ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Trade Thread -- Part XXXIX

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

smoothSeph
Pro Prospect
And1: 526

Re: Official Trade Thread -- Part XXXIX 

Post#621 » by smoothSeph » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:37 pm

Ruzious wrote:So, where are we trading Ish? With no Wall trade and Neto aboard - not to mention drafting a PG and saying TBJ will play some PG, seems like there's no room for Ish. Hmm, that would be a good title - "No room for Ish".

Sheppard said Wall wouldn't be playing in B2B games. I guess they brought Neto in to be the back up in these situations?
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,570

Post#622 » by pcbothwel » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:38 pm

Ruzious wrote:So, where are we trading Ish? With no Wall trade and Neto aboard - not to mention drafting a PG and saying TBJ will play some PG, seems like there's no room for Ish. Hmm, that would be a good title - "No room for Ish".

Nowhere...yet.
We are cramming together this season and we dont know how John will respond once the intensity picks up.

Wall, Ish, Neto are the PGs with Winston starting in the G League. Once we get about 15-20 games in we'll see how Wall responds and how Winston looks in the GLeague. We can then assess at that point as we just dont know where needs could pop up.

Also, we need to be careful about next year. We'll need to resign Bonga and we'll want to use the MLE I assume... which puts us right up near the Lux tax.... So taking on salary for next year should be done cautiously.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,301

Post#623 » by nate33 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:58 pm

smoothSeph wrote:

Sheppard said Wall wouldn't be playing in B2B games. I guess they brought Neto in to be the back up in these situations?

I think Wall starts and Ish is the backup.

When Wall sits out back-to-back games, Neto starts and Ish is backup (rather than Ish starting and Neto backing up). That maintains the maximum continuity to develop player chemistry. That has typically been Brooks' MO.

If, as the season wears on and Wall looks very good, it wouldn't surprise me if they start shopping Ish around before the Deadline. See if they can exchange him for a 2nd round pick rather than letting him walk at the end of the year for nothing. Maybe over the last 30 games, Wall starts playing in back-to-backs, or maybe Winston is ready to step in, or maybe Troy Brown.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,044

Post#624 » by queridiculo » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:16 pm

smoothSeph wrote:Sheppard said Wall wouldn't be playing in B2B games. I guess they brought Neto in to be the back up in these situations?

For sure, from the Post.

Sheppard wrote:“With the schedule that we’re being told may have up to 14 back-to-backs, we’re going to have to be real selective, but I can’t see him playing in every one of those back-to-backs,” Sheppard said. “… We’re going to do everything that we can with John’s health. We’re going to be conservative as he comes out the starting blocks and really make sure we’re always a step ahead of him a little bit. If it was up to John, he’d play in every game, play every minute out there.”

Washington isn't going to take any chances with Wall having setbacks or anything of the sort
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#625 » by Ruzious » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:06 pm

queridiculo wrote:
smoothSeph wrote:Sheppard said Wall wouldn't be playing in B2B games. I guess they brought Neto in to be the back up in these situations?

For sure, from the Post.

Sheppard wrote:“With the schedule that we’re being told may have up to 14 back-to-backs, we’re going to have to be real selective, but I can’t see him playing in every one of those back-to-backs,” Sheppard said. “… We’re going to do everything that we can with John’s health. We’re going to be conservative as he comes out the starting blocks and really make sure we’re always a step ahead of him a little bit. If it was up to John, he’d play in every game, play every minute out there.”

Washington isn't going to take any chances with Wall having setbacks or anything of the sort

Wow - 14 back to backs - very smart by Tommy.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
gesa2
Rookie
And1: 250

Post#626 » by gesa2 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:51 pm

payitforward wrote:I read the article, Ruz. I know what he says in it. As I wrote, he's exactly correct in pointing to Ted as the person who must take responsibility for solving this problem.

But Aldridge is a journalist (a good one) not a businessman, a story-teller not a problem-solver. Aldridge takes all the pieces of the issue at face value & treats them as the elements of a drama or a film scenario -- there's a plot, characters, drama & a denouement.

