Moses found out what the team already had: No one is interested in paying $7.5M for an aging, though sturdy, right tackle, particularly if they have to give up a draft pick to do so. Any attempt to include draft capital in the trade would come directly out of the salary compensation Moses would be seeking, and my guess is the cost-benefit trade off - if there was even one on the table - of the salary Washington would have to eat in order to move Moses for a pick simply didn't make sense.

With his release, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Moses end up taking a 1-year deal in the $3-4M range, in an attempt to bide his time until 2022.

I think that's 100% a rationalization. Successful negotiating is like a poker game. When you give away your hand - by telling everyone what your cards are - you're basically... a sucker. Telling everyone you're shopping Moses was the bozo no-no. And the thing is - there was no rush. Just be patient, and you will most likely get an offer.


Honestly, I just think they want Cosmi to start and didn't want a potential distraction in Moses.

Ron strikes me as a "distraction adverse" dude in general.

Not the way I would have handled it but it is what it is.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
User avatar
tontoz
RealGM
Posts: 17,378
And1: 2,840
Joined: Apr 11, 2005

Re: The Washington Football Team Thread 

Post#855 » by tontoz » Fri May 21, 2021 5:03 pm

The Athletic ranked the NFL teams that improved the most through free agency and the draft. WFT was number 1.

Article is behind a paywall so i cant see what they said specifically. Heard about it on a podcast.

https://theathletic.com/2597505/2021/05/19/the-five-most-improved-nfl-teams-this-offseason-after-the-draft-free-agency/
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 44,705
And1: 9,223
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: The Washington Football Team Thread 

Post#856 » by Ruzious » Fri May 21, 2021 5:25 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

Moses Was Essentially a Free Agent

I had been thinking it to myself, and then OffSeasonOptimist articulated it perfectly in one of the Moses’ threads:

The economic mindset is that if you have a player with little to no dead money on his contract then each year the philosophy is to approach them like a free agent. If Moses was a free agent, would we pay him 7.5 million right now?

With no guaranteed money left on his contract in 2021 (just dead cap from the $1.9M signing bonus left), Moses was indeed, basically a free agent under the team’s control. I suspect that once they looked around and found that a starting left tackle, in Charles Leno, was costing them $5M (or less, we still haven’t seen the contract details), that they determined it wasn’t good value to be paying Moses $2.5M more than that at right tackle. And, I think that determination has been vindicated over the past week or so, as no one else seems interested in paying it either.

This is an incredibly sound way to evaluate players under contract, at or near the end of their guaranteed dollars, and in a year where the cap has taken 10% dip, it’s tough to be a player getting evaluated. At this point, Washington is paying Charles Leno and Cornelius Lucas, combined, what they are saving by releasing Moses ($7.5M).


A Trade Is a Zero Sum Game for the Team and Player

I haven’t seen it explicitly said, but I find it very difficult to imagine Washington didn’t try to shop Moses on the trade market before “letting him trying to find a trade partner himself.” To me, what that means is, the team received no interest given the current terms of Moses’ contract, and if he didn’t believe them, he was welcome to try for himself.

Of course, at this point, Moses found out what the team already had: No one is interested in paying $7.5M for an aging, though sturdy, right tackle, particularly if they have to give up a draft pick to do so. Any attempt to include draft capital in the trade would come directly out of the salary compensation Moses would be seeking, and my guess is the cost-benefit trade off - if there was even one on the table - of the salary Washington would have to eat in order to move Moses for a pick simply didn't make sense.

With his release, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Moses end up taking a 1-year deal in the $3-4M range, in an attempt to bide his time until 2022.

I think that's 100% a rationalization. Successful negotiating is like a poker game. When you give away your hand - by telling everyone what your cards are - you're basically... a sucker. Telling everyone you're shopping Moses was the bozo no-no. And the thing is - there was no rush. Just be patient, and you will most likely get an offer.


Honestly, I just think they want Cosmi to start and didn't want a potential distraction in Moses.

Ron strikes me as a "distraction adverse" dude in general.

Not the way I would have handled it but it is what it is.

