ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Trade Thread -- Part XL

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,974

Re: Official Trade Thread -- Part XL 

Post#1661 » by DCZards » Sat May 8, 2021 3:21 am

Dat2U wrote:Neto is someone I don't break the bank on. One year at the bi annual exception? OK. Getting into a bidding war on a multi-year deal? Pass.

No matter what I offer the first round pick & Thomas Bryant for Christian Wood this offseason.

No way I’m trading the first round pick AND Bryant for Wood. That’s way too much for Christian.

If I’m the Zards I’m rolling into next season with a center tandem of Bryant and Gafford...and Len signed for the minimum.

As for Neto, I agree you don’t break the bank on him but you definitely try to resign him. I love his toughness, smarts, hustle and mostly consistent production.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,334

Post#1662 » by nate33 » Sat May 8, 2021 3:22 am

Dat2U wrote:No matter what I offer the first round pick & Thomas Bryant for Christian Wood this offseason.

I really like our rotation of Gafford and Bryant at center next year. If we are trying to upgrade, I think the position to focus on is small forward.
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Post#1663 » by WallToWall » Sat May 8, 2021 6:12 am

nate33 wrote:
Dat2U wrote:No matter what I offer the first round pick & Thomas Bryant for Christian Wood this offseason.

I really like our rotation of Gafford and Bryant at center next year. If we are trying to upgrade, I think the position to focus on is small forward.
I too like the Bryant, Gafford tandem. However, in those two C, we would have one coming off a major injury, and another who may be susceptible to injury. I am not yet convinced of Gafford's durability and ability to play consistent minutes. As nice of a pick up as he is, he still is a roll of the dice, in my mind.
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Post#1664 » by WallToWall » Sat May 8, 2021 6:21 am

We need two things. We need a bull in the China shop kind of player, and we need a 3rd goto player. That goto player may be one developed from amongst our young group, or we have to trade for one.
Given Shepherd's and his front office teams success in spotting talent, I have faith that he can pull something out of the bag that doesn't currenly seem obvious.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#1665 » by gambitx777 » Sat May 8, 2021 8:29 am

Gafford and Bryant are what you really want to pair together. A talented offensive center, with a long athletic do everything else guy, rim protector, shot blocker D and grind guy. Len is the perfect grout guy to fill in the gaps. Our center spot if pretty good going into next year.
WallToWall wrote:
nate33 wrote:

I too like the Bryant, Gafford tandem. However, in those two C, we would have one coming off a major injury, and another who may be susceptible to injury. I am not yet convinced of Gafford's durability and ability to play consistent minutes. As nice of a pick up as he is, he still is a roll of the dice, in my mind.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1666 » by Ruzious » Sat May 8, 2021 1:09 pm

nate33 wrote:

I just don't see any 3's out there in the draft to get excited about - can't force it if there's nobody worthy. If we could trade for Hunter, I'd be all over that, but Atl already has a stacked roster.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1667 » by nate33 » Sat May 8, 2021 1:17 pm

WallToWall wrote:
nate33 wrote:

We need a third guy, but I don't think it's a wise to invest the amount of assets necessary to pry Wood from Houston. Our third guy can be Len. Or maybe spend a little more money to bring Hook Lopez back.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1668 » by nate33 » Sat May 8, 2021 1:18 pm

Ruzious wrote:
nate33 wrote:

I just don't see any 3's out there in the draft to get excited about - can't force it if there's nobody worthy.

True.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,932

Post#1669 » by Frichuela » Sat May 8, 2021 1:24 pm

Ruzious wrote:
nate33 wrote:

I just don't see any 3's out there in the draft to get excited about - can't force it if there's nobody worthy. If we could trade for Hunter, I'd be all over that, but Atl already has a stacked roster.

Two possible vet 3&D options:

A) The return of Otto Porter…provided he is willing to sign for the MLE (or ideally a bit less).
B) Kent Bazemore, who should cost less than the MLE.

If we go this rout, we won’t be able to resign Neto or will hit the tax…would only be able to sign a vet PG for the minimum (and share the bench duties with Winston).
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#1670 » by Dat2U » Sat May 8, 2021 1:24 pm

nate33 wrote:

I think in general the board is much higher on Bryant than I am.

In a normal rebuild or if there's no hope for contention then running out Bryant as your starter might be okay.

If your serious about contending, you don't stand pat at C. You look for a defensive upgrade. Christian Wood showed me he could defend the position well while bringing the skillet of a scoring F.

Have we not see the humongous impact a defensive C has in 15-20 minutes a night?

