Official Trade Thread -- Part XXXIX

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Re: Official Trade Thread -- Part XXXIX 

Post#281 » by pcbothwel » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:33 pm

Dark Faze wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:Sorry folks, but you'll are attributing way too much positive impact of Drummond on this team in the hope he gets us over the hump.
No need to overthink this and get too crazy.
Assuming Okongwu is gone at 9...
- Draft Vassell at 9, Pritchard at 37, and sign Noel for the MLE.
- Trade Ish & Robinson for Delon Wright

Wall / Wright / Pritchard
Beal / Vassell / Wright
Brown / Bonga
Rui / Bertans / Bonga
Bryant / Noel / Wagner

I thin many would be shocked how good that team would be.

Man I dunno. That starting lineup doesn't seem to have any particular goal in mind. The rebounding is terrible, the defense is terrible, you've got 4 guys who arguably are best with the ball in their hand, and a real lack of shooting on the wings.

Dont worry about Starting vs Bench... I didnt care to worry that much. Point is, we have Both High level On-Ball and Team defenders, shooting, creating, vision, IQ, rebounding, etc. at every level (Guard, wing, big).
Having broad and fluid skill sets at each position allow us to match up and exploit any given lineup.

Pritchard, Beal, Vassell, Bertans, Bryant can shoot from ANYWHERE.
Wall, Wright, Vassell, Bonga, Noel can cover the entire floor defensively and cause havoc.
Wall, Beal, Brown, Rui, and Bryant are all capable of beating their man 1 on 1 and make double teaming impossible.

Our guards can play the 1 or 2 (Or even some 3)
Our wings can guard the 1-4.
And our bigs can play with eachother due to ability to spread the floor (Bryant) and guard the perimeter (Noel)
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,873

Post#282 » by payitforward » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:40 pm

pcbothwel wrote:...- Trade Ish & Robinson for Delon Wright...

Why does Dallas give us Delon Wright for Ish & Robinson?
1. Wright is better than Ish.
2. Robinson's market value was demonstrated a few short months ago: it is zero.

I don't think anyone would go for that trade.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,332

Post#283 » by nate33 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:52 pm

payitforward wrote:

Many Dallas fans love the idea and would even include a pick (or at least a pro-Wizards pick swap) to make it happen. They'd do it because they are trying to dump Wright's 2021 money so they have max room for Giannis. Also, Wright has stated that he is unhappy in Dallas.
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#284 » by Dark Faze » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:56 pm

Is it possible to extend an offer to both Noel and Bertans assuming it takes a little over 10 million a season to land Noel and in the area of 13-15 for Bertans?
WizarDynasty
Veteran
And1: 192

Post#285 » by WizarDynasty » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:58 pm

had some issues with prospects
Build your team with five shooters using Paul Pierce Form deeply bent hips and lower back arch at same time. before rising into shot. Elbow not pointing to the ground! } Avdija=young Paul Pierce
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant

Post#286 » by pcbothwel » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:59 pm

payitforward wrote:

1A) True, Delon is better than Ish, but a very different player. Delon doesnt have the ball handling/PnR ability that Ish has. So its more of a style preference.
1B) Ish & Robinson are expiring while Delon is paid the MLE through next year. The Mavs are looking to maximize Cap space next year and Im not sure they could get a better player & Fit as an expiring than Ish/Robinson.

2) As I alluded to, Robinson is in their for salary reasons and is expiring. That said, he is a 23 y/o former lotto pick that seems to have found his shot last year (35% 3pt% with us), has an AST:TOV ratio of ~2:1, and grades to be average defensively. As a 10-12th man, a team could do plenty worse.

Again, I dont disagree.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#287 » by payitforward » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:22 pm

pcbothwel wrote:...Assuming Okongwu is gone at 9...
- Draft Vassell at 9....

I find it impossible to differentiate Vassell's value as a prospect from @5-7 other players. Hence I would be aggressive in seeking a trade down in this case.

No one thinks Danny Ainge is going to add 3 or 4 rookies to the Celts. Seems like he'd take the #9 for the #14, #30 & #47. Otherwise, #9 to the Pels for #s 13, 39 & 41. Or to the Kings for #12 & #35.

Any of those is quite likely to yield the much-loved Precious Achiuwa. To which

- the first might add Xavier Tillman & Paul Reed;
- the second is even more likely to get Achiuwa plus Reed & another of those numerous solid guard prospects -- or maybe Vernon Carey, Jr. instead; &
- the 3d is all the more likely yet to get us Precious -- plus Reed or Tillman or Tyler Bey....

If Precious were gone at whichever of #12, 13 or 14 we wound up with, then perhaps Vassell would still be there. If not, why then it's Saddiq Bey, another favorite here, or Nesmith, ditto. Or Hampton -- plus the rest of the haul.

pcbothwel wrote:...Pritchard at 37....

