ImageImageImageImageImage

2021 Draft thread. Woo! 15th pick here we come! Hoo. Ray.

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: 2021 Draft thread. Evan Mobley here we come! :) 

Post#1661 » by Ruzious » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:43 am

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:Or how about this guy?

Vrenz Bleijenbergh

Pretty shot. He's like a rubberband man - the way he contorts his body on drives to the hoop. Looks like he's fun to watch - and probably fun to play against - not sure if he's strong enough to guard anybody.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#1662 » by prime1time » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:36 am

Kispert will be the steal of the draft. I thought he was just a shooter, boy was I wrong. His offensive game is so developed. He is plug and play from day 1. Ability to attack the hoop, finish with both hands, two dribble pull-ups and more all while staying under control. I want better wing defense, but I'm not passing on Kispert. In fact, I'd trade up for him. When you talk about lineup construction, having him on the floor with Bertans starts to give us major floor spacing. I'm fine with other players, but Kispert would be a homerun. As his game develops and he improves his ball handling, he'll be even tougher to guard. Defensively teams will go at him but his offensive ability outweighs that IMO. The fg% he puts up tells the real story about his offense. This is a guy who shot 6.5 3's a game at 44%, yet his fg% is almost 53%. On two-point fg's he shot a blistering 62.8% from the field. Teams are going to come in with the game plan of running him off the 3-point line, and he is going to destroy them. The Wizards need to trade up for Kispert.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 898

Post#1663 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:08 pm

prime1time wrote:
Kispert will be the steal of the draft. I thought he was just a shooter, boy was I wrong. His offensive game is so developed. He is plug and play from day 1. Ability to attack the hoop, finish with both hands, two dribble pull-ups and more all while staying under control. I want better wing defense, but I'm not passing on Kispert. In fact, I'd trade up for him. When you talk about lineup construction, having him on the floor with Bertans starts to give us major floor spacing. I'm fine with other players, but Kispert would be a homerun. As his game develops and he improves his ball handling, he'll be even tougher to guard. Defensively teams will go at him but his offensive ability outweighs that IMO. The fg% he puts up tells the real story about his offense. This is a guy who shot 6.5 3's a game at 44%, yet his fg% is almost 53%. On two-point fg's he shot a blistering 62.8% from the field. Teams are going to come in with the game plan of running him off the 3-point line, and he is going to destroy them. The Wizards need to trade up for Kispert.

Ok you've changed my mind. I won't be mad if they draft him. I wouldn't trade up, DRAFT ROOM has him going 21. But if they take him 15 I can live with that. Safe pick. Seems to have good competitiveness and confidence.

We know Tommy thinks highly of Few's coaching. And the way this team is constructed, we need a SF who can shoot, and someone who can contribute sooner than later, and him being a senior and a physically ready body helps. Probably also some benefit in his already having played with Hachimura being his teammate...

His shot from the 3 will spread for Brad and Russ to drive, open interior for Hachimura, and can allow Avdija maybe develop in a 6th man role where he can use his versatility.
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#1664 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:32 pm

Ruzious wrote:
SUPERBALLMAN wrote:Or how about this guy?

Vrenz Bleijenbergh

Pretty shot. He's like a rubberband man - the way he contorts his body on drives to the hoop. Looks like he's fun to watch - and probably fun to play against - not sure if he's strong enough to guard anybody.

Lacks strength but he is a SF with superior size for the position at 6-10.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#1665 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:35 pm

Ruzious wrote:
SUPERBALLMAN wrote:Listened to Chad Ford podcast today, pretty good one about underrated players in the draft....

https://player.fm/series/chad-fords-nba-big-board-nba-draft-podcast

Josh Primo anyone??

I liked his highlights - he passed the eye test, but his stats are very ordinary. Less than an assist per game from a guard is not good, and he doesn't score much. Invite him to Summer League is the best I can do.

Something to consider is he's I think the youngest player in the draft. On the pod they were saying if he went in next year's draft he'd be projected top 10, he most likely would be Gleague this year but it would be an upside pick....

Probably not appropriate for this team given immediate needs.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#1666 » by payitforward » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:54 pm

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
SUPERBALLMAN wrote:Josh Primo anyone??

I liked his highlights - he passed the eye test, but his stats are very ordinary. Less than an assist per game from a guard is not good, and he doesn't score much. Invite him to Summer League is the best I can do.

Something to consider is he's I think the youngest player in the draft. On the pod they were saying if he went in next year's draft he'd be projected top 10, he most likely would be Gleague this year but it would be an upside pick....

