ImageImageImageImageImage

Who should Bradley and Russ woo?

Moderators: LyricalRico, montestewart, nate33

User avatar
keynote
General Manager
Posts: 9,067
And1: 2,306
Joined: May 20, 2002
Location: Acceptance
         

Who should Bradley and Russ woo? 

Post#1 » by keynote » Sun May 16, 2021 9:31 pm

Feel free to merge this into the Trade thread. But this topic feels a bit different.

These days, the best way to add talent outside of hitting the lotto is to convince a disgruntled star under contract to essentially work in cahoots with you, and engineer a lopsided trade to your team.

Let's say Beal is satisfied with the team's direction, and is willing to work with Russ to slide into the DMs of disaffected stars in awkward situations in the hopes of convincing them to pout their way to DC. What would that list of potentially eligible stars look like?

I assume that stars on contender teams are content and unlikely to leave, and stars on rookie deals can't pout their way off, seeing as their franchise still has their RFA rights. We could always pay FMV for a solid talent like Denver did for Gordon, but it's clearly better to find a star who's willing to pressure things on their end as well.

So, who would you have Beal and Russ call first?

Ingram? Sabonis? KAT? Siakam? Anyone?
If my son makes the NBA, I'd probably act *exactly* like LaVar Ball: *insufferable*. Pray for me.
User avatar
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 59,892
And1: 12,577
Joined: Oct 28, 2002

Re: Who should Bradley and Russ woo? 

Post#2 » by nate33 » Sun May 16, 2021 10:00 pm

I think KAT would probably be the best fit. He could play PF alongside Gafford and slide over to center in crunch time. We just don't have the pieces. It would have to be something like Bertans, Bryant and Hachimura plus a zillion future picks.

If the Clippers flame out, I wonder how available Paul George would be?

I'm not too interested in guys like Ingram and Sabonis. If we're going to pay another max contract, it must be for a guy who is a good defender.
User avatar
Dat2U
RealGM
Posts: 22,217
And1: 5,615
Joined: Jun 23, 2001
Location: Columbus, OH
       

Re: Who should Bradley and Russ woo? 

Post#3 » by Dat2U » Sun May 16, 2021 10:09 pm

Deni, TB & our 1st for Christian Wood.
BallinBug
Senior
Posts: 703
And1: 475
Joined: Nov 19, 2018

Re: Who should Bradley and Russ woo? 

Post#4 » by BallinBug » Sun May 16, 2021 10:26 pm

Dat2U wrote:Deni, TB & our 1st for Christian Wood.


I think Deni is going to be good. His feet move well, he has a nice shooting motion.
User avatar
gambitx777
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,925
And1: 735
Joined: Dec 18, 2012

Re: Who should Bradley and Russ woo? 

Post#5 » by gambitx777 » Sun May 16, 2021 11:14 pm

Why trade deni when he has the size and the skill to maybe be Christian wood down the line. And you already have him locked up. Wood can't stay healthy and there is something off about him I'm passing.
Dat2U wrote:Deni, TB & our 1st for Christian Wood.


Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
keynote
General Manager
Posts: 9,067
And1: 2,306
Joined: May 20, 2002
Location: Acceptance
         

Re: Who should Bradley and Russ woo? 

Post#6 » by keynote » Sun May 16, 2021 11:28 pm

nate33 wrote:I think KAT would probably be the best fit. He could play PF alongside Gafford and slide over to center in crunch time. We just don't have the pieces. It would have to be something like Bertans and Hachimura plus a zillion future picks.

If the Clippers flame out, I wonder how available Paul George would be?

I'm not too interested in guys like Ingram and Sabonis. If we're going to pay another max contract, it must be for a guy who is a good defender.
I like KAT as a basketball fit. But to pull this off, there has to be a relationship, too. It's my understanding that KAT is close to D'Angelo Russell, who he helped court to come to MIN. Of course, relationships can be fickle, as evidenced by the breakdown of the Russ+Harden partnership.

The problem is that Beal and Russ' natural peers/draft classmates have paired off for the most part.