The problem with that point of view is pretty simple: if you treat life as if it were Othello or King Lear, then you get the same result as in those plays -- everyone suffers. No one comes out whole.

There is no upside in this situation if it continues on that basis. Once John Wall becomes a malcontent, the guy who forced a trade because his ego was too big to handle the situation he was in, he'll always be that. & he'll be traded again -- I can guarantee it. His career will be significantly diminished, more likely ruined.

IOW, John Wall -- not the Wizards -- is the one with the most to lose. Though, of course, the Wizards will lose too. That's how tragedy works: one person is at the center of the suffering, but everyone suffers. & the entire structure in which they lived -- whether it was family, country, whatever -- is destroyed.

There is no need to accept that framework, because there is no benefit to accepting it. Just pain.

This situation is, at its heart, a business problem. & if it isn't one, it needs to be turned into one. When Ted Leonsis met John Wall he was a 19 year old kid. Ted has watched him turn into a man. & a star. Ted & only Ted has the seniority, the standing with John, to help him turn the head of this beast of an issue before it slams into a wall.

Yes, John has an ego; he has a right to an ego. & he's sensitive; he has a right to that sensitivity. But, no human issue is solved via the assertion of ego. None. Never.

I'm not saying this one can be solved at all. I'm saying that if it can be, it will only be by Ted -- & only if Ted Leonsis is smart enough, big enough & deep enough to take it on.

The worst & weakest thing to do will be to trade John Wall -- as if this will put the problem behind you. The opposite, if you trade him then you have the problem on your resume & your balance sheet forever. It's failure. For the Wizards & (as I've said several times now) all the more for John.

PIF I love your thoughts on relationship building and managing people even more than your basketball analysis (which I like a lot)
This is great, and completely true.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#627 » by payitforward » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:36 am

Thanks, man, I appreciate it. Here's hoping I'm right in this case! Best for all concerned if it goes that way....
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,969

Post#628 » by DCZards » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:53 am

payitforward wrote:Well... I've made myself clear. I simply do nothing. Certainly, I don't give stuff away to move John.

Come the start of training camp, John either shows up or he doesn't. 99% he shows up. By then he'll have had enough conversations to realize that he can't help himself by being intransigent.

Once he's in camp, there are plenty of opportunities for Tommy to say he's sorry for the "building around Beal" remark -- & that it was taken out of context, didn't mean *not* building around you, John! Ted shows up with the same attitude. Beal says "I don't know what he was talking about, can't wait for us to be on the court together," etc. etc. etc.

In the end, it's "Hey we're family -- & every family has squabbles -- let's show the world that we can get past this."

Agree with this. I too believe that the prudent thing to do is to do nothing when it comes to trading Wall...with the hope and expectation that things can be talked through and that a lot of John's frustrations will take a backseat when he's back on the court competing again.

However, I disagree with a previous post by you, PIF, where you laid the blame for this current mini-crisis with Wall at the feet of Leonis. Not sure how that can be the case when it was Tommy--and not Ted--who made "building around Beal" remark that may have pissed JW off.

But I do agree that Ted, who is apparently very close to Wall, has a critical role in restoring the positive vibes between Wall and the franchise.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#629 » by payitforward » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:38 am

I'm happy to say that Tommy is simply looking at the reporter and saying, "we have no plan to trade John Wall."
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,343

Post#630 » by doclinkin » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:42 am

DCZards wrote:
payitforward wrote:Well... I've made myself clear. I simply do nothing. Certainly, I don't give stuff away to move John.

Come the start of training camp, John either shows up or he doesn't. 99% he shows up. By then he'll have had enough conversations to realize that he can't help himself by being intransigent.

Once he's in camp, there are plenty of opportunities for Tommy to say he's sorry for the "building around Beal" remark -- & that it was taken out of context, didn't mean *not* building around you, John! Ted shows up with the same attitude. Beal says "I don't know what he was talking about, can't wait for us to be on the court together," etc. etc. etc.

In the end, it's "Hey we're family -- & every family has squabbles -- let's show the world that we can get past this."

Agree with this. I too believe that the prudent thing to do is to do nothing when it comes to trading Wall...with the hope and expectation that things can be talked through and that a lot of John's frustrations will take a backseat when he's back on the court competing again.

