Official Trade Thread -- Part XL

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,356

Re: Official Trade Thread -- Part XL 

Post#81 » by nate33 » Tue Feb 2, 2021 1:13 pm

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:A trade with Warriors that looks plausible would send them Beal + Bertans in exchange for Wiggins, Wiseman, Poole + 3 1sts (2 in 2021 + 1 in 2023).

https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/7390869

They already owe Memphis their 2024 pick, so they can't trade their 2023 pick. It would have to be the 2026 pick.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 898

Post#82 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Tue Feb 2, 2021 1:18 pm

The best package we could conceivably receive in Atlanta deal IMO would be Okongwu, Reddish, Hunter, 2021 1st.

https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/7391062
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 898

Post#83 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Tue Feb 2, 2021 1:21 pm

nate33 wrote:
SUPERBALLMAN wrote:A trade with Warriors that looks plausible would send them Beal + Bertans in exchange for Wiggins, Wiseman, Poole + 3 1sts (2 in 2021 + 1 in 2023).

They already owe Memphis their 2024 pick, so they can't trade their 2023 pick. It would have to be the 2026 pick.

Got it, thanks!

A trade with Warriors that looks plausible would send them Beal + Bertans in exchange for Wiggins, Wiseman, Poole + 3 1sts (2 in 2021 + 1 in 2026).
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#84 » by Ruzious » Tue Feb 2, 2021 2:02 pm

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:
nate33 wrote:

Got it, thanks!

A trade with Warriors that looks plausible would send them Beal + Bertans in exchange for Wiggins, Wiseman, Poole + 3 1sts (2 in 2021 + 1 in 2026).

If we can get more from them by including Bertans, let's do it.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#85 » by nate33 » Tue Feb 2, 2021 2:25 pm

Dat2U wrote:
NatP4 wrote:I don’t see anything on the Pelicans roster that would be intriguing in a Beal trade. Lewis and NAW are mediocre

Only thing they can offer is draft capital. Tons of **** picks from LA, Mil and their own (once they get Beal). We could own the bottom half of the draft for a couple years tho lol. Payit would probably freaking love it. Could probably get like 8 low firsts.

New Orleans is playing pretty bad right now and probably will be in the lottery. They're looking to trade Redick and Bledsoe, suggesting they're going to commit to tanking.

If they luck into a top 4 pick, then things get interesting. If they put together a package of picks this offseason including a 2021 lottery pick, that would probably be the best offer on the table. Even if they don't win the lottery and end up picking 9th or so, that could still be a compelling package. They have all the following picks available, with the only limitation being the Stepien Rule which states that they can never go two years in a row without a 1st round pick:

2021 NOP 1st (possibly top 4, probably in the 9-13 range)
2022 NOP 1st
2022 LAL 1st
2023 NOP 1st (best between them and LAL)
2024 NOP 1st (best between them and MIL)
2024 LAL 1st
2025 NOP 1st
2025 MIL 1st
2026 NOP 1st (best between them and MIL)
2027 NOP 1st
2027 MIL 1st

2021 CLE 2nd
2021 WAS 2nd
2021 NOP 2nd (worst between them and CHI)
2022 NOP 2nd
2023 NOP 2nd (if between 31-45)
All future NOP 2nds.

So the final deal could look something like this:

- 2021 NOP 1st
(let's assume late lotto)
- 2021 CLE 2nd
- 2022 NOP 1st

- 2023 NOP 1st (best between them and LAL)
- 2024 NOP 1st (best between them and MIL)
- 2027 MIL 1st (Giannis' contract is up in 2026)
- E.Bledsoe ($4M buyout in 2022/23 season)
- $13M TPE

The more I think about it, the more this interests me. I really don't like the way Zion moves on the basketball court, and his defense is atrocious. The chance for injury is fairly high. Adams' days are also numbered with the wear and tear he takes on. They don't have great depth and will be capped out after paying Beal, Ingram and Adams. And Stan Van Gundy is an overrated coach who hasn't adapted to the current era. It's possible that they aren't THAT good in the West over the next few years. Those picks in 2022-2024 might be in the 16-22 range rather than 25-30. And with an injury here or there, they could be in the lottery again. Likewise, with those 2023 and 2024 pick swaps with MIL and LAL incorporated, there is a non-zero chance that either MIL or LAL has a major injury which increases the value of the pick.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,904