I'd love to get Beal's "little brother" Tatum to force his way out of Boston. I think we're at least a year or two away from that happening. If Ainge gets fired this offseason, we have a chance.
If my son makes the NBA, I'd probably act *exactly* like LaVar Ball: *insufferable*. Pray for me.
User avatar
keynote
General Manager
Posts: 9,067
And1: 2,306
Joined: May 20, 2002
Location: Acceptance
         

Re: Who should Bradley and Russ woo? 

Post#7 » by keynote » Sun May 16, 2021 11:31 pm

Dat2U wrote:Deni, TB & our 1st for Christian Wood.
Hmm. That could work. Wood signed in HOU, and was presumably fine with -- or even excited about -- playing with Westbrook. Houston's new regime has no interest in competing in the short term, and may be open to collecting future assets.

Any word whether Beal or Russ are social with Wood?

(note: I'll leave the merits of the actual trade package to the trade thread)
If my son makes the NBA, I'd probably act *exactly* like LaVar Ball: *insufferable*. Pray for me.
dckingsfan
RealGM
Posts: 22,907
And1: 9,763
Joined: May 28, 2010

Re: Who should Bradley and Russ woo? 

Post#8 » by dckingsfan » Mon May 17, 2021 12:16 am

keynote wrote:Feel free to merge this into the Trade thread. But this topic feels a bit different.

I like this thread - it should be sticky for a while. They have proven they are a formidable tandem - if they can get somewhere during the playoffs I think they might have some success getting a vet to come here.
WallToWall
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,913
And1: 522
Joined: May 20, 2010
         

Re: Who should Bradley and Russ woo? 

Post#9 » by WallToWall » Mon May 17, 2021 12:18 am

I'd like to see Kawhi Leonard who is in his final year at LAC, I believe. I dont know if we can use out bi-annual on him, or how best to acquire him.
Between Bryant, Gafford, Lopez and Len, we should be good at C. Of course, that means we re-sign Lopez and Len.
With Hachimura, Avdija, Gil, Bertans, and a newly signed Leonard, we should be set at SF and PF.
Neto deserves to be re-signed and back up Westbrook as the PG.
Re-sign Mathews as a backup to Beal for the SG spot.
We may have to trade/drop Winston, Hutchison, and Bonga, and get upgrades. I dont know if I want Ish Smith back either.
dckingsfan
RealGM
Posts: 22,907
And1: 9,763
Joined: May 28, 2010

Re: Who should Bradley and Russ woo? 

Post#10 » by dckingsfan » Mon May 17, 2021 12:20 am

Dat2U wrote:Deni, TB & our 1st for Christian Wood.

That is less of a woo and more of a flatout trade :D - then again, I guess if they could get him to request a trade.

Isn't the question, which FAs could Brad and Russ woo? Or who they could get to want to move to the Wiz. I guess both are interesting...
dckingsfan
RealGM
Posts: 22,907
And1: 9,763
Joined: May 28, 2010

Re: Who should Bradley and Russ woo? 

Post#11 » by dckingsfan » Mon May 17, 2021 12:26 am

Could they get Kelly Olynyk to come here on the MLE?
User avatar
keynote
General Manager
Posts: 9,067
And1: 2,306
Joined: May 20, 2002
Location: Acceptance
         

Re: Who should Bradley and Russ woo? 

Post#12 » by keynote » Mon May 17, 2021 12:31 am

dckingsfan wrote:
Dat2U wrote:Deni, TB & our 1st for Christian Wood.

That is less of a woo and more of a flatout trade :D

Isn't the question, which FAs could Brad and Russ woo?
Or, rather, which stars *under contract* could our backcourt woo?

I don't care as much about FAs; we won't have max cap room during the Beal/Russ window. I want a guy to Harden/PG his way off his current team into our open arms.

I want Tatum to put on a fat suit. I want KAT to post passive aggressive subtweets until Minnesota gives up and trades him. I want Ingram to offer monosyllabic press conferences, while his cousin/barber/momager unfollows the Pels on IG and follows the Wiz and Ted.

