ImageImageImageImageImage

2021 Draft thread. Woo! 15th pick here we come! Hoo. Ray.

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 862

Re: 2021 Draft thread. Woo! 15th pick here we come! Hoo. Ray. 

Post#1801 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:00 am

A guy I think could be unundervalued in this draft is Luka Garza. Not the most athletic, but very strong, good rebounder and nice low post skills and footwork, can shoot the 3, and he plays HARD.
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,428

Post#1802 » by mhd » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:10 am

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:A guy I think could be unundervalued in this draft is Luka Garza. Not the most athletic, but very strong, good rebounder and nice low post skills and footwork, can shoot the 3, and he plays HARD.

Yeah, I know he's slow, but honestly, I'd rather have Garza on a cheap contract vs Thomas Bryant on his deal coming off an ACL. Maybe Garza can't play b/c of his deficiencies, but he's super skilled.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#1803 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:12 am

Ruzious wrote:
SUPERBALLMAN wrote:Anyone like JT Thor ?
NBA DRAFT ROOM:

JT Thor – The Auburn freshman forward came in at 6-9 ¼ with an outstanding 7-3 ¼ wingspan. Thor has a great looking 3pt shot, excellent agility and mobility and that massive wingspan, which should get teams excited in the late lottery to mid first round.

Very interesting prospect with a high ceiling, but I think he should have stayed in school another year unless he got a promise from a team that they'd take him in the first round. Can't see him playing in the NBA next season. Had only 1 game (out of 27) with more than 15 points and none with 10 rebounds - but exciting potential and 18.

Read on Twitter
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#1804 » by I_Like_Dirt » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:13 am

nate33 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
nate33 wrote:That's surely a typo.

It's definitely a type.

Re Davion Mitchell, I think ya gotta look at his history - not just this past season. He's a 4th year junior, and he never shot well before this season. Also, he's a very poor foul shooter. I think it's a reach to compare him to Lowry. Lowry did gradually and dramatically improve his shooting in the NBA, but that's no indication that Mitchell will.

True. I didn't mean to imply that he is likely to be as good as Lowry. If he was, he would be a top 3 pick. I'm just saying his stature and style of game seems more Lowry than Beverley.

It remains to be seen whether he will continue to develop throughout his NBA career like Lowry did. But it wouldn't surprise me at all if his NBA career looked something like the first 5 years of Lowry's career.
I think Mitchell is one of the safer picks in the draft. When we look back in a decade, he's likely going to be a top 10 guy or so in the draft. The issue is that he chances of being top 5 in the draft aren't very high. I don't think there are any perfect comparisons for him (though Beverley was pretty close in college) but I feel like he's about as good a bet as it gets to break into the Terry Rozier/Fred VanVleet level of PG. The thing is, those kinds of guys rarely go top 10. Malachi Flynn went in the late 1st last draft and I'm not so sure he was a worse prospect.

I think once he gets into the 10 to 15 range, he becomes a rather solid choice. That said, he definitely built up some hype in the tournament and I expect he's gone in the top 10 anyway. I don't see superstar upside there at all but I do see a quality NBA rotation player and I doubt any team that drafts him actually winds up regretting it - there will be better players taken after him but they won't have come out of the draft empty-handed, either.

Sent from my SM-G970W using RealGM mobile app
Bucket! Bucket!
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1805 » by Ruzious » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:20 am

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
SUPERBALLMAN wrote:Anyone like JT Thor ?
NBA DRAFT ROOM:

JT Thor – The Auburn freshman forward came in at 6-9 ¼ with an outstanding 7-3 ¼ wingspan. Thor has a great looking 3pt shot, excellent agility and mobility and that massive wingspan, which should get teams excited in the late lottery to mid first round.

Very interesting prospect with a high ceiling, but I think he should have stayed in school another year unless he got a promise from a team that they'd take him in the first round. Can't see him playing in the NBA next season. Had only 1 game (out of 27) with more than 15 points and none with 10 rebounds - but exciting potential and 18.

Read on Twitter

Impressive. And it looked like his release got quicker in the later clips. He's definitely looking like a FRP.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,271

Post#1806 » by doclinkin » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:03 am

Ruzious wrote:
doclinkin wrote:
SUPERBALLMAN wrote:Jericho Sims seems to really be improving his stock.