However, I disagree with a previous post by you, PIF, where you laid the blame for this current mini-crisis with Wall at the feet of Leonis. Not sure how that can be the case when it was Tommy--and not Ted--who made "building around Beal" remark that may have pissed JW off.

But I do agree that Ted, who is apparently very close to Wall, has a critical role in restoring the positive vibes between Wall and the franchise.

Apparently (from David Aldrige) it was Ted who was 'furious' about the shirtless gang sign Party John video, and from there he was lightly shopped around when Houston called, which was what precipitated the "Wall wants to be traded" tweets. Maybe the Building around Beal thing added to it, but that's not what the jump off was for the trade talk. That sort of thing comes from the top down, and ran counter to what Tommy had been saying even after that incident. Wall hearing that Ted is okay with trading him would probably feel like a betrayal of the whole "DCFamily" thing. So yeah, it is up to Leonsis to smooth over that part.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#631 » by payitforward » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:04 am

DCZards wrote:...I disagree with a previous post by you, PIF, where you laid the blame for this current mini-crisis with Wall at the feet of Leonis. Not sure how that can be the case when it was Tommy--and not Ted--who made "building around Beal" remark that may have pissed JW off.

Zards -- I wish you'd quoted whatever it was I wrote that you differed with.

If I expressed myself badly, making it seem that Ted was somehow to blame for this problem, let me make it clear right now that I don't think he is -- I can't see how he is in any way! What I do think is that he's the guy who'll have to solve the problem.

There's a saying in business: "**** flows up hill." I'm sure you know it, but if someone else doesn't, what it means is that as a problem grows in significance it moves towards the boss.

As to Tommy saying "we're building around Beal," it points to one of the problems with him (wch I'll get to another day & wch I don't think are fatal to him or must cripple his success). My guess would be that when he said those words he meant to put to bed the idea that we'd be looking to trade Brad -- "the opposite, we're building around him!" & that is all he meant those words to accomplish.

I would imagine that it did not, would never, occur to Tommy that John Wall would see those words as, in effect, a rejection of him, a demotion of him & his place in the organization. That idea would not enter Tommy's mind, so he would be unlikely to think someone else would come up with it.

In fact, if he did intend to do that, the last thing in the world he'd want to do is give voice to the idea! It'd make doing it much harder & much more expensive for the organization.

But, to be sure, somewhere along the way, he'll need to make that clear to John. Either specifically, by saying it, or in other ways -- which wouldn't be difficult either.

Anyway... sorry to have created misunderstanding myself!

& remember, Zards -- you & all the rest of you -- we're building this board around all of you. We're not just building around doc & nate & Ruzious & WD & the rest of the so-called smartypants set! So let's all pick up the pace & post more!
payitforward
RealGM

Post#632 » by payitforward » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:09 am

doclinkin wrote:...Apparently (from David Aldrige) it was Ted who was 'furious' about the shirtless gang sign Party John video, and from there he was lightly shopped around when Houston called, which was what precipitated the "Wall wants to be traded" tweets. Maybe the Building around Beal thing added to it, but that's not what the jump off was for the trade talk. That sort of thing comes from the top down, and ran counter to what Tommy had been saying even after that incident. Wall hearing that Ted is okay with trading him would probably feel like a betrayal of the whole "DCFamily" thing. So yeah, it is up to Leonsis to smooth over that part.

I'm not surprised he was furious. But there are lots of options for what to do with your fury, & pissing in the bowl of soup you'll be eating for lunch is not usually considered among the most advisable of those options!
DCZards
General Manager

Post#633 » by DCZards » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:47 am

payitforward wrote:Let me put that a little more strongly: it was Ted's job to make sure nothing like this happened. The single best way for him to solve it now would be to tell both of them that this conflict is entirely his fault. Defective leadership on his part. & he doesn't want them to suffer for it. He doesn't want it to be his fault that John's career is ruined and/or that Tommy's is.