But to get there, Beal and Russ need to start whispering sweet nothings in these guys' ears.
Etc.
If my son makes the NBA, I'd probably act *exactly* like LaVar Ball: *insufferable*. Pray for me.
dckingsfan
RealGM
Posts: 22,907
And1: 9,763
Joined: May 28, 2010

Re: Who should Bradley and Russ woo? 

Post#13 » by dckingsfan » Mon May 17, 2021 12:33 am

keynote wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:
Dat2U wrote:Deni, TB & our 1st for Christian Wood.

That is less of a woo and more of a flatout trade :D

Isn't the question, which FAs could Brad and Russ woo?
Or, rather, which stars *under contract* could our backcourt woo?

I don't care as much about FAs; we won't have max cap room during the Beal/Russ window. I want a guy to Harden/PG his way off his current team into our open arms.

I want Tatum to put on a fat suit. I want KAT to post passive aggressive subtests until Minnesota gives up and trades him. I want Ingram to offer monosyllabic press conferences, while his cousin/barber/momager unfollows the Pels on IG and follows the Wiz and Ted.

But to get there, Beal and Russ' need to start whispering sweet nothings in these guys' ears.
Etc.

Gotcha - I was just editing my post on that... but now I get your gist.
smoothSeph
Junior
Posts: 482
And1: 272
Joined: May 15, 2019
   

Re: Who should Bradley and Russ woo? 

Post#14 » by smoothSeph » Mon May 17, 2021 12:37 am

Christian Wood is not worth that much lol
User avatar
gambitx777
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,925
And1: 735
Joined: Dec 18, 2012

Re: Who should Bradley and Russ woo? 

Post#15 » by gambitx777 » Mon May 17, 2021 12:56 am

So right now rui has 3ed guy potential but he's still growing deni if a rookie but still lots of potential. Right now Bertans and Thomas are our 3ed best players I'm gonna say it's a tie. They arnt good defenders. We need someone above those two. We have mid level money or trade. I don't see us as players for anyone better than those guys in the trade market only because we don't have any expendable contracts.

Otto porter could be that guy. But, he hasn't played more than 40 games since 2017. Also I don't know if he would wanna come back here. Now if he wants a prove it 2 year bi anuel type deal I'd go after him for sure cuz I can't see him getting more than mid level or min anywhere else.

We've talked about oladipo and I see someone wasting money on him cuz of what he use to be. Al la Chandler Parsons.

I don't see a way to derozen other than a sign and trade and we don't have the money to make it work with out getting the team.

Hardaway isn't a fit for us

The. You get into the olynyk, oubre, Zeller level guys.

I don't see many ways for use to get that third guy other than hoping Rui is it. I think we need to focus on adding depth good depth.
smoothSeph wrote:Christian Wood is not worth that much lol


Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
long suffrin' boulez fan
Head Coach
Posts: 6,348
And1: 2,418
Joined: Nov 18, 2005
Location: Just above Ted's double bottom line
       

Re: Who should Bradley and Russ woo? 

Post#16 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Mon May 17, 2021 1:13 am

keynote wrote:
nate33 wrote:I think KAT would probably be the best fit. He could play PF alongside Gafford and slide over to center in crunch time. We just don't have the pieces. It would have to be something like Bertans and Hachimura plus a zillion future picks.

If the Clippers flame out, I wonder how available Paul George would be?

I'm not too interested in guys like Ingram and Sabonis. If we're going to pay another max contract, it must be for a guy who is a good defender.
I like KAT as a basketball fit. But to pull this off, there has to be a relationship, too. It's my understanding that KAT is close to D'Angelo Russell, who he helped court to come to MIN. Of course, relationships can be fickle, as evidenced by the breakdown of the Russ+Harden partnership.

The problem is that Beal and Russ' natural peers/draft classmates have paired off for the most part.

I'd love to get Beal's "little brother" Tatum to force his way out of Boston. I think we're at least a year or two away from that happening. If Ainge gets fired this offseason, we have a chance.


Good call on Tatum. Positional fit, solid defender. Excellent scorer who isn’t ball dominant. And besties with Beal.

But, how could we pull it off?
In Rizzo we trust
9 and 20
Sophomore
Posts: 178
And1: 98
Joined: Mar 28, 2021
 

Re: Who should Bradley and Russ woo? 

