ImageImageImageImageImage

Bullets sign Wes Unseld Jr. to 4-year contract to become the franchise's 25th head coach!

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,362

Re: Who should be the next Bullets head coach? (2021 Edition - POLL UPDATE!) 

Post#121 » by doclinkin » Fri Apr 9, 2021 11:25 am

I'd add Tim Duncan, Becky Hammon, and Mitch Johnson into the mix. If Manu Ginobili is not interested at all, he seems like he is enjoying life too much to want to coach full time, I just have a sense he would be great at it.

Tim Duncan has the gravitas and resume to induce players to listen. He is one of the rare HOF talents that is cerebral and savvy enough about the game to analyze it from the outside without expecting players to mimic what he himself did. Popovich has said Tim is too smart to choose to be a head coach, but for whatever reason he still spends time around the game. He stepped down as assistant coach this year, but perhaps a head coaching position would be enough of a challenge to keep his attention. Allow him free range to pick his own staff from all the coaching diaspora.

Becky Hammon is going to get a head coaching job at some point. She is smart, tough, a lifer in the game. Spurs players endorse her. I'd take Pau Gasol as an assistant on her staff. He has been a strong advocate for her as a head coach, would be a good player liason type assistant and would add a smart savvy big man coach to our bench.

Mitch Johnson coached the Spurs's G-League affiliate during their championship runs. A Stanford grad, he is one of those candidates that people know will eventually be holding the main clipboard. He's only been with the SA Spurs for a year or so, so maybe it is early, but he is murmured as being in the chain of secession for the Pop position when the old curmudgeon retires.
daSwami
Assistant Coach
And1: 550

Post#122 » by daSwami » Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:59 pm

Sam Cassell should get an interview imo.
:banghead:
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#123 » by FAH1223 » Wed May 5, 2021 11:08 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,465

Post#124 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Wed May 5, 2021 11:19 pm

More worried about not replacing Brooks than losing a high pick. But, if I had to rank my replacement choices it would be:

Buds
Stotts
Hammonds
In Rizzo we trust
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,915

Post#125 » by CobraCommander » Thu May 6, 2021 2:57 am

I’d go Hammonds....Russ leading the intensity - wiz need the Xs and Os....and apparently she is like a savant with the game plan
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#126 » by BigA » Thu May 6, 2021 7:56 pm

So it looks like Westbrook is going to end up saving Brooks's job?
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,873

Post#127 » by payitforward » Thu May 13, 2021 3:33 pm

Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,873

Post#128 » by payitforward » Thu May 13, 2021 3:34 pm

Here's the section on Brooks:

Scott Brooks, Washington Wizards
(30-35, 10th Seed in Eastern Conference)
All season long, there has been a strong sense around the league that this would be the end in Washington for Brooks. He was in the last year of a five-year deal that was reportedly worth a combined $35 million. And the Wizards, who had survived until the second round of the playoffs in his first season (2016-17) and lost in the first round in Year No. 2, were barreling toward a third consecutive playoff absence.

But this recent stretch, the one in which the Wizards have won 13 of 16 games with Bradley Beal and Russell Westbrook clicking like never before and a play-in tournament entry in sight, is the kind of thing that could change the seemingly inevitable. The tricky part, it seems, is that it’s not entirely clear how much they needed to improve for owner Ted Leonsis to consider re-signing Brooks.

One source close to the situation said there was a playoff mandate of sorts for Brooks, but it’s unclear whether a play-in entry would suffice if their season ended there. There have been questions swirling about the future of general manager Tommy Sheppard as well, however, making this one even harder to handicap. Brooks, the source said, has not been told what lies ahead.

Yet in terms of 11th-hour developments that help his case for a new contract, it doesn’t get much better than this. Not only is Brooks extremely well-liked within Wizards circles, with all indications that he still has Beal’s support along with the synergy with the front office, but also he has the shared history with Westbrook that simply has to be considered here.

Westbrook’s desire to leave Houston for Washington back in training camp had everything to do with Brooks, who was always his biggest supporter during their seven seasons together in Oklahoma City (2008-2015). Westbrook, it seemed, was ready to be unleashed again and play his way after the failed experiment alongside James Harden in Houston. And now that it’s working so well, one would have to imagine Westbrook’s voice matters when it comes to Brooks’ future.

After all, he’s owed $44.2 million next season and has a player option worth $47 million for the 2022-23 campaign. He’s a pivotal part of the program for the foreseeable future, one that looks quite a bit brighter with the way he has played of late.

