FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Interesting that Dayen is advocating to do less but in a meaningful way in his opinion piece. I guess his set of tweets here are congruous - I just can't figure out how to connect his dots. On the one hand we have a group that is saying to attack everything at once but that same group is also saying to only do it if you can do it meaningfully.

The Build Back Better Act cannot be enacted as envisioned because of a few corporate Democrats. But Mr. Biden could ensure that what survives actually fills those critical gaps — in family care, in health care, in housing, in cash assistance — not with half-measures but with real relief.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/26/opinion/build-back-better-democrats.html
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,334

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXX 

Post#822 » by dobrojim » Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:30 pm

Got Heather McGhee's book "The Sum of Us" for Xmas. A little more than a chapter into
it and I can readily endorse it. We've been talking here about zero sum thinking for a long
time. The prevalence of that philosophy is a main part of her central thesis. Some of the history
she relates is just gobsmacking. I'm reading the chapter now about how rather than integrate
swimming pools (back in the 50s), they would just drain them so no one could use them. So
freakin stupid and that same thinking still dominates a sizable portion of the country.
Communities used to take pride in having the best and biggest pools in their community.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#823 » by verbal8 » Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:08 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:Played quiplash on xmas with my family, tried a bunch of "Let's go Brandon" jokes and lost.

Even used ironically it's not a particularly funny joke. I suppose Trump followers are proud of it because it's the only even slightly funny joke they've come up with since Reagan was President

For someone who makes fun of people so much, Trump really isn't that funny.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,675

Post#824 » by Pointgod » Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:08 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:Played quiplash on xmas with my family, tried a bunch of "Let's go Brandon" jokes and lost.

Even used ironically it's not a particularly funny joke. I suppose Trump followers are proud of it because it's the only even slightly funny joke they've come up with since Reagan was President

It’s patently stupid and incredibly unfunny. If you want to say **** Joe Biden, then just say it. It’s like a little kids learning a new swear word and trying to hide it from their parents. Just dumb.

This is an example of actual comedy from let’s go Brandon.

https://www.instagram.com/tglnyc/reel/CXgpOlhPgcf/?utm_medium=copy_link
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#825 » by Ruzious » Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:19 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?t=Fwt2p5x4NU91PncDJPJhtw&s=19

Please give politicians an electric shock for for every answer like that.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Pointgod
RealGM

Post#826 » by Pointgod » Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:53 am

Read on Twitter
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#827 » by Wizardspride » Thu Jan 6, 2022 4:21 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=X5xIPeQBEpIlbw9vd8nmUg&s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,008

Post#828 » by dckingsfan » Sat Jan 8, 2022 4:59 pm

Bonscott wrote:For the life of me I don't get the Deni love he's almost as big of a clown as the one residing in the White House
Thank you comrade Bonscottanov - it must be getting quite cold in Leningrad right now...
Pointgod
RealGM

Post#829 » by Pointgod » Sat Jan 8, 2022 9:41 pm

This is why all this bitching about Biden ultimately doesn’t matter. There’s a bigger game being played here

This will happen if the GOP gets back power. They simply can’t be trusted.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,184

Post#830 » by Zonkerbl » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:44 pm

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/president-biden-job-approval-7320.html

I imagine there's not much Biden can do about these ratings until the SCOTUS beheads the Roe v. Wade hostage in June. Will be interesting to see if/how that affects turnout among educated white women.

Also been reading some articles about how California and New York are quietly gerrymandering all the Republicans out of office - well, not if Biden's approval ratings are this low. Article said Dems used to need a 3-4% advantage nationwide to win the House, but now that's down to 1% - GOP is using the gerrymander to protect vulnerable Republicans, while Dems are using it to kick Republicans out of Dem strongholds in California and New York. Was that in this thread or should I go look it up?

https://www.capradio.org/articles/2021/12/21/california-redistricting-what-to-know-about-the-final-maps/

Ok so it's not a political gerrymander in CA. Interesting.
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#831 » by Zonkerbl » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:18 pm

This is the kind of article that will get you arrested for thoughtcrime in Florida

https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/interactive/2022/congress-slaveowners-names-list/
Pointgod
RealGM

Post#832 » by Pointgod » Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:17 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/president-biden-job-approval-7320.html

I imagine there's not much Biden can do about these ratings until the SCOTUS beheads the Roe v. Wade hostage in June. Will be interesting to see if/how that affects turnout among educated white women.

Also been reading some articles about how California and New York are quietly gerrymandering all the Republicans out of office - well, not if Biden's approval ratings are this low. Article said Dems used to need a 3-4% advantage nationwide to win the House, but now that's down to 1% - GOP is using the gerrymander to protect vulnerable Republicans, while Dems are using it to kick Republicans out of Dem strongholds in California and New York. Was that in this thread or should I go look it up?

https://www.capradio.org/articles/2021/12/21/california-redistricting-what-to-know-about-the-final-maps/

Ok so it's not a political gerrymander in CA. Interesting.

California is an example of why Republicans don’t want non partisan gerrymandering. Because they don’t want to compete fairly (not that they can’t - Virginia is a good example they can).

