ImageImageImageImageImage

GT #42: Wizards @ Knicks 7:30 PM 3/23

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,927

Re: GT #42: Wizards @ Knicks 7:30 PM 3/23 

Post#81 » by Frichuela » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:27 am

The body language of Troy and Deni is horrendous. They look so afraid and with zero confidence.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,345

Post#82 » by doclinkin » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:28 am

smoothSeph wrote:
Dat2U wrote:Coaching doesn't make a bit of difference. Players are what they are. A new coach won't change that.

This Knicks team says otherwise. They're basically a bunch of castaways and Julius Randle

Green font does not mean sarcasm, at all. Ever.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#83 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:33 am

Frichuela wrote:The body language of Troy and Deni is horrendous. They look so afraid and with zero confidence.

If a coach reflexively benches you, panders to veterans at the cost of your player development, and otherwise demonstrates he doesn't value you, PERHAPS you slouch.

I don't know I'm not even watching.

My opinion is Russ and Beal are millionaires and stars and they are above it all. They want the others to come up quick to a standard THAT THEY THEMSELVES DO NOT MEET.

The team is a cluster and it would probably SUCK to burn a couple or three of your VERY FIRST YEARS having the misfortune of having be drafted into this feculent quagmire of franchise.
Bye bye Beal.
Jimmy Recard
RealGM
And1: 5,373

Post#84 » by Jimmy Recard » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:33 am

Frichuela wrote:The body language of Troy and Deni is horrendous. They look so afraid and with zero confidence.

Deni looks frustrated more than anything, we should be running more plays for him and let him run some sets. I’d be frustrated too if I knew what I could do but instead I’m relegated to a spot up shooter role with the worst decision maker in the league running the show.

Troy just looks like his confidence has been shot. Mentally he’s not the same guy from last season. Looks like he’s just playing scared and trying to make one mistake. This is what happens to young players when they’re on a short leash.

Brooks is a clown.
smoothSeph
Pro Prospect
And1: 526

Post#85 » by smoothSeph » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:33 am

doclinkin wrote:
smoothSeph wrote:
Dat2U wrote:Coaching doesn't make a bit of difference. Players are what they are. A new coach won't change that.

This Knicks team says otherwise. They're basically a bunch of castaways and Julius Randle

Green font does not mean sarcasm, at all. Ever.

That said, Julius Randle can be LeBron when he wants to :lol:
Jimmy Recard
RealGM
And1: 5,373

Post#86 » by Jimmy Recard » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:34 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:

If a coach reflexively benches you, panders to veterans at the cost of your player development, and otherwise demonstrates he doesn't value you, PERHAPS you slouch.

My opinion is Russ and Beal are millionaires and stars and they are above it all. They want the others to come up quick to a standard THAT THEY THEMSELVES DO NOT MEET.

The team is a cluster and it would probably SUCK to burn a couple or three of your VERY FIRST YEARS having the misfortune of having be drafted into this feculent quagmire of franchise.

:clap:
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#87 » by 80sballboy » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:34 am

Whether it's coaching or not, when the Knicks give up an easy layup, Thibs calls timeout. You defend and you play. You don't and you sit.
RealGM

Post#88 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:39 am

80sballboy wrote:Whether it's coaching or not, when the Knicks give up an easy layup, Thibs calls timeout. You defend and you play. You don't and you sit.

Accountability. Immediate feedback. A system of rewards and punishments. Specific benchmarks/baselines.

One coach is on it.

One coach is NOT.
Bye bye Beal.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,927

Post#89 » by Frichuela » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:44 am

80sballboy wrote:Whether it's coaching or not, when the Knicks give up an easy layup, Thibs calls timeout. You defend and you play. You don't and you sit.

Accountability. Immediate feedback. A system of rewards and punishments. Specific benchmarks/baselines.

One coach is on it.

One coach is NOT.

Amen brother
dorianwrite
Rookie
And1: 271

Post#90 » by dorianwrite » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:44 am

Gee, people are cutting and passing. No stars on the court and it's garbage time, but they kinda look like they're running functional basketball plays. Gosh, what happened?

