ImageImageImageImageImage

Political Roundtable Part XXX

Moderators: nate33, LyricalRico, montestewart

User avatar
TGW
RealGM
Posts: 10,975
And1: 4,401
Joined: Oct 22, 2010

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXX 

Post#561 » by TGW » Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:55 pm

Looks like the democrats are going to lose Virginia. Not that they care…mccauliffe and young kin are basically the same…garbage ass candidates that no one wants but has to settle for.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
CntOutSmrtCrazy
Analyst
Posts: 3,226
And1: 1,198
Joined: Dec 08, 2011
Location: Formerly known as GilArenas88

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXX 

Post#562 » by CntOutSmrtCrazy » Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:57 pm

Pointgod wrote:
Dat2U wrote:Bold 2022 prediction: Repubs take back House & Senate as inflation explodes, stock crashes & the fading economy becomes the #1 issue.


If the Democrats lose the House and Senate it will be because of partisan Gerrymandering and successful voter suppression on the part of Republicans. Nothing more, nothing less


The House yes, Senate is just tough for Dems because Republicans have so many relatively easy seats to win with the likes of WY, UT, SD, ND, NE, KS, OK, TN, AL (Jones was a fluke against probably the worst candidate that could have run), ID, AK, AL, SC, LA, which doesn't even touch on WV, FL, TX, IA, NC, MT, MO, AR, OH where they have all but three senate seat. That's already 45 seats and they'll be competitive in PA, AZ, NH, NV, and GA with potential for CO and MD play depending on the political environment in a Senate year that should be really favorable for Dems all else held even.

Gerrymandering is certainly insidious, but it is very common for the President's party to get rolled in mid-term house elections in modern elections; I think there has only been two cases in recent memory this didn't happen off the top of my head). The Senate on the other hand was just a poorly thought out relic of a different time that in today's political environment isn't likely to be changed via amendment anytime soon. Best hope for Dems going into the future is that they spread out to areas they typically haven't been fond of. Maybe the evolution to more remote workers and exploding metro housing costs will lead to just that.
Pointgod
RealGM
Posts: 14,936
And1: 14,921
Joined: Jun 28, 2014

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXX 

Post#563 » by Pointgod » Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:49 pm

Yea sounds like the words of a party that’s highly confident that they’re going to win

Pointgod
RealGM
Posts: 14,936
And1: 14,921
Joined: Jun 28, 2014

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXX 

Post#564 » by Pointgod » Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:12 pm

CntOutSmrtCrazy wrote:
Pointgod wrote:
Dat2U wrote:Bold 2022 prediction: Repubs take back House & Senate as inflation explodes, stock crashes & the fading economy becomes the #1 issue.


If the Democrats lose the House and Senate it will be because of partisan Gerrymandering and successful voter suppression on the part of Republicans. Nothing more, nothing less


The House yes, Senate is just tough for Dems because Republicans have so many relatively easy seats to win with the likes of WY, UT, SD, ND, NE, KS, OK, TN, AL (Jones was a fluke against probably the worst candidate that could have run), ID, AK, AL, SC, LA, which doesn't even touch on WV, FL, TX, IA, NC, MT, MO, AR, OH where they have all but three senate seat. That's already 45 seats and they'll be competitive in PA, AZ, NH, NV, and GA with potential for CO and MD play depending on the political environment in a Senate year that should be really favorable for Dems all else held even.

Gerrymandering is certainly insidious, but it is very common for the President's party to get rolled in mid-term house elections in modern elections; I think there has only been two cases in recent memory this didn't happen off the top of my head). The Senate on the other hand was just a poorly thought out relic of a different time that in today's political environment isn't likely to be changed via amendment anytime soon. Best hope for Dems going into the future is that they spread out to areas they typically haven't been fond of. Maybe the evolution to more remote workers and exploding metro housing costs will lead to just that.


