ImageImageImageImageImage

Bullets sign Wes Unseld Jr. to 4-year contract to become the franchise's 25th head coach!

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,877

Re: Who should be the next Bullets head coach? (2021 Edition - POLL UPDATE!) 

Post#141 » by payitforward » Fri May 14, 2021 7:38 pm

The biggest problem with this question will lie with the team's decision-making process.

Ted was all in on Scott Brooks, a stance I never understood at all. Yes, Brooks took a team with Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook & James Harden to the WC Finals. So what?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,355

Post#142 » by Kanyewest » Fri May 14, 2021 8:10 pm

payitforward wrote:The biggest problem with this question will lie with the team's decision-making process.

Ted was all in on Scott Brooks, a stance I never understood at all. Yes, Brooks took a team with Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook & James Harden to the WC Finals. So what?

To be fair, the Thunder did beat a team with Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Manu, Kawhi, and Danny Green coached by Pop and were massive underdogs after trailing 2-0- so maybe he gets some (but not too much) credit?

Still, he was outcoached by Spo in 2012 (although IIRC there were some unevenly officiated games against the Thunder in the NBA finals).
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Post#143 » by WallToWall » Sat May 15, 2021 1:59 pm

Wright is a good coach deserving of an opportunity in the NBA. His background, accomplishments and experience are all very good. I just don't think a team with Westbrook and Beal would be a good fit. If this were a young team, then yes, no problem, bring Wright in. Bring Wright in as an assistant coach with the plan to promote him to HC after a couple years, is a plan that may work. Beal and Westbrook need a head coach with a proven track record in the NBA. I dont think they would view any other kind of move as a good procedure to winning a championship.
9 and 20
Rookie
And1: 837

Post#144 » by 9 and 20 » Sun May 16, 2021 2:40 am

Frichuela wrote:I don’t trust anything Teddy the clown says but here it is, straight from the horse’s mouth:

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Does this mean a secret extension has already been signed? It's possible we've been Grunfelded.
Can't say I do. Who else gonna shoot?
9 and 20
Rookie

Post#145 » by 9 and 20 » Mon May 17, 2021 3:48 am

Welcome back, Brooks.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#146 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon May 17, 2021 4:34 am

9 and 20 wrote:Welcome back, Brooks.

I think Scott Brooks will be welcomed back similar to the way that Coach Mark Turgeon was by the Maryland Terrapins AD. He’s probably going to get a new contract. That’s my gut feeling right now.

I just can’t see Shepherd breaking up a feel-good story.
Bye bye Beal.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,735

Post#147 » by gambitx777 » Mon May 17, 2021 5:21 am

Well remember when mark Jackson's GS made the playoffs and he still got fired. That could happen here!

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,058

Post#148 » by queridiculo » Mon May 17, 2021 6:38 am

gambitx777 wrote:Well remember when mark Jackson's GS made the playoffs and he still got fired. That could happen here!

Can't fire somebody without a contract.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,933

Post#149 » by Frichuela » Mon May 17, 2021 1:31 pm

Regardless of what happens in the playin and playoff games. Brooks has to go (i.e. not be renewed). Otherwise we are set for more seasons of mediocrity.
9 and 20
Rookie

Post#150 » by 9 and 20 » Wed May 19, 2021 2:41 am

In this game against Boston, the Celtics come out of halftime and immediately go on a 17-2 run. Feels like this has been a thing during Brooks' tenure.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,735

Post#151 » by gambitx777 » Fri May 21, 2021 5:50 am

I think brooks has a place in the NBA. Guys like him, they play for him. They respect him. But , he doesn't have a place as a HC. If brooks wants to stay fine. But a new HC a really true Xs and Os guy needs to be put into place.

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#152 » by Ruzious » Fri May 21, 2021 11:06 am

gambitx777 wrote:Well remember when mark Jackson's GS made the playoffs and he still got fired. That could happen here!

Remember, Cleveland fired Mike Brown after consecutive 60 win seasons, and they had gotten past the first round 5 straight years. The owner thought firing him would help convince Lebron to stay.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,371

Post#153 » by doclinkin » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:15 pm

Bumping to take the conversation out of the Brooks firing thread:

Here is a good article on Becky Hammon:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/04/16/how-far-can-becky-hammon-go-in-the-nba

I honestly think she would be a good fit for a Beal led team, and possibly for Russ as the person, distinct from Russ as a player. Or as an incisive thoughtful basketball mind, even for Russ on court, using his passion and leadership.

The more I think about it the more I like the idea. She would have a pipeline to call in people like Duncan and Gasol as big man coaches. Manu Ginobili as an assistant coach with a creative mind for the game. And her own organization, passion, and analysis of the game.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,359

Post#154 » by nate33 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:20 pm

doclinkin wrote:Bumping to take the conversation out of the Brooks firing thread:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/04/16/how-far-can-becky-hammon-go-in-the-nba

I honestly think she would be a good fit for a Beal led team, and possibly for Russ as the person, distinct from Russ as a player. Or as an incisive thoughtful basketball mind, even for Russ on court, using his passion and leadership.

The more I think about it the more I like the idea.

I really like the point you made that Hammond, as the first female head coach, would be that much more motivated (and under pressure) to bust her butt in every facet of the coaching process. There would be virtually no chance she would get outworked by other coaches.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,371

Post#155 » by doclinkin » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:45 pm

nate33 wrote:
doclinkin wrote:Bumping to take the conversation out of the Brooks firing thread:

The more I think about it the more I like the idea.

I really like the point you made that Hammond, as the first female head coach, would be that much more motivated (and under pressure) to bust her butt in every facet of the coaching process. There would be virtually no chance she would get outworked by other coaches.

And being a former point guard I think she would understand how to use Russ' charisma and passion and confidence as a megaphone to amplify her message and run the team. At times this year Russ was beginning to show real maturity in his game. By all accounts HOF players are impressed with her knowledge and intensity, and in addition she seems to be able to read and reach them on a personal level. That is the true point guard skill, team leadership, and one that Russ will be well served to develop as he grows into his role as a mentor and floor general.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,877

Post#156 » by payitforward » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:07 pm

I'm all in on Becky Hammon. I think she'll be a good coach, I think she really deserves a HC job, & I'm quite sure it would be a brilliant business/marketing move.

But, even if we want her, she may get more than one offer -- or, at least, she's interviewing for a few of the open HC jobs.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
badinage
Bench Warmer
And1: 884

Post#157 » by badinage » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:22 pm

My hopes, in order:

Budenholzer.

Hammon.

Atkinson.

D’Antoni.

Stotts.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,323

Post#158 » by NatP4 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:32 pm

If I had to guess at Sheppard’s list right now:

1. Bud
2. Hammon
3. Unseld Jr.

Any affiliation with the Spurs organization or anything to do with Europe will be big factors.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,323

Post#159 » by NatP4 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:39 pm

Doc, if you have any more articles/interviews with Hammon, please post. I’ve been trying to do my research. I like her as a person/leader, but I’ve had some trouble finding interviews discussing basketball Xs and Os.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#160 » by Ruzious » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:39 pm

I wonder who Milwaukee thinks they can get who's better than Bud (Charles Lee?), but yeah, if they drop him, the Wiz should go after him hard and fast.

I'm a huge Jay Wright fan, but who knows if he'd be interested?

They'll probably go after someone I'm not even thinking of.

People I don't want them to chose include the Van Gundys, Mark Jackson, Stotts, D'Antoni (I want defense), and Jason Kidd (awful when he coached Milwaukee).
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams

Return to Washington Wizards