ImageImageImageImageImage

Woj - Westbrook for Wall and 1st Rounder

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

NatP4
General Manager
Posts: 9,448
And1: 2,838
Joined: Jul 24, 2016
         

Re: Woj - Westbrook for Wall and 1st Rounder 

Post#401 » by NatP4 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 8:32 pm

Westbrook has been fine defensively. He’s not a plus, not a liability. Average.

Beal is the one that is absolutely horrible
User avatar
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 57,402
And1: 10,670
Joined: Oct 28, 2002

Re: Woj - Westbrook for Wall and 1st Rounder 

Post#402 » by nate33 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 8:35 pm

Beal has been pretty solid defensively so far this year. Even Brooks was praising him.

I agree that he was awful last year.
Shanghai Kid
General Manager
Posts: 9,006
And1: 1,301
Joined: Jun 26, 2003

Re: Woj - Westbrook for Wall and 1st Rounder 

Post#403 » by Shanghai Kid » Sun Jan 3, 2021 8:42 pm

Honestly for me the difference is I was expecting Westbrook to be a little bit more explosive. I haven't had any real big issue with his floor game, and I didn't expect him to be good on defense. But it seems like he's regressed athletically?

Wall being 100% and looking explosive tells me he may have a long, productive career ahead of him. Westbrook I'm not sure how big the fall is going to be or when. John looks refreshed and energetic, and highly motivated. Furthermore, there is a lot coming out about him being a great leader and floor general in Houston so far. Westbrook to be fair seems to be a good leader in his own right.

The trade can be win/win. But we all expected that we were getting the better player this season. Wall might flip the script on that narrative.
NatP4
General Manager
Posts: 9,448
And1: 2,838
Joined: Jul 24, 2016
         

Re: Woj - Westbrook for Wall and 1st Rounder 

Post#404 » by NatP4 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 8:47 pm

nate33 wrote:Beal has been pretty solid defensively so far this year. Even Brooks was praising him.

I agree that he was awful last year.


Brooks praising someone means absolutely nothing. Beal has been terrible staying infront of guards
User avatar
fanofthegreats
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 4,588
And1: 967
Joined: Jan 18, 2005
Location: Chicago

Re: Woj - Westbrook for Wall and 1st Rounder 

Post#405 » by fanofthegreats » Sun Jan 3, 2021 9:30 pm

Westbrook’s defense has been below average to downright awful for years now.
Image

Sig by Trixx
badinage
Senior
Posts: 736
And1: 95
Joined: May 09, 2002

Re: Woj - Westbrook for Wall and 1st Rounder 

Post#406 » by badinage » Sun Jan 3, 2021 10:31 pm

fanofthegreats wrote:Westbrook’s defense has been below average to downright awful for years now.


https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/inoqqg/russell_westbrook_has_the_highest_defensive/
User avatar
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
Posts: 46,830
And1: 5,834
Joined: Aug 05, 2001
Location: Mililani, Hawaii (Oahu)
Contact:
       

Re: Woj - Westbrook for Wall and 1st Rounder 

Post#407 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Jan 3, 2021 10:34 pm

Shanghai Kid wrote:Honestly for me the difference is I was expecting Westbrook to be a little bit more explosive. I haven't had any real big issue with his floor game, and I didn't expect him to be good on defense. But it seems like he's regressed athletically?

Wall being 100% and looking explosive tells me he may have a long, productive career ahead of him. Westbrook I'm not sure how big the fall is going to be or when. John looks refreshed and energetic, and highly motivated. Furthermore, there is a lot coming out about him being a great leader and floor general in Houston so far. Westbrook to be fair seems to be a good leader in his own right.

The trade can be win/win. But we all expected that we were getting the better player this season. Wall might flip the script on that narrative.


Not me. I expected Wall would be this good. I checked Russ’s decline the past three years. Definitely wouldn’t have done the deal spending a first to get Westbrook. The pick made it a no go.

(I wanted a deal for Fultz and others).

The early results are in. Bad trade Wizards. What I did also think before the deal is Wall’s long term is just as iffy as Westbrook’s. John had other lower leg issues.