Good call. The way he runs things, getting a pick was less important than doing things the way he thinks they should be done. He wasn't going to wait and treat Moses like crap by keeping him in limbo.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
BearlyBallin
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,311
And1: 451
Joined: Mar 27, 2017
     

Re: The Washington Football Team Thread 

Post#857 » by BearlyBallin » Fri May 21, 2021 9:26 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Tsze-Kung asked, "Is there one word which may serve as a rule of practice for all one's life?"

The Master said, "Is not Reciprocity such a word? What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others."
~ Confucius about 500 BC
Wizardspride
RealGM
Posts: 13,886
And1: 8,229
Joined: Nov 05, 2004
Location: Olney, MD/Kailua/Kaneohe, HI
       

Re: The Washington Football Team Thread 

Post#858 » by Wizardspride » Sat May 22, 2021 4:17 am

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 44,705
And1: 9,223
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: The Washington Football Team Thread 

Post#859 » by Ruzious » Sat May 22, 2021 4:22 am

Read on Twitter


I had to do a double-take. And then a triple-take. That's the first time I thought... Dan Snyder seems actually kinda cool. That's gotta be someone impersonating him.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM
Posts: 16,466
And1: 5,294
Joined: May 02, 2012
Location: On the Atlantic

Re: The Washington Football Team Thread 

Post#860 » by payitforward » Sun May 23, 2021 1:59 am

tontoz wrote:The Athletic ranked the NFL teams that improved the most through free agency and the draft. WFT was number 1.

Article is behind a paywall so i cant see what they said specifically. Heard about it on a podcast.

https://theathletic.com/2597505/2021/05/19/the-five-most-improved-nfl-teams-this-offseason-after-the-draft-free-agency/

Here you go:

"1. Washington Football Team
Notable additions: Ryan Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson III, Charles Leno, Ereck Flowers, Jamin Davis (rookie), Samuel Cosmi (rookie), Bobby McCain

"What it means for 2021: This year’s Washington Football Team is going to be an excellent test case for what it means when a team goes from basement-level QB play to competence at the position. Washington finished dead last (by a mile) last season in passing DVOA. Alex Smith and Dwayne Haskins ranked 36th and 37th, respectively, out of 38 qualified QBS in EPA per drop back. It’s a testament to how great the Football Team’s defense was in 2020 that this team managed to win seven games. Luckily, that’s where Ryan Fitzpatrick comes in. No one thinks that the 38-year-old journeyman quarterback is the long-term answer in Washington. He signed a one-year, $10 million deal this spring on his latest stop around the league. But even if Fitzpatrick isn’t the QB of the future, he’s a pretty good option for the present! Fitzpatrick finished sixth in EPA per drop back last season with the Dolphins. Sixth! And he did it with arguably a worse supporting cast than the one he’ll have in Washington this season. If Washington can field even an average passing offense with Fitzpatrick this fall (which is easy to believe), it will look like they’re playing a completely different sport on that side of the ball.

"Along with the upgrade to Fitzpatrick, Washington also bolstered multiple important spots on its offense. Head coach Ron Rivera signed former Panthers receiver Curtis Samuel to a three-year, $34.5 million contract to play opposite Terry McLaurin. Samuel’s multifaceted role, speed, and ability to play inside and out should bring a new dimension to Washington’s passing game that it lacked last season. Former Bears tackle Charles Leno isn’t nearly as flashy of a move, but nabbing a six-year starter for just $5 million in late May is a coup for Washington. Plugging Leno in at left tackle in the short term allows Washington to bring second-round pick Sam Cosmi along at his own pace rather than relying on him to be their Day 1 starter at the position. Even a move like trading for guard Ereck Flowers and bringing him back to Washington is a subtle upgrade for this offensive line. It’s frankly staggering how much better Washington’s offense looks on paper right now than it did at the end of last season.

"The defense didn’t need an overhaul this spring, but signing Jackson to a big-money deal should allow Washington to play more man coverage and diversify their defense after a zone-heavy approach in the first season under Rivera. McCain is another quality post-draft signing that gives Washington additional depth on the back end of its defense. For Washington fans who were looking to build on a surprising playoff push in Rivera’s debut season, this offseason went about as well as it possibly could’ve. On paper, this is a legitimate playoff team."
Remember -- if you don't like the post above: blame Doc not me.

Return to Washington Wizards