Post#86 » by TGW » Tue Feb 2, 2021 2:39 pm

I suggested a trade to New Orleans and got no feedback but it was essentially what was suggested above except we actually get young talent in return:

https://i.ibb.co/QpxVk7w/tradenba-snap-1611433030853.png
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#87 » by nate33 » Tue Feb 2, 2021 2:48 pm

TGW wrote:I suggested a trade to New Orleans and got no feedback but it was essentially what was suggested above except we actually get young talent in return:

https://i.ibb.co/QpxVk7w/tradenba-snap-1611433030853.png

Yeah, I initially dismissed it because I wasn't at all interested in those LAL or MIL picks. But I hadn't really broken down the pick possibilities until now. The neat thing is that those picks from MIL and LAL allow them to trade all of their own picks without being encumbered by the Stepien Rule.

But more importantly, I hadn't really considered the likelihood of them landing in the lottery this year. Obviously, if they land a top 4 pick, then it's extremely compelling. It's a deal where we would have to wait until the offseason to contemplate. But if things break right, it might be the best option.

I'm less excited about their young players. I suppose it can't hurt to take a flyer on Hayes and Lewis.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#88 » by payitforward » Tue Feb 2, 2021 2:55 pm

Dat2U wrote:
NatP4 wrote:I don’t see anything on the Pelicans roster that would be intriguing in a Beal trade. Lewis and NAW are mediocre

Only thing they can offer is draft capital. Tons of **** picks from LA, Mil and their own (once they get Beal). We could own the bottom half of the draft for a couple years tho lol. Payit would probably freaking love it. Could probably get like 8 low firsts.

:) I probably would. But, that's only because I have this irrational preference for good players. :)

It's hard to imagine many people as foolish as I am, however: I mean, if you had the #4 pick in this last draft, meaning you could nab a prospect like Patrick Williams, would you be silly enough to trade it for, say, the #20, #26 & for heaven's sake a worthless R2 pick like #35? I mean... come on... instead of Patrick Williams you'd be stuck with Precious Achiuwa, Payton Pritchard & Xavier Tillman.

Who would make a fool move like that, I wonder?

Of course, that's only this draft, right? There might be others where that kind of trade would yield better results. Let's take a random year -- how about 2008? Hold on, let me look.... Wow! Do you realize that if you'd had the #3 pick that year you would have come home with O.J. Mayo -- trade down for 3 picks in the bottom of R1 & in R2? No way!! You'd be stuck with Serge Ibaka, Nic Batum & DeAndre Jordan! Who would do that deal? Not I -- not even if the #45 was thrown in (Goran Dragic).

Of course, it wasn't just Mayo who was a tremendous bargain in the lottery that year -- there was Michael Beasley at #2. The whole thing becomes clear if you simply look at the list of tremendous players taken from #7 to #14, the end of the lottery: Eric Gordon, Joe Alexander, D.J. Augustin, Brook Lopez, Jerryd Bayless, Jason Thompson, Brandon Rush & Anthony Randolph.

Why would anyone want 2 players like Ryan Anderson (#21) & George Hill (#26) when he could be smart & grab 1 of those lottery-level talents?

By the way... it's pretty much the same every year.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#89 » by Ruzious » Tue Feb 2, 2021 2:56 pm

NO doesn't have a centerpiece to trade - and pieces like NAW and Jaxon Hayes and Ball haven't shown much - if any - improvement - though I think NAW will. It's possible that some of those Milwaukee picks pay off - because if anything happens to Giannis, Milwaukee is done. But I don't see the Wiz trading Beal without getting a centerpiece asset.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#90 » by nate33 » Tue Feb 2, 2021 3:00 pm

Ruzious wrote:NO doesn't have a centerpiece to trade - and pieces like NAW and Jaxon Hayes and Ball haven't shown much - if any - improvement - though I think NAW will. It's possible that some of those Milwaukee picks pay off - because if anything happens to Giannis, Milwaukee is done. But I don't see the Wiz trading Beal without getting a centerpiece asset.

