Who should Bradley and Russ woo?

Moderators: LyricalRico, montestewart, nate33

gambitx777
Lead Assistant
And1: 735

Re: Who should Bradley and Russ woo? 

Post#81 » by gambitx777 » Fri May 21, 2021 7:06 pm

I'll challenge that
Kawi is a top ten player in the league maybe top 5. Toronto was a parental contender with damar. Now I'm not saying we give him a max deal and I'm not saying someone won't over pay him. But if he comes here full mid to play with Russ and beal. If beal works on his 3 and and tlrui continues to brogress at the 3 like he has been, we put a couple more shooters around them with Mathews and Bertans that makes this team better imo. With a better HC we could definitely approve our position here in the east.
Ruzious wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:Well we have some catch and shoot guys now. And if we have three all-star level guys on the team you can get dudes to show up for a min contract who can shoot.
Ruzious wrote:Ideally, we'd want a catch and shoot 3 point shooter at the 3 to spread the floor and let Westbrook and Beal hog the ball, and that's anything but what DeRosan is. What's the old saying - you only play with 1 basketball.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app

DeRosan would NOT make the team any better. The team is NOT a good 3 point shooting team, and his lack of a 3 would make them worse at it and create a spacing problem.

Put it this way - Remember when Toronto traded DeRosan for Leonard? That made Toronto a dramatically better team. San Antonio isn't even a playoff team with him.

Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 1,671

Post#82 » by Kanyewest » Fri May 21, 2021 7:16 pm

Ruzious wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:Well we have some catch and shoot guys now. And if we have three all-star level guys on the team you can get dudes to show up for a min contract who can shoot.
Ruzious wrote:Ideally, we'd want a catch and shoot 3 point shooter at the 3 to spread the floor and let Westbrook and Beal hog the ball, and that's anything but what DeRosan is. What's the old saying - you only play with 1 basketball.

DeRosan would NOT make the team any better. The team is NOT a good 3 point shooting team, and his lack of a 3 would make them worse at it and create a spacing problem.

Put it this way - Remember when Toronto traded DeRosan for Leonard? That made Toronto a dramatically better team. San Antonio isn't even a playoff team with him.

Fun fact- DeRozan was a 38.5% 3 point shooter against the Wizards in the playoffs in 2018. The following series DeRozan shot 0% from 3 against the Cavaliers in a 4 game sweep.

BTW, the Raptors also threw in Danny Green. Not sure what the Spurs were thinking with that trade even at the time.
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 9,223

Post#83 » by Ruzious » Fri May 21, 2021 7:31 pm

gambitx777 wrote:I'll challenge that
Kawi is a top ten player in the league maybe top 5. Toronto was a parental contender with damar. Now I'm not saying we give him a max deal and I'm not saying someone won't over pay him. But if he comes here full mid to play with Russ and beal. If beal works on his 3 and and tlrui continues to brogress at the 3 like he has been, we put a couple more shooters around them with Mathews and Bertans that makes this team better imo. With a better HC we could definitely approve our position here in the east.
Ruzious wrote:

I used to be a parental contender, too. 8-)

Let's just agree that I'm right and you're wrong. DeRozan's a good/not great player and would be a terrible fit for Washington - not to mention a 32 year old who the Wiz couldn't afford.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,306

Post#84 » by keynote » Sat May 22, 2021 8:49 pm

Fox isn't a fit alongside Beal and Westbrook, but it's interesting to see some folks predict that he might try to bogart his way out of Sacramento.
https://www.thebiglead.com/posts/de-aaron-fox-trade-market-01f3n9h3tk76
If my son makes the NBA, I'd probably act *exactly* like LaVar Ball: *insufferable*. Pray for me.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,306

Post#85 » by keynote » Wed Jun 2, 2021 5:00 pm

...and, let's quietly add Tatum to the list. ;-)
If my son makes the NBA, I'd probably act *exactly* like LaVar Ball: *insufferable*. Pray for me.
gambitx777
Lead Assistant
And1: 735

Post#86 » by gambitx777 » Wed Jun 2, 2021 6:11 pm

I do agree with you. I was just providing the view that of he could come at the mid level money, which he won't. But if, he could. Then I think you sign that contract. Imo
Ruzious wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:I'll challenge that
Ruzious wrote:DeRosan would NOT make the team any better. The team is NOT a good 3 point shooting team, and his lack of a 3 would make them worse at it and create a spacing problem.

