deleted rant :roll:
Bye bye Beal.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Re: GT #42: Wizards @ Knicks 7:30 PM 3/23 

Post#103 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:14 am

nate33 wrote:
prime1time wrote:What's the argument for not playing Troy Brown Jr when we are this bad? We tried Matthews, we won games but now we are even worse off than we first started. Give Brown Jr a chance dear lord.

Yeah, I like Mathews, but now that the scouting report is out on him, teams are going after him defensively. He's not terrible, but he's definitely below average defensively. The Mathews experiment has run its course. I still want him to play, but it's time to move him to the bench and start Troy Brown.

Isn't Mathew really a SG? Are any/many of his minutes locked in at anything other than SF?
Bye bye Beal.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,339

Re: GT #42: Wizards @ Knicks 7:30 PM 3/23 

Post#104 » by nate33 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:03 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
nate33 wrote:
prime1time wrote:What's the argument for not playing Troy Brown Jr when we are this bad? We tried Matthews, we won games but now we are even worse off than we first started. Give Brown Jr a chance dear lord.

Yeah, I like Mathews, but now that the scouting report is out on him, teams are going after him defensively. He's not terrible, but he's definitely below average defensively. The Mathews experiment has run its course. I still want him to play, but it's time to move him to the bench and start Troy Brown.

Isn't Mathew really a SG? Are any/many of his minutes locked in at anything other than SF?

He has SG size, but these days, teams expect their SG's to be combo guards who handle secondary ball-handling duties. They need to be able to run some pick and roll and make some shots off the dribble. Mathews hasn't show much of that yet (except last night against the Knicks when he had two nice drive-and-dishes).

Basically, Mathews is playing like a SF on offense. Heck, Brooks really only lets him stand in the corner, so he's actually playing more like a PF on offense. I don't know why Brooks doesn't at least try him in the Otto Porter role as a guy who runs pindowns and comes off screens.

But if Mathews is going to get to play SG full time, he either needs to develop some ball-handling ability, or we need a secondary playmaker at the 3, 4 or 5 so that we can get away with a SG who doesn't dribble. That's what the Clippers did with Redick (Paul and Griffin were the two playmakers) and what Golden State did with Klay (Curry and Draymond were the two playmakers).

Return to Washington Wizards