Wall is playing terrific and healthy now, but for how long?
User avatar
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
Posts: 46,830
And1: 5,834
Joined: Aug 05, 2001
Location: Mililani, Hawaii (Oahu)
Contact:
       

Re: Woj - Westbrook for Wall and 1st Rounder 

Post#408 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Jan 3, 2021 10:36 pm

You had to foresee the so Wizards in the not even waiting until a few games into this season to make a deal. Leonsis’ emotional knee jerk after the gang signs was no different than Abe Pollin going stupid and dealing Chris Webber over some weed.
User avatar
doclinkin
RealGM
Posts: 10,303
And1: 2,447
Joined: Jul 26, 2004
Location: .wizuds.

Re: Woj - Westbrook for Wall and 1st Rounder 

Post#409 » by doclinkin » Sun Jan 3, 2021 11:48 pm

doclinkin wrote:
Also. Any body else notice in the 'DC ABOVE ALL" player introduction video that replaces our DCFAMILY job from last year, they include a mural that says 'Ich bin ein Berliner...'.

Really? That is what we are going for? In this year of White Supremacist Nazi uprisings we changed our motto basically from "we are family" to "Deutschland Uber Alles"? How does Deni feel about that?


From a message to me:

I'm a bit confused by the last two paragraphs of your post in the Westbrook trade thread.

I haven't watched the player intros, so I may be missing something. But "Ich bin ein Berliner" is a quote from JFK's speech at the Berlin Wall in 1963: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ich_bin_ein_Berliner. Considering your literary chops, you may know that and have intended something I didn't follow. I have no clue why that would be in a player introduction, but it doesn't seem right to equate that quote with the German national anthem and be something that might offend an Israeli (with Muslim and Jewish parents).


I'd happily answer this in the thread.

I did not immediately recognize it as a JFK quote but did look it up when I was typing to make sure it was not a hallucination on my part.

The "DC Over All" thing has bugged me since they announced it as a theme for the season. I have family and friends who were SHARP skins (skinheads against racial prejudice) and they had to fight Nazi skins all the time. From that association I learned early the "Uber Alles" phrase has long been associated with Nazi sympathizers, even outside of history and Germany. Hell the first verse is banned in Germany because of how closely the opening stanza is associated with the Third Reich.

To see the opening video of the Wizards intros with the phrase, "Over All", bugged me. I know where it came from. So do the marketing geniuses who thought it was a smart idea. Then to see the video with the phrase, with a wink, showing the one DC landmark with a phrase written in German, seemed too much of a coincidence. Given that the most famous use of the song was when a stadium full of Nazi sympathizers sang it to welcome Hitler to the opening of the Summer Olympics.

Even if it is one marketing director who thinks he is being sly or cheeky, or maybe they thought it was great that we have an international team and were nodding to the fact that we have two German nationals on the team. Okay, maybe. Sure. No. To me when you have had to fight in a parking lot a carload of a-holes who pull up blasting Oi! and the German national anthem, then a propaganda video that hints at Leni Reifentahl -- well as all propaganda videos do-- is distasteful to me.
deneem4
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,118
And1: 951
Joined: Dec 26, 2012

Re: Woj - Westbrook for Wall and 1st Rounder 

Post#410 » by deneem4 » Mon Jan 4, 2021 12:17 am

We should’ve never did the trade and brought in dmc....but it’s was something going on the locker room...
Wall looks amazing though
Pay your beals....or its lights out!!!
Bron, Bosh, Wade is like Mike, Hakeem, barkley...3 top 5 picks from same draft
mike, hakeem and Barkley on the same team!!!!
NatP4
General Manager
Posts: 9,448
And1: 2,838
Joined: Jul 24, 2016
         

Re: Woj - Westbrook for Wall and 1st Rounder 

Post#411 » by NatP4 » Tue Jan 5, 2021 10:48 pm

Wall now at 21.6 points 6.4 assists 4.7 rebounds 4.0 turnovers and 1.3 steals per36 with a -9.9 net rating and 54.6 TS%.