I used to be a parental contender, too. 8-)

Let's just agree that I'm right and you're wrong. DeRozan's a good/not great player and would be a terrible fit for Washington - not to mention a 32 year old who the Wiz couldn't afford.

Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#87 » by Ruzious » Wed Jun 2, 2021 6:31 pm

keynote wrote:...and, let's quietly add Tatum to the list. ;-)

Tatum could be the long lost triplet of Beal and Westbrook, and they still couldn't get him to come here. He won't be a free agent till after the 25/26 season.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
WallToWall
Sixth Man
And1: 521

Post#88 » by WallToWall » Wed Jun 2, 2021 7:25 pm

keynote wrote:...and, let's quietly add Tatum to the list. ;-)

As much as I would like this, it has no chance IMO.
dlts20
RealGM
And1: 4,922

Post#89 » by dlts20 » Wed Jun 2, 2021 9:43 pm

Ruzious wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:If he's willing to take a pay cut that wouldn't be a bad team. But like we have mid level money available that's it. And we don't have much for a sign and trade unless S/A is willing to take Bertans back, and they won't be.

He's a solid defender and next to Rui that would be a dame.good starting 5
West, beal, damar, rui and Gafford.
smoothSeph wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Ideally, we'd want a catch and shoot 3 point shooter at the 3 to spread the floor and let Westbrook and Beal hog the ball, and that's anything but what DeRosan is. What's the old saying - you only play with 1 basketball.

Beal himself is the catch and shoot 3pt guy. I expect his 3pt percentage to go way up with a dude like Derozan on the floor, finally a great tall wing who is truly offensively inclined
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#90 » by Ruzious » Wed Jun 2, 2021 10:02 pm

dlts20 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:If he's willing to take a pay cut that wouldn't be a bad team. But like we have mid level money available that's it. And we don't have much for a sign and trade unless S/A is willing to take Bertans back, and they won't be.

He's a solid defender and next to Rui that would be a dame.good starting 5
West, beal, damar, rui and Gafford.

Ideally, we'd want a catch and shoot 3 point shooter at the 3 to spread the floor and let Westbrook and Beal hog the ball, and that's anything but what DeRosan is. What's the old saying - you only play with 1 basketball.

Beal himself is the catch and shoot 3pt guy. I expect his 3pt percentage to go way up with a dude like Derozan on the floor, finally a great tall wing who is truly offensively inclined

Beal's got the #1 assist guy in the NBA, and he's not a catch and shoot guy now, so why would that change? They are 3 guys most comfortable with the ball in their hands creating - I don't see that working at all. With 2, you can work it out and alternate things, but with 3 - No. And besides them, Avdija should get the ball more in a creating role.
dlts20
RealGM

Post#91 » by dlts20 » Wed Jun 2, 2021 10:08 pm

Ruzious wrote:
dlts20 wrote:

Beal's got the #1 assist guy in the NBA, and he's not a catch and shoot guy now, so why would that change? They are 3 guys most comfortable with the ball in their hands creating - I don't see that working at all. With 2, you can work it out and alternate things, but with 3 - No. And besides them, Avdija should get the ball more in a creating role.

Beal isn't a catch and shoot guy now because we don't have another consistent big scorer or anyone that can command a double except Beal. Other than that, Westbrook had a great stretch but was a terrible scorer the 1st half of the year and again now. Beal will get a lot more open shots and good looks with Derozan. He's definitely not perfect but not exactly anyone else better we could get. I wanted Jimmy Butler
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#92 » by Ruzious » Wed Jun 2, 2021 10:14 pm

dlts20 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
dlts20 wrote:Beal himself is the catch and shoot 3pt guy. I expect his 3pt percentage to go way up with a dude like Derozan on the floor, finally a great tall wing who is truly offensively inclined

Beal isn't a catch and shoot guy now because we don't have another consistent big scorer or anyone that can command a double except Beal. Other than that, Westbrook had a great stretch but was a terrible scorer the 1st half of the year and again now. Beal will get a lot more open shots and good looks with Derozan. He's definitely not perfect but not exactly anyone else better we could get. I wanted Jimmy Butler

Jimmy Butler might be the only good player who could possibly be a worse fit than DeRozan to team with Beal & DeRozan. He made things so easy for Milwaukee by refusing to shoot from outside of 10 feet - along with Bam. I don't think we're going to agree. :)
dlts20
RealGM

Post#93 » by dlts20 » Wed Jun 2, 2021 10:22 pm

Ruzious wrote:
dlts20 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Beal's got the #1 assist guy in the NBA, and he's not a catch and shoot guy now, so why would that change? They are 3 guys most comfortable with the ball in their hands creating - I don't see that working at all. With 2, you can work it out and alternate things, but with 3 - No. And besides them, Avdija should get the ball more in a creating role.

