ImageImageImageImageImage

Bullets sign Wes Unseld Jr. to 4-year contract to become the franchise's 25th head coach!

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Re: Who should be the next Bullets head coach? (2021 Edition) 

Post#41 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:14 am

NatP4 wrote:Last Wright post. Awesome interview with the real key piece being about needing “tough players that will battle inside while being undersized” guys like Divincenzo, Brunson, Hart all fit this description. A guy like Jalen Suggs is a textbook example of a player that would thrive under Wright.

:nod:

Yeah, this dude. He can coach.
Bye bye Beal.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,152

Post#42 » by AFM » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:11 am

I heard Tyrone Nesby is available
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,464

Post#43 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:26 pm

There are only a few college coaches who could make the leap. Wright and Bennett are two of them. I’m quite sure Bennett is happy where he is. So, yes, Jay Wright would be great as would Kenny Atkinson.
In Rizzo we trust
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,343

Post#44 » by doclinkin » Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:44 pm

Kelvin Sampson is another coach I who always wondered why he didn't get an NBA head coaching spot. HIs turnaround resume is impeccable. Okay, you can pecc it if you fuss about NCAA violations that are no longer violations under the current rules. But that is not an issue in the NBA.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,047

Post#45 » by queridiculo » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:56 pm

A lot of talk about guys in their 60s making the jump here.

It's a different grind in the pros, a lot of sacrifices that have to be made, is that really the direction you'd want this franchise to go into?

Just because you're a good college coach doesn't mean you're cut out to make it in the pros. You're not going to have players under your thumb, no recruiting edge, not a lot of opportunities to coach them up.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,343

Post#46 » by doclinkin » Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:14 pm

queridiculo wrote:A lot of talk about guys in their 60s making the jump here.

It's a different grind in the pros, a lot of sacrifices that have to be made, is that really the direction you'd want this franchise to go into?

Just because you're a good college coach doesn't mean you're cut out to make it in the pros. You're not going to have players under your thumb, no recruiting edge, not a lot of opportunities to coach them up.

Jay Wright is 59. That's just above the median on coaches' ages. Billy Donovan made the jump at age 50. Do you have any doubt Wright knows how to coach players at the NBA level? Tony Bennett is 50 and a former NBA player. Are you talking Kelvin Sampson? During his suspension from the NCAA he was an assistant on the bench of the Spurs, Milwaukee and Houston, deliberately taking jobs with various teams to get on-the-job training on how different staffs were run. If he took an NBA job it's because he knows the ropes.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 896

Post#47 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:42 pm

IMO the best guy for this team at this time is Avery Johnson.
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#48 » by Ruzious » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:56 pm

I'm a Tony Bennett guy. I'd love to see if he can use his deliberate style effectively in the NBA. I'd expect that he'd like to know that, too. What boggles my mind is how consistent he is in building outstanding teams without McDonalds All=American types.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
RealGM

Post#49 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:42 pm

How about Gilbert Arenas?

Gil could start the season out with all players getting weapons training, real life shooting practice . Gilbert could bring in Nick Young and Andray Blatche for assistant coaches. Wouldn't that be special?

Sent from my SM-T500 using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#50 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:46 pm

Even though I was just kidding I bet you Gilbert Arenas could coach the team as well or better than Scott Brooks.

Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#51 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:48 pm

In all seriousness Russell Westbrook could be the player coach right now.

Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#52 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:36 pm

Dat2U wrote:
doclinkin wrote:Jay Wright of VIllanova.
Tony Bennet of UVA.
Penny Hardaway of Memphis.
Tim Duncan, big fundamental. Or coach Manu with Tim as an assistant.

Juwan Howard

Howard is staying at Michigan.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/261916/Juwan-Howard-Calls-Michigan-Dream-Job-Wont-Leave-For-NBA
Bye bye Beal.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,301

Post#53 » by nate33 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:05 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Even though I was just kidding I bet you Gilbert Arenas could coach the team as well or better than Scott Brooks.

I don't know if Arenas has the temperament to coach, but he is definitely a very basketball savvy dude. The guy understands the game within the game.
RealGM

Post#54 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:27 am

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:IMO the best guy for this team at this time is Avery Johnson.

I am listening to Avery Johnson right now. He is announcing a TBS ball game with Purdue about to get upset by North Texas.
Bye bye Beal.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,348

Post#55 » by Kanyewest » Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:48 am

It would have to be a godfather offer from the Bullets to get it done if Wright didn't consider the 76ers. https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29794889/villanova-basketball-coach-jay-wright-says-not-candidate-76ers-vacancy
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,348

Post#56 » by Kanyewest » Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:50 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:How about Gilbert Arenas?

Gil could start the season out with all players getting weapons training, real life shooting practice . Gilbert could bring in Nick Young and Andray Blatche for assistant coaches. Wouldn't that be special?

Arenas actually does want to get back into coaching. I imagine if gungate didn't happen, the opportunity would have been open to him even as an assistant.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,969

Post#57 » by DCZards » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:00 pm

Kanyewest wrote:It would have to be a godfather offer from the Bullets to get it done if Wright didn't consider the 76ers. https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29794889/villanova-basketball-coach-jay-wright-says-not-candidate-76ers-vacancy

Jay Wright is a great college coach. And there's a good chance he could do just as well at the NBA level. My concern is that if you're forced to give Wright a godfather offer and he's not successful at the NBA level (which has been the case with several good college coaches) then you're stuck with him and a large price tag.
likwitdesi
Starter
And1: 60

Post#58 » by likwitdesi » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:17 pm

Kenny Atkinson got a raw deal in Brooklyn. He is clearly a guy who does not coddle stars and I was impressed with the job he did a couple years back without the big name stars yet on his roster.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#59 » by verbal8 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:00 pm

likwitdesi wrote:Kenny Atkinson got a raw deal in Brooklyn. He is clearly a guy who does not coddle stars and I was impressed with the job he did a couple years back without the big name stars yet on his roster.

That is probably the path to success for the Wizards. Beal is a star in terms of production, but seems not to have a personality/attitude of needing to be catered to that many stars have.
Mizerooskie
Junior
And1: 36

Post#60 » by Mizerooskie » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:02 am

Has anyone mentioned Charles Lee yet?

From an ESPN piece in September:

Few assistant coaches saw a bigger season-to-season jump in our informal poll than Charles Lee, 35, who's in his sixth season working under Mike Budenholzer in Atlanta and now Milwaukee. Fans of Lee, who played professionally overseas before spending a couple of years as an equity trader on Wall Street, tout him as a five-tool coach who is every bit as comfortable having meaningful conversations with a backup point guard as he is dining with a team owner. Those who have worked with him say he has an intuitive sense of how to inspire improvement from players but also understands high-level strategy and the preparation required to implement it. He is, in the words of one peer, someone who is "categorically going to be an NBA head coach."

I'm one that doesn't think this bit matters, but: Born in DC, grew up in Gaithersburg, went to Quince Orchard.

Here's a lengthy interview from a German hoops reporter with Lee. He's a really impressive guy. Well-traveled, humble, introspective, relatable. I'm on board.

Return to Washington Wizards