I focus on two things. Bryant's injury and his already suspect foot speed. He already struggled mightly defending in space. Like Len & Lopez he had to play drop coverage meaning teams can scheme open shots all day against us. That's not going to improve coming off a serious injury.

I don't care how efficient or how well he spaces the floor because we're giving it right back on the other end. He'd likely get played off the floor in the playoffs.
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#1671 » by Dat2U » Sat May 8, 2021 1:29 pm

DCZards wrote:
If I’m the Zards I’m rolling into next season with a center tandem of Bryant and Gafford...and Len signed for the minimum.

That's capping the ceiling on your team. I don't think Bryant/Gafford is enough come playoff time. Not against all the good coaches in the East that will run P&Rs everyplay to force mismatches and create easy looks
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#1672 » by Dat2U » Sat May 8, 2021 1:46 pm

I think this team is 4 pieces away.

An upgrade at coach. Easiest move to make. Not hard to do better than Scott Brooks.

A legit 3rd option - Rui ain't it thus far but he's clearly the best candidate they have atm. Gotta find health and consistency tho.

A 3 & D wing with size - Even with Deni returning, this needs to be a priority. You can never have too many 3&D wings in today's game.

A two-way C that can switch on D and space the floor. This where I disagree with most on. Bryant is not a two-way big and I think we overrate his productivity. Starting Cs in general will be more productive than other players and need to be held to a higher standard--- especially on the defensive end because as the last line of defense, their impact is significant. A poor or mediocre defensive big cannot be hidden and every year in the playoffs recently, there's been multiple examples of bigs getting played off the floor because they are getting exposed in space.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1673 » by nate33 » Sat May 8, 2021 1:49 pm

Dat2U wrote:
nate33 wrote:

In a normal rebuild or if there's no hope for contention then running out Bryant as your starter might be okay.

If your serious about contending, you don't stand pat at C. You look for a defensive upgrade. Christian Wood showed me he could defend the position well while bringing the skillet of a scoring F.

Have we not see the humongous impact a defensive C has in 15-20 minutes a night?

I focus on two things. Bryant's injury and his already suspect foot speed. He already struggled mightly defending in space. Like Len & Lopez he had to play drop coverage meaning teams can scheme open shots all day against us. That's not going to improve coming off a serious injury.

I don't care how efficient or how well he spaces the floor because we're giving it right back on the other end. He'd likely get played off the floor in the playoffs.

These are fair points, but I still would be disinclined to pay what it would cost to acquire Wood.

If we are convinced that Bryant is unplayable in the playoffs, then I'd look for a lower-cost alternative, preferably a guy who can switch to give us a different defensive look. (I think Gafford is pretty much a drop guy too.) I'd be looking into free agents like Noel or Birch.

Practically speaking though, I'd wait a year before making that move. Bryant has one more year on his contract and I'd there is only so much money available to spend at that position. There's also a possibility that Rui gets better at playing center and he could be the solution to the non-Gafford minutes in the playoffs, particularly if we end up acquiring another good forward in the draft or free agency and there is a minutes crunch.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,873

Post#1674 » by payitforward » Sat May 8, 2021 2:50 pm

Dat2U wrote:If Shepp stays I expect an "all in" move this offseason with Westbrook & Beal ready to build off this new found chemistry. ... I suspect Domantas Sabonis to be a strong target. Also guys like Harrison Barnes or Jerami Grant could also be targets.

Sounds like you not only "expect an 'all in' move" but actually favor the idea -- do I have that right?

How do you imagine we would be able to acquire Domantas Sabonis? I can't think of a way -- unless Indy was interested in taking back Bertans, which seems unlikely to say the least. Otherwise, we'd have $124m going to 4 guys. Barnes & Grant are equally expensive, only they aren't particularly good players.

A move of this kind would be a colossally foolish mistake. Beyond even Ted Leonsis, I believe.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1675 » by payitforward » Sat May 8, 2021 3:06 pm

Dat2U wrote:
nate33 wrote:

Inasmuch as Bryant is injured, & if you are right that the injury will diminish him further defensively, & also given that we are talking a #15 pick, aren't you counting on Houston to be very high on Bryant too?

Houston is rebuilding. I'd say that they see Christian Wood as a key part of their core. I don't think they are trading him, dat.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1676 » by payitforward » Sat May 8, 2021 3:29 pm

Dat2U wrote:I think this team is 4 pieces away.

An upgrade at coach. Easiest move to make. Not hard to do better than Scott Brooks.

A legit 3rd option - Rui ain't it thus far but he's clearly the best candidate they have atm. Gotta find health and consistency tho.

A 3 & D wing with size - Even with Deni returning, this needs to be a priority. You can never have too many 3&D wings in today's game.

