ImageImageImageImageImage

2021 Draft thread. Woo! 15th pick here we come! Hoo. Ray.

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: 2021 Draft thread. Woo! 15th pick here we come! Hoo. Ray. 

Post#1781 » by Ruzious » Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:22 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Kevin O'Connor of the Ringer has Duarte going 14 to GSW, and Moody going 15.

He could be right on Duarte, but I'd be surprised if Moody doesn't go top 10.

Joe Wiescamp is shocking me with his length and supposedly a 42 inch vertical. Looks like a clone of Duncan Robinson with more length and leaping ability. He's making money at the combine.

Butler could slide way down. He's not participating in all the drills, and there's speculation that it's because he has a heart health issue. Hopefully he's fine.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1782 » by Ruzious » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:04 pm

CCJ's guy Cameron Thomas dropped out of the combine - must have gotten a 1st round promise from someone. Sounds like a CCJ special, because I sure didn't think he'd go 1st round.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1783 » by Ruzious » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:07 pm

nate33 wrote:Scottie Lewis looks like one of the most athletic guys in the draft with elite lane agility and vertical leap to go with a 7-0 wingspan. Too bad he regressed in his sophomore year at Florida.

Read on Twitter
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#1784 » by prime1time » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:57 pm

Where are people getting the measurements from
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 898

Post#1785 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:14 pm

"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Re: 2021 Draft thread. Evan Mobley here we come! :) 

Post#1786 » by 80sballboy » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:22 pm

Ruzious wrote:
80sballboy wrote:
Frichuela wrote:
I would prefer Butler but if he drops to 15 and we can not trade down then I would be happy with him. Great defensive player and with a burst on O. Marcus Smart light. His FT shooting percentages scare me though.

Love him. See a little Donovan Mitchell as well as Marcus Smart. Really good shooter.44.7% 3pt. The FT shooting is bizarre. I wonder if some guys focus so much on the three-point line that they struggled from the 15-foot range.

To me, Michell is the next Patrick Beverly - has that same manic energy and desire on defense - and similar size, I think. I don't see him as being a guy you can consistently rely on being more than a 4th option on D - but he'll burn you if you don't pay attention to him.

I think he's better than Beverley on offense. He's not Donovan offensively, but he has that stocky frame like him and can get his own shot. He's also explosive. Can play some combo guard despite his lack of height.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#1787 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:37 pm

Surprised Cooper measured 6-3.5 w/o shoes, same height as Dosunmu.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,349

Post#1788 » by nate33 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:43 pm

80sballboy wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
80sballboy wrote:
Love him. See a little Donovan Mitchell as well as Marcus Smart. Really good shooter.44.7% 3pt. The FT shooting is bizarre. I wonder if some guys focus so much on the three-point line that they struggled from the 15-foot range.

To me, Michell is the next Patrick Beverly - has that same manic energy and desire on defense - and similar size, I think. I don't see him as being a guy you can consistently rely on being more than a 4th option on D - but he'll burn you if you don't pay attention to him.

I think he's better than Beverley on offense. He's not Donovan offensively, but he has that stocky frame like him and can get his own shot. He's also explosive. Can play some combo guard despite his lack of height.

Yeah, I think he's more Kyle Lowry than Beverley. He might only be a poor man's Kyle Lowry, but even that is pretty good.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1789 » by nate33 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:43 pm

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:Surprised Cooper measured 6-3.5 w/o shoes, same height as Dosunmu.

That's surely a typo.
prime1time
Analyst

Post#1790 » by prime1time » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:46 pm

Measuring in at 6'1.25 in shoes is going to hurt Mitchell. I know we need wing defense, but I'd consider drafting him. Moody helped himself with his wingspan (7'0.75) but he's shorter than I expected at 6'6.0 in shoes. Zaire Williams is interesting at 6'9.75 in shoes. Trey Murphy continues to look like an underrated prospect 6'9.25 in shoes and 7'0.25 wingspan. Scottie Barnes is locked into the lower half of the top 10 with his 7'2.25 wingspan.
prime1time
Analyst

Post#1791 » by prime1time » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:51 pm

Ruzious wrote:
80sballboy wrote:
Frichuela wrote:
I would prefer Butler but if he drops to 15 and we can not trade down then I would be happy with him. Great defensive player and with a burst on O. Marcus Smart light. His FT shooting percentages scare me though.

