The 2020 Rookie Class

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Re: The 2020 Rookie Class 

Post#41 » by nate33 » Tue Mar 2, 2021 11:35 pm

NatP4 wrote:This collective board wisdom(myself included) missed on Killian Hayes

I think nearly all of us had Haliburton ahead of Hayes among the combo guards. Granted, I didn't think Hayes would be a bust (and to be fair, it's far too early to conclude that).
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#42 » by Ruzious » Tue Mar 2, 2021 11:37 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:I’m starting to think I was wrong about Jalen Smith. Time will tell...

He was set back early on with an injury and I think a Covid issue that he had to be quarantined. So give him a mulligan at least for the first half of the season.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#43 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Mar 2, 2021 11:37 pm

Belongs in the draft thread but right now Jared Butler and Davion Mitchell are getting outplayed by West Virginia’s guards.
Bye bye Beal.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,271

Post#44 » by doclinkin » Tue Mar 2, 2021 11:40 pm

Dat2U wrote:
NatP4 wrote:Haliburton&Tillman, yeah.

Would have cost us a 2021 2nd to go up and get Tillman but it would have been worth it.

We don't have a 2nd round 2021 draft pick...
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,223

Post#45 » by NatP4 » Tue Mar 2, 2021 11:41 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Belongs in the draft thread but right now Jared Butler and Davion Mitchell are getting outplayed by West Virginia’s guards.

Awesome matchup. Miles McBride is no joke!! But Butler&Mitchell are rolling now.
RealGM

Post#46 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Mar 2, 2021 11:57 pm

It’s like an NBA game.
Bye bye Beal.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,062

Post#47 » by Dat2U » Wed Mar 3, 2021 12:10 am

payitforward wrote:

Man... we were NOT getting Haliburton. Teams were warned off of him by his agent, & if they had not been warned off of him, he would have gone before #9.

We didn't "miss on" Haliburton. He wasn't really available to us.

Dat2U wrote:Would have cost us a 2021 2nd to go up and get Tillman but it would have been worth it.

Absolutely!

Memphis gave their #40 plus a future R2 pick. We had the #37 to give -- an advantage over them

Now, maybe Memphis gave a '21 R2 pick, which we could not do, as we don't have one. So, that was an advantage they had over us.

What it comes back to in the end is trading down vs. making our #9 pick. A trade with Boston might have worked out better than simply taking Deni.

But, I don't question the decision.

If the Wizards draft Haliburton at 9, they own his rights. Everything else is hearsay and conjecture.
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#48 » by Dat2U » Wed Mar 3, 2021 12:10 am

doclinkin wrote:
Dat2U wrote:

Would have cost us a 2021 2nd to go up and get Tillman but it would have been worth it.

We don't have a 2nd round 2021 draft pick...

**** realist.
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#49 » by Dat2U » Wed Mar 3, 2021 12:14 am

NatP4 wrote:This collective board wisdom(myself included) missed on Killian Hayes

From what I saw he wasn't ready to be a PG from day one. Has good scoring instincts and solid handle but not really a PG. Not sure what Detroit was trying to but they were asking too much from jump.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#50 » by doclinkin » Wed Mar 3, 2021 12:15 am

nate33 wrote:
DCZards wrote:
payitforward wrote:Man... we were NOT getting Haliburton. Teams were warned off of him by his agent, & if they had not been warned off of him, he would have gone before #9.

I doubt the validity of the claim that Halliburton was only willing to play for Sacramento.

I’ve only seen one (maybe two) articles saying that...with absolutely no one backing that up, other than Haliburton’s agent.

If the story was true I believe it would have more legs.

Yeah. Draft him anyhow. What's he gonna do? Not sign?

Yeah I've had this argument. It's nonsense. Usually there is some scuttlebutt about this sort of thing during the draft process. ESPECIALLY in this year when we had many months before the actual draft. It is common that we hear such and such a person didn't not want to work out for a particular team or they tanked the workout etc. I have a feeling this is one reason why the Wizards commonly don't even work out the guys they draft. They don't want to prejudice the coaching staff etc over a guy they have analyzed before workouts. In the case of Haliburton, this only came out after the draft. And while the reporters who had the story are credible guys, the source seems to be the player's agent, only. It sounds like a load of happy talk for an agent trying to look good after his client slipped. Tyrese, when quoted, seemed to be putting a happy spin on it but he did seem a bit pissed:

On using being drafted No. 12 as fuel...

"Obviously I gotta find stuff to get me going. Obviously, some stuff that happened tonight that I'm not gonna forget anytime soon and I'm excited to kind of attack those things. Like I said, the teams that picked other guys, that's what they want for their organization, and it's a business. I'm not gonna complain, man, I'm in a perfect spot for me so I'm on cloud nine, I'm good."