Probably not appropriate for this team given immediate needs.

I don't think it has anything to do with our needs -- no team would pick him at #15.

Why is he coming out? He'd make a lot more money by staying in school another year....

I noticed the low assists too -- & he doesn't shoot much either.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#1667 » by Dat2U » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:34 pm

prime1time wrote:

As far as fit goes, yeah he's exactly what you want. Safe pick. Unless he loses his jumper he'll carve out a role as 3rd/4th option. Some Wally Z in his game. Probably goes higher than where the Wizards pick. I don't see him as Shepp's type however. Maybe if his name was Kisperovic, Shepp would be more interested?
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#1668 » by Dat2U » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:37 pm

Sharife Cooper whew! Not a great fit for the Wizards but probably the best guard in the draft in terms of getting to the rim. Better than Suggs, Cunningham, Giddey. His ability to find bigs for lobs and easy finishes is phenomenal. That jumper is the key though to him being a potential star.
prime1time
Analyst

Post#1669 » by prime1time » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:59 pm

Dat2U wrote:
prime1time wrote:

As far as fit goes, yeah he's exactly what you want. Safe pick. Unless he loses his jumper he'll carve out a role as 3rd/4th option. Some Wally Z in his game. Probably goes higher than where the Wizards pick. I don't see him as Shepp's type however. Maybe if his name was Kisperovic, Shepp would be more interested?

Tbh, we probably won't have a chance to get him. But this guy is going to be electric. I can see him on a team like the Warriors. They would have 3 of the top 10/15 shooters in the league. Kispert already has floaters, stepbacks, off the dribble 3's, finish with both hands at the rim and good/solid ball handling. The stepback at 9:55, the behind the back dribble to the floater at 7:46. As a primary option he will struggle. But playing off a star that commands a double team, he will be dynamite. If he ends up on a team like the Warriors or if one of these long-term middling playoff teams (like the Blazers) trade up they won't regret it. People think he's just a shooter, but he's so much more. He's a 50/40/90 guy on high 3-point volume. If he ends up in the right place, Kispert will be the steal of the draft.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#1670 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:15 pm

prime1time wrote:
Dat2U wrote:
prime1time wrote:

Tbh, we probably won't have a chance to get him. But this guy is going to be electric. I can see him on a team like the Warriors. They would have 3 of the top 10/15 shooters in the league. Kispert already has floaters, stepbacks, off the dribble 3's, finish with both hands at the rim and good/solid ball handling. The stepback at 9:55, the behind the back dribble to the floater at 7:46. As a primary option he will struggle. But playing off a star that commands a double team, he will be dynamite. If he ends up on a team like the Warriors or if one of these long-term middling playoff teams (like the Blazers) trade up they won't regret it. People think he's just a shooter, but he's so much more. He's a 50/40/90 guy on high 3-point volume. If he ends up in the right place, Kispert will be the steal of the draft.

NBA Draft Room

Corey Kispert
NBA DRAFT SCOUTING REPORT
POSITION: SG SF FROM: Gonzaga HT: 6-7 WT: 220
BORN: 3/3/99 YEAR: Sr. WING: NA REACH: NA

Draft Notes
Corey Kispert is a 3pt marksman who might be the best shooter in the draft class. He can get spicy hot from downtown and is deadly accurate when given space to shoot. He also has a very quick release and doesn’t need much time or space to get his shot off.
Corey has shown huge improvement over the years at Gonzaga, not just with his shooting but with his cutting, driving and overall offensive package. He’s never going to be an elite above the rim player or high end athlete but he’s got enough burst to hold his own at the NBA level and good strength as well.
His strong build helps him hold his own on the boards and guarding wings and forwards, although he’ll probably never be a real standout on defense.

Corey is one of the safer bets in the mid first round but certainly not the highest upside player. His shooting should translate, he’s a good decision maker and knows his role and will be a valuable piece of a NBA team.
Some boards have him as mid lottery pick but for me the upside is a bit too limited for that valuation. He gets a mid first round grade and will be especially valuable to an established team looking for a 3pt sniper.
Comparisons
Joe Harris
Martell Webster
Draft Projection
mid first round pick in the 2021 NBA Draft
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#1671 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:40 pm

USA TODAY has Wizards taking Garuba, and Boston taking Kispert at 16.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/nba-mock-draft-cade-cunningham-jalen-suggs-houston-rockets
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,356

Post#1672 » by nate33 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:45 pm

One thing that's going to hurt Kispert is that he has a very short wingspan. I've seen it listed at 6-8, and that might be generous. I wouldn't be surprised if he had a standing reach only a inch or 2 taller than Beal's. It's going to limit him defensively. He'll probably get by at SF, but he won't be effective switching onto bigger players. And let's not forget that he is already 22, a full 2 years older than Avdija.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#1673 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:46 pm

TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,904

Post#1674 » by TGW » Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:22 pm

Yea, at 15 I think he's a no brainer for this team. He can start now while Deni develops.

