ImageImageImageImageImage

NBA Games Discussion Thread - Part 5

Moderators: LyricalRico, montestewart, nate33

User avatar
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
Posts: 48,494
And1: 6,873
Joined: Aug 05, 2001
Location: Mililani, Hawaii (Oahu)
Contact:
       

Re: NBA Games Discussion Thread - Part 5 

Post#141 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed May 26, 2021 5:00 pm

FAH1223 wrote:Clippers in trouble. Probably losing in 5 or 6.

Luka is unstoppable. Tim Hardaway had damn near 30.

If I was Ty Lue, I'd play Mann more minutes. Play Ibaka more. And I'd have a short leesh on both Beverly and Jackson. Esp Beverly.


WATCH CLOSELY...

I think there's a chance Paul George can be acquired very cheaply when this series is over. CAPOLOGISTS?

I think a Russ/PG trade might be hard to fathom but I can see it being a MAYBE...

DISCLAIMER: no, I am not saying I want Russ trade or that I want PG a Wizard... Just seems to me it would be a trade for a guy from LA to consider. They are around the same age, right?
Chocolate City Jordanaire
/ ccjken
/ @CCJKen1 on Twitter

In the 808 state as ESPN 1420 caller: “Ken from Maryland”
User avatar
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
Posts: 48,494
And1: 6,873
Joined: Aug 05, 2001
Location: Mililani, Hawaii (Oahu)
Contact:
       

Re: NBA Games Discussion Thread - Part 5 

Post#142 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed May 26, 2021 5:06 pm

Boston LOSING IN A SWEEP COULD BE FORTUITOUS...

If they fire Brad Stevens, the Wizards could go from SB to BS coaching.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
/ ccjken
/ @CCJKen1 on Twitter

In the 808 state as ESPN 1420 caller: “Ken from Maryland”
User avatar
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 59,888
And1: 12,574
Joined: Oct 28, 2002

Re: NBA Games Discussion Thread - Part 5 

Post#143 » by nate33 » Wed May 26, 2021 5:34 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:Clippers in trouble. Probably losing in 5 or 6.

Luka is unstoppable. Tim Hardaway had damn near 30.

If I was Ty Lue, I'd play Mann more minutes. Play Ibaka more. And I'd have a short leesh on both Beverly and Jackson. Esp Beverly.


WATCH CLOSELY...

I think there's a chance Paul George can be acquired very cheaply when this series is over. CAPOLOGISTS?

I think a Russ/PG trade might be hard to fathom but I can see it being a MAYBE...

DISCLAIMER: no, I am not saying I want Russ trade or that I want PG a Wizard... Just seems to me it would be a trade for a guy from LA to consider. They are around the same age, right?

That's an interesting thought.

My first instinct is that that would be a steal for us. But the more I think about it, the more I'd hesitate a little. Westbrook's efficiency numbers may suck, but you absolutely have to factor the incredible efficiency of our centers when assessing Westbrook's offensive contribution. Westbrook absolutely FEEDS those guys.

I guess it would boil down to whether or not we could find a suitable replacement at starting PG.

Hmmm. Giddey?

PG Giddey/Neto
SG Beal/Mathews
SF P.George/Avdija
PF Hachimura/Bertans
C Gafford/Bryant

:o

Paul George is only 31 and should have 3 or 4 good years left.
User avatar
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
Posts: 48,494
And1: 6,873
Joined: Aug 05, 2001
Location: Mililani, Hawaii (Oahu)
Contact:
       

Re: NBA Games Discussion Thread - Part 5 

Post#144 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed May 26, 2021 7:31 pm

I will send Russ and Bill to Los Angeles. Bradley Beal not Bill I just don’t feel like typing right now because my eyeballs are Herton hurting
Chocolate City Jordanaire
/ ccjken
/ @CCJKen1 on Twitter

In the 808 state as ESPN 1420 caller: “Ken from Maryland”
User avatar
queridiculo
RealGM
Posts: 15,653
And1: 6,950
Joined: Mar 29, 2005
Location: Maximum Pain Zone
   

Re: NBA Games Discussion Thread - Part 5 

Post#145 » by queridiculo » Wed May 26, 2021 7:36 pm

nate33 wrote:That's an interesting thought.

