ImageImageImageImageImage

Uh Oh... People think the Bullets are getting into the Play-In Tournament

Moderators: montestewart, LyricalRico, nate33

User avatar
doclinkin
RealGM
Posts: 10,646
And1: 2,814
Joined: Jul 26, 2004
Location: .wizuds.

Re: Uh Oh... People think the Bullets are getting into the Play-In Tournament 

Post#81 » by doclinkin » Sun May 2, 2021 5:21 pm

dckingsfan wrote:Question: If we are 9th or 10th are we still in the lottery? How does that work?


A team that starts the play in games and makes the playoffs becomes the 8th seed. The others get bumped back. The lottery odds for the 9th and 10th teams are really cruddy though. We would have like an 11% chance of a top 4 pick if the season ended right now. It drops off incrementally as we win. If we finished as the 9th seed after the post season starts we would have a 2.4% chance to jump into the top 4.
verbal8
General Manager
Posts: 8,091
And1: 1,208
Joined: Jul 20, 2006
Location: Herndon, VA
     

Re: Uh Oh... People think the Bullets are getting into the Play-In Tournament 

Post#82 » by verbal8 » Sun May 2, 2021 5:43 pm

nate33 wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:Question: If we are 9th or 10th are we still in the lottery? How does that work?

I haven't seen a definitive answer on that.


I don't think the play-in is considered play-offs - I think winning through the play-ins would mean leaving the lottery and the team missing the play-offs would be get a lottery seed/odds.

http://www.tankathon.com/pick_odds
WallToWall
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,852
And1: 498
Joined: May 20, 2010
         

Re: Uh Oh... People think the Bullets are getting into the Play-In Tournament 

Post#83 » by WallToWall » Sun May 2, 2021 6:31 pm

Magic number is now 6 wins, with 8 games to go, for the 10th spot.
User avatar
pancakes3
General Manager
Posts: 8,376
And1: 1,824
Joined: Jul 27, 2003
Location: Virginia
Contact:

Re: Uh Oh... People think the Bullets are getting into the Play-In Tournament 

Post#84 » by pancakes3 » Sun May 2, 2021 6:53 pm

pancakes3 wrote:i bought tickets for Wiz/Pacers on May 3 and i am PUMPED.


the uva fan in me is sad that brogdon pulled his hammy and is doubtful for tomorrow's game but the wiz fan wants to get that dub.

also very excited to see Gafford in person. he had a heck of an April and reminds me of when Jarett Allen broke out 2-3 seasons ago.
Bullets -> Wizards
User avatar
doclinkin
RealGM
Posts: 10,646
And1: 2,814
Joined: Jul 26, 2004
Location: .wizuds.

Re: Uh Oh... People think the Bullets are getting into the Play-In Tournament 

Post#85 » by doclinkin » Sun May 2, 2021 7:29 pm

verbal8 wrote:
nate33 wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:Question: If we are 9th or 10th are we still in the lottery? How does that work?

I haven't seen a definitive answer on that.


I don't think the play-in is considered play-offs - I think winning through the play-ins would mean leaving the lottery and the team missing the play-offs would be get a lottery seed/odds.

http://www.tankathon.com/pick_odds


This is correct.
WallToWall
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,852
And1: 498
Joined: May 20, 2010
         

Re: Uh Oh... People think the Bullets are getting into the Play-In Tournament 

Post#86 » by WallToWall » Tue May 4, 2021 4:47 am

Magic number is 5 wins with 7 games to go. Chicago lost, and Toronto won, so that puts just Toronto in 12th spot behind us. We are a half game behind the pacers for 9th, and one and a half games behind Hornets in 8th.
User avatar
FAH1223
RealGM
Posts: 11,837
And1: 4,455
Joined: Nov 01, 2005
Location: Laurel, MD
       

Re: Uh Oh... People think the Bullets are getting into the Play-In Tournament 

Post#87 » by FAH1223 » Tue May 4, 2021 8:42 pm

Image
9 and 20
Sophomore
Posts: 128
And1: 60
Joined: Mar 28, 2021
 

Re: Uh Oh... People think the Bullets are getting into the Play-In Tournament 

Post#88 » by 9 and 20 » Wed May 5, 2021 4:01 am

I want the Celtics to end up the 7 or 8 seed. We still owe them for that bullcrap loss earlier this year.
Can't say I do.
User avatar
gesa2
Pro Prospect
Posts: 800
And1: 81
Joined: Jun 21, 2007
Location: Warwick MD
       

Re: Uh Oh... People think the Bullets are getting into the Play-In Tournament 

Post#89 » by gesa2 » Wed May 5, 2021 11:33 am

Is it bad that I’m seeing Nate Bjorken in the news and quietly celebrating?
User avatar
queridiculo
RealGM
Posts: 15,386
And1: 6,688
Joined: Mar 29, 2005
Location: Maximum Pain Zone
   

Re: Uh Oh... People think the Bullets are getting into the Play-In Tournament 

Post#90 » by queridiculo » Wed May 5, 2021 12:40 pm

I am really curious what the Wizards plan on doing to address their gaping hole at small forward.

