ImageImageImageImageImage

Rui Hachimura 2.0

Moderators: LyricalRico, montestewart, nate33

dckingsfan
RealGM
Posts: 22,902
And1: 9,762
Joined: May 28, 2010

Re: Rui Hachimura 2.0 

Post#41 » by dckingsfan » Tue Jun 1, 2021 1:26 pm

Ruzious wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:
smoothSeph wrote:Won’t be talked about, next time Rui plays poorly Rui has a bad season this thread will be bumped and used as a reminder he’s 32 “I mean 23 24.”

Just helping you...

It depends on what point in the season it's bumped. He'll turn 24 on 2/8/22.

Well, hopefully the dissection won't come until the end of next season or at least deep into next season. And hopefully it will be a discussion about how his play in the postseason carried over to the regular season.
User avatar
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 59,888
And1: 12,574
Joined: Oct 28, 2002

Re: Rui Hachimura 2.0 

Post#42 » by nate33 » Tue Jun 1, 2021 1:36 pm

prime1time wrote:Rui’s playoff success shows why I thought he was a good draft pick. In the playoffs many players shrink offensively. Defenses play tight. You can’t just freestyle and score effectively. You need actual offensive skill. Rui has shot above 50% every game in this playoff series. Going against a vet like Harris is tough, but it is a good learning experience. Coupled with his lights out 3-point shooting and it’s not to know why this thread is so quiet. Meanwhile the player that he’s often compared to Brandon Clarke can’t even get onto the floor. Hopefully, Rui uses this series as a leaping board to enter into the offseason and improve his game.

The best thing about Rui is that you know he can't be played off the floor defensively. That's the number one prerequisite for any playoff-caliber starter.

This is one of the main reasons why we struggle so much against Philly. We've got a total of three non-centers in the rotation who can hold up defensively: Westbrook, Beal and Hachimura. Everyone else is getting picked on: Bertans, Ish, Neto. Brooks won't dare even try Mathews.

Of course, part of the trouble is Brooks' reluctance to try Hutchison or Gill in important minutes.
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 44,704
And1: 9,222
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: Rui Hachimura 2.0 

Post#43 » by Ruzious » Tue Jun 1, 2021 1:36 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:Just helping you...

It depends on what point in the season it's bumped. He'll turn 24 on 2/8/22.

Well, hopefully the dissection won't come until the end of next season or at least deep into next season. And hopefully it will be a discussion about how his play in the postseason carried over to the regular season.

Or discussing what a great trade we made getting _____ for Rui. <putting on protective gear as Rui Nation pelts me with popcorn>
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
dckingsfan
RealGM
Posts: 22,902
And1: 9,762
Joined: May 28, 2010

Re: Rui Hachimura 2.0 

Post#44 » by dckingsfan » Tue Jun 1, 2021 1:51 pm

nate33 wrote:
prime1time wrote:Rui’s playoff success shows why I thought he was a good draft pick. In the playoffs many players shrink offensively. Defenses play tight. You can’t just freestyle and score effectively. You need actual offensive skill. Rui has shot above 50% every game in this playoff series. Going against a vet like Harris is tough, but it is a good learning experience. Coupled with his lights out 3-point shooting and it’s not to know why this thread is so quiet. Meanwhile the player that he’s often compared to Brandon Clarke can’t even get onto the floor. Hopefully, Rui uses this series as a leaping board to enter into the offseason and improve his game.

The best thing about Rui is that you know he can't be played off the floor defensively. That's the number one prerequisite for any playoff-caliber starter.

This is one of the main reasons why we struggle so much against Philly. We've got a total of three non-centers in the rotation who can hold up defensively: Westbrook, Beal and Hachimura. Everyone else is getting picked on: Bertans, Ish, Neto. Brooks won't dare even try Mathews.

Of course, part of the trouble is Brooks' reluctance to try Hutchison or Gill in important minutes.

And Deni Avdija is injured...
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 44,704
And1: 9,222
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: Rui Hachimura 2.0 

Post#45 » by Ruzious » Tue Jun 1, 2021 1:56 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
nate33 wrote:
prime1time wrote:Rui’s playoff success shows why I thought he was a good draft pick. In the playoffs many players shrink offensively. Defenses play tight. You can’t just freestyle and score effectively. You need actual offensive skill. Rui has shot above 50% every game in this playoff series. Going against a vet like Harris is tough, but it is a good learning experience. Coupled with his lights out 3-point shooting and it’s not to know why this thread is so quiet. Meanwhile the player that he’s often compared to Brandon Clarke can’t even get onto the floor. Hopefully, Rui uses this series as a leaping board to enter into the offseason and improve his game.

