ImageImageImageImageImage

Deni Avdija

Moderators: montestewart, nate33, LyricalRico

Do you like this pick?

Yes
85
73%
No
19
16%
Don't care
12
10%
 
Total votes: 116

Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 6,914
And1: 2,923
Joined: Mar 24, 2010
       

Re: Deni Avdija 

Post#1021 » by Zonkerbl » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:12 pm

Deni was playing good defense at the beginning of the year, but lately he's been letting the refs get into his head, and to be honest for fouls that are legit. Don't get angry at genuine fouls, don't get angry at 50/50 calls. Playing defense angry is an excellent way to get a bunch of fouls called on you in a row. Keep your mind in the moment. Be a goldfish.

Actually would like coach wes to call everybody over to the sidelines periodically just to take some deep breaths. Trez needs it, Beal needs it, Kuz needs it - the team needs to be mentally stronger and it's not a difficult fix.
CRAZY. STUPID. LOUD.
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 46,994
And1: 10,939
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: Deni Avdija 

Post#1022 » by Ruzious » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:32 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:Deni was playing good defense at the beginning of the year, but lately he's been letting the refs get into his head, and to be honest for fouls that are legit. Don't get angry at genuine fouls, don't get angry at 50/50 calls. Playing defense angry is an excellent way to get a bunch of fouls called on you in a row. Keep your mind in the moment. Be a goldfish.

Actually would like coach wes to call everybody over to the sidelines periodically just to take some deep breaths. Trez needs it, Beal needs it, Kuz needs it - the team needs to be mentally stronger and it's not a difficult fix.

Deni's real good at interior defense against players who attack the rim, but farther out on the perimeter, he's giving them more space, and because he always jumps straight up, he's giving shooters space to make jumpers. He's very good against players trying to penetrate. Overall - a fine defender. You're right - the team needs to be mentally stronger re complaining about calls. "Give me the strength to change what I can and accept what I can't change" - by some guy.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 6,914
And1: 2,923
Joined: Mar 24, 2010
       

Re: Deni Avdija 

Post#1023 » by Zonkerbl » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:39 pm

Early on in the season the team trusted the defensive system, were all invested in moving as a unit, and not getting down when someone on the other team makes a tough shot.

This team had someone score 40 against them and still won. Keep your head in the game at all times. Yes opposing coaches are professional and will scout you out.
CRAZY. STUPID. LOUD.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 6,914
And1: 2,923
Joined: Mar 24, 2010
       

Re: Deni Avdija 

Post#1024 » by Zonkerbl » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:52 pm

There's worse situations to be in then "the only way to crack this defense is to get them to foul on the perimeter"
CRAZY. STUPID. LOUD.
User avatar
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
Posts: 50,180
And1: 7,751
Joined: Aug 05, 2001
       

Re: Deni Avdija 

Post#1025 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:52 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:Deni was playing good defense at the beginning of the year, but lately he's been letting the refs get into his head, and to be honest for fouls that are legit. Don't get angry at genuine fouls, don't get angry at 50/50 calls. Playing defense angry is an excellent way to get a bunch of fouls called on you in a row. Keep your mind in the moment. Be a goldfish.

Actually would like coach wes to call everybody over to the sidelines periodically just to take some deep breaths. Trez needs it, Beal needs it, Kuz needs it - the team needs to be mentally stronger and it's not a difficult fix.


This is where you need a player on the court to police the other players in my opinion. Bradley Beal might not be playing due to the protocol but I think as the team’s so called best player, whenever he plays he needs to be a calming force and a leader.

I was kind a hoping Spencer Dinwiddie would fulfill this role. ZTB, really good posts.
After the Wizards GM really went and did it by having an imaginative, strong, draft day. I totally feel this as well;

AFM wrote:Don't sleep on these white bois. That's all I'm saying.
User avatar
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
Posts: 50,180
And1: 7,751
Joined: Aug 05, 2001
       

Re: Deni Avdija 

Post#1026 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:04 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:Early on in the season the team trusted the defensive system, were all invested in moving as a unit, and not getting down when someone on the other team makes a tough shot.

This team had someone score 40 against them and still won. Keep your head in the game at all times. Yes opposing coaches are professional and will scout you out.


Deni just turned 21 days ago. I am glad he plays with fiery passion and is demonstrative. The teammates might not respond favorably, however, to any perceived disrespect from a peer. What’s utmost is the coach addresses in private any behaviors not conducive to team cohesion.