Assuming the Wizards win out and face off against the Sixers, I just don't see how they can reasonably expect to keep starting Westbrook, Beal and Neto.
User avatar
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 59,696
And1: 12,382
Joined: Oct 28, 2002

Re: Uh Oh... People think the Bullets are getting into the Play-In Tournament 

Post#91 » by nate33 » Wed May 5, 2021 12:47 pm

The Raptors lose a close one on the road to the Clippers.

The Wizards are now up 3.5 games above the 11th seed.
User avatar
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 59,696
And1: 12,382
Joined: Oct 28, 2002

Re: Uh Oh... People think the Bullets are getting into the Play-In Tournament 

Post#92 » by nate33 » Wed May 5, 2021 12:52 pm

queridiculo wrote:I am really curious what the Wizards plan on doing to address their gaping hole at small forward.

Assuming the Wizards win out and face off against the Sixers, I just don't see how they can reasonably expect to keep starting Westbrook, Beal and Neto.

There just isn't much they can do. I think they're just going to hope that Westbrook or Beal can guard small forwards. Obviously, we will see some of Bertans at SF but they won't start him. I don't think they'll have much confidence in Hutchison, particularly if he bricks his first couple of shots.

I'm a little surprised that Mathews has fallen out of the rotation. I guess they think that even though he is taller than Neto, he's not really any better defensively. They're rather just have Beal/Westbrook guarding their small forward with Neto on their PG, instead of having Mathews guarding their small forward.
Frichuela
Rookie
Posts: 1,009
And1: 567
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
 

Re: Uh Oh... People think the Bullets are getting into the Play-In Tournament 

Post#93 » by Frichuela » Wed May 5, 2021 1:30 pm

nate33 wrote:
queridiculo wrote:I am really curious what the Wizards plan on doing to address their gaping hole at small forward.

Assuming the Wizards win out and face off against the Sixers, I just don't see how they can reasonably expect to keep starting Westbrook, Beal and Neto.

There just isn't much they can do. I think they're just going to hope that Westbrook or Beal can guard small forwards. Obviously, we will see some of Bertans at SF but they won't start him. I don't think they'll have much confidence in Hutchison, particularly if he bricks his first couple of shots.

I'm a little surprised that Mathews has fallen out of the rotation. I guess they think that even though he is taller than Neto, he's not really any better defensively. They're rather just have Beal/Westbrook guarding their small forward with Neto on their PG, instead of having Mathews guarding their small forward.


Agreed. A sad state of affairs. We could be annihilated by the Sixers size if we continue to start Neto next to Beal and Russ. Let's pray Hutchison has a miraculous stretch of good shooting in the final 7 games of the regular season.
payitforward
RealGM
Posts: 16,086
And1: 5,135
Joined: May 02, 2012
Location: On the Atlantic

Re: Uh Oh... People think the Bullets are getting into the Play-In Tournament 

Post#94 » by payitforward » Wed May 5, 2021 2:05 pm

nate33 wrote:
queridiculo wrote:I am really curious what the Wizards plan on doing to address their gaping hole at small forward.

Assuming the Wizards win out and face off against the Sixers, I just don't see how they can reasonably expect to keep starting Westbrook, Beal and Neto.

There just isn't much they can do. I think they're just going to hope that Westbrook or Beal can guard small forwards. Obviously, we will see some of Bertans at SF but they won't start him. I don't think they'll have much confidence in Hutchison, particularly if he bricks his first couple of shots.

I'm a little surprised that Mathews has fallen out of the rotation. I guess they think that even though he is taller than Neto, he's not really any better defensively. They're rather just have Beal/Westbrook guarding their small forward with Neto on their PG, instead of having Mathews guarding their small forward.

Over the last few monts, for whatever reasons, Mathews has rarely seen the floor in lineups where he has much opportunity to do the thing he does best. He gets very few shots, & increasingly the shots he does get are last-second, last resort attempts.

As a result, his numbers have fallen. Now... we are winning, so it's hard to worry too much about him. But, I put this on Brooks all the same. & it reminds me distinctly of what his "coaching" did to Troy Brown.