My first instinct is that that would be a steal for us. But the more I think about it, the more I'd hesitate a little. Westbrook's efficiency numbers may suck, but you absolutely have to factor the incredible efficiency of our centers when assessing Westbrook's offensive contribution. Westbrook absolutely FEEDS those guys.

I guess it would boil down to whether or not we could find a suitable replacement at starting PG.

Hmmm. Giddey?

PG Giddey/Neto
SG Beal/Mathews
SF P.George/Avdija
PF Hachimura/Bertans
C Gafford/Bryant

:o

Paul George is only 31 and should have 3 or 4 good years left.


What's the thinking for the Clippers here, take a flyer to clear Paul George's salary?
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 44,704
And1: 9,222
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: NBA Games Discussion Thread - Part 5 

Post#146 » by Ruzious » Wed May 26, 2021 7:56 pm

nate33 wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:Clippers in trouble. Probably losing in 5 or 6.

Luka is unstoppable. Tim Hardaway had damn near 30.

If I was Ty Lue, I'd play Mann more minutes. Play Ibaka more. And I'd have a short leesh on both Beverly and Jackson. Esp Beverly.


WATCH CLOSELY...

I think there's a chance Paul George can be acquired very cheaply when this series is over. CAPOLOGISTS?

I think a Russ/PG trade might be hard to fathom but I can see it being a MAYBE...

DISCLAIMER: no, I am not saying I want Russ trade or that I want PG a Wizard... Just seems to me it would be a trade for a guy from LA to consider. They are around the same age, right?

That's an interesting thought.

My first instinct is that that would be a steal for us. But the more I think about it, the more I'd hesitate a little. Westbrook's efficiency numbers may suck, but you absolutely have to factor the incredible efficiency of our centers when assessing Westbrook's offensive contribution. Westbrook absolutely FEEDS those guys.

I guess it would boil down to whether or not we could find a suitable replacement at starting PG.

Hmmm. Giddey?

PG Giddey/Neto
SG Beal/Mathews
SF P.George/Avdija
PF Hachimura/Bertans
C Gafford/Bryant

:o

Paul George is only 31 and should have 3 or 4 good years left.

Yeah, I'd do that trade. Giddey won't be ready to start as a rookie, so I'd trade one of our forwards for a guard. With Beal and George, we don't need a ball-dominant PG - just a good ball-handler with some speed who can hit 3's and defend. I'm not sure who that'd be, but there's probably somebody they can get to fit that role.

Edit: Trade Rui or Deni for Garland or Sexton from Cleveland. There's been talk that they're not a good fit - because they're both small - though I think Sexton plays a lot bigger than his listed size. Whoa, looking at Sexton's stats, we're not going to get him. Settle for Garland.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
User avatar
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 59,888
And1: 12,574
Joined: Oct 28, 2002

Re: NBA Games Discussion Thread - Part 5 

Post#147 » by nate33 » Wed May 26, 2021 7:59 pm

queridiculo wrote:
nate33 wrote:That's an interesting thought.

My first instinct is that that would be a steal for us. But the more I think about it, the more I'd hesitate a little. Westbrook's efficiency numbers may suck, but you absolutely have to factor the incredible efficiency of our centers when assessing Westbrook's offensive contribution. Westbrook absolutely FEEDS those guys.

I guess it would boil down to whether or not we could find a suitable replacement at starting PG.

Hmmm. Giddey?

PG Giddey/Neto
SG Beal/Mathews
SF P.George/Avdija
PF Hachimura/Bertans
C Gafford/Bryant

:o

Paul George is only 31 and should have 3 or 4 good years left.


What's the thinking for the Clippers here, take a flyer to clear Paul George's salary?

The thinking in LA would be that the current thing isn't working so SOMETHING must be done.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,973
And1: 2,001
Joined: Jun 12, 2010
     

Re: NBA Games Discussion Thread - Part 5 

Post#148 » by pcbothwel » Wed May 26, 2021 8:09 pm

Ruzious wrote:
nate33 wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
WATCH CLOSELY...

I think there's a chance Paul George can be acquired very cheaply when this series is over. CAPOLOGISTS?

