nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,302

Wizards Analytics: A Safe Space for Nerds 

Post#1 » by nate33 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:57 pm

I came across this fascinating article in the Athletic:

Read on Twitter

Basically, it assesses the quality of all shot attempts based on the expected eFG% from any spot on the floor when factoring distance from the rim and distance from the closest defender. It also factors time left on the shot clock. (Shot quality declines as you approach the end of the shot clocks because players become less judicious about passing up mediocre shots in the hopes of a slightly better one later.)

Among some of the interesting findings is that, as one would expect, individual players with higher usage take more difficult shots.

Also, those with high usage are typically better at making difficult shots, which is why their coaches allow them to take them:

The team data is interesting. Some teams, like Houston, do well on offense by creating good shots, even if they don't shoot all that well. Other teams, like the Clippers, may not create such great shots, but they're such good shot makers that things work anyhow. The Wizards rank 20th in shot quality. Their expected eFG% based on the quality of shot is 54.2%. Unfortunately, they're also quite bad at making shots - ranking 22nd in shot making and shooting 2.4% worse than expected based on quality of shots. The end result is that they rank 23rd in eFG%. I wish he posted the data from last year. I'd like to think that the Wizards actually have some pretty good shot makers and in a normal year would shoot above their expected eFG%. But maybe I'm wrong.

Defensively, the situation is completely different. The Wizards are the best team in the league at forcing opponents to shoot the wrong shots. You heard that right. Their expected opponent eFG% of 53.2%, which leads the league! But at the same time, the Wizards are a wild outlier in opponent shotmaking. Opponents are shooting an unbelievable 3% better then expected based on their shot quality. This is the worst "variance" in the league... by a lot. The next "unluckiest" team are the Pistons whose opponents shoot 1.8% better than expected. After that, nobody else has worse variance than 0.6%. Thanks to the Wizards' variance, they manage to post the worst eFG% in the league despite ostensibly allowing the least desirable shot profile!

It's notable that great defenses like Utah and LA post merely so-so opponent shot profiles but manage exceptional opponent eFG% thanks to massively negative "variance". Teams are shooting worse than they "should" based on their shot profile. So something else must be at play. Clearly, there is some other factor that is causing Wizards opponents to make shots at a better than expected rate (and Utah opponents to miss them at a worse than expected rate) that isn't captured by shot location, proximity of defender, and time remaining on the shot clock. Maybe the Wizards are allowing the wrong shooters to shoot. Or somehow they allow shooters to feel more comfortable even though the data says our defenders are still nearby. Maybe our opponents are allowed to step in to their shot instead of being off balance. Our lack of rim protection surely plays a role. Shooting a floater over a big man looks the same in a statistical shot chart, but it's harder to shoot over Rudy Gobert than Mo Wagner. But I suspect our problems exist out on the perimeter too. And they're not so easily explainable.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,345

Re: Some analytics on the Wizards offense and defense: 

Post#2 » by doclinkin » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:35 pm

They are easily explainable by Brook's predilection for small fast guards. A quick-footed guard can stay in front of an attacker to prevent penetration, but if you pull up to shoot over him he has no chance to bother your shot. This remains the same on the outside where teams seem to feast on us with three point shots even when we run to challenge them. Beal is not of above average height, nor is Westbrook, especially when injured, Ish and Neto are short even for the position. We are not notably long at any position, therefore we don't intimidate any player who chooses to shoot over us.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#3 » by nate33 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:46 pm

doclinkin wrote:They are easily explainable by Brook's predilection for small fast guards. A quick-footed guard can stay in front of an attacker to prevent penetration, but if you pull up to shoot over him he has no chance to bother your shot. This remains the same on the outside where teams seem to feast on us with three point shots even when we run to challenge them. Beal is not of above average height, nor is Westbrook, especially when injured, Ish and Neto are short even for the position. We are not notably long at any position, therefore we don't intimidate any player who chooses to shoot over us.