Holy crap he can move. So fluid.

At this point I love every player. I only wish we had more picks than one.

He's not a skilled offensive player, but then again - I said the same thing about Gafford.

Skilled, no. But from what I can tell it looks like he posted a max vertical that is top 3 ever in the history of the combine. Yeah we already have a Gafford, and Sims is 22 and shoots 50% from the line, but as far as raw underdeveloped talent, that is about as talented as you are going to see. Watching footage he seems easy and comfortable on a switching defense on the outside. Even when his technique or footwork are bad he makes up the difference with pure athleticism. Players like Jarret Allen and Daniel Gafford tend to slip to the mid-late first round, but then prove valuable down the line, usually for their 2nd team. Since Jericho Sims stayed 4 years, he did his developing in college, there is a chance to proves more valuable to the team that drafts him.

But yeah we have Gafford. And Bryant.

Still, every dunk he did had chin at the rim hops with no wind up. Good bounce and second bounce. Yeah if we had a big man coach... my same old song. I just think we could become a masters degree program for quality NBA bigs if we knew how to properly work them. Churn out a generation of new school Bill Russells.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#1807 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:07 am

Ruzious wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:Kevin O'Connor of the Ringer has Duarte going 14 to GSW, and Moody going 15.

He could be right on Duarte, but I'd be surprised if Moody doesn't go top 10.

Joe Wiescamp is shocking me with his length and supposedly a 42 inch vertical. Looks like a clone of Duncan Robinson with more length and leaping ability. He's making money at the combine.

Butler could slide way down. He's not participating in all the drills, and there's speculation that it's because he has a heart health issue. Hopefully he's fine.

Wiescamp is coming out of the combine looking good. More athletic than I realized, and with that 3 ball stroke, I can see him becoming a stud off the bench for somebody.

doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,271

Post#1808 » by doclinkin » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:10 am

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:
Dark Faze wrote:That Sims tape is more intriguing than most guys in the first round.

Yeah he just seems to have been completely overlooked somehow before this combine. Not sure how all these mocks have him not even being drafted when you just watch him in action.

Looks pretty similar to Gafford actually.

Looking at Texas' stats, he never played with a guard that averaged more than 4 assists a game. He's going to feast when he has an NBA caliber Point feeding him.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1809 » by Ruzious » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:59 am

doclinkin wrote:
SUPERBALLMAN wrote:
Dark Faze wrote:That Sims tape is more intriguing than most guys in the first round.

Yeah he just seems to have been completely overlooked somehow before this combine. Not sure how all these mocks have him not even being drafted when you just watch him in action.

Looks pretty similar to Gafford actually.

Looking at Texas' stats, he never played with a guard that averaged more than 4 assists a game. He's going to feast when he has an NBA caliber Point feeding him.

Texas played Sims at C with Greg Brown mostly at PF and Kai Jones playing the best perimeter player. Kai Jones is an even more talented defender than Sims. That was a crazy college front court. I don't think scouts even bothered watching Sims, because Brown was a highly heralded prospect, and Kai was such a wild talent.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,223

Post#1810 » by NatP4 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:08 am

Been saying it all year. Wieskamp is a NBA player. Big time pickup in round 2, same with Livers.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#1811 » by NatP4 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:10 am

queridiculo wrote:
jangles86 wrote:I’m gonna put my whole support for this franchise to draft Josh Giddey at pick 15.
I’ve followed the wizards my whole life and being an Australian I’d love to see a young up and coming star of Australian basketball play for the wiz. I grew up watching his dad play for the Melbourne tigers during a time where the NBL was in its golden years in Australia and he was as tough as nails and absolute competitor.

So put me down as #1 representative the Josh Giddey to wizards club. :D

Josh Giddie is basically Deni Avdija.

I really don't see the point of adding yet another tweener that's never going to play his natural position as a ball handling forward.

Giddey and Avdija are totally different players.

Avdija is a wing player that will play the 3/4 that can rack up a few assists and be a secondary playmaker at times.

Giddey is a primary initiator that will play the 1-3 with elite court vision and double digit assist potential. He is a point guard.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#1812 » by NatP4 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:14 am

Giddey is gonna fall to a range that we can easily trade up to.