The best thing about Rui is that you know he can't be played off the floor defensively. That's the number one prerequisite for any playoff-caliber starter.

This is one of the main reasons why we struggle so much against Philly. We've got a total of three non-centers in the rotation who can hold up defensively: Westbrook, Beal and Hachimura. Everyone else is getting picked on: Bertans, Ish, Neto. Brooks won't dare even try Mathews.

Of course, part of the trouble is Brooks' reluctance to try Hutchison or Gill in important minutes.

And Deni Avdija is injured...

Yeah, Brooks is going to make the case that the team would have been so much better if Deni and Bryant hadn't gottern injured. He'll even take credit for the team doing better without Deni. Odds are that Brooks will be here next season. The best we can hope for is he gets just a 1 year contract. <again puts on kettle corn protective gear>
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Frichuela
Rookie
Posts: 1,192
And1: 667
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
 

Re: Rui Hachimura 2.0 

Post#46 » by Frichuela » Tue Jun 1, 2021 2:04 pm

Ruzious wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:
nate33 wrote:The best thing about Rui is that you know he can't be played off the floor defensively. That's the number one prerequisite for any playoff-caliber starter.

This is one of the main reasons why we struggle so much against Philly. We've got a total of three non-centers in the rotation who can hold up defensively: Westbrook, Beal and Hachimura. Everyone else is getting picked on: Bertans, Ish, Neto. Brooks won't dare even try Mathews.

Of course, part of the trouble is Brooks' reluctance to try Hutchison or Gill in important minutes.

And Deni Avdija is injured...

Yeah, Brooks is going to make the case that the team would have been so much better if Deni and Bryant hadn't gottern injured. He'll even take credit for the team doing better without Deni. Odds are that Brooks will be here next season. The best we can hope for is he gets just a 1 year contract. <again puts on kettle corn protective gear>


I hope you are wrong and he is gone...I hate this franchises' love of mediocrity.
payitforward
RealGM
Posts: 16,466
And1: 5,294
Joined: May 02, 2012
Location: On the Atlantic

Re: Rui Hachimura 2.0 

Post#47 » by payitforward » Tue Jun 1, 2021 7:53 pm

smoothSeph wrote:
payitforward wrote:
smoothSeph wrote:...I have to believe Rui’s only job when he touches the ball is to shoot/score. Similarly with Deni who can create but is tasked to catch and shoot when he gets the ball....

Right now the relevant task is to assess where he is right now. Making unsupported claims about him won't help that.

That would make sense if we all agreed Rui is a finished product. But some of us think a 23 year old can still improve.

If the relevant task were to assess where the Wizards are this forum would be a ghost town :lol:

Of course a 23 year old can improve! He can improve a lot. Rui can become a much better player.
Remember -- if you don't like the post above: blame Doc not me.
payitforward
RealGM
Posts: 16,466
And1: 5,294
Joined: May 02, 2012
Location: On the Atlantic

Re: Rui Hachimura 2.0 

Post#48 » by payitforward » Tue Jun 1, 2021 7:58 pm

LOL -- two things we can all agree on right now:

1. Brooks need to be gone as soon as possible.
2. Rui had a truly terrific game last night -- w/o a doubt his best game as a pro!
Remember -- if you don't like the post above: blame Doc not me.
NatP4
RealGM
Posts: 11,021
And1: 3,662
Joined: Jul 24, 2016
         

Re: Rui Hachimura 2.0 

Post#49 » by NatP4 » Wed Jun 2, 2021 12:39 am

Ruzious wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:
nate33 wrote:The best thing about Rui is that you know he can't be played off the floor defensively. That's the number one prerequisite for any playoff-caliber starter.

This is one of the main reasons why we struggle so much against Philly. We've got a total of three non-centers in the rotation who can hold up defensively: Westbrook, Beal and Hachimura. Everyone else is getting picked on: Bertans, Ish, Neto. Brooks won't dare even try Mathews.

Of course, part of the trouble is Brooks' reluctance to try Hutchison or Gill in important minutes.

And Deni Avdija is injured...

