ImageImageImageImageImage

GT #41: Bullets @ Nets 7 PM (NBATV/NBCSW/1500 AM) [3/21/21]

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

DO THE NETS HOLD ONTO THEIR 20 POINT LEAD THIS TIME?

YES, GAME IS OVER BY HALFTIME
100%
NO, WE GET ANOTHER WILD FINISH
No votes

Total votes: 2

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,302

Re: GT #41: Bullets @ Nets 7 PM (NBATV/NBCSW/1500 AM) [3/21/21] 

Post#161 » by nate33 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:58 pm

DCZards wrote:
nate33 wrote:I'd much rather keep Beal around, but he has to be all in on rebuilding toward a window 2-3 years down the road, which means he needs to be patient with developing the youngsters. This reload on the fly thing isn't working.

So what’s the problem with keeping Beal AND Westbrook around and asking both of them to be all in on a rebuild and to be patient with the development of the youngsters currently on the team and whoever the Zards draft this year?

Because if we are fortunate enough to draft wisely and develop that talent, Westbrook still won't be around to help the team during their good years. In the meantime, he adds wins which lowers our draft position, and he puts pressure on the coach to play "win-now" basketball which means we play veterans like Neto, Bertans and Lopez instead of developing Troy Brown, Bonga and Wagner. And finally, he is a ball-dominant guy who lowers the usage rate of everyone else on the team, which is hurting their development.

Don't get me wrong. I really do love Westbrook's attitude and intensity, and I do think it rubs off on the team. They have developed a "never give up" mindset that is really enjoyable to watch. But there are too many cons to outweigh that one pro.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#162 » by payitforward » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:25 pm

Another way to put it: the "pros" are all short-term; the "cons" affect us long-term.

That's not Russ's fault, obviously, & it's not a knock on him. &, tbh, if you think he's hurting young players' development, you also have to credit your last point about him as helping their development.

In the end, whether we trade Russ or Bertans or Brown or whoever will come down to particulars: what the deal is, what's on the table. I.e. if one of the top 4 teams out West wants to give us an expiring salary & their R1 pick this year for Bertans, I'm pretty sure we say yes.

Maybe the Lakers will do that, & the Clippers will do the deal for Russ! We have Zubac along w/ Beal, Bryant, Rui, Deni, Brown & Bonga for @$66m. Add Len & Mathews for another @$4m. Plus 2 R1 rookies -- say it's Suggs & Duarte. Plus whoever came back from the Clips -- Beverly I think. That's 12 guys for @$93m. Now, go sign the 3 best guys you can find -- including 1 superstar!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,348

Post#163 » by Kanyewest » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:29 pm

nate33 wrote:I'm telling you, now is the time to sell high on Westbrook. We might even get some value, and it will open the door for Avdija and Hachimura to get more touches.

It might have to wait until the offseason where a team might have more cap space to get the trade done. IT can't hurt to listen though to see what the offers may be but I would be surprised if the Wizards move Westbrook right now given the size of his contract and the reasons that pushed Washington to make the trade in the first place.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#164 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:20 pm

prime1time wrote:
Dark Faze wrote:
prime1time wrote:I get the logic, but it's just hard to explain the direction of the team if we do that.

The direction of the team is we weren’t winning with those guys and we want to actually win some day so time to move on.

Wizards fans talk about rebuilding like it actually works. It doesn't. We build a mediocre team, rebuild, build another mediocre team, rebuild, build another mediocre team and rebuilld. Ad nauseum. All rebuilding means, is lets be terrible for 5 years at the small slight chance that we could eventually put together a good team.

Agreed.

You either draft well as Golden State did with the Splash Brothers; OKC did with Durant/Westbrook/Harden and others; Boston did with Tatum and Brown; Toronto with Vanvleet, Siakim, LOWRY and others; and San Antonio with everything they touch.... OR, you get superstar players to collaborate and scheme a way to play together.

Why did I capitalize Lowry?

Beal can be drafted by a team that sticks with him until the Championship. Beal can retire a HOF player, because he’s as good as Lowry minus the winning. THE FRONT OFFICE just needs a crafter. We need Shepherd to be as successful as Uriji or we need to upgrade.

Brooks did not attract Durant to return to DC. A swing and a miss. Alright, it’s almost five years later and there WILL be a coaching change...

Unless, they mortgage the future for a playoff quickie run.

I think the Wizards need to stay the course on Beal. Only take a good deal for Russell Westbrook if and only if HE is on board, because Beal will understand either way. Just make sure to be TRANSPARENT with both leadership players, Beal and Westbrook.

This really shouldn’t be that hard. I have been pretending GM with you guys for 20 years.
Bye bye Beal.
bsilver
Pro Prospect
And1: 466

Post#165 » by bsilver » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:31 pm

RIP Elgin Baylor. He was amazing with Dr J like moves before anyone else. It's too bad there's so little tape of his games, so only oldsters like me got to see him play in his prime.
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics — quote popularized by Mark Twain.
bsilver
Pro Prospect
And1: 466

Post#166 » by bsilver » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:51 pm

It's time to start TBJr at SF. Let him have the start for about 3 games with no pressure, so he doesn't have the stress of being yanked quickly by Brooks. He hasn't played well, but hasn't been given much of a chance.

Garrison Mathews was abused by the Nets. They waited until he switched to the player with the ball, and then they drove by him with no resistance. He's better as a spark plug type off the bench. Plus he gives up too much height at SF.

Avdija seems to have checked out mentally. He's doing nothing lately to deserve his playing time.

Bonga tries on D and is sometimes effective, but fouls too much and provide so little offense.

We've been terrible at the SF position.
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics — quote popularized by Mark Twain.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#167 » by payitforward » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:16 pm

Absolutely! As I wrote last night in this very thread:
payitforward wrote:The problem with Mathews is how we are using him. Or, to put it a little differently, it's another aspect of the problem with Scott Brooks.

Yes, Mathews isn't a great athlete, but he's not a bad athlete either.

Is he good enough to be an effective NBA starter right now-- less than 2 years after he played at a level zero school & went undrafted? Not really, although he doesn't actually look bad out there, not even on defense.

But, when you start Garrison Mathews along with Westbrook & Beal, you are insuring that you don't get the best benefit out of him as a player. Mathews got only 5 shots in his 30 minutes tonight. They were all 3-pointers, & he made 2 of the 5 -- you want him to do better than that? Should he shoot 60% -- it would be nice for sure!

Moreover, Mathews only real weakness is rebounding. Since Rui is a weak rebounder as well (though not so much tonight -- Rui had an outstanding game tonight), it makes little sense to put them on the floor together.

I'd rather see Garrison get 20-25 minutes off the bench & get 10-12 shots. Start Troy Brown! He rebounds at a high level & doesn't need to shoot a lot.

I'm not suggesting this is perfect; I'm saying it's better.

Take a look at tonight's box score. Our bench managed a grand total of 16 FGAs. That's ridiculous. If the whole team shot at that rate, we'd get 62 shots in a game....
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,969

Post#168 » by DCZards » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:23 pm

Westbrook signs his jersey for actor Michael B. Jordan following the Nets game.

Read on Twitter

Return to Washington Wizards