ImageImageImageImageImage

2021 Draft thread. Woo! 15th pick here we come! Hoo. Ray.

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Re: 2021 Draft thread. Evan Mobley here we come! :) 

Post#1221 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:50 am

Any thoughts on Daishon Nix?
doclinkin wrote:
NatP4 wrote:I still do not see Neemius Queta mocked in the 1st round. I find that ridiculous. You can make the argument that he’s the best C in the entire draft.

19 points 13 rebounds 3 assists 3.6 blocks 1 steal per 40 minutes on 61% TS in his college career with an 8.4 BPM. Doesn’t turn 22 until after the draft. 7”5 wingspan. That’s not a 1st round pick????

There’s 4-5 prospects in every draft that draw some lazy Draymond Green comparisons, but Queta actually fits the bill.

I've been on his bandwagon since Ruz tugged my sleeve on him. I absolutely think he is the most ready NBA center from day one. The knock on him is injury risk, if he gets a big time trainer to help him with that then his production should outpace any nagging injury issues. That said I think he will measure well at the combine and in workouts and will start to climb into the 1st round.

Sent from my SM-T500 using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#1222 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:00 am

Mitchell is already 22. Some prospects are 19. Jalen Butler is 20.

I think Mitchell is a beast of a defensive player, but I cannot help but notice Daishon Nix just turned 18.
nate33 wrote:
NatP4 wrote:This is a good one with some really good NBA comparisons:

https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/2021_nba_mock_draft_first_round/s1__34581413

Interesting mock. I think he gets the order about right but I disagree with some of his comps.
Dat2U wrote:
NatP4 wrote:Sengun is the big X factor that I need to do some HW on, but right now, my top 10 is looking like this:

1. Jalen Suggs
2. Evan Mobley
3. Cade Cunningham
4. Josh Giddey
5. Jalen Green
6. Franz Wagner
7. Neemius Queta
8. Jonathan Kuminga
9. Jaden Springer
10. Jared Butler

I flip flop on the top 3 depending on the day lol.

I think Josh Giddey is 5. Jalen Green is 4.

I like Wagner but not quite enough to say he's the 6th best prospect.

I would almost put Davion Mitchell at 6 based I what I've seen so far but it's still early in my process.

I'd take Jared Butler over any other guard so far but the kid Sharife Cooper intrigues me just on the eye test alone. So does Isaiah Jackson as a rim runner.

Bye bye Beal.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#1223 » by Dat2U » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:21 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Any thoughts on Daishon Nix?
doclinkin wrote:
NatP4 wrote:I still do not see Neemius Queta mocked in the 1st round. I find that ridiculous. You can make the argument that he’s the best C in the entire draft.

19 points 13 rebounds 3 assists 3.6 blocks 1 steal per 40 minutes on 61% TS in his college career with an 8.4 BPM. Doesn’t turn 22 until after the draft. 7”5 wingspan. That’s not a 1st round pick????

There’s 4-5 prospects in every draft that draw some lazy Draymond Green comparisons, but Queta actually fits the bill.

I've been on his bandwagon since Ruz tugged my sleeve on him. I absolutely think he is the most ready NBA center from day one. The knock on him is injury risk, if he gets a big time trainer to help him with that then his production should outpace any nagging injury issues. That said I think he will measure well at the combine and in workouts and will start to climb into the 1st round.

I don't see it all with Daishen Nix. I'm hard pressed to consider him an NBA prospect at this moment. Can't shoot, can't defend, struggles to finish at the rim. Can be pressured into TOs. Yeah, you see the passing skill which is nice at his size and the ability to operate in the P&R but I don't think it makes up for the inability to score efficiently or defend. He needs to remake his body and find a jumper. He is literally years away from playing.

I have him as a 2nd round pick to undrafted. He likely needs at least a few years overseas or NBDL. Good thing for him in another 2 years he'll 21. I'd like to check in on him then.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,314

Post#1224 » by NatP4 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:44 pm

I was excited about Nix going into the year but he just isn’t a NBA caliber athlete. He looked so much more athletic in his high school footage. Combine that with absolutely no jumpshot or lateral quickness and right now, he just doesn’t look like a NBA prospect.
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#1225 » by Dat2U » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:16 pm

So I agree with the experts that it's a 5 player draft. It's a huge drop off in terms of developed skills after the top 5 though. Giddey replaces Kuminga in my top 5. It's a mess after that and trading down from the 6th pick on makes alot of sense.

Kuminga is pure upside play but expect nothing for at least 2 years.

Davion Mitchell is a little older but his elite athleticism, defense & playmaking give him a clear role for years to come. I'm positive Jared Butler will hit some big shots in his career and defend as well. Kispert shoots well enough to have a role. Wagner, Moody & Springer all look like solid off the ball role players if you don't ask them to do too much.

Not sure how I feel about Ziaire Williams. Toolsy but another project. Flashed some TMac type skills but every thing about his game is a work in progress and unfinished including his frame/weight.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,008

Post#1226 » by dckingsfan » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:36 pm

Dat2U wrote:So I agree with the experts that it's a 5 player draft. It's a huge drop off in terms of developed skills after the top 5 though. Giddey replaces Kuminga in my top 5. It's a mess after that and trading down from the 6th pick on makes alot of sense.

