The follow-up: 9 ways to fix the Wizards

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Re: The follow-up: 9 ways to fix the Wizards 

Post#41 » by payitforward » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:02 am

Little bit more on this, nate.

1. If we re-signed Napier, I wouldn't feel the need for that Jerian Grant-type 3d pg. Cheap, yes, but a dead-end player. I'd rather have one of the draft-class guards we've seen projected in R2 (Flynn, Alexander, Hinton, Mays, 1/2 others). Maybe even if we don't re-sign Napier, given Brown can log minutes behind Wall. Buy a pick.

2. I don't think there's any chance whatever of Admiral Schofield becoming a passable NBA player. Ok w/ me if we waive him & eat the salary.

3. If we could get a R2 pick for Wagner or Robinson... jump at it!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Post#42 » by dlts20 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 1:25 pm

Am I the only MDA fan, especially for a team like ours? His unorthodox methods is maybe the only thing that could max out this roster. I also would love to see what he can do with Beal but especially wall. Clips and Philly look like they may choose lue and doc. I would boot Brooks right now and get MDA but I know that will never happen
payitforward
RealGM

Post#43 » by payitforward » Thu Oct 1, 2020 1:40 pm

Well, for sure, I was a big MDA fan back in the day. Nice to be reminded of it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3,4-Methylenedioxyamphetamine
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,301

Post#44 » by nate33 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 2:52 pm

dlts20 wrote:Am I the only MDA fan, especially for a team like ours? His unorthodox methods is maybe the only thing that could max out this roster. I also would love to see what he can do with Beal but especially wall. Clips and Philly look like they may choose lue and doc. I would boot Brooks right now and get MDA but I know that will never happen

Yes. D'Antoni is a very good coach. He is an innovator and a guy lots of other coaches steal plays from. He's also an underrated defensive coach.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#45 » by Ruzious » Thu Oct 1, 2020 3:17 pm

payitforward wrote:Well, for sure, I was a big MDA fan back in the day. Nice to be reminded of it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3,4-Methylenedioxyamphetamine

Not to mention, that would be a great Scrabble word - or Ruzzle word (no, that's not named after me).

Mike D is a great regular season coach, and for the Wiz - that appears to be the only battle.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM

Post#46 » by payitforward » Thu Oct 1, 2020 8:42 pm

Now that the Athletic article has drifted into the past...
Now that the authors' follow-ups have proved underwhelming...
Now what?

Does it not seem that there ought to be one extremely clever -- but also relatively practical -- idea that no one has quite thought of yet?

An idea that would both clarify & accelerate the growth of the Wizards' quasi-rebuilding process?

Perhaps a move with the simplicity of, say, "sign Christian Wood."

Does it not seem, moreover, that this group -- this very group right here which for years has poured its attention into the unendingly leaky vessel of this franchise that seems damned until eternity! -- should be the source of that idea?

I say that it does! & now I call on you to come up with it.

I have spoken. Now it is on you. & me, of course. But, especially on you!

So, let's have it. What is it? Who is it? How is it to be done? The floor is open --
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#47 » by Ruzious » Thu Oct 1, 2020 8:51 pm

payitforward wrote:Now that the Athletic article has drifted into the past...
Now that the authors' follow-ups have proved underwhelming...
Now what?

Does it not seem that there ought to be one extremely clever -- but also relatively practical -- idea that no one has quite thought of yet?

An idea that would both clarify & accelerate the growth of the Wizards' quasi-rebuilding process?

Perhaps a move with the simplicity of, say, "sign Christian Wood."

Does it not seem, moreover, that this group -- this very group right here which for years has poured its attention into the unendingly leaky vessel of this franchise that seems damned until eternity! -- should be the source of that idea?

I say that it does! & now I call on you to come up with it.

I have spoken. Now it is on you. & me, of course. But, especially on you!

So, let's have it. What is it? Who is it? How is it to be done? The floor is open --

Wood could... be one of the highest paid free agents this offseason. So foolish that apparently no team was willing to give him a long-term contract when they could have signed him for barely over the minimum.

Didn't Paul Simon write a song about this thread topic? "There must be 9 ways to build the Wizards. Just make a good pick Rick, don't need to be coy Roy, make a trade plan Stan. Just set your Ian free." Remember?

And that other song - "99 second rounders, and we can't start one". Pretty sure it went that way.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM

Post#48 » by payitforward » Thu Oct 1, 2020 9:44 pm

Wood is an amazing story, incomprehensible really. Except that he must have been terrible on the non-basketball interview, etc. stuff. Whatever it was, he kept at it; give him a lot of credit.

Compare to Chris McCullough.

Return to Washington Wizards