Total votes: 129

barelyawake
Head Coach
And1: 665

Re: Deni Avdija 

Post#1381 » by barelyawake » Fri Sep 9, 2022 11:23 pm

doclinkin wrote:
barelyawake wrote:
doclinkin wrote:One thing key: Deni getting a reputation as an elite defender will tend to reduce the tickytack fouls he picks up. If we can win then he will also tend to get the benefit of the doubt.

Yup. It’s all about the refs and reputation. Why Delon and Taj are so important. Reason why we could use another world class defender (not Taj, Delon, Davis or Deni, but another vet defensive leader) to allow us to play the way you need to in playoff situations. I’ll take reputation with the refs over stats and the eye test, in fourth-quarter playoff basketball.

I think we need a rebounder and positional defender who can deliver 6 hard fouls to the Giannis and Embiid types, but I am cognizant that we have no reason to think about playoff anything right now. Especially since I am in the tank tank for Wembanyama who looks to be a Unicorn among Unicorns.

Thoughts:
1) I would like another bulldog vet, but I don’t think there is space because we need to focus on the big trade at trade deadline.
2) The guy you want is AD or Siakam. So do I. Cheaper would have been Ibaka, but we lost on that. I like guys like Gasol, Steven Adams, the Lopez brothers, Tucker…
3) Plus we need to adjust for injuries if they happen.
4) But mainly, we need to play guys like Rui so we can trade them later for bigger pieces, not back of the bench players.

All things considered, a younger person might be better than the current crop of vets available to us. Gun to my head, Milsap. Get Milsap for the end of the bench.
tleikheen
Analyst
And1: 947

Post#1382 » by tleikheen » Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:18 am

Ive seen it over and over and over trading our good young players for old vets then watching the old guys get abused in the playoffs. It always happens while the good young players blossom for other teams. Both Rui and Deni have the look and skil to be very highend rotation players .They have lift ,length ,and light feet and both can get to the basket for buckets .Rui is better at converting but Deni gets to the basket easy at 21 yrs old and you have to think he will get better at making his layups.Ill take the guys that get to the basket than the old vets that hope for a foul.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,349

Post#1383 » by doclinkin » Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:52 am

barelyawake wrote:
doclinkin wrote:I think we need a rebounder and positional defender who can deliver 6 hard fouls to the Giannis and Embiid types, but I am cognizant that we have no reason to think about playoff anything right now. Especially since I am in the tank tank for Wembanyama who looks to be a Unicorn among Unicorns.

Thoughts:
1) I would like another bulldog vet, but I don’t think there is space because we need to focus on the big trade at trade deadline.
2) The guy you want is AD or Siakam.

No the guy I want is Tari Eason. But we drafted Johnny Davis instead.

Read on Twitter

I really don't want any re-tread used bigs (*). Especially key players whose cost in future assets we literally can't afford since all of our picks are conditional for the next few years.

(*Except Marc Gasol, but more as Big Man coach than a player).

But I would have taken Neemias Queta

(but we took Isaiah Todd)

Or Trevion WIlliams

(but we took Yannick Nzosa).
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,871

Post#1384 » by payitforward » Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:03 am

We have more or less the same list.
Thing is... there was no need to take Eason at 10: just trade down w/ Houston & take him at 17. Then either take someone at 26 or trade it to the Wolves for 29 plus 2 R2 picks (what the Rockets did...).

edit: as to Trevion, we didn't even need to pick him! Just sign him undrafted....
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#1385 » by doclinkin » Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:21 pm

just to reset the topic:

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,321

Post#1386 » by nate33 » Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:51 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:Wait was bball phenom Jan Vesely on that czech team?

Yes. Not only did he wreck the franchise with his horrible play a decade ago. He is following up by trying to injure our best young player.
Dolevi
Senior
And1: 402

Post#1387 » by Dolevi » Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:44 pm

doclinkin wrote:just to reset the topic:

Should have chosen soccer instead
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#1388 » by doclinkin » Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:01 pm

Dolevi wrote:

It has long been my contention that the players who grew up playing soccer as their first love end up the best defenders in basketball. Their understanding of footwork, angles, team defense, cutting off lanes, timing, and predicting what the opponent is going to do, is better than players who grew up trying to dribble through a crowd and showboat and freestyle and who think that defense is all about blocks and steals alone. Or getting out of the way to not be posterized.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,155

Post#1389 » by AFM » Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:08 am

doclinkin wrote:
Dolevi wrote:

It has long been my contention that the players who grew up playing soccer as their first love end up the best defenders in basketball. Their understanding of footwork, angles, team defense, cutting off lanes, timing, and predicting what the opponent is going to do, is better than players who grew up trying to dribble through a crowd and showboat and freestyle and who think that defense is all about blocks and steals alone. Or getting out of the way to not be posterized.