Jimmy Butler might be the only good player who could possibly be a worse fit than DeRozan to team with Beal & DeRozan. He made things so easy for Milwaukee by refusing to shoot from outside of 10 feet - along with Bam. I don't think we're going to agree. :)

Honestly I didn't watch 10min of that series but I just miss a wing who can defend. Definitely rather have a shooter but we need a better player than just a typical 3 & D guy
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#94 » by Ruzious » Wed Jun 2, 2021 10:27 pm

dlts20 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
dlts20 wrote:Beal isn't a catch and shoot guy now because we don't have another consistent big scorer or anyone that can command a double except Beal. Other than that, Westbrook had a great stretch but was a terrible scorer the 1st half of the year and again now. Beal will get a lot more open shots and good looks with Derozan. He's definitely not perfect but not exactly anyone else better we could get. I wanted Jimmy Butler

Honestly I didn't watch 10min of that series but I just miss a wing who can defend. Definitely rather have a shooter but we need a better player than just a typical 3 & D guy

I hear ya. There seems to be a shortage of quality 3's that can hit 3's and defend. Not sure if there's even 1 in the draft or 1 other than Kawhi in free agency.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 2,669

Post#95 » by DCZards » Wed Jun 2, 2021 10:56 pm

I could see a Beal, Russ, Derozan combo working...with the right coach.

In Beal and Derozan you’d have two of the best midrange scorers in the NBA. That would be tough to defend. And Demar is coming off his best year ever in assists with almost 7 per game.

Demar is a terrible 3pt shooter but he stays in his lane and doesn’t take many.

Of course, you’d still want to add more 3pt shooting to the roster (Jared Butler) and perimeter D (Herb Jones of Alabama).
CntOutSmrtCrazy
Starter
And1: 667

Post#96 » by CntOutSmrtCrazy » Thu Jun 3, 2021 3:34 am

DCZards wrote:I could see a Beal, Russ, Derozan combo working...with the right coach.

In Beal and Derozan you’d have two of the best midrange scorers in the NBA. That would be tough to defend. And Demar is coming off his best year ever in assists with almost 7 per game.

Of course, you’d still want to add more 3pt shooting to the roster (Jared Butler) and perimeter D (Herb Jones of Alabama).

Put the plastic bag over my head now...
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 1,988

Post#97 » by dobrojim » Thu Jun 3, 2021 7:39 pm

As long as we are talking about pipe dreams, John Collins.
Or DeAndre Hunter.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 3,662

Post#98 » by NatP4 » Thu Jun 3, 2021 7:54 pm

DCZards wrote:I could see a Beal, Russ, Derozan combo working...with the right coach.

:lol:
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 3,662

Post#99 » by NatP4 » Thu Jun 3, 2021 7:54 pm

dobrojim wrote:As long as we are talking about pipe dreams, John Collins.
Or DeAndre Hunter.

Deandre Hunter would be a perfect fit.
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#100 » by Ruzious » Thu Jun 3, 2021 8:49 pm

NatP4 wrote:
dobrojim wrote:As long as we are talking about pipe dreams, John Collins.
Or DeAndre Hunter.

Deandre Hunter would be a perfect fit.

I was just going to say - I wish there was a Deandre Hunter in this draft. I think he's pretty much untouchable at this point. And with Collins being a free agent, we can't afford him unless we do a sign and trade with Beal - which seems unlikely.

Maybe the best thing to do is sign Otto Porter to the MLE and hope he stays healthy. Maybe he and Brad are friends - I don't know. Can we set up a Zoom with Otto, Brad, and Russ? Btw, today's a good day for it - it's Otto's 28th birthday.

Let's not go through another year where we're intentionally defending forwards with 6 foot nothing guards, please.

Return to Washington Wizards