PIF, this is the quote from the previous post that I was referring to. Seems to me like you're blaming Leonis for a problem that I assume was caused by what Tommy said. But I may be wrong about that. It may have been, as doc says, that it was Ted's reaction to the gang sign video that pissed Wallstar off.
DCZards
General Manager

Post#634 » by DCZards » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:01 am

doclinkin wrote:
Apparently (from David Aldrige) it was Ted who was 'furious' about the shirtless gang sign Party John video, and from there he was lightly shopped around when Houston called, which was what precipitated the "Wall wants to be traded" tweets. Maybe the Building around Beal thing added to it, but that's not what the jump off was for the trade talk. That sort of thing comes from the top down, and ran counter to what Tommy had been saying even after that incident. Wall hearing that Ted is okay with trading him would probably feel like a betrayal of the whole "DCFamily" thing. So yeah, it is up to Leonsis to smooth over that part.

Aldridge may very well be right that it was John's gang sign video that made Leonis furious.

I'm with Ted. But not because of the gang signs. Leonis and Tommy should be furious at Wall for letting himself be videotaped in such a compromising situation. I know I am. Not only was his throwing up gang signs but John looked intoxicated (although he may have not been) and the guy sitting next to him was smoking a blunt and giving the double middle finger. Not a good look.

John has been in the spotlight long enough to know that he shouldn't allow himself to be videotaped like that. I'm cool with the partying--I've done my share of it--but when you're a celeb the rule should be NO photos or videotaping.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,343

Post#635 » by doclinkin » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:23 am

DCZards wrote:
doclinkin wrote:

Aldridge may very well be right that it was John's gang sign video that made Leonis furious.

I'm with Ted. But not because of the gang signs. Leonis and Tommy should be furious at Wall for letting himself be videotaped in such a compromising situation. I know I am. Not only was his throwing up gang signs but John looked intoxicated (although he may have not been) and the guy sitting next to him was smoking a blunt and giving the double middle finger. Not a good look.

John has been in the spotlight long enough to know that he shouldn't allow himself to be videotaped like that. I'm cool with the partying--I've done my share of it--but when you're a celeb the rule should be NO photos or videotaping.

Fair. But. Furious enough to start shopping him? If we are all FAMILY FAMILY FAMILY as Ted has been promoting with John, then you get pissed at him to his face and talk with him about it behind closed doors and give him room to make good in some way, instead of telling Tommy to sniff around on the sly to see what his value is. Leastways that seems to me what John's upset might be. The 'This is Beal's team" thing was coming out of fathead Chris Miller as speculation of why John might be pissed, but the Ted talk seemed to be the trigger for Tommy suddenly exploring other options when he had been saying all along WallandBeal WallandBeal WallandBeal. Tommy knows how invested Ted has been with Wall, if that conversation happens it is because it is coming from Ted. Up to Ted to fix it if he can. And Wall to simply ball the f--- out, if he really feels he needs a change of venue.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#636 » by payitforward » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:38 pm

DCZards wrote:
payitforward wrote:Let me put that a little more strongly: it was Ted's job to make sure nothing like this happened. The single best way for him to solve it now would be to tell both of them that this conflict is entirely his fault. Defective leadership on his part. & he doesn't want them to suffer for it. He doesn't want it to be his fault that John's career is ruined and/or that Tommy's is.

PIF, this is the quote from the previous post that I was referring to. Seems to me like you're blaming Leonis for a problem that I assume was caused by what Tommy said. But I may be wrong about that. It may have been, as doc says, that it was Ted's reaction to the gang sign video that pissed Wallstar off.

Well, that's an extreme way that I put it! -- but, even in this case, it does't mean Ted *caused* the problem, or at least I didn't mean that! What I meant was that, as leader of the whole joint, I would expect Ted to have an active understanding of his key people & be ahead of the game in making sure "we" are all thoughtful in how we express ourselves.

For sure that includes his own expressions. Thus, however he reacted internally to Wall's gang signs, he should have talked with John privately, immediately, to let him know what kind of problem this created for the Wizards, & that he was going to have to express something about it in an "official" way, i.e. publicly.

That said, none of us can be smart enough or rational enough or have enough self-knowledge that we handle problems perfectly every time.

