GT #68: Wizards @ Pacers 7:00PM EST

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Re: GT #68: Wizards @ Pacers 7:00PM EST 

Post#121 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun May 9, 2021 8:12 am

Dat2U wrote:
Tyrone Messby wrote:Beal is not a leader of men. This is Westbrook’s team in just under a season. Beal will always be the Robin to Batman. He is more Scottie Pippen than Jordan. Yet he acts like he is the franchise. That IS my issue with him.

I have no issue with him. That man came into the league as a spot up shooter and added an insane amount of skill in his game to become one the most polished and smooth scorers in the NBA ever. Improved every single year. He's top 3 at that for sure. He's everything you could want in a professional athlete to root for. I love watching him play nowadays. I'm not going to complain because he's not MJ or Kobe.

If Brad were two or three inches taller, he’d be right there amongst Kobe and MJ. That’s the biggest difference IMO. They’re taller.

Beal is putting up 31 a game. He’d score at least 5-6 more a game at a legit 6’6”
Bye bye Beal.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,339

Post#122 » by nate33 » Sun May 9, 2021 1:05 pm

Tyrone Messby wrote:Just imagine if Beal had an ounce of alpha in him similar to Westbrook. He’d be a superstar.

This is just utter nonsense.

Do you think Beal plays like he is scared out there or something? WTF are you talking about?

Beal can be faulted for not being physically imposing enough to exert his will on a game in crunch time, but it's not because of a lack of "alpha" or whatever that's supposed to mean. Beal is awesome and gets better every year. If you asked me 3 years ago, I never would have believed he'd be a top 2 scorer in the NBA two years running. What he has done has been incredible. He is so remarkably skilled, with the ability to score anywhere on the court. It's not his fault that he isn't 6-8 or that he lacks Westbrook's once-in-a-generation hyper-athleticism. The man has done everything conceivable to maximize his production given the restraints on his physical ability. I don't see how anyone can be critical of him with respect to his work ethic, motivation, professionalism, and confidence.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Post#123 » by tontoz » Sun May 9, 2021 1:23 pm

Methinks you need a bit of alpha to drop 50 in the NBA.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
Tyrone Messby
Bench Warmer
And1: 417

Post#124 » by Tyrone Messby » Sun May 9, 2021 1:49 pm

I am not arguing Beal’s talent here. And maybe my post had no place in this thread. I can understand that. But we would be headed towards another lottery if Westbrook wasn’t here. Beal has never put this team on his back and carried them. We’ve always been significantly under .500 with him leading the way.
BallinBug
Senior
And1: 482

Post#125 » by BallinBug » Sun May 9, 2021 2:00 pm

dcstanley wrote:Would you guys take peak Wall over Westbrook in the last 20 or so games?

Lol, why would you ever ask this question? Russ has probably 10 games this season that are better than any game Wall has ever had.
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,974

Post#126 » by DCZards » Sun May 9, 2021 2:03 pm

Tyrone Messby wrote:I am not arguing Beal’s talent here. And maybe my post had no place in this thread. I can understand that. But we would be headed towards another lottery if Westbrook wasn’t here. Beal has never put this team on his back and carried them. We’ve always been significantly under .500 with him leading the way.

Do you watch Wizards basketball? Have you seen how bad the Zards have been talent wise in recent years...especially with Wall out hurt? You can't seriously expect Beal to be able to put those teams on his back and carry them.

And, guess what, this team would be headed to another lottery this year if we had Westbrook but no Beal.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,339

Post#127 » by nate33 » Sun May 9, 2021 2:24 pm

DCZards wrote:
Tyrone Messby wrote:I am not arguing Beal’s talent here. And maybe my post had no place in this thread. I can understand that. But we would be headed towards another lottery if Westbrook wasn’t here. Beal has never put this team on his back and carried them. We’ve always been significantly under .500 with him leading the way.

Do you watch Wizards basketball? Have you seen how bad the Zards have been talent wise in recent years...especially with Wall out hurt? You can't seriously expect Beal to be able to put those teams on his back and carry them.

And, guess what, this team would be headed to another lottery this year if we had Westbrook but no Beal.

The Wizards are 1-8 without Beal.

They're 4-3 without Westbrook.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#128 » by payitforward » Sun May 9, 2021 2:26 pm

Tyrone Messby wrote:Beal is not a leader of men. This is Westbrook’s team in just under a season. Beal will always be the Robin to Batman. He is more Scottie Pippen than Jordan. Yet he acts like he is the franchise. That IS my issue with him.

As you say, this is YOUR issue. Beal has limits. Every player has limits. No reason not to point them out. But, maybe in a different thread would be better? & at a different moment?

I don't mean to be harsh, I really don't. But we just won an unbelievably exciting game. One of those victories that really define a team's identity. It was big.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#129 » by payitforward » Sun May 9, 2021 2:30 pm

Dat2U wrote:...(Bradley Beal) came into the league as a spot up shooter and added an insane amount of skill in his game to become one the most polished and smooth scorers in the NBA ever. Improved every single year. He's top 3 at that for sure. He's everything you could want in a professional athlete to root for. I love watching him play nowadays. I'm not going to complain because he's not MJ or Kobe.