Rockets have a 1.0 net rating with Wall off the court, leaving Wall with a -10.9 net differential, good for 3rd worst on the team.

Westbrook is averaging 19.8 points 11.3 assists, 10.8 rebounds 4.6 turnovers with 1.2 steals per 36 with a 2.2 net rating and 45.3 TS%.

Wiz are -6.3 net without Westbrook, giving him an 8.5 net differential, good for 5th best on the team.
NatP4
General Manager
Posts: 9,448
And1: 2,838
Joined: Jul 24, 2016
         

Re: Woj - Westbrook for Wall and 1st Rounder 

Post#412 » by NatP4 » Tue Jan 5, 2021 10:50 pm

Wall and Harden have a -20.7 net rating in 51 minutes played together this season
User avatar
TGW
RealGM
Posts: 10,085
And1: 3,682
Joined: Oct 22, 2010

Re: Woj - Westbrook for Wall and 1st Rounder 

Post#413 » by TGW » Thu Jan 7, 2021 3:27 am

John Wall and a protected first round pick...or Westbrick.

For anyone with half a brain, this isn't a difficult decision. :banghead:
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
Wizardspride
RealGM
Posts: 13,425
And1: 7,723
Joined: Nov 05, 2004
Location: Olney, MD/Kailua/Kaneohe, HI
       

Re: Woj - Westbrook for Wall and 1st Rounder 

Post#414 » by Wizardspride » Thu Jan 7, 2021 4:30 am

TGW wrote:John Wall and a protected first round pick...or Westbrick.

For anyone with half a brain, this isn't a difficult decision. :banghead:

:(

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
User avatar
queridiculo
RealGM
Posts: 14,836
And1: 6,184
Joined: Mar 29, 2005
Location: Maximum Pain Zone
   

Re: Woj - Westbrook for Wall and 1st Rounder 

Post#415 » by queridiculo » Thu Jan 7, 2021 12:45 pm

This isn't Webber, Mitch Richmond bad, but it's up there from a decision making perspective.

You traded the younger player with a better floor game and a 1st round draft pick for an older player that is more reliant on his explosiveness and two years and a whole bunch more mileage into his physical decline.

Just awful.

**** you Ted.
User avatar
queridiculo
RealGM
Posts: 14,836
And1: 6,184
Joined: Mar 29, 2005
Location: Maximum Pain Zone
   

Re: Woj - Westbrook for Wall and 1st Rounder 

Post#416 » by queridiculo » Thu Jan 7, 2021 12:56 pm

doclinkin wrote:
doclinkin wrote:
Also. Any body else notice in the 'DC ABOVE ALL" player introduction video that replaces our DCFAMILY job from last year, they include a mural that says 'Ich bin ein Berliner...'.

Really? That is what we are going for? In this year of White Supremacist Nazi uprisings we changed our motto basically from "we are family" to "Deutschland Uber Alles"? How does Deni feel about that?


From a message to me:

I'm a bit confused by the last two paragraphs of your post in the Westbrook trade thread.

I haven't watched the player intros, so I may be missing something. But "Ich bin ein Berliner" is a quote from JFK's speech at the Berlin Wall in 1963: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ich_bin_ein_Berliner. Considering your literary chops, you may know that and have intended something I didn't follow. I have no clue why that would be in a player introduction, but it doesn't seem right to equate that quote with the German national anthem and be something that might offend an Israeli (with Muslim and Jewish parents).


I'd happily answer this in the thread.

I did not immediately recognize it as a JFK quote but did look it up when I was typing to make sure it was not a hallucination on my part.

The "DC Over All" thing has bugged me since they announced it as a theme for the season. I have family and friends who were SHARP skins (skinheads against racial prejudice) and they had to fight Nazi skins all the time. From that association I learned early the "Uber Alles" phrase has long been associated with Nazi sympathizers, even outside of history and Germany. Hell the first verse is banned in Germany because of how closely the opening stanza is associated with the Third Reich.