I think a Russ/PG trade might be hard to fathom but I can see it being a MAYBE...

DISCLAIMER: no, I am not saying I want Russ trade or that I want PG a Wizard... Just seems to me it would be a trade for a guy from LA to consider. They are around the same age, right?

That's an interesting thought.

My first instinct is that that would be a steal for us. But the more I think about it, the more I'd hesitate a little. Westbrook's efficiency numbers may suck, but you absolutely have to factor the incredible efficiency of our centers when assessing Westbrook's offensive contribution. Westbrook absolutely FEEDS those guys.

I guess it would boil down to whether or not we could find a suitable replacement at starting PG.

Hmmm. Giddey?

PG Giddey/Neto
SG Beal/Mathews
SF P.George/Avdija
PF Hachimura/Bertans
C Gafford/Bryant

:o

Paul George is only 31 and should have 3 or 4 good years left.

Yeah, I'd do that trade. Giddey won't be ready to start as a rookie, so I'd trade one of our forwards for a guard. With Beal and George, we don't need a ball-dominant PG - just a good ball-handler with some speed who can hit 3's and defend. I'm not sure who that'd be, but there's probably somebody they can get to fit that role.


Russ + Rui for PG13 + Pat Bev
Plus a 2022 Pick swap, top 10 protected.
User avatar
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 59,888
And1: 12,574
Joined: Oct 28, 2002

Re: NBA Games Discussion Thread - Part 5 

Post#149 » by nate33 » Wed May 26, 2021 8:23 pm

Ruzious wrote:
nate33 wrote:Hmmm. Giddey?

PG Giddey/Neto
SG Beal/Mathews
SF P.George/Avdija
PF Hachimura/Bertans
C Gafford/Bryant

:o

Paul George is only 31 and should have 3 or 4 good years left.

Yeah, I'd do that trade. Giddey won't be ready to start as a rookie, so I'd trade one of our forwards for a guard. With Beal and George, we don't need a ball-dominant PG - just a good ball-handler with some speed who can hit 3's and defend. I'm not sure who that'd be, but there's probably somebody they can get to fit that role.

Edit: Trade Rui or Deni for Garland or Sexton from Cleveland. There's been talk that they're not a good fit - because they're both small - though I think Sexton plays a lot bigger than his listed size.

The other option would be to spend more money on the backup PG. Instead of the vet minimum on Neto, pay the full MLE for a veteran PG who will slowly cede the position to Giddey over the next two years.

I don't know if Lowry would take that kind of pay cut. Lonzo Ball and Dinwiddie would probably cost more. Maybe Devonte Graham?
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 44,704
And1: 9,222
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: NBA Games Discussion Thread - Part 5 

Post#150 » by Ruzious » Wed May 26, 2021 8:41 pm

nate33 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
nate33 wrote:Hmmm. Giddey?

PG Giddey/Neto
SG Beal/Mathews
SF P.George/Avdija
PF Hachimura/Bertans
C Gafford/Bryant

:o

Paul George is only 31 and should have 3 or 4 good years left.

Yeah, I'd do that trade. Giddey won't be ready to start as a rookie, so I'd trade one of our forwards for a guard. With Beal and George, we don't need a ball-dominant PG - just a good ball-handler with some speed who can hit 3's and defend. I'm not sure who that'd be, but there's probably somebody they can get to fit that role.

Edit: Trade Rui or Deni for Garland or Sexton from Cleveland. There's been talk that they're not a good fit - because they're both small - though I think Sexton plays a lot bigger than his listed size.

The other option would be to spend more money on the backup PG. Instead of the vet minimum on Neto, pay the full MLE for a veteran PG who will slowly cede the position to Giddey over the next two years.

I don't know if Lowry would take that kind of pay cut. Lonzo Ball and Dinwiddie would probably cost more. Maybe Devonte Graham?