I'd say this is an absolutely perfect description, dat. Well done!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#130 » by payitforward » Sun May 9, 2021 2:35 pm

nate33 wrote:
Tyrone Messby wrote:Just imagine if Beal had an ounce of alpha in him similar to Westbrook. He’d be a superstar.

This is just utter nonsense.

Do you think Beal plays like he is scared out there or something? WTF are you talking about?

Beal can be faulted for not being physically imposing enough to exert his will on a game in crunch time, but it's not because of a lack of "alpha" or whatever that's supposed to mean. Beal is awesome and gets better every year. If you asked me 3 years ago, I never would have believed he'd be a top 2 scorer in the NBA two years running. What he has done has been incredible. He is so remarkably skilled, with the ability to score anywhere on the court. It's not his fault that he isn't 6-8 or that he lacks Westbrook's once-in-a-generation hyper-athleticism. The man has done everything conceivable to maximize his production given the restraints on his physical ability. I don't see how anyone can be critical of him with respect to his work ethic, motivation, professionalism, and confidence.

Another outstanding commentary! Good for you, nate.
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Post#131 » by WallToWall » Sun May 9, 2021 2:40 pm

Beal can carry a team on his back, but needs support, like any other great scorer on any team in the league. This is a team game, and one player can't completely carry a team. LeTravel can't. There were games Kobe, and MJ couldn't win by themselves. Westbrook, by himself, can't either.
I trust Beal to keep the team in the game. He may not always have the "dagger" in him, but he will get the team there where someone can be "dagger". What more can you ask for? Westbrook does the same, but in a different way.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#132 » by payitforward » Sun May 9, 2021 2:41 pm

Again, every player -- every person -- has limits.

But... this is not the moment & this is not the thread where we need to analyze Brad's limits.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#133 » by Dat2U » Sun May 9, 2021 3:30 pm

The NBA is amazing in how two really good players can carry a 15-man roster. Sure their getting bit contributions here and there but make no mistake, Brad & Russ are doing the heavy lifting. The margin of error is small af right now which is why Gafford makes all the difference in the world but we're in every game no matter the opponent with a healthy dynamic duo.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,010

Post#134 » by dckingsfan » Sun May 9, 2021 5:20 pm

Dat2U wrote:The NBA is amazing in how two really good players can carry a 15-man roster. Sure their getting bit contributions here and there but make no mistake, Brad & Russ are doing the heavy lifting. The margin of error is small af right now which is why Gafford makes all the difference in the world but we're in every game no matter the opponent with a healthy dynamic duo.

It really is interesting to watch what they can do as a tandem. I have to admit that I like Brook's C rotation as much as I hate his 3 PG rotation - it has allowed the Cs to stay fresh.

It is probably worth the notion to think about this at the PF position too (for next year - we are too thin this year)?
thebigE
Junior
And1: 90

Post#135 » by thebigE » Sun May 9, 2021 7:13 pm

Tommy Sheppard getting it done.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#136 » by payitforward » Sun May 9, 2021 7:34 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
Dat2U wrote:The NBA is amazing in how two really good players can carry a 15-man roster. Sure their getting bit contributions here and there but make no mistake, Brad & Russ are doing the heavy lifting. The margin of error is small af right now which is why Gafford makes all the difference in the world but we're in every game no matter the opponent with a healthy dynamic duo.

It really is interesting to watch what they can do as a tandem. I have to admit that I like Brook's C rotation ...

Yes, I don't think you can leave the C rotation out & only emphasize Russ & Brad.

For one thing, on a minute by minute basis, Daniel Gafford is producing at a level above either Russ or Brad -- I don't mean he's a better player, & he's playing way fewer minutes. But... just look at the numbers: they are eye-popping. In his time with the Wiz, Daniel Gafford has been one of the 2-3 most productive Centers in the league.

As well, over the last several weeks Robin Lopez has had a stretch of outstanding games. He's brought his overall season numbers up significantly.

None of this takes anything away from Russ or Brad....
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,316

Post#137 » by NatP4 » Sun May 9, 2021 8:18 pm

Imagine how useful a high level off ball low usage 3&D wing could be.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#138 » by Kanyewest » Sun May 9, 2021 8:59 pm

nate33 wrote:
DCZards wrote:

The Wizards are 1-8 without Beal.

They're 4-3 without Westbrook.

If you go back to the bubble from last season, the Wizards are 2-15 without Beal :o
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#139 » by Dat2U » Sun May 9, 2021 9:26 pm

NatP4 wrote:

Otto Porter Jr will be available this offseason :D
MDStar
Senior
And1: 94

Post#140 » by MDStar » Sun May 9, 2021 9:32 pm

Dat2U wrote:
NatP4 wrote:

Otto Porter Jr will be available this offseason :D

Rather roll with Deni and hope for the best.
Just let the young boys play! It's truly the only hope at this point.

Return to Washington Wizards