ImageImageImageImageImage

Rui Hachimura 2.0

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 7,418

Re: Rui Hachimura 2.0 

Post#121 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Aug 2, 2021 1:43 am

prime1time wrote:Rui, really struggled last game. 6/17 from the field 1/4 from 3. The biggest issue Rui has is that he struggles to dynamically process the game. Go back to the bubble at the end of the 2019-2020 season. Going in Rui was supposed to be the focal point. The 1st game he played well if I recall then after that it completely fell apart. In the bubble teams trapped him and mixed up the looks he saw and he just stopped functioning. That's what happened last night vs. Argentina. In a must-win game, Argentina came out with a game plan of stopping Rui and Rui just looked defeated. It reminded me of being given a riddle that frustrates you to the point that eventually you just throw your hands up in the air and give up.

Rui's at his best when the game is simple and straightforward. Give Rui the ball and ask him to beat the player in front of him, he'll know what to do. But put Rui in a situation where a defense is organized to stop him and he will struggle. Now, the fact that Rui's struggles in these moments isn't necessarily the end of the world. Currently, he's still trying to develop his skillset. He's nowhere close to worrying more about how the defense is trying to stop him but hopefully he'll get there. The promising thing for Rui is that has shown the ability to learn and figure out how to attack new situations.

As for what it means going forward, it means that we should try to limit lineups where Rui is the main offensive option. And if we do have these lineups, make sure he has shooting, so his reads are simple. Good defenses and well-coached teams will shut down Rui very easily if we put him in these situations. As for how to best use Rui right now, keep it simple for him. Floor spacer, transition/fastbreak, pick-n-pop, pick-n-roll and set plays where we can give him space to work ideally on the wing where he can pull-up for a mid-range or give a hard jab step, one dribble and get to the rim. He can also exploit switches in the low post especially when a small guard switches onto him.

Right now Rui's like a poor man's Carmelo Anthony. Hopefully, he'll eventually get to the point where he's thinking more about how defenses are trying to stop him instead of improving specific offensive skills.

Dennis Green, talking about Chicago Bears:

“They are who we thought they were”.

Rui has demonstrated over two NBA seasons his production curve. Now we get new variables. New coach. No Russ. I expect more rebound numbers and MORE EFFORT and focus on defense.
After the Wizards GM really went and did it by having an imaginative, strong, draft day. I totally feel this as well;

AFM wrote:Don't sleep on these white bois. That's all I'm saying.
Gig18
Sophomore
And1: 87

Post#122 » by Gig18 » Mon Aug 2, 2021 3:32 am

payitforward wrote:
Gig18 wrote:cut him

Classic. Prime does a thoughtful, deep dive on where Rui is right now. A focused, perceptive piece of analysis.

& here you have the reaction -- essentially a mocking rejection. An admonition not to waste time thinking about Rui & his game. "Thinking" is negative. "Analysis" shows "a hater."

Gut reaction. Get tired of hearing the endless criticism of the kid. He's going into year three. Sometimes it would be cool to appreciate what he brings. We've nitpicked him to death.
No offense meant to anyone. I know the criticism will continue.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 3,211

Post#123 » by doclinkin » Sun Aug 8, 2021 3:12 am

Loving the aggression and physical play and confidence Rui displays in international play.

If he plays here with the same ferocity, we will see good things. He even boxes out, rebounds, establishes position in the paint, and oh yeah dunks the life outta Myles Turner.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 5,623

Post#124 » by payitforward » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:04 pm

Gig18 wrote:
payitforward wrote:
Gig18 wrote:cut him

Classic. Prime does a thoughtful, deep dive on where Rui is right now. A focused, perceptive piece of analysis.

& here you have the reaction -- essentially a mocking rejection. An admonition not to waste time thinking about Rui & his game. "Thinking" is negative. "Analysis" shows "a hater."

Gut reaction. Get tired of hearing the endless criticism of the kid. He's going into year three. Sometimes it would be cool to appreciate what he brings. We've nitpicked him to death.
No offense meant to anyone. I know the criticism will continue.

Just noticed your response....

Thing is, analysis is not "criticism." Nor is pointing out facts. It's not nit-picking either.

In fact, Rui gets more unqualified support here than any draft pick has ever gotten during his first few years. Compare to how Brad was treated. By the start of his 3d year, people here were calling him "a bust." As I recall, his neck was too short! Now, that is nit-picking!

Rui has lots of potential. This is a big year for him.
Remember -- if you don't like the post above: blame Doc not me.
RealGM

Post#125 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:38 am

Rui Hachimura is NOT BETTER than Kyle Kuzma.