Mitchell's a way better offensive player than Beverly. But at his size, it's just tough to see him starting. WIth that being said I would be fine with drafting him at 15. There are only so many guys that you can put in the game that can create offense from nothing and Mitchell is one of those guys. Because he's an under the rim finisher, he needs to be more creative in how he finishes. He should watch tape of Kyrie, Rod Strickland, Tony Parker, Steve Nash and CP3. Mitchell off the bench could be absolutely lethal.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#1792 » by queridiculo » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:59 pm

jangles86 wrote:I’m gonna put my whole support for this franchise to draft Josh Giddey at pick 15.
I’ve followed the wizards my whole life and being an Australian I’d love to see a young up and coming star of Australian basketball play for the wiz. I grew up watching his dad play for the Melbourne tigers during a time where the NBL was in its golden years in Australia and he was as tough as nails and absolute competitor.

So put me down as #1 representative the Josh Giddey to wizards club. :D

Josh Giddie is basically Deni Avdija.

I really don't see the point of adding yet another tweener that's never going to play his natural position as a ball handling forward.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#1793 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:14 pm

Jericho Sims seems to really be improving his stock. NBA DRAFT ROOM has him #67 on their mock....

Read on Twitter

BR
That starts with Texas Longhorns big man Jericho Sims, who registered the second-longest wingspan at the combine at 7'3.25" behind Neemias Queta (7'4") as well as the highest vertical leap at 44.5 inches. And that was before he showed off his mobility and skillset on the floor.

Bleacher Report's Jonathan Wasserman didn't have Sims on his pre-draft lottery big board while Sam Vecenie of The Athletic listed Sims as the 100th and final prospect in his pre-lottery rankings. After Sims' showing on Tuesday—to say little of him averaging 9.2 points and 7.2 rebounds per game last year for Texas—the 22-year-old center may be one to watch out for come July.

Read on Twitter

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1794 » by Ruzious » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:16 pm

nate33 wrote:
SUPERBALLMAN wrote:Surprised Cooper measured 6-3.5 w/o shoes, same height as Dosunmu.

That's surely a typo.

It's definitely a type (oops typo, :) )

Re Davion Mitchell, I think ya gotta look at his history - not just this past season. He's a 4th year junior, and he never shot well before this season. Also, he's a very poor foul shooter. I think it's a reach to compare him to Lowry. Lowry did gradually and dramatically improve his shooting in the NBA, but that's no indication that Mitchell will.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1795 » by nate33 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:22 pm

Ruzious wrote:
nate33 wrote:

That's surely a typo.

It's definitely a type.

Re Davion Mitchell, I think ya gotta look at his history - not just this past season. He's a 4th year junior, and he never shot well before this season. Also, he's a very poor foul shooter. I think it's a reach to compare him to Lowry. Lowry did gradually and dramatically improve his shooting in the NBA, but that's no indication that Mitchell will.

True. I didn't mean to imply that he is likely to be as good as Lowry. If he was, he would be a top 3 pick. I'm just saying his stature and style of game seems more Lowry than Beverley.

It remains to be seen whether he will continue to develop throughout his NBA career like Lowry did. But it wouldn't surprise me at all if his NBA career looked something like the first 5 years of Lowry's career.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,366

Post#1796 » by doclinkin » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:45 pm

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:Jericho Sims seems to really be improving his stock.

Holy crap he can move. So fluid.

At this point I love every player. I only wish we had more picks than one.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1797 » by Ruzious » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:59 pm

doclinkin wrote:

He's not a skilled offensive player, but then again - I said the same thing about Gafford.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#1798 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:19 pm

doclinkin wrote:

I love the depth of this draft for players that look to be available late with high upside.

Trey Murphy III and JT Thor are a pair of forwards with great length and defensive versatility, and silky smooth shooting strokes.

Isaiah Jackson and Jericho Sims are long athletic and fluid rim protectors who can defend 3-5.

Makur Maker is a freakishly athletic center who can handle like a guard.

If I was just drafting for upside and looking for a diamond in the rough I'd be drooling for all of them!

This guy Bleijenbergh a 6-10 F with amazing skill and passing.

Josh Primo a SG/SF youngest player in draft athletic versatile defender 3 & D potential.

Sylla another forward with length and defensive versatility and skill.

Queta 7-ft Center with nice size and length and highly skilled defensively.

Badji 7-1 Center with a 7-8 wing compared to Dikembe.

Really I'd love to nab like 5 or 6 of these guys if just to stockpile some talent on the Go-Go and develop.
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#1799 » by Dark Faze » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:31 pm

That Sims tape is more intriguing than most guys in the first round.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#1800 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:37 pm

Dark Faze wrote:That Sims tape is more intriguing than most guys in the first round.

Yeah he just seems to have been completely overlooked somehow before this combine. Not sure how all these mocks have him not even being drafted when you just watch him in action.

Looks pretty similar to Gafford actually.

Return to Washington Wizards