The rest, saying we were not gonna get him because he was dead set on going to Sacramento. Come on man. That's some nonsense.
RealGM

Post#51 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Mar 3, 2021 12:25 am

NatP4 wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Belongs in the draft thread but right now Jared Butler and Davion Mitchell are getting outplayed by West Virginia’s guards.

Awesome matchup. Miles McBride is no joke!! But Butler&Mitchell are rolling now.

I want to see these guys go up against Big 10 teams. Very different styles of playing with the Big 10 teams being more post oriented.
Bye bye Beal.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,855

Post#52 » by payitforward » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:58 pm

doclinkin wrote:
nate33 wrote:
DCZards wrote:I doubt the validity of the claim that Halliburton was only willing to play for Sacramento.

I’ve only seen one (maybe two) articles saying that...with absolutely no one backing that up, other than Haliburton’s agent.

If the story was true I believe it would have more legs.

Yeah. Draft him anyhow. What's he gonna do? Not sign?

Yeah I've had this argument. It's nonsense. Usually there is some scuttlebutt about this sort of thing during the draft process. ESPECIALLY in this year when we had many months before the actual draft. It is common that we hear such and such a person didn't not want to work out for a particular team or they tanked the workout etc. I have a feeling this is one reason why the Wizards commonly don't even work out the guys they draft. They don't want to prejudice the coaching staff etc over a guy they have analyzed before workouts. In the case of Haliburton, this only came out after the draft. And while the reporters who had the story are credible guys, the source seems to be the player's agent, only. It sounds like a load of happy talk for an agent trying to look good after his client slipped. Tyrese, when quoted, seemed to be putting a happy spin on it but he did seem a bit pissed:

"Obviously I gotta find stuff to get me going. Obviously, some stuff that happened tonight that I'm not gonna forget anytime soon and I'm excited to kind of attack those things. Like I said, the teams that picked other guys, that's what they want for their organization, and it's a business. I'm not gonna complain, man, I'm in a perfect spot for me so I'm on cloud nine, I'm good."

The rest, saying we were not gonna get him because he was dead set on going to Sacramento. Come on man. That's some nonsense.

I was wrong -- these quotes from Haliburton do make it hard to believe his agent was telling teams to pass on him.

Plus it seems like two highest value picks in the draft were Haliburton & Tillman. At the very least, we should have been able to get one of them.

Either take Hali #9 or else acquire Sac'to's # 12 & #35 for our #9.

In this case, if the Suns still take Jalen Smith, we get one of Vassell or Deni at #12. If the Suns take Deni, then SA still takes Vassell. We can still do well by taking either Precious or Saddiq Bey.

Or maybe we have a backup deal with Dallas & move that #12 for their #18 & #31. We get Saddiq Bey & Tillman.

& someone at #35.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#53 » by doclinkin » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:34 pm

payitforward wrote:
doclinkin wrote:

I was wrong -- these quotes from Haliburton do make it hard to believe his agent was telling teams to pass on him.

Plus it seems like two highest value picks in the draft were Haliburton & Tillman. At the very least, we should have been able to get one of them.

Either take Hali #9 or else acquire Sac'to's # 12 & #35 for our #9.

In this case, if the Suns still take Jalen Smith, we get one of Vassell or Deni at #12. If the Suns take Deni, then SA still takes Vassell. We can still do well by taking either Precious or Saddiq Bey.

Or maybe we have a backup deal with Dallas & move that #12 for their #18 & #31. We get Saddiq Bey & Tillman.

& someone at #35.

Exactly what I had settled on after deciding I didn't like anybody too much more than anyone else. Not saying I would have been right. I liked Haliburton pretty well. He has quickly turned out better than I expected, but I did think he would be perfect next to either of Wall or Beal. We have needed a combo guard who can play either role equally well and is smart on defense. But I would have tried to squeeze Dallas hard enough to overcome my "like him pretty well" assessment of Haliburton. If I had been able to pick up the picks that would be one of of Saddiq/Precious; then Xavier Tillman in round 2, plus one Nate or the other or Paul Reed or whomever; plus Seth Curry; PLUS future properties -- I expect that would have been enough for me.

Basically for me on Draft night I would have said: okay I'm picking Haliburton, but if our guys fall to your (Dallas) first round pick, then I will listen to offers to switch. Not knowing if Xavier would be there, I would have tried for as much as I could get from them. Then been happy as a swine in sewage when XTsr did fall.

Return to Washington Wizards