On the assumption that Brooks will be gone next year & that Mathews will be with us, I'm optimistic that this will be a short-term problem.
Remember -- if you don't like the post above: blame Doc not me.
dobrojim
RealGM
Posts: 14,042
And1: 1,936
Joined: Sep 16, 2004

Re: Uh Oh... People think the Bullets are getting into the Play-In Tournament 

Post#95 » by dobrojim » Wed May 5, 2021 2:14 pm

Gooden (can he be taken seriously?) was going off during games a month or two
ago about how Mathews was going to get paid. If true, I suspect that can't happen here.
I'm not sure Brooks gets fired either.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity
dckingsfan
RealGM
Posts: 22,577
And1: 9,467
Joined: May 28, 2010

Re: Uh Oh... People think the Bullets are getting into the Play-In Tournament 

Post#96 » by dckingsfan » Wed May 5, 2021 9:27 pm

nate33 wrote:The Raptors lose a close one on the road to the Clippers.

The Wizards are now up 3.5 games above the 11th seed.

Fivethiryeight has the Raptors finishing with 30 wins and us with 33.

I think it is over unless we have a bunch of injuries...
WallToWall
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,852
And1: 498
Joined: May 20, 2010
         

Re: Uh Oh... People think the Bullets are getting into the Play-In Tournament 

Post#97 » by WallToWall » Thu May 6, 2021 3:19 pm

Magic number still at 4, with 6 games left to play, for the 10th spot. There is a good chance that we get the 9th spot as we are, at the moment, a half game behind the Pacers.
User avatar
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 59,696
And1: 12,382
Joined: Oct 28, 2002

Re: Uh Oh... People think the Bullets are getting into the Play-In Tournament 

Post#98 » by nate33 » Fri May 7, 2021 2:53 am

Magic number is now 2. Over the remaining 5 games, the total Wizards wins plus Toronto losses must be 2 or more for us to stay ahead of them for the 10th seed.

The magic number for Chicago is 3, but they have 6 games to play (giving them one extra opportunity to accumulate a loss).

We are a half-game behind Indiana and play them Saturday. They have 6 games to go, including us, CLE, PHI, MIL, LAL, TOR.

We are 1.5 games behind Charlotte. They still have to play ORL, NOP, DEN, LAC, NYK and WAS

We still have to play IND, ATL, ATL, CLE, CHA
dckingsfan
RealGM
Posts: 22,577
And1: 9,467
Joined: May 28, 2010

Re: Uh Oh... People think the Bullets are getting into the Play-In Tournament 

Post#99 » by dckingsfan » Fri May 7, 2021 3:02 am

nate33 wrote:Magic number is now 2. Over the remaining 5 games, the total Wizards wins plus Toronto losses must be 2 or more for us to stay ahead of them for the 10th seed.

The magic number for Chicago is 3, but they have 6 games to play (giving them one extra opportunity to accumulate a loss).

We are a half-game behind Indiana and play them Saturday. They have 6 games to go, including us, CLE, PHI, MIL, LAL, TOR.

We are 1.5 games behind Charlotte. They still have to play ORL, NOP, DEN, LAC, NYK and WAS

We still have to play IND, ATL, ATL, CLE, CHA

So, are we thinking that 9th gives us the best odds and still keeps us in the lottery? Funny thinking, I know :oops:

FiveThirtyEight
Hornets - 35
Pacers - 34
Wizards - 33
Raptors - 30
Bulls - 29
User avatar
Doug_Blew
Junior
Posts: 333
And1: 242
Joined: Jul 19, 2003
Location: West Side

Re: Uh Oh... People think the Bullets are getting into the Play-In Tournament 

Post#100 » by Doug_Blew » Fri May 7, 2021 3:46 am

nate33 wrote:Magic number is now 2. Over the remaining 5 games, the total Wizards wins plus Toronto losses must be 2 or more for us to stay ahead of them for the 10th seed.

The magic number for Chicago is 3, but they have 6 games to play (giving them one extra opportunity to accumulate a loss).

We are a half-game behind Indiana and play them Saturday. They have 6 games to go, including us, CLE, PHI, MIL, LAL, TOR.

We are 1.5 games behind Charlotte. They still have to play ORL, NOP, DEN, LAC, NYK and WAS

We still have to play IND, ATL, ATL, CLE, CHA


Charlotte has 34 losses and the tie breaker. We have 36 losses. I think they'd have to lose 3 more games then us in order to overtake them. Odds dont seem as good as when I saw the 1.5 games back.

Return to Washington Wizards