Hmmm. That would probably be a nice addition to Seth Partnow's database. Not only factor the distance to the closest defender, but also include the height (or better yet, the standing reach).
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#4 » by nate33 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:49 pm

doclinkin wrote:They are easily explainable by Brook's predilection for small fast guards. A quick-footed guard can stay in front of an attacker to prevent penetration, but if you pull up to shoot over him he has no chance to bother your shot. This remains the same on the outside where teams seem to feast on us with three point shots even when we run to challenge them. Beal is not of above average height, nor is Westbrook, especially when injured, Ish and Neto are short even for the position. We are not notably long at any position, therefore we don't intimidate any player who chooses to shoot over us.

I suppose another factor is our propensity to lazily switch on defense far too often. It's not just that we play small guards, our scheme allows them to switch far too often onto bigs (or allows our big plodders to switch far too often onto guards). The shot chart says we still have a defender nearby, but a post player isn't bothered by Ish Smith or Bradley Beal, and a guy like Damian Lillard isn't too challenged when Alex Len switches out onto him on the perimeter.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,927

Post#5 » by Frichuela » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:36 pm

nate33 wrote:

I suppose another factor is our propensity to lazily switch on defense far too often. It's not just that we play small guards, our scheme allows them to switch far too often onto bigs (or allows our big plodders to switch far too often onto guards). The shot chart says we still have a defender nearby, but a post player isn't bothered by Ish Smith or Bradley Beal, and a guy like Damian Lillard isn't too challenged when Alex Len switches out onto him on the perimeter.

This. 100% in agreement. This switch everything nonsense has to stop, or maybe not as it’s part of the plan to tank :lol:
smoothSeph
Pro Prospect
And1: 526

Post#6 » by smoothSeph » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:48 pm

nate33 wrote:Defensively, the situation is completely different. The Wizards are the best team in the league at forcing opponents to shoot the wrong shots. You heard that right. Their expected opponent eFG% of 53.2%, which leads the league! But at the same time, the Wizards are a wild outlier in opponent shotmaking. Opponents are shooting an unbelievable 3% better then expected based on their shot quality. This is the worst "variance" in the league... by a lot. The next "unluckiest" team are the Pistons whose opponents shoot 1.8% better than expected. After that, nobody else has worse variance than 0.6%. Thanks to the Wizards' variance, they manage to post the worst eFG% in the league despite ostensibly allowing the least desirable shot profile!

I think it boils down to the comfort level opposing teams have against us. We're not good + we have no intimidating defenders on the roster.

Who wouldn't have confidence shooting against us? (Didn't see the rest of the list but I assume that's why Detroit is right above us).

Of course this can't be quantified but I'd rather believe that than luck. A large percentage of the game is mental.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,050

Post#7 » by queridiculo » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:11 pm

I mean there’s open, and knowing that simple actions are going to net you wide open looks based on scouting reports.

Knowing exactly what looks you’re going to get is different from having to work on getting those shots with the added pressure of converting when the ball finds the shooter.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#8 » by nate33 » Sun Mar 7, 2021 1:46 am

I came across this on the Twitter:

Good teams like Utah and Milwaukee tend to show a steadily increasing red zone. The longer they play, the more likely they are to develop a big lead. Likewise, bad teams like Sacramento and Cleveland show a steadily increasing blue zone. The longer they play, the more likely they are to fall behind by a large margin. Understandably, those blue zones tend to level off in the 4th quarter when teams get into garbage time.

What I found notable is that the Wizards are the only team where you can see a significant change of fortune at halftime. Overall, the Wizards are a bad team as the steadily increasing blue zone in quarters 1 and 2 attest. But at halftime, that blue zone flattens and even reverses itself a bit. Teams that have built a lead by half time start to lose it. Likewise, the Wizards rarely build a lead early (no red in the 1st half), but they often pull away in the 2nd half, particularly in the 3rd quarter.