The other thing I say above, which is a little different, is that once the problem existed, "the single best way for him (Ted) to solve it" is to take responsibility for it. To say, if you will, a version of what your post describes me as saying.

But, this is leadership strategy, not an indictment of Ted. If the guy at the top says "it was all my fault," other people learn that it's okay to have made a mistake & cop to it. Turn it into, as they say, "a teachable moment."

In fairness, it's a lot easier for me to sit here at my desk & "understand" this situation than it is for people who are actually in it to step coolly outside of their emotions & perform at A+ level!
payitforward
RealGM

Post#637 » by payitforward » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:56 pm

At the risk of going on excessively, one more thing. This --
DCZards wrote:...a problem that I assume was caused by what Tommy said. But I may be wrong about that. It may have been, as doc says, that it was Ted's reaction to the gang sign video that pissed Wallstar off.

Even if it was what Tommy said led to this, I think it's excessive to suggest that his words "caused" the problem.

Don't get me wrong; it was thoughtless of Tommy to express himself in that way -- not to have realized that it might cause a problem for John. Especially since there was no particular reason that he had to say it.

But, absent the brouhaha about the gang signs, & -- even more -- absent what must be some latent anxiety John feels about his return, I doubt the words would have led to anything much.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#638 » by Ruzious » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:56 pm

payitforward wrote:
DCZards wrote:

Well, that's an extreme way that I put it! -- but, even in this case, it does't mean Ted *caused* the problem, or at least I didn't mean that! What I meant was that, as leader of the whole joint, I would expect Ted to have an active understanding of his key people & be ahead of the game in making sure "we" are all thoughtful in how we express ourselves.

For sure that includes his own expressions. Thus, however he reacted internally to Wall's gang signs, he should have talked with John privately, immediately, to let him know what kind of problem this created for the Wizards, & that he was going to have to express something about it in an "official" way, i.e. publicly.

That said, none of us can be smart enough or rational enough or have enough self-knowledge that we handle problems perfectly every time.

The other thing I say above, which is a little different, is that once the problem existed, "the single best way for him (Ted) to solve it" is to take responsibility for it. To say, if you will, a version of what your post describes me as saying.

But, this is leadership strategy, not an indictment of Ted. If the guy at the top says "it was all my fault," other people learn that it's okay to have made a mistake & cop to it. Turn it into, as they say, "a teachable moment."

In fairness, it's a lot easier for me to sit here at my desk & "understand" this situation than it is for people who are actually in it to step coolly outside of their emotions & perform at A+ level!

If I'm not mistaken they did talk to him, and John publicly issued an apology. At that point, it should have been over. But up came the rumor that Houston likely fed to Shams, and then... Shepard's true but completely unnecessary comment that this is Beal's team. https://www.thescore.com/nba/news/2006340
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
DCZards
General Manager

Post#639 » by DCZards » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:09 pm

payitforward wrote:At the risk of going on excessively, one more thing. This --
DCZards wrote:...a problem that I assume was caused by what Tommy said. But I may be wrong about that. It may have been, as doc says, that it was Ted's reaction to the gang sign video that pissed Wallstar off.

Even if it was what Tommy said led to this, I think it's excessive to suggest that his words "caused" the problem.

Don't get me wrong; it was thoughtless of Tommy to express himself in that way -- not to have realized that it might cause a problem for John. Especially since there was no particular reason that he had to say it.

But, absent the brouhaha about the gang signs, & -- even more -- absent what must be some latent anxiety John feels about his return, I doubt the words would have led to anything much.

I don't doubt that the gang signs brouhaha and Wall's anxiety/eagerness regarding playing after being out two years fed the controversy around Tommy's marks.

As far as Ted talking to Wall immediately and privately about the gang signs issue, I'm fairly certain that's exactly what happened, especially given what we hear about the close relationship between the two men.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#640 » by payitforward » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:23 pm

I guess that would leave me wondering why Wall's sudden & firm "I want a trade." But, of course, we'll never be able to see inside this, so....

Meanwhile, as we have both written, do not trade John Wall; just wait.

Return to Washington Wizards