If they land a top 4 spot in the lottery, they have a centerpiece. If they end up with the #9 pick in the lottery, then it's debatable.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,318

Post#91 » by NatP4 » Tue Feb 2, 2021 3:25 pm

Man, I sure hope we don’t miss out on the Ryan Anderson of this draft.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#92 » by Dat2U » Tue Feb 2, 2021 3:28 pm

nate33 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:NO doesn't have a centerpiece to trade - and pieces like NAW and Jaxon Hayes and Ball haven't shown much - if any - improvement - though I think NAW will. It's possible that some of those Milwaukee picks pay off - because if anything happens to Giannis, Milwaukee is done. But I don't see the Wiz trading Beal without getting a centerpiece asset.

If they land a top 4 spot in the lottery, they have a centerpiece. If they end up with the #9 pick in the lottery, then it's debatable.

I wouldnt consider a late lotto pick as a centerpiece.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#93 » by nate33 » Tue Feb 2, 2021 3:35 pm

Dat2U wrote:
nate33 wrote:

Right now, they're the 5th worst record in the league. Assuming one team leapfrogs them, that's the 6th pick in the draft. Is that a centerpiece? Particularly if it comes with 4 more picks (not merely pick swaps) - picks that will probably be in the 15-24 range, not 25-30.
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#94 » by Dat2U » Tue Feb 2, 2021 3:41 pm

payitforward wrote:
Dat2U wrote:

:) I probably would. But, that's only because I have this irrational preference for good players. :)

It's hard to imagine many people as foolish as I am, however: I mean, if you had the #4 pick in this last draft, meaning you could nab a prospect like Patrick Williams, would you be silly enough to trade it for, say, the #20, #26 & for heaven's sake a worthless R2 pick like #35? I mean... come on... instead of Patrick Williams you'd be stuck with Precious Achiuwa, Payton Pritchard & Xavier Tillman.

Who would make a fool move like that, I wonder?

Of course, that's only this draft, right? There might be others where that kind of trade would yield better results. Let's take a random year -- how about 2008? Hold on, let me look.... Wow! Do you realize that if you'd had the #3 pick that year you would have come home with O.J. Mayo -- trade down for 3 picks in the bottom of R1 & in R2? No way!! You'd be stuck with Serge Ibaka, Nic Batum & DeAndre Jordan! Who would do that deal? Not I -- not even if the #45 was thrown in (Goran Dragic).

Of course, it wasn't just Mayo who was a tremendous bargain in the lottery that year -- there was Michael Beasley at #2. The whole thing becomes clear if you simply look at the list of tremendous players taken from #7 to #14, the end of the lottery: Eric Gordon, Joe Alexander, D.J. Augustin, Brook Lopez, Jerryd Bayless, Jason Thompson, Brandon Rush & Anthony Randolph.

Why would anyone want 2 players like Ryan Anderson (#21) & George Hill (#26) when he could be smart & grab 1 of those lottery-level talents?

By the way... it's pretty much the same every year.

I'm sorry, I don't get overly excited about collecting role players in volume in the draft. This is not football and putting significant resources into the later picks does not lead you to find the next Tom Brady. If you get lucky, maybe you'll find a solid role player.

If we had the 4th pick in this draft? I would have traded up one spot for Melo. Hornets only took Melo as a fallback b/c they couldn't get Wiseman. I long held Melo was easily the best prospect in the draft.

Despite everything you've said, I will always prefer to trade up vs down. In 2019 I thought the draft was upside down enough where a trade down made sense but if there's guy your really high on after doing your homework... go up and get him if you can.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Post#95 » by pcbothwel » Tue Feb 2, 2021 3:44 pm

nate33 wrote:

Really? I dont think its that debatable. A top 10 pick along with unprotected picks over the next 4-5 years is easily better than the Jrue package. I cant believe some people are ok with a unprotected pick 5 years from now from an elite organization like Miami has any value... but an inept franchise in a terrible market like NOP is not a GREAT bet.

Yes, Ingram looks to be a solid AS... but Zion is quietly screaming Ben Simmons to me.
Terrible/Lazy defender with more turnovers than assist and negative on/off numbers. He's a 4/5 that grab less rebounds than Russ or even Robin Lopez. Lamelo is a better rebounder than Zion.