A two-way C that can switch on D and space the floor. ...

Are you thinking that, overall, this is not very far "away?" &, for that matter, "away" from what? Contending for a title?

Leave aside the issue of coach for a moment, who are 3 players in the league we could acquire to reach that goal? Guys you will acquire either via a trade or by signing in free agency.

1. Who is the 3d really high-quality starter (presumably either a 3 or a 4) it's possible for us to add?
2. Who is that 3-&-D wing?
3. Who's the two-way Center.

Suppose we did trade Bryant plus our #15 pick for Wood -- though I don't think this is possible. He gives us that 2-way Center. Now we are at 11 guys for $128.2m.

We have $8+m to add 4 guys to our roster. 1 of them has to be that good 3 & D wing. Do we still need a 3d option, or is that Wood?

How do we manage that?

Answer: we don't.
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#1677 » by Dat2U » Sat May 8, 2021 3:38 pm

payitforward wrote:
Dat2U wrote:If Shepp stays I expect an "all in" move this offseason with Westbrook & Beal ready to build off this new found chemistry. ... I suspect Domantas Sabonis to be a strong target. Also guys like Harrison Barnes or Jerami Grant could also be targets.

Sounds like you not only "expect an 'all in' move" but actually favor the idea -- do I have that right?

How do you imagine we would be able to acquire Domantas Sabonis? I can't think of a way -- unless Indy was interested in taking back Bertans, which seems unlikely to say the least. Otherwise, we'd have $124m going to 4 guys. Barnes & Grant are equally expensive, only they aren't particularly good players.

A move of this kind would be a colossally foolish mistake. Beyond even Ted Leonsis, I believe.

If Shepp stays & Beal stays I expect it. I don't necessarily support or hate the idea. Depends on who it is.

Indy is headed towards an obvious rebuild. I assume Sabonis will be moved. Do we have enough? I dunno. Would the Wizards be willing to move Deni or Rui, Bryant & a 1st to get him? Would it be enough? That's why we debate stuff like this on message boards.
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#1678 » by Dat2U » Sat May 8, 2021 3:44 pm

payitforward wrote:
Dat2U wrote:
nate33 wrote:I really like our rotation of Gafford and Bryant at center next year. If we are trying to upgrade, I think the position to focus on is small forward.

Inasmuch as Bryant is injured, & if you are right that the injury will diminish him further defensively, & also given that we are talking a #15 pick, aren't you counting on Houston to be very high on Bryant too?

Houston is rebuilding. I'd say that they see Christian Wood as a key part of their core. I don't think they are trading him, dat.

I dunno. They are hard to figure out. They seem to like late 1sts considering their haul for Harden lol. They also have our future protected 1st so that could also be a negotiating point as well.
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#1679 » by Dat2U » Sat May 8, 2021 3:53 pm

payitforward wrote:
Dat2U wrote:I think this team is 4 pieces away.

A two-way C that can switch on D and space the floor. ...

Are you thinking that, overall, this is not very far "away?" &, for that matter, "away" from what? Contending for a title?

Leave aside the issue of coach for a moment, who are 3 players in the league we could acquire to reach that goal? Guys you will acquire either via a trade or by signing in free agency.

1. Who is the 3d really high-quality starter (presumably either a 3 or a 4) it's possible for us to add?
2. Who is that 3-&-D wing?
3. Who's the two-way Center.

Suppose we did trade Bryant plus our #15 pick for Wood -- though I don't think this is possible. He gives us that 2-way Center. Now we are at 11 guys for $128.2m.

We have $8+m to add 4 guys to our roster. 1 of them has to be that good 3 & D wing. Do we still need a 3d option, or is that Wood?

How do we manage that?

Answer: we don't.

Competiting/Contending for a title. I'm sorta a one track mind in that way. That's the only way view the Wizards roster in the last decade or so. How far away are we?

I didn't say it was realistic in terms of resolving all items in one offseason but you certainly try.

In likelihood you focus on two or three, depend on internal development and patchwork the rest.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1680 » by Ruzious » Sat May 8, 2021 7:23 pm

I'm not in favor of going after Sabonis. It'll cost a ton to get him, and he's not a player you win because of. He's a very good 2 point shooter and a good enough athlete to defend the pnr, but he's not a 3 point threat that spreads the floor, and he's far from a rim protector. Actually, a prospect that Doc likes - Petrusev - might be a poor man's Sabonis - with a 3 point shot - and he could be available in mid to late 1st round - though I don't think he's quite the athlete that Sabonis is.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams

Return to Washington Wizards