The Wizards are making the best halftime adjustments in the league. I wonder why? San Antonio appears to do a good job too, though their inflection point appears to be at the start of the 4th quarter.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#9 » by nate33 » Sun Mar 7, 2021 1:58 am

I just checked it on NBA.com

The Wizards rank 29th in 1st quarter NetRtg. They're a horrific -12.6
The Wizards rank 23rd in 2nd quarter NetRtg. They're -6.0
The Wizards rank 5th in 3rd quarter NetRtg. They're +6.5 :o They have the 3rd best 3rd quarter defense!
The Wizards rank 21st in 4th quarter NetRtg. They're -3.6

If you look at just the last 19 games (starting with the Brooklyn win right after the Covid hiatus), the Wizards have the 29th ranked NetRtg in the 1st half, and the 6th best NetRtg in the 2nd half. WTF?
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#10 » by doclinkin » Sun Mar 7, 2021 2:01 am

The Penguin's Knicks also seem to blow teams out after halftime by that chart. I still think it is Dean Oliver and the analytics crew.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#11 » by nate33 » Sun Mar 7, 2021 2:02 am

doclinkin wrote:The Penguin's Knicks also seem to blow teams out after halftime by that chart. I still think it is Dean Oliver and the analytics crew.

Yeah, but it's a steady progression throughout the game. There is no stark change in performance at halftime.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,050

Post#12 » by queridiculo » Sun Mar 7, 2021 8:24 am

Shot quality might sound like a meaningful metric in isolation, but what matters more is whom are you forcing to take those shots?

A good defense keys on shooters, and when you are watching some of those Wizards rotations you don't often get the sense that Washington players are doing a good job of knowing the other teams personnel.

Far too often Washington players are caught scrambling to cover guys that are non-threats and leaving credibly shooters open in the process.
JAR69
Senior
And1: 224

Post#13 » by JAR69 » Sun Mar 7, 2021 2:08 pm

nate33 wrote:I just checked it on NBA.com

The Wizards rank 5th in 3rd quarter NetRtg. They're +6.5 :o They have the 3rd best 3rd quarter defense!

If you look at just the last 19 games (starting with the Brooklyn win right after the Covid hiatus), the Wizards have the 29th ranked NetRtg in the 1st half, and the 6th best NetRtg in the 2nd half. WTF?

Nate - can you break this down by ORtg and DRtg? I'd be curious to see those patterns.
"It takes talent, strategy and millions of dollars to compete in the N.B.A. But regret is the league’s greatest currency." - Howard Beck
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#14 » by nate33 » Sun Mar 7, 2021 2:25 pm

JAR69 wrote:
nate33 wrote:I just checked it on NBA.com

Nate - can you break this down by ORtg and DRtg? I'd be curious to see those patterns.

Looking only at the last 19 games (after the Covid hiatus):

In the first half, we have an ORtg of 105.9 and a DRtg of 116.6, ranking 26th and 23rd respectively
In the second half, we have an ORtg of 114.0 and a DRtg of 108.9, ranking 15th and 5th respectively

So we improve by about 8 points in offense and defense in the 2nd half.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#15 » by doclinkin » Sun Mar 7, 2021 2:31 pm

It's the Godfather, Doctor Dean.

In the short-term, Oliver's fingerprints are on advanced scouting and in-game adjustments. The latter has forced the biggest change for Oliver so far in his transition from the front office to the coaching staff.

He now has far less time to make decisions. Outside of games, Oliver has hours and hours to pore over numbers. In games, he has to process things quickly and convey them clearly to Brooks and the rest of the team.

That's also where the sheets of paper come in. During games, Oliver is taking notes about what he sees on the floor.

"I have a pretty detailed shorthand which is my way of tracking what is going on in the game. Some of it is the same stuff you can get online, but we can't access the internet on there so I'm tracking it the best I can. Some of it goes beyond that, for sure," he explained.

"Usually, I'm trying to digest what I have over the course of the first half. When we have timeouts, one of the other things I do is just write my notes to try to summarize what I'm seeing. Some of it is a check on my own stuff. If I'm seeing a trend, say midway through the second quarter or something, by the end of that second quarter hopefully that trend is still there. Because if it's not, it might have just been random variation. It's to check on my own perceptions."

Halftime is where Oliver can go back in the locker room and really process the data. He tries to find advantages outside of the box score, then reports the information to Brooks and the rest of the staff.

Link.