Sure -- & if not him there will be a slew of solid prospects to choose from.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#288 » by payitforward » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:36 pm

pcbothwel wrote:
payitforward wrote:

1A) True, Delon is better than Ish, but a very different player. Delon doesnt have the ball handling/PnR ability that Ish has. So its more of a style preference.
1B) Ish & Robinson are expiring while Delon is paid the MLE through next year. The Mavs are looking to maximize Cap space next year and Im not sure they could get a better player & Fit as an expiring than Ish/Robinson.

2) As I alluded to, Robinson is in their for salary reasons and is expiring. That said, he is a 23 y/o former lotto pick that seems to have found his shot last year (35% 3pt% with us), has an AST:TOV ratio of ~2:1, and grades to be average defensively. As a 10-12th man, a team could do plenty worse.

Again, I dont disagree.

1A -- not a style preference. Delon is a ton better than Ish, a different category of player -- & asset, being much younger as well.
1B -- how much does it matter whether an expiring player brings "fit?" Make a trade at the deadline.
2 -- a team could do a little worse for a 12th player, sure (not a lot). But you just gave away most of your salary savings next year in return for an essentially untradable player. No -- not happening.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant

Post#289 » by pcbothwel » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:05 pm

payitforward wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:
payitforward wrote:Why does Dallas give us Delon Wright for Ish & Robinson?

Again, I dont disagree.

1A -- not a style preference. Delon is a ton better than Ish, a different category of player -- & asset, being much younger as well.
1B -- how much does it matter whether an expiring player brings "fit?" Make a trade at the deadline.
2 -- a team could do a little worse for a 12th player, sure (not a lot). But you just gave away most of your salary savings next year in return for an essentially untradable player. No -- not happening.

PIF... Robinson is not signed for 21/22. Again, this allows Dallas to get an expiring for Delon w/o taking a significant step down in production. As others of said, we didnt suggest it... Mavs fans have.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant

Post#290 » by pcbothwel » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:19 pm

Dark Faze wrote:Is it possible to extend an offer to both Noel and Bertans assuming it takes a little over 10 million a season to land Noel and in the area of 13-15 for Bertans?

1) Depends on what happens with the Lux tax. I believe that the Lux tax will increase to about 132-135M, which would be enough to add both.
2) Noel is not getting 10M+. He made 1.7M last year and then performed about the same as he did the year before. I think 3/21M is the MAX offer he would get given the landscape. Whiteside, Noel, WCS, Harrell, TT, John Henson... Too much supply for any team to over spend on a Center with a limited Skill set, especially in this environment. And we haven't even included the influx from Wiseman, Okongwu, Smith, Reed, Perry, Carrie, Tillman, Stewart, Oturu, and Achiuwa.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#291 » by Ruzious » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:17 pm

nate33 wrote:
payitforward wrote:

Many Dallas fans love the idea and would even include a pick (or at least a pro-Wizards pick swap) to make it happen. They'd do it because they are trying to dump Wright's 2021 money so they have max room for Giannis. Also, Wright has stated that he is unhappy in Dallas.

Not to mention that Wright didn't even play in a couple of their playoff games and fell completely behind Trey Burke - who was behind Jalen Brunson, and Brunson was out for the entire playoffs with an injury. And if they need more depth, they can always re-sign JJ Barea for the veteran minimum - he seemed to still have something left. Not to mention, they have Curry and someone named Doncic in the backcourt. Will they get Giannis? Probably not. But if you had any chance to get Giannis to play with Doncic, wouldn't you risk losing Wright? And there will probably be other nice alternatives in free agency.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM

Post#292 » by payitforward » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:21 pm

pcbothwel wrote:
payitforward wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:1A) True, Delon is better than Ish, but a very different player. Delon doesnt have the ball handling/PnR ability that Ish has. So its more of a style preference.

Again, I dont disagree.

PIF... Robinson is not signed for 21/22. Again, this allows Dallas to get an expiring for Delon w/o taking a significant step down in production. As others of said, we didnt suggest it... Mavs fans have.

Well... no question I would do this trade -- twice if I could! :)

But, Mavs fans on a Board have no downside in urging their team to go all in on landing the Greek freak. The FO, however, would be looking for other jobs if they did this deal then didn't wind up w/ Giannis! & since a lot of teams will be angling for him, that's what's most likely to happen.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#293 » by Ruzious » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:57 pm

If the Wiz do go for it all, Bogdan Bogdanovic is a player I'd target - maybe midseason - trading Bertans for him - maybe in a 3-way trade where a younger player(s) goes to Sacramento. He'd give us that 3rd highly skilled perimeter player. And I think he's much longer than people realize - with a 6'11 wingspan and 8'8 standing reach - able to play the 3 or the 2. Our roster:

1. Wall, Ish or Napier, Flynn (37th pick)
2. Beal, Robinson, Mathews
3. Bogdan, TBJ, Admiral
4. Rui, Okongwu, Bonga
5. Bryant, Wagner

Of course, getting Okongwu will take lots o luck. But it shows you, getting him opens up the possibility that the Wiz can be very good in 20/21.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#294 » by Ruzious » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:21 pm

payitforward wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:
payitforward wrote:1A -- not a style preference. Delon is a ton better than Ish, a different category of player -- & asset, being much younger as well.