I’m not even watching except for recaps.

I THINK what’s happening is the inevitable everyone trying to get theirs when minutes are sparse for the number of bodies competing to play. To expend energy on defense and to sacrifice individual stat for team MIGHT BE COUNTERPRODUCTIVE if the goals are ME, MINE, and I instead of us as a team.

As for the big picture I love this team so much more than the past Wizards. I remember when Antawn Jamison and Caron Butler were gonna play 40 minutes and take 1 billion shots, defense be damned. Were they better players? Yes…But at best we maintained mediocrity because it seemed like Brendan Haywood was the only guy that would play defense. And for whatever reason Eddie Jordan really liked Etan Thomas more. That team had a different kind of problem from this one.

This roster hardly has anyone 30 years old. Most of the players are in their prime or are approaching prime. Several of them are just getting started. And yet we’re at least mediocre already. It could be a lot worse
After the Wizards GM really went and did it by having an imaginative, strong, draft day. I totally feel this as well;

AFM wrote:Don't sleep on these white bois. That's all I'm saying.
User avatar
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
Posts: 50,180
And1: 7,751
Joined: Aug 05, 2001
       

Re: Deni Avdija 

Post#1027 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:05 pm

Deni is a decent young prospect.
After the Wizards GM really went and did it by having an imaginative, strong, draft day. I totally feel this as well;

AFM wrote:Don't sleep on these white bois. That's all I'm saying.
CntOutSmrtCrazy
Analyst
Posts: 3,226
And1: 1,200
Joined: Dec 08, 2011
Location: Formerly known as GilArenas88

Re: Deni Avdija 

Post#1028 » by CntOutSmrtCrazy » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:19 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
Zonkerbl wrote:Early on in the season the team trusted the defensive system, were all invested in moving as a unit, and not getting down when someone on the other team makes a tough shot.

This team had someone score 40 against them and still won. Keep your head in the game at all times. Yes opposing coaches are professional and will scout you out.


Deni just turned 21 days ago. I am glad he plays with fiery passion and is demonstrative. The teammates might not respond favorably, however, to any perceived disrespect from a peer. What’s utmost is the coach addresses in private any behaviors not conducive to team cohesion.

I’m not even watching except for recaps.
[b]
I THINK what’s happening is the inevitable everyone trying to get theirs when minutes are sparse for the number of bodies competing to play. To expend energy on defense and to sacrifice individual stat for team MIGHT BE COUNTERPRODUCTIVE if the goal are ME, MINE, and I instead of us as a team.

As for the big picture I love this team so much more than the past Wizards. I remember when Antawn Jamison and Caron Butler were gonna play 40 minutes and take 1 billion shots, defense be damned. Were they better players? Yes…But at best we maintained mediocrity because it seemed like Brendan Haywood was the only guy that would play defense. And for whatever reason Eddie Jordan really liked Etan Thomas more. That team had a different kind of problem from this one.

This roster hardly has anyone 30 years old. Most of the players are in their prime or are approaching prime. Several of them are just getting started. And yet we’re at least mediocre already. It could be a lot worse


Agreed. It just looked like they just stopped playing for each as a unit after the hot start, and some guys are worried about contracts (Neto, Harrell) or their place in the rotation. The defensive issues are part personnel, but there is a total lack of focus and want in that department.

The backcourt to me stands out in that area. Dinwiddie is painful in terms of awareness and effort. Neto seems like he tries, but he's just physically overmatched constantly from both a height and strength perspective. Holiday has been okay here and there as a pesky defender, but is often over aggressive for the sake of being over aggressive. Beal early on was okay, but he's constantly ball watching, whining to the refs, or plays gimmicky defense instead of smart defense, like the type of defense you see guys get low in their stance, looking aggressive, but not really paying attention to what's really going on, but yeah he stinks. Then we have KCP, who I think certain matchups has been fine, but he has other matchups were he just gets smoked, and he's our best guard defender. Deni is arguably the best backcourt defender though he has struggled a bit lately, albeit I feel like guys lately are just making a lot of tough shots on him.

Side bar. Speaking of Haywood and Etan, I remember the running joke was Brendan Haywood slept with Eddie Jordan's wife because of the flagrant favoritism EJ would give Etan over Haywood despite Haywood playing well.

Return to Washington Wizards