I think Montrezl Harrell brings a lot more impact offensively and his career PER and per-36 minute stats put Rui to shame. I think it is DUMB to pencil in C as the only possible position for Harrell. I also know I would start off with having Harrell or Bertans start ahead of Rui for myriad reasons. Age. Time in the league. Incentive for them to run with starters. AND most of all bring a fired up young buck off the bench! It’s absurd to me the idea of FROM JUMP benching older equally talented dudes just because Rui has started two years.
After the Wizards GM really went and did it by having an imaginative, strong, draft day. I totally feel this as well;

pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,079

Post#126 » by pcbothwel » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:00 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Rui Hachimura is NOT BETTER than Kyle Kuzma.

I dont think that is the argument. The argument is that Rui WILL BE BETTER than Kuzma, as soon as this year.
RealGM

Post#127 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:32 am

pcbothwel wrote:

I dont think that is the argument. The argument is that Rui WILL BE BETTER than Kuzma, as soon as this year.

The first thought I had is the late Gilda Radner used to play this character on Saturday night live. She got all upset about violins on TV. Maybe it had to do with her hearing but that subject was violence. When she found out that she was mistaken she would go never mind.

Of course I have to agree with that part.

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 12,917

Post#128 » by nate33 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:48 pm

I think Montrezl Harrell brings a lot more impact offensively and his career PER and per-36 minute stats put Rui to shame. I think it is DUMB to pencil in C as the only possible position for Harrell. I also know I would start off with having Harrell or Bertans start ahead of Rui for myriad reasons. Age. Time in the league. Incentive for them to run with starters. AND most of all bring a fired up young buck off the bench! It’s absurd to me the idea of FROM JUMP benching older equally talented dudes just because Rui has started two years.

If Harrell could play any position other than center, he would have done so by now.

He played with LA last year while AD was out and they wouldn't play him at power forward alongside Gasol or Drummond even though they had a real need for forward minutes.

He played with the Clippers before that and they never played him alongside Zubac even though they were trying real hard to get Zubac minutes because he was so effective.

You can't play forward anymore if you can't shoot. It's that simple.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 4,685

Post#129 » by JWizmentality » Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:06 pm

I thought the point was to develop a young player with a far higher ceiling?
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 1,749

Post#130 » by Kanyewest » Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:05 pm

From Reddit

DCZards
General Manager
And1: 2,842

Post#131 » by DCZards » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:24 am

^^^^
Those are fighting words! We fired up over here in "Rui Nation." :D
payitforward
RealGM

Post#132 » by payitforward » Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:18 pm

I'm trying to remember which happened longest ago... that I wore a tie or that a cute young girl sat on my lap....

Reminds me of an old Muddy Waters blues that starts out:

There are two trains running
But neither goes my way....
closg00
RealGM
And1: 2,880

Post#133 » by closg00 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:24 pm

doclinkin wrote:Loving the aggression and physical play and confidence Rui displays in international play.

If he plays here with the same ferocity, we will see good things. He even boxes out, rebounds, establishes position in the paint, and oh yeah dunks the life outta Myles Turner.

Highlights, but where has this version of Rui been? I hope it's not Psychological like with Jan.
I am for trading Beal
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 10,100

Post#134 » by Ruzious » Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:31 pm

closg00 wrote:
doclinkin wrote:Loving the aggression and physical play and confidence Rui displays in international play.

Highlights, but where has this version of Rui been? I hope it's not Psychological like with Jan.

Why, he's like a young Melo. It's almost like he patterned his game after him. :wink:
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 2,842

Post#135 » by DCZards » Thu Sep 2, 2021 3:52 am

doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 3,211

Post#136 » by doclinkin » Thu Sep 2, 2021 4:00 am

Man, Richaun Holmes and Xavier Tiilman were my sleeper picks in their drafts. Good stat for Rui.
gambitx777
Head Coach
And1: 897

Post#137 » by gambitx777 » Thu Sep 2, 2021 3:29 pm

Can we say that Rui has a lot of D side potential and that he's already a decent defender ?

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
payitforward
RealGM

Post#138 » by payitforward » Thu Sep 2, 2021 4:10 pm

DCZards wrote:Image

Source...?
payitforward
RealGM

Post#139 » by payitforward » Thu Sep 2, 2021 4:15 pm

WallToWall
Sixth Man
And1: 545

Post#140 » by WallToWall » Thu Sep 2, 2021 8:34 pm

Is there any info on what this cat has been working on during the off season?

Return to Washington Wizards