There's some truth to this...remember Nene? He claimed his awesome offensive footwork was due to playing soccer.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#1390 » by doclinkin » Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:58 am

AFM wrote:
doclinkin wrote:
Dolevi wrote:Should have chosen soccer instead

There's some truth to this...remember Nene? He claimed his awesome offensive footwork was due to playing soccer.

Hakeem Olajuwon was the one who made me think of it initially. He credited his footwork and defense to playing soccer and team handball as a kid, didn't know about basketball until age 15.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#1391 » by Dat2U » Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:18 pm

barelyawake wrote:
doclinkin wrote:
barelyawake wrote:Yup. It’s all about the refs and reputation. Why Delon and Taj are so important. Reason why we could use another world class defender (not Taj, Delon, Davis or Deni, but another vet defensive leader) to allow us to play the way you need to in playoff situations. I’ll take reputation with the refs over stats and the eye test, in fourth-quarter playoff basketball.

I think we need a rebounder and positional defender who can deliver 6 hard fouls to the Giannis and Embiid types, but I am cognizant that we have no reason to think about playoff anything right now. Especially since I am in the tank tank for Wembanyama who looks to be a Unicorn among Unicorns.

Thoughts:
2) The guy you want is AD or Siakam. So do I. Cheaper would have been Ibaka, but we lost on that. I like guys like Gasol, Steven Adams, the Lopez brothers, Tucker…
4) But mainly, we need to play guys like Rui so we can trade them later for bigger pieces, not back of the bench players.

All things considered, a younger person might be better than the current crop of vets available to us. Gun to my head, Milsap. Get Milsap for the end of the bench.

This is a 35 win team as currently constructed so guys like Millsap, Adams, the Lopez brothers, Ibaka or Gasol don't move the needle.

Find away to Dump Kuz & Hachimura for an upgrade at PF and we can start to look like an 8 to 10 seed.

Upgrade the starting PG position from Morris as well and winning a series in the playoffs becomes plausible... that's where adding some savvy vets actually becomes useful
barelyawake
Head Coach

Post#1392 » by barelyawake » Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:27 pm

Dat2U wrote:
barelyawake wrote:
doclinkin wrote:

Thoughts:

This is a 35 win team as currently constructed so guys like Millsap, Adams, the Lopez brothers, Ibaka or Gasol don't move the needle.

Find away to Dump Kuz & Hachimura for an upgrade at PF and we can start to look like an 8 to 10 seed.

Upgrade the starting PG position from Morris as well and winning a series in the playoffs becomes plausible... that's where adding some savvy vets actually becomes useful

For reference, this post was after a concert (drinks and you know edibles) and I thought I was responding to a “just one more guy” post. The premise being we HAVE to add one more guy. If we HAVE to add a guy, then the above post…

Of course, I agree with most of what you posted. 35 wins, if healthy, is extremely low though. We are better than you think.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1393 » by payitforward » Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:47 pm

barelyawake wrote:
Dat2U wrote:...This is a 35 win team as currently constructed ...

...35 wins, if healthy, is extremely low though. We are better than you think.

What would make you say so?

We closed the season 7-10 last year with Porzingis &, if you recollect, very strong play from Satoransky.

Sato is gone. So are KCP & Ish.
But, we've added Morris, Barton & Wright. Overall, I'm confident that's a net gain.

How much of a gain I can't say -- & recollect that our overall record included a 10-3 start which was fueled by Dinwiddie & by Montrezl Harrell, who was responsible for a number of wins all on his own. & is gone.

OTOH, KP played well. But KP has averaged 1550 minutes the last several years. You did say "if healthy," however. To be sure we'll be better if KP plays 2400 minutes than if he's injured.

But... he's never done that in 8 years. So, it's a significant stretch to assume he'll do it now. Hope so of course!

A better record will also depend on Brad's returning to his form of the previous year. Something to hope for.

In fact, it's really only "hope" that would allow us to predict improvement.

So, no, I don't think 35 wins is a low prediction. It's certainly not "extremely low." I.e. if you're saying we are a .500 team... that's a big stretch -- even if Brad returns to his previous form & KP is healthy. Hard for me to imagine that good a season.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
barelyawake
Head Coach

Post#1394 » by barelyawake » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:10 am

What would make me say so?

Basketball reasons.

Extensive analysis.