Lowry sounds like the kind of guy who's going to go to the highest bidder. I like Graham - but as a 3rd guard - not a starter. I'm going with a trade of Deni for Garland. I think it makes sense for both teams, and Cleveland can get a big guard to go with Sexton. Might as well do a full plan. I'll trade the 15th pick for a low 1st and early 2nd (and a future 2nd) - picking Petrusev and Jay Huff. I'll go with:

PG: Garland, Neto, Lin
SG: Beal, Mathews
SF: George, Bertans, Hauser
PF: Rui, Petrusev, Gill
C: Gafford, Bryant, Huff
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
User avatar
doclinkin
RealGM
Posts: 10,740
And1: 2,940
Joined: Jul 26, 2004
Location: .wizuds.

Re: NBA Games Discussion Thread - Part 5 

Post#151 » by doclinkin » Wed May 26, 2021 10:18 pm

Ruzious wrote:
nate33 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Yeah, I'd do that trade. Giddey won't be ready to start as a rookie, so I'd trade one of our forwards for a guard. With Beal and George, we don't need a ball-dominant PG - just a good ball-handler with some speed who can hit 3's and defend. I'm not sure who that'd be, but there's probably somebody they can get to fit that role.

Edit: Trade Rui or Deni for Garland or Sexton from Cleveland. There's been talk that they're not a good fit - because they're both small - though I think Sexton plays a lot bigger than his listed size.

The other option would be to spend more money on the backup PG. Instead of the vet minimum on Neto, pay the full MLE for a veteran PG who will slowly cede the position to Giddey over the next two years.

I don't know if Lowry would take that kind of pay cut. Lonzo Ball and Dinwiddie would probably cost more. Maybe Devonte Graham?

Lowry sounds like the kind of guy who's going to go to the highest bidder. I like Graham - but as a 3rd guard - not a starter. I'm going with a trade of Deni for Garland. I think it makes sense for both teams, and Cleveland can get a big guard to go with Sexton. Might as well do a full plan. I'll trade the 15th pick for a low 1st and early 2nd (and a future 2nd) - picking Petrusev and Jay Huff. I'll go with:

PG: Garland, Neto, Lin
SG: Beal, Mathews
SF: George, Bertans, Hauser
PF: Rui, Petrusev, Gill
C: Gafford, Bryant, Huff


I'd love Garland with Beal (his AAU coach and mentor). This would be a fun team to cheer for.
User avatar
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
Posts: 48,494
And1: 6,873
Joined: Aug 05, 2001
Location: Mililani, Hawaii (Oahu)
Contact:
       

Re: NBA Games Discussion Thread - Part 5 

Post#152 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu May 27, 2021 12:15 am

I am surprised that we’re virtually unanimous liking a possible deal with LAC.

I’m hoping like heck they get swept by the Mavericks.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
/ ccjken
/ @CCJKen1 on Twitter

In the 808 state as ESPN 1420 caller: “Ken from Maryland”
User avatar
FAH1223
RealGM
Posts: 12,001
And1: 4,562
Joined: Nov 01, 2005
Location: Laurel, MD
       

Re: NBA Games Discussion Thread - Part 5 

Post#153 » by FAH1223 » Thu May 27, 2021 7:37 am

Image
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 44,704
And1: 9,222
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: NBA Games Discussion Thread - Part 5 

Post#154 » by Ruzious » Thu May 27, 2021 11:53 am

Grats to NY and Coach Thibbs on pulling a comeback win over Atlanta. NY played better defense than the sum of their parts. Player known for poor defense were effective. And a smart strong veteran - Taj Gibson - was terrific - it's so important to have someone like him when you're under-manned - which they were - against a more talented Hawks team. And beating a bigger team 13 to 6 on offensive rebounds was a key. Even a guy like Alec Burks stood out with the hustle plays.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
User avatar
queridiculo
RealGM
Posts: 15,653
And1: 6,950
Joined: Mar 29, 2005
Location: Maximum Pain Zone
   

Re: NBA Games Discussion Thread - Part 5 

Post#155 » by queridiculo » Thu May 27, 2021 12:37 pm

Ruzious wrote:Grats to NY and Coach Thibbs on pulling a comeback win over Atlanta. NY played better defense than the sum of their parts. Player known for poor defense were effective. And a smart strong veteran - Taj Gibson - was terrific - it's so important to have someone like him when you're under-manned - which they were - against a more talented Hawks team. And beating a bigger team 13 to 6 on offensive rebounds was a key. Even a guy like Alec Burks stood out with the hustle plays.


