ImageImageImageImageImage

Shams: Wall wants to be traded

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,883

Re: Shams: Wall wants to be traded 

Post#201 » by Wizardspride » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:45 pm

DCZards wrote:Wall staying healthy and playing well upon his return is key to keeping Beal around and happy. From what I've seen and read, Wall's return--and he and Beal teaming up to form a formidable backcourt--is the primary thing that has given BB hope for any short-term success for the Zards as far as Ws & Ls are concerned.

If Wall is traded for unproven young players or draft picks (or if he doesn't play well when he returns), it will only expedite Beal's desire to go somewhere where he can win sooner rather than later.

:nod:
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,387

Post#202 » by NatP4 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:21 pm

Are we actually buying all this “Wall has become a good 3pt shooter and learned to play off ball while rehabbing”?

I feel like I’ve heard those exact quotes on 15 different occasions during Walls career. I’m fully expecting him to be a net negative player when he returns.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,541

Post#203 » by nate33 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:55 pm

NatP4 wrote:Are we actually buying all this “Wall has become a good 3pt shooter and learned to play off ball while rehabbing”?

I feel like I’ve heard those exact quotes on 15 different occasions during Walls career. I’m fully expecting him to be a net negative player when he returns.

I understand your skepticism. I'm not buying that Wall will suddenly become a good off-ball player. I think he'll improve his catch-and-shoot some, but I seriously doubt he'll make aggressive backdoor cuts or suppress his instinct to pound the ball when he has it.

That said, I do think he will be better than in the first 25 games of 2018-19 when he was playing on one leg. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect him to look similar to he looked during the playoffs of 2018. I've seen enough of him in video to be pretty confident that most of his burst is back. And if he is no longer in agony from the bone spurs, he'll hopefully become a more energetic defender.

If nothing else, he'll still be really good with the ball in his hands, but perhaps unable to effectively share primary ball handling duties with Beal in a synergetic manner. But in that scenario, Brooks can stagger Wall and Beal so that they only share the court for about 20 minutes a game. And when they play together, they can at least take turns as primary ball handler and give each other rest to play defense.

Finally, Wall is going to be infinitely better than Isaiah Thomas on defense. Wall may have lapses of energy defensively, but he's still big and tall and can switch 1 through 3 effectively and rebound from the guard position.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,955

Post#204 » by Frichuela » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:35 pm

nate33 wrote:
NatP4 wrote:Are we actually buying all this “Wall has become a good 3pt shooter and learned to play off ball while rehabbing”?

I understand your skepticism. I'm not buying that Wall will suddenly become a good off-ball player. I think he'll improve his catch-and-shoot some, but I seriously doubt he'll make aggressive backdoor cuts or suppress his instinct to pound the ball when he has it.

That said, I do think he will be better than in the first 25 games of 2018-19 when he was playing on one leg. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect him to look similar to he looked during the playoffs of 2018. I've seen enough of him in video to be pretty confident that most of his burst is back. And if he is no longer in agony from the bone spurs, he'll hopefully become a more energetic defender.

If nothing else, he'll still be really good with the ball in his hands, but perhaps unable to effectively share primary ball handling duties with Beal in a synergetic manner. But in that scenario, Brooks can stagger Wall and Beal so that they only share the court for about 20 minutes a game. And when they play together, they can at least take turns as primary ball handler and give each other rest to play defense.

Finally, Wall is going to be infinitely better than Isaiah Thomas on defense. Wall may have lapses of energy defensively, but he's still big and tall and can switch 1 through 3 effectively and rebound from the guard position.

This. Defense is the key to me. If he can get back to being a plus defender, that protects us from dribble drive penetration, is a big plus.

Other than that, I understand NatP4's skepticism...and share his concerns about Wall's ball pounding tendencies on offense. Having said this, I am confident his C&S from 3 has improved, all that hard work in the gym for the past year has to pay off!
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,955

Post#205 » by Frichuela » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:35 pm

In case not seen yet...

Read on Twitter
?s=21
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,440

Post#206 » by nuposse04 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:42 pm

nate33 wrote:

He's probably going to be a worse shooter after an Achilles, maybe not by a huge margin in his first season back.

He'll probably be about what he has been defensively for the last two years, which is just bad. While his bone spurs may have resolved, his Achilles injury will be more than enough to deplete his athletic ability. He has a good chance of being the worst contract in the nba by year 3 of his super max.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,584

Post#207 » by pcbothwel » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:44 pm

Frichuela wrote:In case not seen yet...

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Easy translation to me:
I worked my ass off and stayed patient in order to come back and make a run with Brad. Tommy made some comments that seemed to be dismissive of my standing with the team, which pissed me off. It's possible that the best thing for me in latter 3rd of my career is to move on to another situation, but who knows. So I'm excited to get the season started and let the chips fall where they may.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,071

Post#208 » by queridiculo » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:53 pm

What does he say in his first response?

"No comment, I did" or "No comment, I didn't".

