Wizards sign Robin Lopez

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,865

Re: Wizards sign Robin Lopez 

Post#121 » by Ruzious » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:44 pm

Sideshow Robin does have some similarities with Anderson Varejao. :)
"Look, you never know when you may need to borrow a cup of sugar, maybe some milk or a handgun" - Dan C. from Texas
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 1,485

Post#122 » by Kanyewest » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:14 pm

Robin Lopez is now the starting center!!!!!

Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 1,485

Post#123 » by Kanyewest » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:12 am

5-6 from the field so far!
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 2,638

Post#124 » by tontoz » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:57 am

11/11 in 26 minutes nice job.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
long suffrin' boulez fan
Head Coach
And1: 2,159

Post#125 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:31 am

tontoz wrote:11/11 in 26 minutes nice job.

And didn’t have to leave the floor once... his feet or his knuckles.
In Rizzo we trust
closg00
RealGM
And1: 2,734

Post#126 » by closg00 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:37 pm

He is a bit of a dufus out-there and I would still prefer an athletic beast-man at C, but he got the job done
The Wizards finally get a draft steal in Deni Avdija
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#127 » by Ruzious » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:49 pm

closg00 wrote:He is a bit of a dufus out-there and I would still prefer an athletic beast-man at C, but he got the job done

We probably can't expect him to have the game of his life every game. :nod:

But gotta give him props for the things that don't show up on the regular box scores. He set up several 3 pointers for teammates with perfect picks. He unselfishly tipped several rebounds to teammates - he might have gotten credit for some of them - but probably not for all of them. He did a very fine job on Ayton in the halfcourt, and Phoenix was only able to capitalize once or twice on him in transition when I was watching. He worked within his limitations - helping out on D but not risking fouls when he had no chance to stop the player driving to the basket. He used his tremendous size and length to advantage as much as possible. He even won a jump ball with Ayton - when Ayton jumped too quickly.
"Look, you never know when you may need to borrow a cup of sugar, maybe some milk or a handgun" - Dan C. from Texas
TGW
RealGM
And1: 3,682

Post#128 » by TGW » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:02 pm

I will say there is one advantage to him being a goofy plodder is that he doesn't make the mistakes that come from playing "fast" — you know the ones that Bryant consistently made because he was always trying to play uptempo. He also forces the team to get into an offensive set as opposed to going into "fast" mode. They had 29 assists and only 7 TOs the entire game. I'll take that every game.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 10,669

Post#129 » by nate33 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:51 pm

TGW wrote:I will say there is one advantage to him being a goofy plodder is that he doesn't make the mistakes that come from playing "fast" — you know the ones that Bryant consistently made because he was always trying to play uptempo. He also forces the team to get into an offensive set as opposed to going into "fast" mode. They had 29 assists and only 7 TOs the entire game. I'll take that every game.

Excellent point.

Lopez makes us go slower, and we play better when we play slow:

So, naturally, Brooks implements a system that pushes the fastest pace possible. We lead the league in pace at 105.8.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 2,412

Post#130 » by DCZards » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:12 am

Ruzious wrote:
closg00 wrote:He is a bit of a dufus out-there and I would still prefer an athletic beast-man at C, but he got the job done

We probably can't expect him to have the game of his life every game. :nod:

But gotta give him props for the things that don't show up on the regular box scores. He set up several 3 pointers for teammates with perfect picks. He unselfishly tipped several rebounds to teammates - he might have gotten credit for some of them - but probably not for all of them. He did a very fine job on Ayton in the halfcourt, and Phoenix was only able to capitalize once or twice on him in transition when I was watching. He worked within his limitations - helping out on D but not risking fouls when he had no chance to stop the player driving to the basket. He used his tremendous size and length to advantage as much as possible. He even won a jump ball with Ayton - when Ayton jumped too quickly.

Lopez also totally backed his man under the basket on one play to allow Neto to get all the way to the basket for an easy floater.

He has a history of helping his team and teammates in ways that don’t always show up in the box score.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 4,816

Post#131 » by payitforward » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:29 am

DCZards wrote:Lopez ...has a history of helping his team and teammates in ways that don’t always show up in the box score.

They show up in the box score all right -- just not with his name attached to them.

What that means is you ought to find that his teammates do particularly well in lineups that have Robin on the floor.

& that can be checked of course.

But... I'd rather just bask in the memory of the glory that was his outing last night!
Remember -- if you don't like the post above: blame Doc not me.
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#132 » by Ruzious » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:52 am

payitforward wrote:
DCZards wrote:Lopez ...has a history of helping his team and teammates in ways that don’t always show up in the box score.

They show up in the box score all right -- just not with his name attached to them.

What that means is you ought to find that his teammates do particularly well in lineups that have Robin on the floor.

& that can be checked of course.

But... I'd rather just bask in the memory of the glory that was his outing last night!

Screen assists is probably the best stat to trace something like that. Here's an interesting article on it. https://www.forbes.com/sites/andybailey/2020/01/15/in-defense-of-the-screen-assist-in-the-nba/?sh=2445d8c01941

Return to Washington Wizards