Well... no question I would do this trade -- twice if I could! :)

But, Mavs fans on a Board have no downside in urging their team to go all in on landing the Greek freak. The FO, however, would be looking for other jobs if they did this deal then didn't wind up w/ Giannis! & since a lot of teams will be angling for him, that's what's most likely to happen.

Because Giannis will be the only good free agent available after next season?
payitforward
RealGM

Post#295 » by payitforward » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:14 am

Ruzious wrote:If the Wiz do go for it all, Bogdan Bogdanovic is a player I'd target - maybe midseason - trading Bertans for him - maybe in a 3-way trade where a younger player(s) goes to Sacramento. He'd give us that 3rd highly skilled perimeter player. And I think he's much longer than people realize - with a 6'11 wingspan and 8'8 standing reach - able to play the 3 or the 2. Our roster:

1. Wall, Ish or Napier, Flynn (37th pick)
2. Beal, Robinson, Mathews
3. Bogdan, TBJ, Admiral
4. Rui, Okongwu, Bonga
5. Bryant, Wagner

Of course, getting Okongwu will take lots o luck. But it shows you, getting him opens up the possibility that the Wiz can be very good in 20/21.

This puzzles me, Ruz.

I don't share the enthusiasm for Bogdanovic, & if we wind up drafting Okongwu I'd bet on him starting over Rui -- not to mention that you managed to leave Bertans off the roster. I also think that both Brown & Bonga played better than your lineups seem to credit them with.
JAR69
Senior
And1: 224

Post#296 » by JAR69 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:04 am

I still want Jemerrio Jones back. I meant it. Still the same player, only moreso. Shot even worse from 3, but led the G-League in rebounding. Pretty good advanced stats. He'd make a nice 5th guard, useful for cooling down heat-checkers.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/gleague/players/j/jonesje01d.html
"It takes talent, strategy and millions of dollars to compete in the N.B.A. But regret is the league’s greatest currency." - Howard Beck
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#297 » by Ruzious » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:03 pm

JAR69 wrote:I still want Jemerrio Jones back. I meant it. Still the same player, only moreso. Shot even worse from 3, but led the G-League in rebounding. Pretty good advanced stats. He'd make a nice 5th guard, useful for cooling down heat-checkers.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/gleague/players/j/jonesje01d.html

The player most like him in this draft is Nate Hinton, and I like him a bit better than Jem, because Hinton can make 3's, and he's built a little stronger.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#298 » by payitforward » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:59 pm

Love Hinton -- but... we don't know that we can get him. We'd need a pick somewhere in the 40s -- maybe the high 40s to be absolutely certain.

As to Jones, I have never seen a set of numbers that look anything like the numbers he put up in the Gleague this year. First off, despite shooting .218 on 3's & .549 on FTs, he nonetheless put up a .603 TS%!!

Of course there's a bit more to it than that. Per 36 minutes, Jemerrio put up 10 shots plus 1.5 FTs to produce 12.8 points -- very efficient. He only missed 4 shots.

Except, he turned the ball over 2.8 times. :(
But... he grabbed almost 4.9 offensive rebounds! :)

What that means overall is that per 36 minutes he cost his team @8.7 offensive possessions for which he returned 12.8 points. That is beyond outstanding. Calculating its efficiency using the TS% formula it equals .748, which is... staggeringly high!

Obviously, that's on low usage, it's still kind of amazing, especially if you notice that he also got 5.2 assists per 36 minutes!

Now look at his defensive numbers: 9.5 defensive boards, 1.8 steals, & 1 blocked shot. Doesn't foul much either.

Those are just unbelievable numbers overall -- they're Gleague not NBA, but... he was reasonably near this production level in the minutes he played for LA. I can't believe there isn't a team that could use him for 15-20 minutes a night.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,008

Post#299 » by dckingsfan » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:41 pm

nate33 wrote:
payitforward wrote:

That does seem to be the thinking in Dallas. Wright is unhappy (moved to SG/SF) in Dallas, Dallas is unhappy with Wright (Contract). The real question would be would Dallas find another trading partner with better assets. If they didn't I could see them pulling the trigger on this one.

I think they would trade 37 for 31 if push came to shove. Does Boston do a 9 + 31 for 14 + 26 + 30 (if the player we want isn't there at 9?) Or does 9 + 31 move you up a couple of spots to get who you want?
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#300 » by Ruzious » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:45 pm

Hopefully, Gem gets the promotion from the Sconsin Herd to the Bucks - who will likely have several roster spots available. He apparently does have a bit of a temper - getting 13 technicals in the G league last season and earning a game's suspensions for it.

Return to Washington Wizards