ImageImageImageImageImage

Wizards trade Brown and Wagner for Gafford and Hutchinson

Moderators: montestewart, LyricalRico, nate33

NatP4
RealGM
Posts: 10,692
And1: 3,455
Joined: Jul 24, 2016
         

Re: Wizards trade Brown and Wagner for Gafford and Hutchinson 

Post#221 » by NatP4 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:50 am

nate33 wrote:Whatever my opinion is on Hutchison, can we all agree that he has the most amazing hairline in the NBA?


I’m trying to remember who he looks like....some dude that played for the clippers like 10 years ago. Was a wing player that was a good shooter.
NatP4
RealGM
Posts: 10,692
And1: 3,455
Joined: Jul 24, 2016
         

Re: Wizards trade Brown and Wagner for Gafford and Hutchinson 

Post#222 » by NatP4 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:59 am

I’m all aboard the Daniel Gafford hype train. I think we found our C of the future. Hutchison looks like a quality low usage off the ball 3&D wing with smart cutting ability. His defense was outstanding from what I saw.
User avatar
wall_glizzy
Sophomore
Posts: 216
And1: 129
Joined: Jun 15, 2019
 

Re: Wizards trade Brown and Wagner for Gafford and Hutchinson 

Post#223 » by wall_glizzy » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:35 am

nate33 wrote:Whatever my opinion is on Hutchison, can we all agree that he has the most amazing hairline in the NBA?


The cornrows hide it a bit, but I'd still have a hard time putting him ahead of Paul "Threehead" George

Image
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 43,826
And1: 8,664
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: Wizards trade Brown and Wagner for Gafford and Hutchinson 

Post#224 » by Ruzious » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:33 am

Any word on Gafford's ankle? Not a good sign that he was in a wheelchair.

The trade's looking great. Hitch is quite an athlete - looks a lot stronger than TBJ even though they're about the same weight - and real good agility. Once he got the yips out with a couple bad passes, he was clicking with Westbrook - like everyone else was.
"Look, you never know when you may need to borrow a cup of sugar, maybe some milk or a handgun" - Dan C. from Texas
AWIZZINGBULLET
Rookie
Posts: 1,173
And1: 122
Joined: Apr 08, 2012

Re: Wizards trade Brown and Wagner for Gafford and Hutchinson 

Post#225 » by AWIZZINGBULLET » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:16 am

Ruzious wrote:Any word on Gafford's ankle? Not a good sign that he was in a wheelchair.

The trade's looking great. Hitch is quite an athlete - looks a lot stronger than TBJ even though he's listed at 195 lbs - I'd guess he's closer to 220 with the hair - great agility.


I Googled his injury about 5 minutes before you posted. I can't remember feeling as deflated seeing an injured Wizard since Gilbert Arenas' injury back in the day.

Gafford may actually be as important to the defense (and aspects of the offense) as Gilbert Arenas was to the offense.
User avatar
closg00
RealGM
Posts: 21,095
And1: 2,766
Joined: Nov 21, 2004

Re: Wizards trade Brown and Wagner for Gafford and Hutchinson 

Post#226 » by closg00 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:31 pm

The Wizards stumble onto exactly the type of C they have needed for years
Scott Brooks is a bad coach, but sometimes we get lucky
MDStar
Senior
Posts: 505
And1: 66
Joined: Oct 22, 2003
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Wizards trade Brown and Wagner for Gafford and Hutchinson 

Post#227 » by MDStar » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:13 pm

AWIZZINGBULLET wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Any word on Gafford's ankle? Not a good sign that he was in a wheelchair.

The trade's looking great. Hitch is quite an athlete - looks a lot stronger than TBJ even though he's listed at 195 lbs - I'd guess he's closer to 220 with the hair - great agility.


I Googled his injury about 5 minutes before you posted. I can't remember feeling as deflated seeing an injured Wizard since Gilbert Arenas' injury back in the day.

Gafford may actually be as important to the defense (and aspects of the offense) as Gilbert Arenas was to the offense.


I know you said "may" but that's a helluva statement to make at 1.5 games.
Just let the young boys play! It's truly the only hope at this point.
User avatar
FAH1223
RealGM
Posts: 11,698
And1: 4,391
Joined: Nov 01, 2005
Location: Laurel, MD
       

Re: Wizards trade Brown and Wagner for Gafford and Hutchinson 

Post#228 » by FAH1223 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:17 pm

Ruzious wrote:Any word on Gafford's ankle? Not a good sign that he was in a wheelchair.