Garuba looks like Biyombo with a jumpshot.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1675 » by Ruzious » Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:49 pm

Dat2U wrote:Sharife Cooper whew! Not a great fit for the Wizards but probably the best guard in the draft in terms of getting to the rim. Better than Suggs, Cunningham, Giddey. His ability to find bigs for lobs and easy finishes is phenomenal. That jumper is the key though to him being a potential star.

Because of you and CCJ, I've done a 180 on him. I was down on him - Now I think he's a lotto pick. The best comment I read about him is - He dribbles by defenders like they're cones. He has that Ja thing in that he controls the pace - defenders cannot rush him because he's a great ball-handler. But yeah, right now he has no jumper. Will he develop one is the 6 million question.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Hibachi_0
Sophomore
And1: 92

Post#1676 » by Hibachi_0 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:13 pm

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:USA TODAY has Wizards taking Garuba, and Boston taking Kispert at 16.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/nba-mock-draft-cade-cunningham-jalen-suggs-houston-rockets

Tomorrow start the ACB finals. Barcelona vs Madrid. Garuba will be defending Mirotic, I guess. Could be a good oportunity to see him against an NBA-caliber power forward. Bolmaro (drafted 23d last year by the Knicks and traded to the Wolves after) will also have big minutes.

By the way, two days ago Garuba had a 16 & 14 game in the elimination game of the semifinals. Knocking down 3/5 from 3.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,016

Post#1677 » by dckingsfan » Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:59 pm

nate33 wrote:One thing that's going to hurt Kispert is that he has a very short wingspan. I've seen it listed at 6-8, and that might be generous. I wouldn't be surprised if he had a standing reach only a inch or 2 taller than Beal's. It's going to limit him defensively. He'll probably get by at SF, but he won't be effective switching onto bigger players. And let's not forget that he is already 22, a full 2 years older than Avdija.

Yeah - I don't take him. I would rather have Avdija.

But for the short-term where our SF runs to the corner - I can see the draw.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,016

Post#1678 » by dckingsfan » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:09 pm

Hibachi_0 wrote:
SUPERBALLMAN wrote:USA TODAY has Wizards taking Garuba, and Boston taking Kispert at 16.

Tomorrow start the ACB finals. Barcelona vs Madrid. Garuba will be defending Mirotic, I guess. Could be a good oportunity to see him against an NBA-caliber power forward. Bolmaro (drafted 23d last year by the Knicks and traded to the Wolves after) will also have big minutes.

By the way, two days ago Garuba had a 16 & 14 game in the elimination game of the semifinals. Knocking down 3/5 from 3.

The thing about Garuba is that he is a PF in the NBA, IMO. He is pretty good switching now onto smaller players. His defense is where he really shines.

I think he would work well with both Westbrook and Beal (as a finisher). And I think he could be on the court at the same time as Gafford (maybe). But would be a great addition next to Bryant.

I think he will improve his shooting (both FT and 3pt shooting). I think he will develop low post moves over time being the gym rat that he is.

I still think taking a big guard is the way to go - but I wouldn't mind getting Garuba.
Hibachi_0
Sophomore
And1: 92

Post#1679 » by Hibachi_0 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:18 pm

dckingsfan wrote:The thing about Garuba is that he is a PF in the NBA, IMO. He is pretty good switching now onto smaller players. His defense is where he really shines.

I think he would work well with both Westbrook and Beal (as a finisher). And I think he could be on the court at the same time as Gafford (maybe). But would be a great addition next to Bryant.

I think he will improve his shooting (both FT and 3pt shooting). I think he will develop low post moves over time being the gym rat that he is.

I still think taking a big guard is the way to go - but I wouldn't mind getting Garuba.

Yes, I also think his main position is PF. However, a small-ball line up of Westbrook-Beal-Bertans-Rui-Garuba in some moments of the game could be interesting and fun to see.
prime1time
Analyst

Post#1680 » by prime1time » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:01 pm

Along the same line as Kispert is Chris Duarte.

Duarte shot 63.1% on 2 point fg's, 42.4% from 3.

Return to Washington Wizards