They're completely screwing Avdija offensively by making him watch the Westbrook 'n' Beal 1-on-1 show.
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#91 » by 80sballboy » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:47 am

Nice to see Winston and the youngsters getting some run.
truwizfan4evr
Assistant Coach
And1: 642

Post#92 » by truwizfan4evr » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:52 am

Why randle in the game so long?
You Shouldn't Play For Money, But You Should Play Because You Have A Passion For It -- Bradley Beal
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#93 » by 80sballboy » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:56 am

truwizfan4evr wrote:Why randle in the game so long?

Trying to get 40? I think Thibs panicked a bit when the lead got down to 16 or 17 and was worried they would blow it. So he brought him back in. He scored 37 in 37 minutes.
Dolevi
Senior
And1: 402

Post#94 » by Dolevi » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:06 am

Deni got pissed by the calls the refs gave him today, you could saw his frustration in the dunk he made. Moreover, when Beal and Westbrook aren't playing, he can and feels he can be more involve in the offensive rythm. Surprisly i even liked the way Brooks decided to keep him on the court without considering his fouls trouble.

You don't need to be a genius to see that the Wizards playing much better at offense when they start pass the ball more, let guys touch the ball and get into the game offensively. Suddenly you see Deni, TBJ and Wagner being active on offense. Why it can't happen while Beal and Westbrook are in the court? Because your offense lasts 5 seconds and one player drives for a 1 on 1 bucket, because in each offense your best player just dribble and handle the ball without moving it (and as a result of that other players at offense aren't in movement and they can't touch him). Because there is no passing game and no intention to let your guys get into the game, it's all about you. Why the SFs of the Knicks are so involved in the game, and the Wiz's SFs struggle to find themselves in the game? It's no coincidence. They just play better team basketball then we do, they think firstly about movement without the ball, and sharing it with other players, instead of their stats. They Play like a team actually. The other players's USG% on this team must be higher. This team is clearly un-balanced while Westbrook and Beal are together in the court.

This team needs a change in the part of the players, and in the part of the coaching.
likwitdesi
Starter
And1: 60

Post#95 » by likwitdesi » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:21 am

This loss was kind of it for me on the direction of the season. It was a golden chance to start making up some ground given the schedule over the next month but now you are 12 games out of 500. This team is going to end up with a bottom 8 record in the league and will end up with a lottery pick. Where? Who knows?

If we don't get a pick in the top 4, I think Beal knows that means that realistically we have to part ways. With the 2nd half Russ is having, I don't think we'll have issues moving him either to a team that doesn't care about the tax. If we do get a top 4 pick, I hope Beal gets Ted's commitment to spend well into the luxury tax if needed (which he might do if fans are allowed back for 2021-2022)

I don't really blame Tommy for this - Ernie left the cupboard very bare moving Oubre and Porter for no value and giving away first rounders like candy for rentals and aging vets (it tickles me that the pick we gave away for Bojan became Jarrett Allen).
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,306

Post#96 » by nate33 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:22 am

prime1time wrote:What's the argument for not playing Troy Brown Jr when we are this bad? We tried Matthews, we won games but now we are even worse off than we first started. Give Brown Jr a chance dear lord.

Yeah, I like Mathews, but now that the scouting report is out on him, teams are going after him defensively. He's not terrible, but he's definitely below average defensively. The Mathews experiment has run its course. I still want him to play, but it's time to move him to the bench and start Troy Brown.
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 43,661

Post#97 » by DaGawd » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:51 am

80sballboy wrote:
truwizfan4evr wrote:Why randle in the game so long?

Trying to get 40? I think Thibs panicked a bit when the lead got down to 16 or 17 and was worried they would blow it. So he brought him back in. He scored 37 in 37 minutes.

Pretty much. Thibs has 0 trust in our bench and I can’t really blame him. It’s made up mostly of our 3 recent first round picks Frank,Obi and occasionally Knox.. all who are borderline G leaguers at this point
BaF
Washington Wizards
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,350

Post#98 » by Kanyewest » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:57 am

Thibs also has propensity to play his starters in blowouts even back with the Bulls, he used to play Rose and the starters in blowouts.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#99 » by Ruzious » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:41 am

I had to laugh when the decision was made to put Beal and later Westbrook on Randle - as if this was a lesson to Rui and Deni that this is how a pro plays defense. Meanwhile, Beal hadn't been breaking a sweat on defense. That is not coaching.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
RealGM

Post#100 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:35 pm

Jimmy Recard wrote:

:clap:

That was putting it kindly. :D
Bye bye Beal.

Return to Washington Wizards