Yeah, Brooks is going to make the case that the team would have been so much better if Deni and Bryant hadn't gottern injured. He'll even take credit for the team doing better without Deni. Odds are that Brooks will be here next season. The best we can hope for is he gets just a 1 year contract. <again puts on kettle corn protective gear>



Just my opinion:

Unless they miraculously knock off Philly (which they definitely won’t now that Bertans is out), Brooks is gone.
prime1time
Veteran
Posts: 2,641
And1: 1,399
Joined: Nov 02, 2016
         

Re: Rui Hachimura 2.0 

Post#50 » by prime1time » Wed Jun 2, 2021 1:00 am

NatP4 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:And Deni Avdija is injured...

Yeah, Brooks is going to make the case that the team would have been so much better if Deni and Bryant hadn't gottern injured. He'll even take credit for the team doing better without Deni. Odds are that Brooks will be here next season. The best we can hope for is he gets just a 1 year contract. <again puts on kettle corn protective gear>



Just my opinion:

Unless they miraculously knock off Philly (which they definitely won’t now that Bertans is out), Brooks is gone.

I don't see Brooks going anywhere. From all reports Beal and Westbrook love him. From what I read Westbrook came here because of him. And at the end of the day, their opinion will be the only one that matters.
NatP4
RealGM
Posts: 11,021
And1: 3,662
Joined: Jul 24, 2016
         

Re: Rui Hachimura 2.0 

Post#51 » by NatP4 » Wed Jun 2, 2021 1:30 am

prime1time wrote:
NatP4 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Yeah, Brooks is going to make the case that the team would have been so much better if Deni and Bryant hadn't gottern injured. He'll even take credit for the team doing better without Deni. Odds are that Brooks will be here next season. The best we can hope for is he gets just a 1 year contract. <again puts on kettle corn protective gear>



Just my opinion:

Unless they miraculously knock off Philly (which they definitely won’t now that Bertans is out), Brooks is gone.

I don't see Brooks going anywhere. From all reports Beal and Westbrook love him. From what I read Westbrook came here because of him. And at the end of the day, their opinion will be the only one that matters.


Beal’s entire family has publicly criticized Brooks every step of the way. There has been absolutely no indication that Beal wants him back. Westbrook might have nice things to say about Brooks infront of the media, but it was time to move on in OKC and he understood that, he will understand again this time. Westbrook came here because Houston traded him for a 1st round pick to us. He wasn’t a free agent.

Their opinions are NOT the only ones that matter. Tommy Sheppard is the one that took the worst roster situation in the NBA and turned it into a playoff team, he will have a say, obviously. Westbrook is going to be 33 years old with a couple years left on his deal, his opinion is one of the least important factors. If the Wiz land Ujiri, he will make the decision.
payitforward
RealGM
Posts: 16,466
And1: 5,294
Joined: May 02, 2012
Location: On the Atlantic

Re: Rui Hachimura 2.0 

Post#52 » by payitforward » Wed Jun 2, 2021 2:46 am

1. This is a business, not Game of Thrones.
2. It is ludicrous to imagine that Wall & Westbrook being paid a lot of money gives them some kind of power over management. The opposite is the case. It gives management extraordinary power over them.
3. These guys make these enormous amounts of money for playing a game that entertains the public. The idea that they care who the coach is is ludicrous.
4. Brooks will be fired, because he is a failure. Or he'll be retained because Ted & Tommy think that he is not a failure.
Remember -- if you don't like the post above: blame Doc not me.
User avatar
doclinkin
RealGM
Posts: 10,740
And1: 2,940
Joined: Jul 26, 2004
Location: .wizuds.

Re: Rui Hachimura 2.0 

Post#53 » by doclinkin » Wed Jun 2, 2021 6:18 am

nate33 wrote: We've got a total of three non-centers in the rotation who can hold up defensively: Westbrook, Beal and Hachimura. Everyone else is getting picked on: Bertans, Ish,...


Ish actually played solid defense against Harris. He gets up inside his dribble and footwork forcing him to shoot over the top instead of attacking the paint. Hit some/missed some, but Ish even blocked one of his shots. Ish is generally too short to make a difference but for whatever reason he does well on Harris.
9 and 20
Sophomore
Posts: 178
And1: 98
Joined: Mar 28, 2021
 

Re: Rui Hachimura 2.0 

Post#54 » by 9 and 20 » Wed Jun 2, 2021 10:45 am

I'll be happily surprised if Brooks is not back. Also, neither here nor there, but players have a lot more control over coaches and management than was the case several years ago. Some players/teams more than others. I'm here for it and I think it's better than when players had a lot less control.