The trade's looking great. Hitch is quite an athlete - looks a lot stronger than TBJ even though they're about the same weight - and real good agility. Once he got the yips out with a couple bad passes, he was clicking with Westbrook - like everyone else was.


He was standing with a cane in the locker room during their celebration of Westbrook's historic night.

I bet he's in a walking boot for a couple weeks... definitely out 4-6 weeks IMO just of how high ankle sprains are...
Image
NatP4
RealGM
Posts: 10,692
And1: 3,455
Joined: Jul 24, 2016
         

Re: Wizards trade Brown and Wagner for Gafford and Hutchinson 

Post#229 » by NatP4 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:29 pm

closg00 wrote:The Wizards stumble onto exactly the type of C they have needed for years


I give them a little bit more credit than that just because Sheppard did acquire one of the pieces used in the trade(Wagner) for practically nothing, and he wasn’t technically the guy that drafted Brown Jr.
User avatar
Doug_Blew
Junior
Posts: 315
And1: 228
Joined: Jul 19, 2003
Location: West Side

Re: Wizards trade Brown and Wagner for Gafford and Hutchinson 

Post#230 » by Doug_Blew » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:37 pm

Not sure if true, but there was a report that Markkanen was Shepherd's initial target but took Gafford and Hutch as the fallback plan. I'm happy that he did.
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 43,826
And1: 8,664
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: Wizards trade Brown and Wagner for Gafford and Hutchinson 

Post#231 » by Ruzious » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:07 pm

Nothing new, but this was the view from Rotoworld.com:

Daniel Gafford went high in the air for a rebound on Monday and came down Edmond Sumner's foot and badly injured his right ankle.

He'll surely have an MRI and hope that nothing is broken but this didn't look good on television and he is likely to miss substantial time with the injury, just from a first glance. He was playing well, hitting 4-of-6 shots for 11 points, six rebounds and two blocks in 15 minutes. If he's going to miss time look for Alex Len and Robin Lopez to get most of the center minutes in Washington.

Mar 29, 2021, 8:58 PM ET
"Look, you never know when you may need to borrow a cup of sugar, maybe some milk or a handgun" - Dan C. from Texas
NatP4
RealGM
Posts: 10,692
And1: 3,455
Joined: Jul 24, 2016
         

Re: Wizards trade Brown and Wagner for Gafford and Hutchinson 

Post#232 » by NatP4 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:23 pm

After just 2 games with the wiz, Gafford’s numbers for the 2020-2021 season per 36:

15 points 10 rebounds 3.4 blocks 1.1 steals on 71% TS.
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 43,826
And1: 8,664
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: Wizards trade Brown and Wagner for Gafford and Hutchinson 

Post#233 » by Ruzious » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:38 pm

NatP4 wrote:After just 2 games with the wiz, Gafford’s numbers for the 2020-2021 season per 36:

15 points 10 rebounds 3.4 blocks 1.1 steals on 71% TS.

He was already proving to be the anti-tank missile, so... arrangements had to be made.

But seriously, the trade is not only important for getting 2 talented young players; it's that the 2 players both put an emphasis on defense. It's like getting a head start on the off-season goals.
"Look, you never know when you may need to borrow a cup of sugar, maybe some milk or a handgun" - Dan C. from Texas
User avatar
FAH1223
RealGM
Posts: 11,698
And1: 4,391
Joined: Nov 01, 2005
Location: Laurel, MD
       

Re: Wizards trade Brown and Wagner for Gafford and Hutchinson 

Post#234 » by FAH1223 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:28 pm

Read on Twitter
Image
AWIZZINGBULLET
Rookie
Posts: 1,173
And1: 122
Joined: Apr 08, 2012

Re: Wizards trade Brown and Wagner for Gafford and Hutchinson 

Post#235 » by AWIZZINGBULLET » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:48 pm

MDStar wrote:
AWIZZINGBULLET wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Any word on Gafford's ankle? Not a good sign that he was in a wheelchair.

The trade's looking great. Hitch is quite an athlete - looks a lot stronger than TBJ even though he's listed at 195 lbs - I'd guess he's closer to 220 with the hair - great agility.