No seriously, I’ve written a book now explaining my side about why. Don’t make me do it again. Short list:

Best KP year of his career; Beal back to highs; Deni breakout; Rui contract year; better team distribution than any wizard team ever, meaning better shots taken; better defense than advertised (Davis, Gil, Delon, Taj, Gafford, KP, Deni, Kisp), perhaps one of best Wiz team defense ever; best bench in Wiz history; stable leadership; best GM in Wiz history to get us pieces along the way and especially at trade deadline, etc… In a word, unity…

But, again, that’s if healthy and things play out the way I expect. Still have to battle the refs, Vegas, self-doubt, poor use of talent and injury.
badinage
Bench Warmer
And1: 884

Post#1395 » by badinage » Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:57 pm

I’m feeling this too. Thanks for articulating it. I’m excited. Hopeful.

I don’t go in for realpolitik, especially not at this point in the off-season. Mid-season, maybe ;)
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#1396 » by doclinkin » Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:59 pm

barelyawake wrote:What would make me say so?

Basketball reasons.

Extensive analysis.

No seriously, I’ve written a book now explaining my side about why. Don’t make me do it again. Short list:

Best KP year of his career; Beal back to highs; Deni breakout; Rui contract year; better team distribution than any wizard team ever, meaning better shots taken; better defense than advertised (Davis, Gil, Delon, Taj, Gafford, KP, Deni, Kisp), perhaps one of best Wiz team defense ever; best bench in Wiz history; stable leadership; best GM in Wiz history to get us pieces along the way and especially at trade deadline, etc… In a word, unity…

But, again, that’s if healthy and things play out the way I expect. Still have to battle the refs, Vegas, self-doubt, poor use of talent and injury.

Nevermind my man PIF. He likes to think of himself as the voice of reason, and yet remains a Wizards fan. Clear evidence of disordered thinking. There's nothing rational at all about supporting this team, unless you truly enjoy misery or get something out of it other than the expectation of vicarious feelings of success at others' accomplishments. I think mostly he likes to complain and this team gives him the most opportunity to do so.

In this case his most profound insight is: "You can't know the future, but history says all things eventually die. Ergo: Hope is folly. Have a nice day!"
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1397 » by payitforward » Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:54 pm

barelyawake wrote:What would make me say so?

...Short list:

Actually... what you write makes perfect sense. If...

1. Porzingis is healthy & plays at the level he played for us last year,
2. Beal returns to the level of his previous few seasons before last year,
3. Morris, Barton, Wright & Gibson play at career-average levels overall,
4. Deni continues to improve at the pace of last year's development,
5. Kispert plays as well as, & hopefully better than, he did last year,
6. Rui brings his FT% & rebounding levels back to his rookie levels (while continuing to shoot the way he did last year)...

...then, you bet, we could have quite a good year.

Thus, because the above list is more or less your premise, I can't disagree with you. Moreover, I'm quite hopeful about numbers 3, 4 & 5 on that list.

It's #s 1 & 2 that I'm worried about. & #6 is simply something that hasn't happened yet; we can hope it does!
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#1398 » by doclinkin » Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:21 pm

Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#1399 » by Dark Faze » Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:11 pm

tleikheen wrote:Ive seen it over and over and over trading our good young players for old vets then watching the old guys get abused in the playoffs. It always happens while the good young players blossom for other teams. Both Rui and Deni have the look and skil to be very highend rotation players .They have lift ,length ,and light feet and both can get to the basket for buckets .Rui is better at converting but Deni gets to the basket easy at 21 yrs old and you have to think he will get better at making his layups.Ill take the guys that get to the basket than the old vets that hope for a foul.

Define good and young. Our mostly miserable draft picks have rarely, if ever, gone on to do anything of note elsewhere. You'd need to go back to pre-2000 to Sheed and Richard Hamilton really. Or the 2009 disaster draft, where *maybe* we would have drafted Steph had we kept the pick.

Rui isn't any good right now. Don't think he'd get an MLE contract based on how he's played the last few years. So unless he has a dramatic come up I'm expecting him to be gone.

Deni has potential, but this is a big year for him. In particular he has to shoot the 3 at something approaching league average level. If he can do that we're good to go and have a long term rotation guy. Without it, the future is murky.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#1400 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:31 pm

doclinkin wrote:
AFM wrote:
doclinkin wrote:

Hakeem Olajuwon was the one who made me think of it initially. He credited his footwork and defense to playing soccer and team handball as a kid, didn't know about basketball until age 15.
doclinkin, per usual you're on point!

Dirk Nowitzki was also good at handball and soccer. (In fact, Dirk's father was a professional handball player!)

https://www.encyclopedia.com/journals/culture-magazines/nowitzki-dirk

Nowitzki was raised in Wurzburg, a small city in Bavaria, where his family had a house painting business. His only sibling, older sister Silke, also became a professional basketball player. Because of his mother's activeness in the sport and the fact that his sister played the game from an early age, the young Nowitzki thought basketball was a sport for girls. As a child, he instead played soccer, tennis, and team handball.
Bye bye Beal.

Return to Washington Wizards