His bloated TS/efficiency is due to the fact that he's an agile/physical freak that takes 95% of this shots within 10 feet of the rim. That shot chart is Drummond/Capela/Biyombo/Kanter/Dwight territory.

He's still a plus player, no doubt... but he's not looking generational in any sense of the word.
I could see Beal walking away in FA from that team too. I have no faith in SVG and Griffin to build a winner.
I dont trust them defensively, I dont trust their management, and I dont trust their market... all 3 are a great combo for us to bet on a high pick in the coming years.
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#96 » by Dat2U » Tue Feb 2, 2021 3:45 pm

nate33 wrote:
Dat2U wrote:
nate33 wrote:If they land a top 4 spot in the lottery, they have a centerpiece. If they end up with the #9 pick in the lottery, then it's debatable.

Right now, they're the 5th worst record in the league. Assuming one team leapfrogs them, that's the 6th pick in the draft. Is that a centerpiece? Particularly if it comes with 4 more picks (not merely pick swaps) - picks that will probably be in the 15-24 range, not 25-30.

Meh. Not really. If I know the results of the draft post lottery, I wouldn't settle for the 6th pick ++ for Beal. NO would need to trade up and get a higher pick to get me interested.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,318

Post#97 » by NatP4 » Tue Feb 2, 2021 4:09 pm

Wonder if the Knicks get involved with Quickley/Barrett/Randle+ both 2021 1sts.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#98 » by Ruzious » Tue Feb 2, 2021 4:18 pm

pcbothwel wrote:
nate33 wrote:

Really? I dont think its that debatable. A top 10 pick along with unprotected picks over the next 4-5 years is easily better than the Jrue package. I cant believe some people are ok with a unprotected pick 5 years from now from an elite organization like Miami has any value... but an inept franchise in a terrible market like NOP is not a GREAT bet.

Yes, Ingram looks to be a solid AS... but Zion is quietly screaming Ben Simmons to me.
Terrible/Lazy defender with more turnovers than assist and negative on/off numbers. He's a 4/5 that grab less rebounds than Russ or even Robin Lopez. Lamelo is a better rebounder than Zion.

His bloated TS/efficiency is due to the fact that he's an agile/physical freak that takes 95% of this shots within 10 feet of the rim. That shot chart is Drummond/Capela/Biyombo/Kanter/Dwight territory.

He's still a plus player, no doubt... but he's not looking generational in any sense of the word.
I could see Beal walking away in FA from that team too. I have no faith in SVG and Griffin to build a winner.
I dont trust them defensively, I dont trust their management, and I dont trust their market... all 3 are a great combo for us to bet on a high pick in the coming years.

Zion is putting up all-star level stats at age 20, but yeah - he does need to improve his jump shot a lot to become a superstar. And he probably would benefit by losing 20 lbs or so. He looked to me every bit of the 284 he's listed at. With the NBA so fast-paced, he's a knee injury waiting to happen. Imagine taking a charge from him. Of course, if NO wants to trade Zion for Beal... I'm good with that. :)
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#99 » by Ruzious » Tue Feb 2, 2021 4:28 pm

NatP4 wrote:Wonder if the Knicks get involved with Quickley/Barrett/Randle+ both 2021 1sts.

Surprising that the Dallas pick is at 6 now. Randle's putting up ridiculous numbers - they probably want to keep him.
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,974

Post#100 » by DCZards » Tue Feb 2, 2021 5:20 pm

I’d be opposed to any trade of Beal that led to the Zards only getting draft picks in return. They need to come away with at least one young high-potential player in any trade of Beal.

The AD trade yielded Brandon Ingram for New Orleans, who made the all-star team his first year in NO. When OKC traded Paul George, they received SGA, who is looking like a future all-star. That’s the kind of talent I’m hoping the Zards can get in a Beal trade.

There are too many unknowns in the draft (where will the pick fall, who will be available at that pick, how good is that player going to be in the NBA) for me to feel good about a trade of BB that resulted in the Zards only getting draft picks.

If we MUST trade BB, I’d be interested in any of these young players along with at least two high draft picks: Wiseman & Wiggins; Michael Porter Jr,. (although his health scares me); Herro, Robinson & Achiuwa; Hunter, Okongwu & Reddish.

Return to Washington Wizards