The gerrymandering addresses the House and the voter suppression addresses the Senate. Speaking of the Senate the Democrats actually have a better field in 2022. They have less seats up than Republicans. The biggest challenges the Democrats have to retain their seats are Arizona and Georgia. Meanwhile Republicans have to protect seats in Wisconsin and Pennsylvania which Biden won. North Carolina and Kentucky which have Democratic Governors and an open seat in Ohio and Missouri which are much less likely. And an outside shot in Florida. If Democrats can pick up 1 or 2 seats and hold the rest hopefully they can tell Mitch McConnell, Joe Manchin and Sinema to **** off somewhere
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 6,908
And1: 2,912
Joined: Mar 24, 2010
       

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXX 

Post#565 » by Zonkerbl » Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:58 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=G2USS1BZn-Qr9n1zPmuCdg&s=19
CRAZY. STUPID. LOUD.
User avatar
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
Posts: 50,178
And1: 7,749
Joined: Aug 05, 2001
       

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXX 

Post#566 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:58 pm

If you haven't already discussed don't neglect to mention the Willie Lynch Letter:

https://court.rchp.com/history/the-willie-lynch-letter-the-making-of-a-slave/

The Black slaves after receiving this indoctrination shall carry on and will become self refueling and self generating for hundreds of years, maybe thousands.

Don't forget you must pitch the old black Male vs. the young black Male, and the young black Male against the old black male. You must use the dark skin slaves vs. the light skin slaves, and the light skin slaves vs. the dark skin slaves. You must use the female vs. the male. And the male vs. the female. You must also have you white servants and overseers distrust all Blacks.

It is necessary that your slaves trust and depend on us. They must love, respect and trust only us. Gentlemen, these kits are your keys to control. 


Regardless of the veracity of authenticity of the letter one thing I do see that slavery in America did was pit black people against one another to keep them enslaved.

BearlyBallin wrote:
“Love without limits, dream without fear and live in the moment.“
After the Wizards GM really went and did it by having an imaginative, strong, draft day. I totally feel this as well;

AFM wrote:Don't sleep on these white bois. That's all I'm saying.
Pointgod
RealGM
Posts: 14,936
And1: 14,921
Joined: Jun 28, 2014

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXX 

Post#567 » by Pointgod » Mon Nov 1, 2021 12:22 am

Share this with your friends in Virginia. Actually just share this with your friends in every state. This a pretty straight forward reason why Democrats are better than Republicans at all levels of government. It’s amazing that more people simply don’t realize this.

Read on Twitter


Read on Twitter


Read on Twitter
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 6,908
And1: 2,912
Joined: Mar 24, 2010
       

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXX 

Post#568 » by Zonkerbl » Mon Nov 1, 2021 10:13 am

There's an easy solution to the Senate problem - abolish the filibuster and make DC a state, and give PR the option to become a state if they want to.
CRAZY. STUPID. LOUD.
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 46,963
And1: 10,915
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXX 

Post#569 » by Ruzious » Mon Nov 1, 2021 1:17 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Honestly, that's complete bs in an attempt to not admit that BLM and others totally blew it by using that phrase. AND... it's the people who use that phrase that should educate others on what it means. And I haven't heard that being done.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 14,082
And1: 7,150
Joined: Feb 25, 2009

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXX 

Post#570 » by montestewart » Mon Nov 1, 2021 1:40 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:
Read on Twitter
?t=G2USS1BZn-Qr9n1zPmuCdg&s=19

We used that book. Many years later, the lingering impression is “all wrong.”
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 6,908
And1: 2,912
Joined: Mar 24, 2010
       

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXX 

Post#571 » by Zonkerbl » Mon Nov 1, 2021 2:23 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Zonkerbl wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Honestly, that's complete bs in an attempt to not admit that BLM and others totally blew it by using that phrase. AND... it's the people who use that phrase that should educate others on what it means. And I haven't heard that being done.


I think I am not expressing myself clearly here, so thank you for the opportunity to try to elaborate.

The main objection to the phrase "defund the police" is that it is unpopular. It is unpopular because a large number of white Dem voters are racist.