In this 16-game span, Westbrook is averaging 21.8 points, 13.6 rebounds and 13.1 assists while nearing Oscar Robertson’s all-time record for triple-doubles along the way (he’s three away from Robertson’s record of 181). Beal, who is owed $33.7 million next season and has a player option for the 2022-23 season worth $36.4 million, is still thriving under Brooks as well (30.9 points, 4.7 rebounds, 4.5 assists per game) and is battling Golden State’s Stephen Curry for the scoring title. All season long, the 27-year-old guard, who is so widely coveted, has maintained his stance that he has no desire to be traded from the Wizards.

If it ain’t broke, don’t…replace Brooks? We shall see.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Illuminaire
Veteran
And1: 606

Post#129 » by Illuminaire » Thu May 13, 2021 3:59 pm

I'm not even a fan anymore and that article made me throw up in my mouth.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,334

Post#130 » by dobrojim » Thu May 13, 2021 4:04 pm

Is Kara Lawson on anyone’s radar as a HC (as long as we’re talking women)?
She went to Boston since they added her to coaching staff no?
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
Halcyon
Veteran
And1: 479

Post#131 » by Halcyon » Thu May 13, 2021 4:23 pm

I have a sinking feeling that Brooks will be brought back. I'm guessing they go with him until the end of Westbrook's contract. Hope I'm wrong but I don't see this franchise making any bold moves like going after a hot assistant. Too "risky" since they might not mesh well with Westbrook or Beal, which is who the Wizards will most definitely cater to. The only way this might not happen is if they somehow bring in Ujiri and he works his magic.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,315

Post#132 » by NatP4 » Thu May 13, 2021 4:31 pm

I doubt it. Beal’s entire family has been extremely vocal in their criticism of Scott Brooks.

Westbrook understood it was time to move on in OKC, he will understand again this time. He cares more about winning.
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#133 » by Dark Faze » Thu May 13, 2021 4:33 pm

Even if he stays he'll be on 1 year deals until they accomplish something amazing (ECF).

If he needed to make the playoffs to survive this year, the bar would only get higher next year. I won't call it dooms day if he gets a 1 year extension.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#134 » by FAH1223 » Thu May 13, 2021 4:53 pm

Dark Faze wrote:Even if he stays he'll be on 1 year deals until they accomplish something amazing (ECF).

If he needed to make the playoffs to survive this year, the bar would only get higher next year. I won't call it dooms day if he gets a 1 year extension.

Ted is paying him $7M per year...

To do this

Read on Twitter
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#135 » by Ruzious » Thu May 13, 2021 5:31 pm

I've heard so many good things about Jay Wright from people who played for him - and he's got a huge likable personality that helps in leading pro athletes - seems almost like he can't miss being successful. I think he'd be my first choice.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#136 » by Dark Faze » Thu May 13, 2021 5:55 pm

Jay could land Duke tomorrow if that position opened. The bar for what he'd want in an NBA team is incredibly high. Guy didn't have interest in North Carolina lol.
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#137 » by BigA » Fri May 14, 2021 1:35 am

dobrojim wrote:Is Kara Lawson on anyone’s radar as a HC (as long as we’re talking women)?
She went to Boston since they added her to coaching staff no?

Kara Lawson took the job as WBB head coach at Duke last summer, but the team ended up cancelling its 20-21 season due to COVID concerns after 4 games around Christmas.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,932

Post#138 » by Frichuela » Fri May 14, 2021 5:21 pm

I don’t trust anything Teddy the clown says but here it is, straight from the horse’s mouth:

Read on Twitter
?s=21
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Post#139 » by WallToWall » Fri May 14, 2021 5:23 pm

I can't imagine bringing in a college coach to be the next HC of the team. We have too many veterans, and desire to win now. We don't have time for a college coach to acclimate to the NBA. We need a coach with a winning track record, playoff record, and having at least been to a championship will be nice icing on the cake. Westbrook, Beal, and perhaps others will need to respect this coach, and know that the coach can get them to a championship.
Pry D'antoni from the Nets, where he is currently an assistant coach. Lets look at some other assistant coaches who have had experience with Westbrook. I think that's the place to start.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#140 » by Ruzious » Fri May 14, 2021 6:02 pm

WallToWall wrote:I can't imagine bringing in a college coach to be the next HC of the team. We have too many veterans, and desire to win now. We don't have time for a college coach to acclimate to the NBA. We need a coach with a winning track record, playoff record, and having at least been to a championship will be nice icing on the cake. Westbrook, Beal, and perhaps others will need to respect this coach, and know that the coach can get them to a championship.
Pry D'antoni from the Nets, where he is currently an assistant coach. Lets look at some other assistant coaches who have had experience with Westbrook. I think that's the place to start.

I can't imagine a guy with as much experience and respect as Wright - including winning 2 recent NCAA Championships and who's coached US teams in international competitions - would have much problem adapting to the NBA.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams

Return to Washington Wizards