Rui played great and hopefully he keeps it up. He had that one-dribble Dr. J/Giannis drive a few games ago - I hope we see more of that Rui, along with solid D and 3-point shooting.
Can't say I do. Who else gonna shoot?
Shoe
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,276
And1: 907
Joined: Nov 06, 2017
 

Re: Rui Hachimura 2.0 

Post#55 » by Shoe » Thu Jun 3, 2021 5:49 am

RuYi Jianlian with a solid post season debut. 15 ppg on 70ts%.
WallToWall
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,912
And1: 521
Joined: May 20, 2010
         

Re: Rui Hachimura 2.0 

Post#56 » by WallToWall » Thu Jun 3, 2021 1:30 pm

Shoe wrote:RuYi Jianlian with a solid post season debut. 15 ppg on 70ts%.

Playing against above average D, those are fine numbers. I’d want him to shoot more!
Best of all, his “breakout” game showed the potential to be excited about. He needs to play like that more often. Time to shed the “timid and reluctant”.
prime1time
Veteran
Posts: 2,641
And1: 1,399
Joined: Nov 02, 2016
         

Re: Rui Hachimura 2.0 

Post#57 » by prime1time » Wed Jun 9, 2021 8:25 pm

Anyone concerned with Rui playing in the Olympics? So many soft tissue injuries due to the crazy amount of games the schedule had them playing.
User avatar
keynote
General Manager
Posts: 9,066
And1: 2,306
Joined: May 20, 2002
Location: Acceptance
         

Re: Rui Hachimura 2.0 

Post#58 » by keynote » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:39 am

prime1time wrote:Anyone concerned with Rui playing in the Olympics? So many soft tissue injuries due to the crazy amount of games the schedule had them playing.


I certainly have mixed emotions about it. Playing in the Olympics always increases the risk of injury. Of course, playing for Team USA increases your profile, gives you a chance to be inspired by and steal tips from your peers' practice habits, and helps you nurture the relationships you need to build the next super team. In contrast, playing for Japan increases your profile a little bit (simply because Japan is the host country), but the other benefits simply aren't there.

That said: it's moot. When you draft Rui, you draft him knowing that he's going to have international commitments. You have to work with him to create a player development plan that accommodates those commitments. It's certainly possible: plenty of non-US players have blossomed into stars while maintaining their international commitments. This year presents a more compressed schedule than usual, but Rui is young.
If my son makes the NBA, I'd probably act *exactly* like LaVar Ball: *insufferable*. Pray for me.
dckingsfan
RealGM
Posts: 22,902
And1: 9,762
Joined: May 28, 2010

Re: Rui Hachimura 2.0 

Post#59 » by dckingsfan » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:08 am

keynote wrote:
prime1time wrote:Anyone concerned with Rui playing in the Olympics? So many soft tissue injuries due to the crazy amount of games the schedule had them playing.

I certainly have mixed emotions about it. Playing in the Olympics always increases the risk of injury. Of course, playing for Team USA increases your profile, gives you a chance to be inspired by and steal tips from your peers' practice habits, and helps you nurture the relationships you need to build the next super team. In contrast, playing for Japan increases your profile a little bit (simply because Japan is the host country), but the other benefits simply aren't there.

That said: it's moot. When you draft Rui, you draft him knowing that he's going to have international commitments. You have to work with him to create a player development plan that accommodates those commitments. It's certainly possible: plenty of non-US players have blossomed into stars while maintaining their international commitments. This year presents a more compressed schedule than usual, but Rui is young.

Yep, you are right there.

Having said that - I wish he would shut it down for some time and let the knee issues resolve.
DCZards
General Manager
Posts: 8,447
And1: 2,669
Joined: Jul 16, 2005
Location: The Streets of DC

Re: Rui Hachimura 2.0 

Post#60 » by DCZards » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:37 am

It would be a bad look for Rui--probably the world's highest profile Japanese player--to not play for Japan in an Olympics taking place in Japan. Assuming Rui is healthy, he should play.

Most NBA players are going to be playing/competing somewhere during the offseason. (Very few of them will be shutting it down for any extended period of time.)

It might be a good thing that Rui is playing organized ball in a situation that the Zards can closely monitor.

Return to Washington Wizards