I can explain this in more detail but let's just accept it for argument's sake now. Yes there are some Michael Che type folks who are victims of copaganda misinformation campaigns, but let's focus on the main statistical issue here - white people who dislike the phrase "defund the police" because they actually agree cops' job is to persecute black and brown people.

But for this racism, "defund the police" wouldn't be a problem. In fact, given this racism, there is no way to phrase it that would be popular. The racism is the root cause of the issue.

It is not black people's fault that white people are racist, it is not their responsibility to make anyone less racist, and in fact becoming less racist is something only white people can do.

Furthermore, to point fingers at black people and say "this is all your fault because we are racist" is a slap in the face to the core constituency responsible for making sure Trump was not reelected.
CRAZY. STUPID. LOUD.
Pointgod
RealGM
Posts: 14,936
And1: 14,921
Joined: Jun 28, 2014

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXX 

Post#572 » by Pointgod » Mon Nov 1, 2021 2:36 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:
Read on Twitter
?t=G2USS1BZn-Qr9n1zPmuCdg&s=19


And this is what all the crying and losing their **** about critical race theory boils down to. They don’t want an accurate teaching of history because the one they’re used to is wrong.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 6,908
And1: 2,912
Joined: Mar 24, 2010
       

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXX 

Post#573 » by Zonkerbl » Mon Nov 1, 2021 2:38 pm

It boils down to white people refusing to admit they're racist, because that's admitting they're wrong. For the GOP, Trump has taught them that admitting you're wrong is equivalent to death.
CRAZY. STUPID. LOUD.
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 46,963
And1: 10,915
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXX 

Post#574 » by Ruzious » Mon Nov 1, 2021 2:39 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
Zonkerbl wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Honestly, that's complete bs in an attempt to not admit that BLM and others totally blew it by using that phrase. AND... it's the people who use that phrase that should educate others on what it means. And I haven't heard that being done.


I think I am not expressing myself clearly here, so thank you for the opportunity to try to elaborate.

The main objection to the phrase "defund the police" is that it is unpopular. It is unpopular because a large number of white Dem voters are racist.

I can explain this in more detail but let's just accept it for argument's sake now. Yes there are some Michael Che type folks who are victims of copaganda misinformation campaigns, but let's focus on the main statistical issue here - white people who dislike the phrase "defund the police" because they actually agree cops' job is to persecute black and brown people.

But for this racism, "defund the police" wouldn't be a problem.

It is not black people's fault that white people are racist, it is not their responsibility to make anyone less racist, and in fact becoming less racist is something only white people can do.

Furthermore, to point fingers at black people and say "this is all your fault because we are racist" is a slap in the face to the core constituency responsible for making sure Trump was not reelected.

I don't why you insist on making this a white people issue. It's an issue - period. Calling it a white people issue does nothing but deflect and confuse - which our country's had far too much of.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 6,908
And1: 2,912
Joined: Mar 24, 2010
       

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXX 

Post#575 » by Zonkerbl » Mon Nov 1, 2021 2:41 pm

Ok it's a white supremacy issue, and the definition of "white" is fluid over time as marginalized groups like the Irish, and more lately, some hispanics (like the Cuban community in Florida), opt into it in order to join the winning team.
CRAZY. STUPID. LOUD.
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 46,963
And1: 10,915
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXX 

Post#576 » by Ruzious » Mon Nov 1, 2021 2:49 pm

When people (and not just you) say white people and really mean white supremacists - as if that's the same thing - it inflames things and confuses people like me. I know everyone's racist to various extents, but it doesn't help anything to couch a discussion with that. I think it takes away from the otherwise excellent points being made.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Pointgod
RealGM
Posts: 14,936
And1: 14,921
Joined: Jun 28, 2014

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXX 

Post#577 » by Pointgod » Mon Nov 1, 2021 2:57 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
Zonkerbl wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Honestly, that's complete bs in an attempt to not admit that BLM and others totally blew it by using that phrase. AND... it's the people who use that phrase that should educate others on what it means. And I haven't heard that being done.


I think I am not expressing myself clearly here, so thank you for the opportunity to try to elaborate.