Now imagine if we had a head coach who believed in PRE-game adjustments. Instead we have this guy:

What Brooks likes about Oliver, in particular, is that he's more than just numbers. Oliver has playing experience and a lifelong love for the game.

Because he college basketball, he has an extra level of credibility, at least in Brooks' eyes.

"I think he's much more than analytics and that's what I like about him," Brooks said.

Read on Twitter
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#16 » by doclinkin » Sun Mar 7, 2021 2:39 pm

We spend millions on analytics, and we have the coach who disdains analysis and smarts in general in favor of some ill-defined metric of scrappiness. And I guess whether or not players have a video game console.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#17 » by nate33 » Sun Mar 7, 2021 2:44 pm

doclinkin wrote:We spend millions on analytics, and we have the coach who disdains analysis and smarts in general in favor of some ill-defined metric of scrappiness. And I guess whether or not players have a video game console.

It appears that Brooks, or at least the players, are listening to Oliver at halftime. Given the clear and obvious success of their halftime adjustments, hopefully they'll develop enough confidence in the analytics to apply them in pre-game preparation.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#18 » by doclinkin » Sun Mar 7, 2021 2:56 pm

nate33 wrote:
doclinkin wrote:We spend millions on analytics, and we have the coach who disdains analysis and smarts in general in favor of some ill-defined metric of scrappiness. And I guess whether or not players have a video game console.

It appears that Brooks, or at least the players, are listening to Oliver at halftime. Given the clear and obvious success of their halftime adjustments, hopefully they'll develop enough confidence in the analytics to apply them in pre-game preparation.

Right, it sounds like he has good relationships with the players.

Oliver, in part because of his basketball playing experience, can speak a language the players understand.

"I don't try to necessarily frame it in terms of a number. These are answers to basketball questions, right? So you're trying to do that and say why this is a better shot or why this is a better thing to do using basketball language as much as possible. It may come from analysis, but you can tell players 'hey, this is a good shot for you.' You don't need to give them the numbers," Oliver said.

In polling Wizards players around the locker room, two themes emerged about Oliver and his impact. One is his approach of positive reinforcement, as Troy Brown Jr. can attest.

"We talk before the game usually," Brown said. "It's just little stuff. He will say something that is encouraging to me based on the analytics."

Davis Bertans likes the depth Oliver and his numbers can provide. Bertans is known mostly as a shooter, but works hard to be well-rounded enough to affect games in other ways.

"Some guy might not be scoring points or doing much statistically, but he is impacting the team and the team is doing better when he's on the court than off the court," Bertans said.

This all, of course, brings us to the most obvious and natural question anyone would want to ask a person of Oliver's ilk and stature: what should we think of the midrange shot?

It turns out it's a bit more nuanced than you might expect for a guy who is considered a pioneer of basketball analytics.

"I think obviously the conventional wisdom now [is that] they're not great shots but there's some midrange shots that are completely fine. There are some players for whom that's a pretty good shot to take and I've always been a big believer in take the shots that are best for who you are," he said.

"You've gotta customize what you do to the players you have and vice versa. You have to try to get players that fit you and you try to fit the players you've got. There's some lack of mobility in each... Players have an identity as well. You can modify it, but trying to revolutionize a player, that's hard."

I guess I'd be curious to see what would happen if Coach Oliver were allowed to prep for and run a game. Or if he were an interim head coach for a time.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#19 » by payitforward » Sun Mar 7, 2021 3:15 pm

So, essentially,

1. We are a far better 2d half team than 1st half.
2. In the 2d half, we apply what Dean Oliver has discovered during the 1st half.

Initial response = replace the coach.

It would be interesting to see whether we are a better 1st half team when we play a team for the 2d time than when we play them the first time.

If not, fire the dxmn coach!

It would be interesting to animate this graph from game to game in order to find out whether & how this pattern has changed, if it has, over the season. If it hasn't improved, well...

Fire the f#*%in' coach!!!

Does the above make sense?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,307

Post#20 » by NatP4 » Sun Mar 7, 2021 3:33 pm

Hire Oliver as the head coach

Return to Washington Wizards