I Googled his injury about 5 minutes before you posted. I can't remember feeling as deflated seeing an injured Wizard since Gilbert Arenas' injury back in the day.

Gafford may actually be as important to the defense (and aspects of the offense) as Gilbert Arenas was to the offense.


I know you said "may" but that's a helluva statement to make at 1.5 games.


It is early, I know, but given the crap paint defense that the team's endured for so long and seeing how Gafford's altered both games he's played as a Wizard, IMO it's fair.

Last great Wizards' paint defender that comes to mind is Emeka Okafor, I think Gafford is somewhere in the area.
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 43,826
And1: 8,664
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: Wizards trade Brown and Wagner for Gafford and Hutchinson 

Post#236 » by Ruzious » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:28 pm

NatP4 wrote:
nate33 wrote:Whatever my opinion is on Hutchison, can we all agree that he has the most amazing hairline in the NBA?


I’m trying to remember who he looks like....some dude that played for the clippers like 10 years ago. Was a wing player that was a good shooter.

Matt Barnes?
"Look, you never know when you may need to borrow a cup of sugar, maybe some milk or a handgun" - Dan C. from Texas
NatP4
RealGM
Posts: 10,692
And1: 3,455
Joined: Jul 24, 2016
         

Re: Wizards trade Brown and Wagner for Gafford and Hutchinson 

Post#237 » by NatP4 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:18 pm

Ruzious wrote:
NatP4 wrote:
nate33 wrote:Whatever my opinion is on Hutchison, can we all agree that he has the most amazing hairline in the NBA?


I’m trying to remember who he looks like....some dude that played for the clippers like 10 years ago. Was a wing player that was a good shooter.

Matt Barnes?



Figured it out. Ryan Gomes.
User avatar
queridiculo
RealGM
Posts: 15,262
And1: 6,598
Joined: Mar 29, 2005
Location: Maximum Pain Zone
   

Re: Wizards trade Brown and Wagner for Gafford and Hutchinson 

Post#238 » by queridiculo » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:06 pm

Ruzious wrote:
NatP4 wrote:After just 2 games with the wiz, Gafford’s numbers for the 2020-2021 season per 36:

15 points 10 rebounds 3.4 blocks 1.1 steals on 71% TS.

He was already proving to be the anti-tank missile, so... arrangements had to be made.

But seriously, the trade is not only important for getting 2 talented young players; it's that the 2 players both put an emphasis on defense. It's like getting a head start on the off-season goals.


Gafford being under team control for two more season after this one is a real boon.
Frichuela
Pro Prospect
Posts: 799
And1: 490
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
 

Re: Wizards trade Brown and Wagner for Gafford and Hutchinson 

Post#239 » by Frichuela » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:21 pm

queridiculo wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
NatP4 wrote:After just 2 games with the wiz, Gafford’s numbers for the 2020-2021 season per 36:

15 points 10 rebounds 3.4 blocks 1.1 steals on 71% TS.

He was already proving to be the anti-tank missile, so... arrangements had to be made.

But seriously, the trade is not only important for getting 2 talented young players; it's that the 2 players both put an emphasis on defense. It's like getting a head start on the off-season goals.


Gafford being under team control for two more season after this one is a real boon.


Agreed and on a very cheap contract! plus the RFA option at the end :nod:
NatP4
RealGM
Posts: 10,692
And1: 3,455
Joined: Jul 24, 2016
         

Re: Wizards trade Brown and Wagner for Gafford and Hutchinson 

Post#240 » by NatP4 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:28 pm

Frichuela wrote:
queridiculo wrote:
Ruzious wrote:He was already proving to be the anti-tank missile, so... arrangements had to be made.

But seriously, the trade is not only important for getting 2 talented young players; it's that the 2 players both put an emphasis on defense. It's like getting a head start on the off-season goals.


Gafford being under team control for two more season after this one is a real boon.


Agreed and on a very cheap contract! plus the RFA option at the end :nod:


That extra year is huge. Even if Gafford turns out to be a home run and develops into a star player, we can re sign him because Westbrook comes off the books that off-season. Brown Jr would likely have become a cap casualty if he were to breakout before the end of his rookie deal.

It was a small move that put the wiz in a MUCH better situation financially. Now, if only they would’ve moved Bertans....

Return to Washington Wizards