Kuminga is pure upside play but expect nothing for at least 2 years...

Goes for Evan Mobley too? Kind of a Beal problem if you know what I mean...
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#1227 » by Dat2U » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:40 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
Dat2U wrote:So I agree with the experts that it's a 5 player draft. It's a huge drop off in terms of developed skills after the top 5 though. Giddey replaces Kuminga in my top 5. It's a mess after that and trading down from the 6th pick on makes alot of sense.

But Evan can play right away in a rotation... at least as 20 minute backup and contribute. I don't think he would be a train wreck out there like Kuminga would be.
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#1228 » by Dat2U » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:48 pm

NatP4 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
NatP4 wrote:Yeah I compared him to Avery Bradley and Marcus Smart, with the upside being that he’s just 18. He let me down big time when he didn’t step up in the SEC/NCAA tournaments.

Keon Johnson (already 19!) has passed him in most mocks - seems like a better athlete. Springer's so young - I'd like to see what he measures at.

I don’t understand the Keon Johnson hype. He defends and gets to the free throw line, but does nothing else well. Mocks have him as high as 6th.

I put him in the “ranked highly coming out of high school but actually bad at basketball” group:

1. Ziaire Williams
2. Josh Christopher
3. Keon Johnson
4. BJ Boston
5. Caleb Love
6. Terrence Clarke
7. Sharife Cooper
8. Cam Thomas

I like Keon Johnson. I think he & Springer have low floors but Springer has a more NBA ready frame with a lower ceiling while Johnson has the explosiveness, wiggle & shot creation that Springer doesn't have.

Springer feels like a good bench player, possible fringe starter while Keon could develop into a solid starter in time.

Keon is a lottery pick. I think at worst he's another Nick Young but I see a more athletic Malik Beasley.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#1229 » by dckingsfan » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:00 pm

Dat2U wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:

But Evan can play right away in a rotation... at least as 20 minute backup and contribute. I don't think he would be a train wreck out there like Kuminga would be.

Agreed on your point. It would still be a Beal issue as he is 3 years away, IMO.
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#1230 » by Dat2U » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:09 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
Dat2U wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:Goes for Evan Mobley too? Kind of a Beal problem if you know what I mean...

Agreed on your point. It would still be a Beal issue as he is 3 years away, IMO.

Beal the GM is gonna want a vet instead of some rookie. He might sign off on Cade or even Suggs but outside of that, he'd probably like if we traded the pick for someone that complements him and Westbrook.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#1231 » by dckingsfan » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:13 pm

Dat2U wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:
Dat2U wrote:But Evan can play right away in a rotation... at least as 20 minute backup and contribute. I don't think he would be a train wreck out there like Kuminga would be.

Beal the GM is gonna want a vet instead of some rookie. He might sign off on Cade or even Suggs but outside of that, he'd probably like if we traded the pick for someone that complements him and Westbrook.

Okay then, fingers crossed for the first pick, Bryant coming back healthy and Gafford breaking out...
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,314

Post#1232 » by NatP4 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:44 pm

Tough to say which direction the wiz would be leaning. Seems like Deni and Rui are penciled in at the 3&4, they are committed to Westbrook and Beal at the 1&2 obviously. They just acquired Gafford and still have Bryant under contract.

If I had to guess, I bet they like Wagner or Barnes and are looking to replace the flotsam of off the bench wings in Bonga, Hutchison, Brown Jr, Robinson, and Mathews.

They might like Sengun though.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#1233 » by FAH1223 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:58 pm

For those of you who want to trade Beal to GSW for the MIN pick and Wiseman + Wiggins

Read on Twitter
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,359

Post#1234 » by doclinkin » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:20 pm

Dat2U wrote:
I flip flop on the top 3 depending on the day lol.

I think Josh Giddey is 5. Jalen Green is 4.

I like Wagner but not quite enough to say he's the 6th best prospect.

I would almost put Davion Mitchell at 6 based I what I've seen so far but it's still early in my process.

I'd take Jared Butler over any other guard so far but the kid Sharife Cooper intrigues me just on the eye test alone. So does Isaiah Jackson as a rim runner.

Right having 3 top picks is a good situation to have. Even if we bounce into the top 4 by lotto there is generally a good chance someone likes another guy.

Outside the top picks I myself want Davion Mitchell even more than Butler. Though primarily if I could get him on a trade down. (I want to steal Queta and future picks).

Davion has an NBA-ready role as a stronger better-passing Patrick Beverly. Defensive Bigs tend to struggle coming into the league but quick guards do a little better. And coming in to a team that already has 2 lead guards he will be able to attack with frenzy in the minutes he gets. Defense and passing will earn him PT while he works on his long range game. HIs mindset is as an alpha defender, a winner type who doesn't have to star to make an impact. That is a 10 year player in the league. A +/- champion who may not get the bonafides and props but is that much more affordable over his career because of it. In a league with combo guards all over, he can play on any team in the league as the on-ball pressure guy who can allow your high volume attackers to not have to kill themselves on D. He makes other players job easier on that end by stalling the opponent in transition and fighting through switches on the perimeter. This allows your Bigs to get up court before the ball, and stay at home in the P&R.