And the generic congressional ballot has slowly been creeping up in favor of the Democrats. Look where it is not compared to last year. Imagine how much better they’d do if they passed popular legislation like Build Back Better and voting rights. This is literally plain to see to everyone except for complete morons like Manchin.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/congress-generic-ballot-polls/
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 378

Post#833 » by Benjammin » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:28 pm

Imagine if Democrats cared about working class people and turned down the woke cultural rhetoric. Even Democrats that look somewhat normal like Eric Adams, mayor of New York City, get into office and lose all sense of what is reasonable and possible. Often Republicans use that unfairly, but there's enough there to use it. A coherent COVID policy would be helpful as well, although anything is better than Trump who actively promoted things that increased the death count significantly.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#834 » by Zonkerbl » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:27 pm

Don't be fooled by all the anti-wokeness propaganda in right wing media. Anti wokeness is thinly disguised racism. But you're not wrong.

The Republican party right now represents wealthy business owners, and the Dems represent wealthy academic grinders - they're the top 10% who became doctors and lawyers and software programmers. They're all about equality of opportunity - not equality of *outcome*. Republicans are another wealthy 10% who are all about being allowed to make money with their business without being held accountable for any damage they do to other people. They're basically satanists - look out for number one uber alles!

But then there's everybody else, the other 80%. Nobody represents them, like you say. Unfortunately since no one is representing them, very few of them follow politics or vote. It's a bit of a catch 22.

A lot of what Marx said 150 years ago is finally coming true. Dude was a little ahead of his time. Marx is all about equality of outcome. We've all been brainwashed to reflexively reject Marxism - that's probably why China is beating us.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#835 » by Ruzious » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:33 pm

The terms woke and cancel culture make my head hurt. At this point, I think they serve no purpose other than to confuse people who have no idea what they were originally intended to mean. We somehow got along for a long time without using those terms.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Pointgod
RealGM

Post#836 » by Pointgod » Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:54 am

Benjammin wrote:Imagine if Democrats cared about working class people and turned down the woke cultural rhetoric. Even Democrats that look somewhat normal like Eric Adams, mayor of New York City, get into office and lose all sense of what is reasonable and possible. Often Republicans use that unfairly, but there's enough there to use it. A coherent COVID policy would be helpful as well, although anything is better than Trump who actively promoted things that increased the death count significantly.

The good news is they’ve proposed a bill that actually addresses that.

Biden’s bill would:

Create free and universal prekindergarten throughout the United States, which would be the largest expansion of American public education in a century.

Establish a de facto basic income for working-class families. Previously, Biden’s American Rescue Plan (ARP) increased the maximum value of the child tax credit (CTC) from $2,000 to $3,000 for each child over 6 and $3,600 for each child below that age. Separately, ARP made the child tax credit fully refundable for the first time, meaning that kids whose parents earned too little to owe federal taxes would still be eligible for CTC payments. In effect, this turned the CTC into a near-universal child allowance. The Build Back Better framework only extends the higher-value CTC for a year (meaning that, in 2023, it goes back to being worth $2,000 per kid). But the bill would make the CTC’s refundability permanent. Which is to say: For the first time since Bill Clinton’s welfare reform, America’s poorest families will be guaranteed cash assistance, no strings attached.

Invest $555 billion into combating climate change. Manchin killed Biden’s Clean Electricity Performance Program, a policy that would have required all electric utilities to draw 80 percent of their power from non-carbon sources by 2030, or else face steep fines. But the West Virginia senator (and minor coal baron) has apparently left the rest of Biden’s climate agenda alone. In fact, as the White House cut its initial bill in half, it barely reduced the size of its climate provisions. The fact that Biden gave decarbonization such priority is a testament to the climate movement’s success. And it could very well prove transformational.

Expand access to affordable health insurance. The bill would reduce insurance premiums for 9 million Americans through a (temporary) expansion of Affordable Care Act subsidies, and extend premium-free health insurance to low-income Americans in states that haven’t expanded Medicaid (through a complex tax-credit scheme).

And there’s more
https://nymag.com/author/eric-levitz

And they’ve passed another bill that also helps the working class.

https://www.americanprogress.org/article/3-major-wins-for-workers-in-the-bipartisan-infrastructure-package/

Democrats are doing the work of helping people and they should be rewarded by voters for doing the right thing.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,890

Post#837 » by TGW » Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:56 am

Benjammin wrote:Imagine if Democrats cared about working class people and turned down the woke cultural rhetoric. Even Democrats that look somewhat normal like Eric Adams, mayor of New York City, get into office and lose all sense of what is reasonable and possible. Often Republicans use that unfairly, but there's enough there to use it. A coherent COVID policy would be helpful as well, although anything is better than Trump who actively promoted things that increased the death count significantly.

Exactly. The Democrats are a feckless, pro-corporate, phony-woke pandering bunch of clowns. That’s why they’ll lose in the next election cycle.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
Pointgod
RealGM

Post#838 » by Pointgod » Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:23 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^
It’s okay hunny. Let it all out
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#839 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:02 am

This country is hopelessly divided and headed for a Civil War of sorts.
Bye bye Beal.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#840 » by Ruzious » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:07 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:This country is hopelessly divided and headed for a Civil War of sorts.

I'm not sure how it's possible to keep on when Republicans like Graham insist that Trump remains the leader of the Republican party. It simply can't work, and Graham knows it, because he said as much just a few years ago about the psychopath.

Return to Washington Wizards