Yeah, I was impressed by Gibson. Took me by surprise how good he still looks out there.
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 44,704
And1: 9,222
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: NBA Games Discussion Thread - Part 5 

Post#156 » by Ruzious » Thu May 27, 2021 12:52 pm

queridiculo wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Grats to NY and Coach Thibbs on pulling a comeback win over Atlanta. NY played better defense than the sum of their parts. Player known for poor defense were effective. And a smart strong veteran - Taj Gibson - was terrific - it's so important to have someone like him when you're under-manned - which they were - against a more talented Hawks team. And beating a bigger team 13 to 6 on offensive rebounds was a key. Even a guy like Alec Burks stood out with the hustle plays.


Yeah, I was impressed by Gibson. Took me by surprise how good he still looks out there.

A guy like him would be very useful for the Wiz right now. Millsap for Denver is another one.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM
Posts: 16,466
And1: 5,294
Joined: May 02, 2012
Location: On the Atlantic

Re: NBA Games Discussion Thread - Part 5 

Post#157 » by payitforward » Thu May 27, 2021 1:08 pm

At 35 - going on 36 - years old, Taj Gibson had what might be the best year of his long career. Would be for sure, if he'd played more minutes. He didn't score much, but his scoring was outstandingly efficient (.66+ TS%), & the rest of his numbers were stellar. All that on a vet minimum salary.

Speaking of salaries... I just looked at what the Knicks are paying this year. It's an amazing picture.

Overall, they are at only $100m in salaries this season. But, @$21m of that is dead salary -- $ paid to players not with the team. Their actual roster, the guys who are playing for them, are being paid a total of just under $79m.

Edit -- The entire Knicks roster, all 15 players, made @$1m more this year, overall, than we paid Russ & Brad !!

Scott Perry has done an amazing job of straightening things out in NY.
Remember -- if you don't like the post above: blame Doc not me.
User avatar
Dark Faze
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,835
And1: 1,698
Joined: Dec 27, 2008

Re: NBA Games Discussion Thread - Part 5 

Post#158 » by Dark Faze » Thu May 27, 2021 1:22 pm

John Collins has not been impressive this post season given it's a contract year.

Trae Young is a maestro.

Brandon Clarke has fallen out of the rotation in Memphis.

The Clippers need to put their best gamers on the floor.

Rondo
Pat Bev
Kawhi
George
Ibaka

Ibaka averaging as few minutes as he has seems like a throw. He's the best rim protector and provides stretch ability. I can't see the justification for such limited minutes.
payitforward
RealGM
Posts: 16,466
And1: 5,294
Joined: May 02, 2012
Location: On the Atlantic

Re: NBA Games Discussion Thread - Part 5 

Post#159 » by payitforward » Thu May 27, 2021 1:34 pm

Ruzious wrote:
queridiculo wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Grats to NY and Coach Thibbs on pulling a comeback win over Atlanta. NY played better defense than the sum of their parts. Player known for poor defense were effective. And a smart strong veteran - Taj Gibson - was terrific - it's so important to have someone like him when you're under-manned - which they were - against a more talented Hawks team. And beating a bigger team 13 to 6 on offensive rebounds was a key. Even a guy like Alec Burks stood out with the hustle plays.


Yeah, I was impressed by Gibson. Took me by surprise how good he still looks out there.

A guy like him would be very useful for the Wiz right now. Millsap for Denver is another one.

Except Millsap made $10m this year -- he'll go down next year but not to vet minimum.
Remember -- if you don't like the post above: blame Doc not me.
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 44,704
And1: 9,222
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: NBA Games Discussion Thread - Part 5 

Post#160 » by Ruzious » Thu May 27, 2021 1:50 pm

payitforward wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
queridiculo wrote:
Yeah, I was impressed by Gibson. Took me by surprise how good he still looks out there.

A guy like him would be very useful for the Wiz right now. Millsap for Denver is another one.

Except Millsap made $10m this year -- he'll go down next year but not to vet minimum.

I'm just talking about the type of player they are right now for surviving in the playoffs - not what it would cost to get them.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams

Return to Washington Wizards