That’s a franchise changing move. Make it
NatP4
RealGM

Post#1813 » by NatP4 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:19 am

It would be hard to justify drafting any of the meh prospects most likely available at 15 over Garuba. Just way more upside. No idea why he isn’t projected in the 8-12 range.
likwitdesi
Starter
And1: 60

Post#1814 » by likwitdesi » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:12 am

NatP4 wrote:Giddey is gonna fall to a range that we can easily trade up to.

Assuming Russ and Brad are still here, that would be a waste. Would rather have Duarte.

If they move Russ and Brad, then go for the upside pick
Illuminaire
Veteran
And1: 606

Post#1815 » by Illuminaire » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:16 pm

likwitdesi wrote:

Assuming Russ and Brad are still here, that would be a waste. Would rather have Duarte.

Why would it be a waste if Westbrook is an mid-30s guard who depends on his athleticism? Historically speaking, the odds of him remaining a difference making starter for more than another 1-2 years are extremely slim.
likwitdesi
Starter
And1: 60

Post#1816 » by likwitdesi » Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:05 pm

Illuminaire wrote:
likwitdesi wrote:

Why would it be a waste if Westbrook is an mid-30s guard who depends on his athleticism? Historically speaking, the odds of him remaining a difference making starter for more than another 1-2 years are extremely slim.

Because the team will try to optimize with this pick around the 1-2 years left of Westbrook if they keep him. The team is close to the luxury tax and needs talent that can help immediately if it is to try to accomplish Ted's mandate of making the playoffs.

Drafting another Troy Brown isn't going to help as we have seen.

Another point is that some on this board prioritize the upside of drafting a 19 year old a little too much. There is value in having an NBA ready rotation player on a rookie contract for 4 years and getting the productivity you need out of that player for at least 3, if not all 4 of those years.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#1817 » by NatP4 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:45 pm

Everything about that is just bad process. Drafting for fit, building around a 33 year old that relies on athleticism exclusively, trying to squeeze into the 8 seed.

Yikes
jangles86
Starter
And1: 937

Post#1818 » by jangles86 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:01 am

People on here are getting very confused about Giddies position. He’s an absolute elite talented creator. He is your primary ball handler and creator that at his size will be an absolute defensive nightmare. His potential is arguably higher then anyone we have on our roster currently.
He is in a similar mold to LaMelo Ball.. a little less athletic then Ball but his basketball IQ is well on par and he is stronger then Ball. Giddey is tough and high IQ and is a strong defender that can guard 4 positions on the court. He has a very nice floater but his shooting will determine on if he becomes a starter or not.
He is not similar to Deni at all and both could play together on the court at the same time and provide a hugely flexible duo.
jangles86
Starter

Post#1819 » by jangles86 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:21 am

Just a quick comparison between LaMelo Ball and Josh Giddeys single season stats in the NBL.

Josh Giddey 18 years old, 6’9, 200lbs: 32mpg, 10.8ppg, 7.3rpg, 7.7apg, 43%fg (9 attempts pg), 29%3fg (3.5 attempts per game), 1.1spg, 0.4bpg, 3.3turnoverspg

LaMelo Ball 18 years old 6’7, 190lbs : 31mpg, 17ppg, 7.6rpg, 6.8apg, 37%fg (15 attemptspg), 25%3fg (6.7attempts pg), 1.6spg, 0.1bpg, 2.5turnovers pg)

Make of this what you will. LaMelo only played 12 games in the NBL and only won three of them, where as Giddey played 28 and won 13. So slightly different circumstances with teams. But similar stats in ways. LaMelo had a lot of focus on him when he played in Australia so it probably forced him to play a slightly more offensive game then what he would’ve liked to have shown.
jangles86
Starter

Post#1820 » by jangles86 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:34 am

Read on Twitter

Giddey is in the Australian Boomers Olympic squad so he will hopefully get plenty of opportunities to show off his skill. Australia group is looking like Serbia, Croatia and Nigeria. So it will be a very strong group. Boomers are FIBA ranked 3rd in the world behind US and Spain.

With Ben Simmons likely pulling out of the Australian Olympic team, Giddey will likely get a few more minutes.

Return to Washington Wizards