Not really audible and it sounds almost like Wall has a slip of the tongue there.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,642

Post#209 » by pancakes3 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:59 pm

i was all on board with Wall being a better set shooter until i saw his ugly a$$ form in an IG post. same low release and same inexplicable hitch before release. i know i'm being a hypocrite bc i said in the Deni thread that it's more important to be consistent than to be textbook but whatevs
Bullets -> Wizards
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,387

Post#210 » by NatP4 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:03 pm

queridiculo wrote:What does he say in his first response?

Not really audible and it sounds almost like Wall has a slip of the tongue there.

To me it sounded like he said “I didn’t”
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,019

Post#211 » by Dark Faze » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:03 pm

I don’t have much hope for improved off ball movement, but I do think we could see many more threes and improved defensive effort. And I think John is a good enough 3pt shooter to make them statistically a plus shot even if it’s a bit under the league average. Those two things would result in a more efficient and helpful player I think.

I also think there’s the possibility that both John and Brad both could be humbled into reducing their shooting significantly due to the scoring we surround them with. I think with the roster we have there’s not a lot of excuses for either of them to be taking a ton of shots.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#212 » by Ruzious » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:19 pm

Dark Faze wrote:

I don’t have much hope for improved off ball movement, but I do think we could see many more threes and improved defensive effort. And I think John is a good enough 3pt shooter to make them statistically a plus shot even if it’s a bit under the league average. Those two things would result in a more efficient and helpful player I think.

I also think there’s the possibility that both John and Brad both could be humbled into reducing their shooting significantly due to the scoring we surround them with. I think with the roster we have there’s not a lot of excuses for either of them to be taking a ton of shots.

He's going to have to play some off-ball, so he's going to have to be better at that than he used to be. Brad's earned the right to have the ball in his hands a lot more than he did when he played with John. By now, everyone's aware that Brad's the #1 guy on offense. If John can't adjust to that, there's going to have to be a trade.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,019

Post#213 » by Dark Faze » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:59 pm

There may be an argument to be made that starting Bertans could result in forcing better habits from John and Brad. When you have a sniper who hunts threes, a 5 that can shoot at a high percentage... that’s more energy to be used toward setting other guys up and working harder on defense.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,071

Post#214 » by queridiculo » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:10 pm

Dark Faze wrote:There may be an argument to be made that starting Bertans could result in forcing better habits from John and Brad. When you have a sniper who hunts threes, a 5 that can shoot at a high percentage... that’s more energy to be used toward setting other guys up and working harder on defense.

Fat chance, but I'd actually like to see a Wall/Beal/Bertans/Hachimura/Bryant lineup.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,541

Post#215 » by nate33 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:48 pm

queridiculo wrote:
Dark Faze wrote:There may be an argument to be made that starting Bertans could result in forcing better habits from John and Brad. When you have a sniper who hunts threes, a 5 that can shoot at a high percentage... that’s more energy to be used toward setting other guys up and working harder on defense.

Fat chance, but I'd actually like to see a Wall/Beal/Bertans/Hachimura/Bryant lineup.

I think we will definitely see that lineup. It might even be our crunch time lineup. I don't know if we will start that way though. I think Bertans will continue to play 26-30 minutes a game off the bench.
Wiz99
Analyst
And1: 161

Post#216 » by Wiz99 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:07 am

I haven’t been on this board in awhile but the Wall situation brings me back.

My position if I’m Shep is simple...

$&;! Mr. Wall. You’re staying. Not because Wall makes us contenders. We’re going to be middling with him or without him. There’s no scenario where we net something that makes us better, given Wall’s contract, injury history and well-demonstrated lacking as a team leader. And to move him we’d have to send picks.

Let’s just put the stick between our teeth, bite down hard, and will ourselves through the suckitude of the remainder of Wall’s salary, then trade him to someone looking for cap relief. That’s honestly our best option.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#217 » by Ruzious » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:55 am

One thing to keep in mind if things don't go well with John, Bobby Marks of ESPN seems to think there's the possibility of the NBA implementing another amnesty option to help teams dump a bad contract.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
AZNKidd
Sophomore
And1: 89

Post#218 » by AZNKidd » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:32 pm

NatP4 wrote:

One thing for sure is that he isn't happy/hyped about playing for the Wizards this season, otherwise he'd say, "No I did not request a trade." To me it can be either two things: he voiced displeasure with Shep about a realigned focus on Beal and him playing second fiddle, but didn't make an outright trade request, and it somehow traveled through the grapevine as a trade request; or he demanded a trade request and management told him to keep a lid so that both parties (Wall and Wizards) can retain some leverage in getting a trade done. In either scenario, it's not a good situation.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,584

Post#219 » by pcbothwel » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:37 pm

NatP4 wrote:

Yup.... Slip is CLEARY from his agent...lol
I.E.
Agent: If you get asked about requesting a trade, say "No Comment"
Wall: Well, I didnt request a trade...
Agent: Yeah, but saying no comment gives us leverage moving forward

So Wall was honest when he said "I didn't", but then quickly remembered what he is "supposed" to say in order to keep the peace but also maintain leverage.
So John clearly just let out that he probably wasnt happy about the comments/Westbrook talk, but he didnt request a trade.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,945

Post#220 » by tontoz » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:43 pm

I think Bertans is better at the 3, especially defensively. If it was my decision i would start him at the 3.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD

Return to Washington Wizards