Jared Butler is smooth. Does all things well, but for whatever reason whenever I watched games or highlights Davion Mitchell was the one that popped and made everyone else look good.

I like the highlights, but looking at stats and some game footage: Sharife Cooper has a LOT of unlearning and maturing to do right now. He has a pretty game, but will need to extend his range, add weight and strength, and stop inefficiently gunning. He has a hell of a handle. Sweet passing. But thinks he is better than he has earned.

I'm late on Giddey. Still figuring out the NBL regarding transition to the NBA and in relation to Euroball for instance. LaMelo is a different case, he'd have been that player wherever he was. NBL allows for a little more showboating than the Euro league, so stat padding possibilities are not as suppressed as they are in Europe. But it does seem less disorganized and selfish than G-League play. Better defense than the G-League, though without the level of hacking and outright goaltending allowed in Europe. Still it is clear the kid is a prodigy. Young and seeing the game better than anyone he plays against. What's his competitive level? How does he do when he faces adversity or has an off night?
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#1235 » by Dat2U » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:36 pm

FAH1223 wrote:For those of you who want to trade Beal to GSW for the MIN pick and Wiseman + Wiggins

Read on Twitter

I was out on Wiseman before this and already thought the Warriors blew the pick.

Lopez/Len got 35 on the Warriors the other night. He is probably worst defensive C in the league.

That + the injury are alot to overcome. Especially when his timeline does not match Golden State's current timeline of wanting to compete.
RealGM

Post#1236 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:44 pm

Wiseman may be just another big man who got paid.
Bye bye Beal.
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#1237 » by Dat2U » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:47 pm

NatP4 wrote:Tough to say which direction the wiz would be leaning. Seems like Deni and Rui are penciled in at the 3&4, they are committed to Westbrook and Beal at the 1&2 obviously. They just acquired Gafford and still have Bryant under contract.

If I had to guess, I bet they like Wagner or Barnes and are looking to replace the flotsam of off the bench wings in Bonga, Hutchison, Brown Jr, Robinson, and Mathews.

They might like Sengun though.

Shepp's MO so far:

Ideal physical traits + untapped foreign market.

I think they would like Giddey alot - Shepp loved Sato, called TBJr a PG, so he's a fan of tall PGs. Brooks not so much but Brooks might not have much of say anymore. Not sure if Franz is athletic enough for Shepp as a wing. Kuminga would be more of the physical profile he would go for. Segun is undersized although he fits the type of C Shepp seems to go for.

Keon Johnson is the type of athlete he could go for if we're drafting around 9.
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#1238 » by Dat2U » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:59 pm

In not a fan of college flameouts but Jalen Johnson is a top 5 talent. He's a jumper away from being special but I'm not sure he's going to put in the work to be the two-way player he could be. Should easily be the best forward in the class based on physical tools and skills however he leaves me guessing as to what he might become. That said, I take over Scottie Barnes without hesitation. You want to take a big swing on an initiator at F, go with Johnson.

He's a guy where interviews mean everything. If he interviews/works out well then I'd consider him late lottery.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,325

Post#1239 » by nate33 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:57 pm

Dat2U wrote:In not a fan of college flameouts but Jalen Johnson is a top 5 talent. He's a jumper away from being special but I'm not sure he's going to put in the work to be the two-way player he could be. Should easily be the best forward in the class based on physical tools and skills however he leaves me guessing as to what he might become. That said, I take over Scottie Barnes without hesitation. You want to take a big swing on an initiator at F, go with Johnson.

He's a guy where interviews mean everything. If he interviews/works out well then I'd consider him late lottery.

I keep coming back to that rebounding number: 10.2 per 36 possessions. He is the only non-center pulling down double digit rebounds. Of course, much of that is due to a small sample size incorporating a 19 rebound game against Coppin State. But even if you ignore the Coppin State game, he is grabbing 8.9 boards per 36.
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,974

Post#1240 » by DCZards » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:37 pm

Dat2U wrote:In not a fan of college flameouts but Jalen Johnson is a top 5 talent. He's a jumper away from being special but I'm not sure he's going to put in the work to be the two-way player he could be. Should easily be the best forward in the class based on physical tools and skills however he leaves me guessing as to what he might become. That said, I take over Scottie Barnes without hesitation. You want to take a big swing on an initiator at F, go with Johnson.

Jalen Johnson’s stock has definitely nosedived...due primarily to non-basketball issues.

I get the vibe that he’s being criminally underrated. Most mock drafts I’ve seen have him going in the 20s. But at least one mock—Tankathon—has Johnson going to the Zards at 6.

I think you’re right that he’s the kind of home run swing you might want to take if you’re drafting in that 6-12 range.

Return to Washington Wizards