Post#17 » by 9 and 20 » Mon May 17, 2021 3:03 am

Russ and Beal already got Caleb MF'in Homesley to come here.

I don't think the C's are trading Tatum, under pretty much any circumstance.

What would Toronto want for Siakam? They are rebuilding, so some collection of Rui/Deni/picks might work. I think the first round pick owed to HOuston complicates any trade of first rounders, though.
Can't say I do. Who else gonna shoot?
JAR69
Senior
Posts: 580
And1: 148
Joined: Jul 25, 2002
   

Re: Who should Bradley and Russ woo? 

Post#18 » by JAR69 » Mon May 17, 2021 3:04 am

Any chance Bryant could woo OG Anunoby? They went to Indiana together, and I noticed this photo of them together in Aug. 2018:
Read on Twitter
. Are they friends?

It seems very unlikely, but might Toronto take a package of Deni + this year's pick + filler? Presumably they could get more than that for OG. I don't see them wanting Bertans. That just leaves Gafford and Rui as trade pieces. I don't think I would include Gafford in a deal, but I'd maybe consider it. Rui+Deni+Hutchison (filler) but no pick seems like a lot, but I'd probably do it. Though I don't think Toronto would. Still, that would be:

Westbrook/Neto/Winston
Beal/Matthews
Anunoby/???/Homesley
Bertans/Gill
Gafford/Bryant/Len

Plus 2021 FRP
"It takes talent, strategy and millions of dollars to compete in the N.B.A. But regret is the league’s greatest currency." - Howard Beck
User avatar
keynote
General Manager
Posts: 9,067
And1: 2,306
Joined: May 20, 2002
Location: Acceptance
         

Re: Who should Bradley and Russ woo? 

Post#19 » by keynote » Mon May 17, 2021 4:54 am

JAR69 wrote:Any chance Bryant could woo OG Anunoby? They went to Indiana together, and I noticed this photo of them together in Aug. 2018:
Read on Twitter
. Are they friends?

It seems very unlikely, but might Toronto take a package of Deni + this year's pick + filler? Presumably they could get more than that for OG. I don't see them wanting Bertans. That just leaves Gafford and Rui as trade pieces. I don't think I would include Gafford in a deal, but I'd maybe consider it. Rui+Deni+Hutchison (filler) but no pick seems like a lot, but I'd probably do it. Though I don't think Toronto would. Still, that would be:

Westbrook/Neto/Winston
Beal/Matthews
Anunoby/???/Homesley
Bertans/Gill
Gafford/Bryant/Len

Plus 2021 FRP


Intriguing.

Basketball-wise, I think OG would bring some toughness, with the ability to defend multiple positions. I'd love to find a way to keep him and Rui -- although we'd need both of them to improve their J.

Leverage-wise, though, this one might be tough. OG just signed a 4-year extension last December. I'm not sure it's possible for him to make himself enough of a nuisance to get Toronto to trade him for pennies on the dollar.

Siakam, OTOH, while better, is making a lot more $. And, he becomes a UFA a year earlier. I don't know of any existing connection between Pascal and any of our guys, but it might be easier for him to take a proverbial dump on Ujiri's desk and bogart his way out of town.
If my son makes the NBA, I'd probably act *exactly* like LaVar Ball: *insufferable*. Pray for me.
User avatar
queridiculo
RealGM
Posts: 15,655
And1: 6,955
Joined: Mar 29, 2005
Location: Maximum Pain Zone
   

Re: Who should Bradley and Russ woo? 

Post#20 » by queridiculo » Mon May 17, 2021 6:30 am

gambitx777 wrote:Why trade deni when he has the size and the skill to maybe be Christian wood down the line. And you already have him locked up. Wood can't stay healthy and there is something off about him I'm passing.
Dat2U wrote:Deni, TB & our 1st for Christian Wood.


Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app


.. because you need to move assets if you want to land a big fish, but that said, I wouldn't break the bank for Woods either.

There's also the matter of the conditional pick(s) Washington owes to Houston.

Unless Washington removes the protection it's going to be hard to send future draft picks to make up value.

Return to Washington Wizards