To see the opening video of the Wizards intros with the phrase, "Over All", bugged me. I know where it came from. So do the marketing geniuses who thought it was a smart idea. Then to see the video with the phrase, with a wink, showing the one DC landmark with a phrase written in German, seemed too much of a coincidence. Given that the most famous use of the song was when a stadium full of Nazi sympathizers sang it to welcome Hitler to the opening of the Summer Olympics.

Even if it is one marketing director who thinks he is being sly or cheeky, or maybe they thought it was great that we have an international team and were nodding to the fact that we have two German nationals on the team. Okay, maybe. Sure. No. To me when you have had to fight in a parking lot a carload of a-holes who pull up blasting Oi! and the German national anthem, then a propaganda video that hints at Leni Reifentahl -- well as all propaganda videos do-- is distasteful to me.


I mean, this is the same marketing department that thought putting Leonsis and his double bottom line nonsense on equal footing with MLK for the Wizards celebration of black history month...

"Germany above all" has been removed from the German anthem because of its nationalistic, fascist tinge, seeing it as part of the Wizards official tag line for this season is cringe of the highest degree.

In find it particular distasteful given given the climate of this country over the spring and summer, and the fascist vibes from one spectrum of politics in the United States under the current administration.

I have no idea how you let something like this slip.

I'd chalk it up to ignorance more than anything, but it just goes to show you that the best and brightest is not what comes to mind with this bunch leading the organization.
User avatar
queridiculo
RealGM
Posts: 14,836
And1: 6,184
Joined: Mar 29, 2005
Location: Maximum Pain Zone
   

Re: Woj - Westbrook for Wall and 1st Rounder 

Post#417 » by queridiculo » Thu Jan 7, 2021 12:58 pm

nate33 wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:

I was being sarcastic.

The man gave multiple interviews talking about how excited he was to play with Brad.

Didn't sound like someone eager to get out of DC...

David Aldridge sure seemed to think that the Beal/Wall relationship was broken and that one had to be moved immediately.


From Aldridge's pen straight to Leonsis feeble mind.
Shanghai Kid
General Manager
Posts: 9,006
And1: 1,301
Joined: Jun 26, 2003

Re: Woj - Westbrook for Wall and 1st Rounder 

Post#418 » by Shanghai Kid » Thu Jan 7, 2021 3:14 pm

Wall is now averaging 23/5/5 on 57% TS.

He took only two midrange shots last night out of 20, everything else was going to the basket or 3s.

In all honesty I think most of us were expecting a bit washed version of Wall who because of reduced athletecism had to relied on his jumper. Idk how, but hes as good going to the basket as hes ever been.

All that said, John still seems lost without the ball and is still turnover happy.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,572
And1: 1,765
Joined: Jun 12, 2010
     

Re: Woj - Westbrook for Wall and 1st Rounder 

Post#419 » by pcbothwel » Thu Jan 7, 2021 3:21 pm

Shanghai Kid wrote:Wall is now averaging 23/5/5 on 57% TS.

He took only two midrange shots last night out of 20, everything else was going to the basket or 3s.

In all honesty I think most of us were expecting a bit washed version of Wall who because of reduced athletecism had to relied on his jumper. Idk how, but hes as good going to the basket as hes ever been.

All that said, John still seems lost without the ball and is still turnover happy.


This.
He has been getting to the basket and converting both at the rim and his FTs... But he is shooting 5 3s per game and making 1 (22%), and he is averaging almost as many turnovers as assist. Obviously he'll need time to adjust, but people touting his stat line need to dig deeper.
"Wall exploded for 28 points last night"... Great, but he also averaged only 3 assist to 5 turnovers :o
User avatar
tontoz
RealGM
Posts: 17,102
And1: 2,638
Joined: Apr 11, 2005

Re: Woj - Westbrook for Wall and 1st Rounder 

Post#420 » by tontoz » Thu Jan 7, 2021 3:46 pm

Maybe we are reading this trade all wrong. Maybe they brought in Westbrook to be the tank commander. Brooks is making his contribution with the wacky lineups.

Could they be playing 5d chess, executing a stealth tank?
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD

Return to Washington Wizards