The main objection to the phrase "defund the police" is that it is unpopular. It is unpopular because a large number of white Dem voters are racist.

I can explain this in more detail but let's just accept it for argument's sake now. Yes there are some Michael Che type folks who are victims of copaganda misinformation campaigns, but let's focus on the main statistical issue here - white people who dislike the phrase "defund the police" because they actually agree cops' job is to persecute black and brown people.

But for this racism, "defund the police" wouldn't be a problem. In fact, given this racism, there is no way to phrase it that would be popular. The racism is the root cause of the issue.

It is not black people's fault that white people are racist, it is not their responsibility to make anyone less racist, and in fact becoming less racist is something only white people can do.

Furthermore, to point fingers at black people and say "this is all your fault because we are racist" is a slap in the face to the core constituency responsible for making sure Trump was not reelected.


I showed you actual data that the majority of black people also don’t support defunding the police. It’s just a poor term to use in the political context and you can’t blame it all on white people. The problem is that Twitter isn’t real life so people who believe that defunding the police as a political talking point is popular are severely mistaken. Just don’t say defund the police. You can literally do everything that’s involved with the term, just don’t use the term. Defunding the police is just a horrible political slogan
dobrojim
RealGM
Posts: 14,376
And1: 2,247
Joined: Sep 16, 2004

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXX 

Post#578 » by dobrojim » Mon Nov 1, 2021 3:16 pm

To me, the (White) backlash against efforts to address the results of systemic racism arise from a fear
that if they first admit to horrible things having been done in a past that in many cases
is much more recent than most realize, that it will first create a moral imperative to
address the obvious results of that history. Any reckoning (they believe) inevitably
means less for them.
None of them are willing to entertain a thought experiment as
to how their family fortunes would be different if their grandfather or great grandfather
had been killed or if a family business had been torched in Wilmington NC, Tulsa or in another place.
Therefore, this history must be repressed.

Zero sum thinking. These are the folks who like to consider themselves to be decent folk.

then there are the ones that make possible stories like this one from August.
We definitely can't talk about these.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/08/08/modern-day-mississippi-lynchings/

“The last recorded lynching in the United States was in 1981,” said Jill Collen Jefferson, a lawyer and founder of Julian, a civil rights organization named after the late civil rights leader Julian Bond. “But the thing is, lynchings never stopped in the United States. Lynchings in Mississippi never stopped. The evil bastards just stopped taking photographs and passing them around like baseball cards.”

A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity
Pointgod
RealGM
Posts: 14,936
And1: 14,921
Joined: Jun 28, 2014

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXX 

Post#579 » by Pointgod » Mon Nov 1, 2021 4:08 pm

Read on Twitter
User avatar
pancakes3
General Manager
Posts: 8,443
And1: 1,920
Joined: Jul 27, 2003
Location: Virginia
Contact:

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXX 

Post#580 » by pancakes3 » Mon Nov 1, 2021 4:13 pm

i don't know why white people have such a hard time admitting they're racist.

black people are racist too. asians are tremendously racist. everybody's racist. the problem is that in order for that racism to be operative, the racist needs to be in power and deploy that racism through laws, regulations, and other structured forms. that's why white racism in america is what's being discussed. there are racist policies promulgated by black people in black-majority nations, and the same for asian-majority nations. it is what it is.

it's such chickensh*t to justify your racism because of hypothetical "oh, I wonder where I would be if I hadn't benefitted from the system of white supremacy" debates or quibbling about the phrasing of "Defund the Police" when the real repercussions of a racist society are being perpetrated every single day on actual human beings. like, imagine saying "well of course cops shouldn't shoot black people at a disproportionately higher rate but I can't really get behind the movement because I don't like your slogan"

fwiw, that ability to be chickensh*t with your convictions without your [in]decision having a tangible effect on yourself while it continues to impact millions of other people? that's privilege. not even talking about money - just that you can choose to ignore the issue.
Bullets -> Wizards

Return to Washington Wizards